Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Here's to a successful thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Clearly BLM is a mentally linked monolith, only an unthinking hivemind would care if a member was killed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

evilmiera posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm reading this wrong, but racism's been around for pretty much all of human history in some form or another.

In this instance I believe they mean the specific situation of racism in America.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

If a few words on the internet is all it takes for one to do a complete 180 and not care anymore, then they might want to go back and reexamine how committed they were to anti-racism from the start.

"GOD those black people were so rude about all white people"

*changes browser tab*

"Why are black people so rude and uncultured?"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One can draw a distinction between active harm and passive harm, but the focus should be on stopping all harm as opposed to tutting at the latter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I'm generally distrustful of any "rising tide lifts all boats" stuff.

Pretty much - Sanders' proposals may have boosted the quality of life for some black Americans, but it's a bucket of water on an inferno, really...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

If we are at the point where we are measuring feet jumped to have a family of four live in a car, we've clearly reached the cosmic center of insanity

I retroactively apologize for my father using the car we failed to pay off that could have instead been failed to pay off by a black poor family. I hope this ancestral sin does not get in the way of us tackling the fact that billionaire men are loving us over.

I believe their point was that your dad was even able to have that car to fail to pay off in the first place.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh man I loved his portrayal of Frodo! :v:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*Goku

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lowtax posted:

Anybody using the word niggers should be banned, no questions asked. Please show me any examples of it and I will personally ban them.

The only issue with this is that you can be a lovely poster ruining threads but if you manage to not outright say 'friend of the family' then it's harder for mods to action on it. The volume of reports or maybe just the volume of traffic on the forums these days makes it harder to spot bad posts that aren't instantly obvious due to using specific words.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

zen death robot posted:

Like anyone trusts someone with a Karl Rove av dude

The constant thread invasions are because he said there were WMDs here... it all makes sense.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lowtax posted:

That's why I'm loathed by both the right and left.

Dugin?? Putin's influence reaches to right to the upper echelons of Something Awful...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chelb posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of Jeff Zucker tbqh

gently caress zucker I'm sticking to the Russian hackers angle

they stole SA's credit cards in order to frame Lowtax as a leaky admin in order to put in a puppet moderator

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oracle posted:

same as blacks

C'mon man it was even on the previous page

Koalas March posted:

NEW RULES:
No saying "the blacks", "blacks" etc. it's dehumanizing. Say "Black people". We are people.

Black people are people!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To play half a Devil's advocate - Booker's state has a lot of jobs that rely on those pharma corps.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

That sort of stuff is the usual argument of centrist liberals who aren't actually effected by these issues. I might be wrong but I think history shows that violence is the only way to defeat racists/sexists etc. (as well as being a justified response) and being "kind" to them just let them stamp on you even more.

My man this is significant and crass revision of the polite discussion on Cable Street.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

A question for the residents of Negrotown. I was browsing through my news feed this morning and I saw something about some episode of some British show that's being pulled from the air after a bunch of people got their panties in a twist over a white actor being cast to portray Michael Jackson. And it got me wondering, why is this something worth people flipping their poo poo over while Hamilton is praised as good and cool for the exact same reason?

I admit I haven't seen Hamilton but unless MJ cameos as a founding father I think you might need to clarify what 'same reason' means?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

It also means they don't know poo poo about Jackson, they're making a movie about the Jackson caricature popularized in the last, what, 10 years of his life?

It's apparently an urban myth about him after 9/11 - blackguy32's link here has the full story:

Of note:

quote:

In a 1993 TV interview with Oprah Winfrey, the singer, who died in 2009, once shared his feelings about potentially being played by a white actor after stories circulated that a Caucasian child would play him in a Pepsi commercial.

"That's the most ridiculous, horrifying story I've ever heard," he responded. "It's crazy. Why would I want a white child to play me? I'm a black American. I am proud to be a black American. I am proud of my race. I am proud of who I am.”

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Koalas March has pointed out that Colin Kaepernick took a completely silent form of protest against racism, and look how that has been twisted. It wasn't him being mean or rude to anyone. But it was a great opportunity for people to look up information about racism in the country today, and look how people handled it. The education is out there. I don't know how many times you can inform people about incarceration rates or segregation or redlining just for them to gaslight you without you going insane.

I mentioned it in the Cultural War thread and no matter how well you reach someone in any one situation it's all worthless if they go home and watch Fox News (to get the obvious out of the way) or CNN ("Are Jews human?") or MSNBC (good evening this is your new anchor Megyn "Don't worry kids, Santa is definitely white" Kelly)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah. The show is an intentionally irreverent show, but at least the creators of the show and the actor involved agreed to not run the show after Michael's family objected to it.

Certain other "comedy" shows would have said "gently caress you" and ran it anyway.

Yeah. It's a shame as well because a) it could've been funny and b) Britain's comedy scene does have a diversity problem and it'd be nice to have seen a black comedian (or actor) play the role.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"I have a dream," stated Martin Luther King Jr. "that we stop all this civil disobedience nonsense and try having polite one-on-one conversations with the people voting against our quality of life. If they're not too busy. It is only thr--" [rest of speech obscured by tear gas]

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Taerkar posted:

You're only living under systematic oppression in the United States, not under the result of even worse systematic oppression from many of the same sources in "The Third World" (Which is a lovely term created to basically help justify such things), so be happy about it!

There's always someone worse off than you, so if you think about it, we should all race for the bottom and never improve anything.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

D&D has now lost two moderators in a week. Hopefully that is addressed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lowtax posted:

Okay dude, you win, it was all about the image. I'm still mad about the image. I punched a hole in my drywall I'm so mad.

poo poo I hope it wasn't load beari--

hang on, *looks through protected stairs notes* poo poo I'm ruining the classics

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Yeah like I'm gonna trust what a Zimmerman has to say about a black person's activities.

:shittypop:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PantherWill posted:

Edit: Dammit, I can't img for poo poo...

haha drat man that attempt was tragic

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lowtax posted:

we risk making subforums for every possible discussion topic.

drat it you're on to us.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lowtax posted:

Huh? I was just pointing out that it's funny how both sides of the political spectrum equally hate the choices I make.

Not so say this is one of those instances, but that can be a suggestion that a choice is universally wrong.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thechosenone posted:

Okay, I'm glad to hear that wanting income equality isn't entirely worthless. As it is, I'm just going to lay off the debate and discussion forums right now, since I seem to have worked myself into tears thinking about how useless I am. I apologize for wasting your time, but I appreciate that you were so kind as to waste it on me. I hope one day I can be something other than utterly worthless, and maybe even be halfway helpful to people sometimes. I now this sounds facetious, but I really am a a piece of poo poo, and I hope one day I can be someone people can say was worth being born.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thechosenone posted:

Listen, that is cool of you to say, but I'm honestly thinking that If I want to be of use, that I should stop letting myself post on this forum. Which I'm gonna do until I can't.

I figure I'm gonna look out for number one, and what I'm starting to think is that this internet forum doesn't really do me any good to post on. It isn't you guys, its me, it has always been me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Looking out for number one is the first step to becoming a shithead libertarian I don't recommend it.

captain whiny over there isn't being serious they're just fishing for attention

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Veskit posted:

Fine racist oval office, my point still stands

America's prison system isn't rehabilitation. At best it just delays their next crime. Under such ridiculous circumstances it makes sense to hope that someone who threatened a black child with a weapon for the crime of being black is prevented from continuing their horrible act for as long as possible.

I fully believe that modern prisons should be abolished in favour of genuine rehabilitation centres, but given the state of the US penal system that's like wishing for fireproof ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also please try not to use the word 'oval office' so freely. It's a lazy swear.

• Locked thread