Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I have yet to meet this mythical Bernie supporter that is somehow actually worse than the average American liberal when it comes to matters of minority rights. Why do democrats like this not understand that any efforts to help the impoverished, the unjustly imprisoned, the single mother, are going to overwhelmingly help racial and ethnic minorities? There's no need to say "I want to help all struggling black and latina single mothers", blacks and latinas make up a disproportionate amount of that population and everyone that's a struggling single mother deserves help. It's not queer-bashing to say that everyone who lives in poverty deserves help, even though transpeople are much more likely than average to live in poverty. I just don't understand why Hillary supporters keep inventing this straw-leftist, especially now that the race is over and abuela loving blew it on an unthinkable scale. To allude to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s comment on white moderates, as a loving Hillary supporter criticizing Bernie supporters, is the most goddamn self-unaware thing I have ever read. Hillary may have founded her campaign on criminal justice reform but her history with that movement is just as paternalistic as the white moderates who vexed Dr. King. Now more than ever we have to work together to overcome the situation we're in, and pithy bullshit like this is what got us here in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

or maybe we actually experienced Sanders supporters and their 'no war but class war' mindset actively trying to minimize minority issues in Democratic circles during the primary and thought it was kinda lovely.

I mean, it's either 'the world is conspiring against us' or 'maybe we had some lovely people and Sanders' message could have been delivered better'.

That's fair, but "I prefer white nationalists to Bernie supporters" just smacks of anger over the election results rather than any actually productive sentiment, and Bernie himself would have been a stronger civil rights candidate than Hillary.

What are some examples of economic justice rhetoric harming minority rights?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

do you mean historic or recent?

A lot of discussion that happened when minority activists voiced their issues with what they saw as Sanders' single focus on economic justice was around the whole 'well when we fix class inequality racial inequality will go away too'. That's just not reality historically speaking, and the left rallying around some kinda 'a rising tide lifts all boats' message was a pretty big turn-off for people who have very clear memories of when the tide rose for just one chunk of Americans and was called a success.

You have examples like The New Deal having multiple provisions meant to outright ban blacks from accessing it or even in best cases just make it super hard, education reform that focuses on higher education but ignores pre-k to high school where tons of minority students are most likely to be disillusioned and ripe for dropping out of the system.

It's a reason why people reacted poorly to Bernie's 'it's not enough to be a woman' tweet, because unless we have leaders who are actually from these communities these issues get ignored while the fixes that focus on the majority get held up as grand victories. There are very very very few people genuinely saying 'being a woman' was all they wanted in a candidate, and everyone knows that because otherwise we'd have had people like Bachmann and Palin and Haley rising up in the primaries and poo poo rather than hilariously flaming out with the rest. They are, however, saying that 'being a woman' or 'being black' or 'being latino' or whatever are positive factors in a candidate they'd already support politically, and dismissing it as 'identity politics' just feeds into the idea that whatever economic justice that happens will once again be written mostly by straight white dudes with that lens defining what a 'win' is.

Oh I am very familiar with things like how the New Deal benefits and the post-WW2 GI bill almost exclusively went to white families. To your second point, having gone to school in rural south Texas I am also pretty intimately familiar with lovely public schools and de facto segregation (I'm latino). It's true that historically sweeping economic justice reform was white supremacist, just like how early workers' unions and feminist movements were also white supremacist. Modern civil rights and economic justice movements, such as those supported by Bernie Sanders, practice intersectionality, though, and frequently make reference to the needs of minorities in relation to their planned reform, so I feel it's not a relevant comparison to make. I don't think there were many people who were pulling for Hillary just because she was a woman, but I don't believe for a second that just because she's female her lived experiences would have made her a stronger candidate on minority rights than Bernie Sanders.

Lord Hydronium posted:

You might even say that all lives matter.

BLM is a necessary movement because institutional racism is epidemic in the United States, and not just in criminal justice. There are still plenty of poor-rear end whites, and to imply that they are poor because of their own mistakes or lack of work ethic or weak morals is to promote the same just-world bullshit that makes a movement like BLM important.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

i resist my urges to be snappy with my responses to people because it is the demense of trump and white nationalism to treat your opponents without the intellectual respect they deserve.

i feel i will suffer for this eventually

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

I don't think anyone's saying we should ignore white poverty (well, someone probably is, it's the internet after all), but I'm saying it is important to specifically talk about black and Latina (and other demographics) poverty as part of that message. It's a "yes, and" type situation. Just like BLM isn't ignoring that white people can be brutalized and murdered by police too.

The whole idea that economic justice and social justice aren't antithetical and both should be focused on is entirely true, the main problem that I see is that usually when people say that (on these forums, at least) the next sentence is something like "And that's why we should focus on economic justice so it solves social justice." If you actually do want to focus on both, you specifically need to focus on both, rhetorically and in policy. And that means not just saying "let's solve problems for everyone" and hoping that, despite a country's history of evidence to the contrary, this isn't taken to mean "let's solve problems for white people".

(And just for the record, none of this should be taken as a statement on what Sanders or Clinton did or didn't do, I'm speaking generally of the message of the party rather than specific candidates.)

I feel that you and I fundamentally agree on this :shobon: I'm always really careful how I word my views on economic justice precisely because whites traditionally are oppressors and they still make up the majority of the capitalist class today. Ever since I actually started thinking about politics, demography, and sociology, though, it has always been my view that a poor white has more in common with a poor black than with a rich white.

I also find that I usually have much more difficult, bitter arguments with people I basically agree with.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah I think it's more accurate to say "the oppressors have traditionally been white" than to say "whites traditionally are the oppressors". Whites in general have a lot of privileges that were granted to them on the basis of their skin color, but most of them are incidental, or specifically designed to control them into acting against their own best interest. I think "oppressor" is a term that should really be reserved for those with a modicum of actual political power, and that has not generally applied to the majority of white people.

Ehh, perhaps the language is too strong, but even if the majority of American whites aren't members of the capitalist class, the majority of American whites have enjoyed the benefits of subsidy at the expense of minorities in one way or another.

gently caress this. How do I get involved? I live in south Texas and I legit just want to start making the world a less lovely place with my own two hands. (No I will not kill my are self)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

Yes, historical benefits of racism still linger today. So therefore?

therefore gently caress bernie bros!!!!!!!! :saddowns:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

And the reason for that shift? To get Hillary elected.

Who was the DNC chair in 2010? Maybe just some bureaucrat? Oh it was the 2016 VP pick of Clinton? Huh, must just be a happy coincidence I guess.

The attempt to make Tim Kaine cool with the cocked-eyebrow logo branding made me cringe. Really, the entire Clinton campaign just felt... prepackaged. Like a Big Mac or a Snickers Bar or something. A bunch of men in suits with thick data reports build a factory. A tube excretes some flesh-colored paste onto a conveyor belt. The belt carries the paste into an oven for precisely 15 minutes. A robot claw reaches into the oven, grabs the paste, and wraps it in a piece of plastic with a flashy label on it. Bam, there's our candidate.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Homeless Friend posted:

I'm taking a journey through anti-Bernie twitter and :stonk:

"We will invite you to the four-million-member-strong Pantsuit Nation Facebook group, so you can witness the overwhelming enthusiasm and heartbreak for Hillary — a powerful movement that’s not fading way and whose collective voice can help effect positive change moving forward."

How the gently caress do you even constructively engage with people like this? Ostensibly, they're on our "team", and yet their devotion to a failed candidate and destructive worldview weighs us down like ballast. There must be some way to compromise with people like this who just think YEAH BLUE TEAM and don't realize that yes, democrats can suck, too.

Oh and I asked this a few weeks ago but no one answered:

What is a good way to get involved politically or socially at the local level? By which I mean volunteering or community organizing. I want to make the world a better place with my own two hands, even if it's just helping a neighborhood get working streetlights or helping people get clean clothes so they can go to job interviews.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Nameless_Steve posted:

Oh, no, Cory Booker! He likes the idea of charter schools and doesn't completely loving hate the banks, he might as well be a Republican!

You're right that we can't be at each other's throats now, but surely you have to see that someone like Booker represents a step backward rather than forward. Democrats like him only support social justice until it interferes with corporate interests. They're the reason why working-class Republicans continue to exist, even though the Civil Rights Act which spawned them was half a century ago.

mugrim posted:

Work a pantry or bank, meet with the county Dems repeatedly. Work on some school board elections.

The biggest thing you can do that will have results you can see and feel would be helping to create a union at your place of employment if you're in a state you can. Also, the $15 dollar movement is making real headway in tons of larger cities, and many of those organizers will be doing bigger things in their future.

I live in south Texas. Specifically, the District which used to send the noble and esteemed Dr. Ron Paul to congress time and again.

I actually remember the congressional ads from his race in the 90s when I was a kid. "If I were you, I'd be leery of Sneery."

Chillgamesh has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Dec 5, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Joementum posted:

Sounds like she'll be Person of the Forty Years instead.

https://twitter.com/CharlotteAlter/status/806480050942054402

Ah yes, Hillary Clinton, that American Moses, that Arkansian Gandhi, that modern Tubman, that white Chavez, that great champion of the Amersduigaiudfsvhasdfhuiot

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

this but replace the lavos hell screech with the sound of a crowd chanting "LOCK HER UP"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

"josip broz" would be a good gang tag

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Baloogan posted:

trump gonna get 2-3 supremes

Man, I just recalled the joy I and others shared when Antonin Scalia died earlier this year. 2016 truly has found a way to turn everything good to ashes.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Uncle Wemus posted:

Have there been a lot of filibusters for actual good causes im having a hard time thinking of any

Wendy Davis stood up in front of the Texas Senate a while back for 20+ hours to try and block that awful bill that made it so virtually all but a handful of the women's health clinics in the state had to shut down. She did successfully block it, but the governor called an emergency session the next day to pass it anyway.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

WOO!!
Oh yeah!

Bernin' around at the speed of sound
Got places to go
Got to vote out the Cheeto

Can't stick around, have to keep bernin' on
Big bankers ahead
They'll want government handouts

Just keep on bernin' ahead
No time for Clinton
Vote for Sanders instead

They were wrong to trust Hillary
The only winner was Bernie

D J T
Victory
The Democrats shouldn't have voted for Hillary

Bernie Sanders
would have won

D J T
Victory
The Democrats shouldn't have voted for Hillary

Bernie Sanders was way better
Hillary bad

Oh yeah!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

im never on time for this poo poo

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

MaxxBot posted:

Matt Yglesias is obsessing over the idea of Matt Damon running in 2020 and sadly if the field is a bunch of Cory Booker types I'd probably vote for him.

why the gently caress not, if republicans can get an idiot clown with a piss fetish elected than surely the democrats can get some worthless hollywood prettyman in office as well

i mean poo poo that's basically ronald reagan

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Concerned Citizen posted:

yes clearly hillary lost due to yard signs

Personally I think you are undervaluing the significance of a concrete symbol like a yard sign. Seeing people tangibly supporting a candidate in large numbers publicly could definitely sway someone's decision to go vote or who to vote for. Obviously it's not the deciding factor but tbqh I'd rather have $2m spent on something like yard signs than Yet Another Music Video Starring Beyonce, Now Watch This Hillary Cameo On Broad City.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Hillary's campaign felt more like it was trying to sell me a Doritos™ Locos Taco Combo than a presidential candidate.

e(dballs):

Concerned Citizen posted:

you're overvaluing it. if yard signs won elections, ron paul would be president. are they somewhat useful in some contexts? sure. in a presidential race, it's a waste of money. if there are any people who will change their vote because they saw a lot of yard signs in a presidential race, they are vastly swamped by the votes you lose because you weren't knocking on doors, making calls, or using that money to send mail or be on tv.

It's like I said, by no means are they a game winner, but considering what the Clinton campaign chose to spend money on instead...

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the key take away

:nattyburn:

I want to imagine that person whom is the subject of the article reading it and feeling an overwhelming mixture of anger and shame, but I can't believe anything good can happen on this gay planet any more.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

if they constantly lose then how come they run the party

do not underestimate the enemy

It's almost as though the guys that are really good friends with moneyed interests have more money than the guys who want to break up the moneyed interests! How could this be!!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

a win's a win

if money helps them win then progressives are gonna have to overcome that, not whine about how unfair it is

I'm not whining about it being unfair, I'm just saying the corporatist faction's position in party leadership is a function of their seniority, which they have primarily because of Bill's push in the 80s-90s to recenter the party to the right and bring in a shitload of corporate money, not because of any brilliance in leadership.

Majorian posted:

Welllll, don't brush off his underlying point too quickly, though. Part of the Clinton camp's dominance over the Democratic Party is because they understand the machinery and levers of power better than their challengers do. That's something that the Sanders camp needs to change in the near future.

It's all well and good to say that, but christ I don't even have the faintest idea of where to start.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

oooh poo poo cory in the house senate!!

etalian posted:

Too bad their controlling of the DC establishment machinery and levels didn't result in a victory against the most under qualified president candidate in US history.

Fuuu-KKEN BERNIE BROOOOOOS

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

etalian posted:

Hillary also had twice the GE budget of Trump but still lost.

Very sad, I guess money can't buy every election.

Now the failed Hillary Clinton has quit politics and also did not attend any of the Pro-Obamacare rallies

b-b-but Trump got so much free coverage from the media :qq:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Majorian posted:

Good. One less opponent in the way of Ellison.

Unless he leverages his corporate financial support superior leadership skills and knowledge of Washington's inner workings to win the election!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Majorian posted:

Don't diminish the importance of knowing Washington's inner workings; it's a big part of why Sanders' campaign ultimately didn't succeed.

Care to elaborate? Genuinely, I'm not being sarcastic. I've got faint memories that some of his high-tier campaign staff were inexperienced or made poor choices but I'd love to read a postmortem if you have a link to a good one.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

I like the irony of the berniebros still clamoring that they would have won while simultaneously mocking Clinton people for revisionist history. Not a good look imo.

How are those ideas in any way dissonant with one another :confused:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Whenever I see "migf" I think "migas" and get hungry. Welp thats my post.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Nice to know Hillary totally bought into the bernie bros narrative and wasn't just selling it to her supporters... I think.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unlike many posters, I trust myself...

...and Spumoni.

i would destroy this and then feel deeply ashamed of myself later

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Scent of Worf posted:

And that Lite moniker is the difference between right-wing American hellscape and Scandinavian-consistently-rated-the-most-prosperous-and-happiest countries in the world paradise

tbf Scandinavian countries still benefit bigly from the Capitalist Death Machine crushing third world workers to death, it's just less immediately obvious because they aren't also directly crushing third world workers to death with their armies

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

logikv9 posted:

buttigieg :getin:

im out of the loop out on the butt train whats the fast facts on buttigieg

e: googling buttigieg rn

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

all i can find on the buttman is that hes a young mayor with military background. wheres he stand on the policies. fill me in thread!!!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. He actually does sound like someone to keep an eye on, if he can energize people the way Obama and Bernie did. Certainly would like to see more of him than someone like Booker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

It motivates people because white supremacy makes them feel good. It assures them that they're special, and they deserve to be on top, and they will be if they can just get rid of the people taking away their birthright.

If it goes far enough, opposition to white supremacy is going to be a motivating force for the left. I suppose the problem is that so many timid moderates are afraid to criticize dog whistle far-right rhetoric for fear of alienating whites, and that they lack the will and desire to seize upon the kind of rhetoric used by union and socialist organizers in the 20s and 30s to energize the left back then. The left needs a good firebrand.

• Locked thread