Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Isn't Monk a liability on the defense end? That alone makes me hesitant for the Sixers to draft him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's played very well in the last few weeks in the three areas that people are looking at: defense, shooting the 3, and pick+roll.

Yeah my best case scenario for the Sixers this draft is Fultz/Nitilikina

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Fultz and Monk is ideal, but unlikely. I think Philly finishes better than the Suns, Heat, and Nets tbh

Yeah I think, especially when Simmons comes back and gets a rhythm (as much as a rookie can, really), the Sixers have a legit shot to be out of the top 3.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

mikeraskol posted:

Josh Jackson is loving old, holy poo poo. I hadn't realized that.

I don't know how Malik Monk is going to shake out in the NBA but man he is fun to watch play right now. I think he's going to be an incredible scorer in the NBA, though I worry about the 6'3" size.

I just worry about him defensively. He's likely going to score at will, I agree.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I have to guess that the Celtics, should they luck into #1 via the Nets pick, would take Jackson in a heartbeat

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Can people who watch more college bball than me talk to me about Jonathan Isaac? I'm hearing Brandon Ingram comparisons, is this true?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

My casual observations:

His per 100 possession numbers are actually better than Ingram's. He's lengthy and has a huge ceiling defensively. Not quite as good a shooter as Ingram from 3 point range but has a better overall FG% and is a much better free throw shooter. His rebounding is pretty loving elite for his position too. Overall I think he's better defensively too, racks up a good amount of steals and blocks.

Basically, I know he plays on a better team than Ingram did and I might be talking out of my rear end but I prefer him as a prospect when comparing the two. I think there's a pretty good chance that had he been in last years class he would've went #2.

Thanks. Yeah his length and defensive potential is what intrigues me as a Sixers fan. I'm imagining the Sixers being able to get him and Ntilikina and having all that length and defense (with Simmons and Embiid)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
There are two scenarios that would make me an extremely happy Sixers fan in this draft.

1. Drafting Fultz

2. Getting the Lakers pick and our own within the range to get Isaac and Ntilikina.

I don't ask for much

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Depending on fit I think he may actually still go #1 after the combine etc...teams will talk themselves into him

Yeah I could definitely could see Boston taking him #1

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

Back to Ntilikina, he doesn't seem as zippy as the other guys, but he seems a lot longer. It's hard because in the non camp video he's playing competition between like really good high school team and division 2 college teams, and he easily just drives through a crowd. IT doesn't tell you much about him. In the camp videos you see a bit of his passing, you see his sort of in progress jumper. On defense he's like a more athletic George Hill, obviously without all the knowledge and skill, but he has the desire and body type to be a very good 1/2 defender. I think he'll be a clearly better player than Dennis Schroder, even if he isnt as lightning quick, his length and passing ability make him stand out. That's just an african-german heritage recent NBA player comp and feel free to put me into lazy comp jail over it. Schroder is a waterbug type who hasn't ever turned his wingspan into decent NBA defense, and never really defended before getting to the NBA. Ntilikina sees the game like a pg, he tries on defense, he'll need to make an adjustment to length and speed. Developing a decent three is really important for him, less so than say, Dennis Smith Jr, because he's not a super athlete.

I really LOVE Ntilikina as a prospect. If the Sixers get both picks this year (and they don't get #1) I really hope they use one on him and one on one of Jackson/Tatum/Isaac

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

I think these are decent snap judgements if you are only looking at offensive potential.

Defensively Fox is clearly the standout of the three. Monk looked lost a lot of the time on switches and in general. I think Ball looked less athletic as you said, because Fox was playing very good defense on him.

I still think Ball is probably the best overall prospect of the three (though it's closer than it was before), but this game solidified that I would want Fox over Monk on my team.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

MourningView posted:

Ball has goofy mechanics but he can still reliably knock down shots if he's open which is still valuable. Rubio is a really bizarre comparison.

Fox has looked a lot better for the last month or so but he's still he worst shooting guard in the draft and that's hard to work with unless you think he's Westbrook or Wall level athletic. I've probably been under rating him a bit but he's going to come out of the tournament overrated, I think

I like Fox in the right situations. I'd take him on the Sixers.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Ball or Jackson if it's 2-3. Monk, Tatum, or Ntilikina if they're in the 5-7 range.

I'd take Smith or Fox over Monk, but yeah pretty much this.

e: \/ yeah this is closer to the truth. they don't have any legit starter at 1-3 with the exception of maybe Covington if you value defense over everything else.

It's almost a "can't miss" draft for them with the top 9 prospects being guards or wings

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 26, 2017

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Rick posted:

2020 Sixers are great and Magic can't destroy the Lakers. Everyone wins.

More specifically though, it's probably easier for the Sixers to draft someone like Monk who might have a pretty low ceiling but will probably be a decent reserve.

Yeah this.

Though if I were running the draft board, and the Sixers got 2 top 6 picks I would still skip Monk and get the best PG and the best wing available on the board.

E: or package one of the picks in a superstar deal

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah that's a perfect scenario right there.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ButtWolf posted:

Jesus, PHI would have 1,5,6(prob - their own)at that point. Cleveland had 1 and 4 w Kyrie and TT. What other teams have had 2 lottos picks? 3?

They'd only have 1 and 5 in this scenario. The SAC pick would convey as a swap.

Would still be amazing.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ButtWolf posted:

Yeah my bad. Even still that woud mean Fultz and maybe Monk or something which would be ridiculous.

I still wouldn't take Monk

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So I've been turning the corner about Monk. He's way more athletic than I gave him credit for and I could definitely see him playing next to Simmons, especially in a scenario where you can surround him with Covington and another defensive minded wing/guard.

In fact, Monk and Isaac would really be a jackpot situation

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah I'm of the opinion that it's better for the Lakers pick to convey this year so they can get a combination of a wing and a guard (Monk/Isaac is my current obsession) to play with Embiid/Simmons (and probably Covington unless they go FA).

I'm really excited about the future

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So, while I know it's completely ridiculous and futile, mock drafting is actually kind of hard to do, especially outside of the lottery.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

kiimo posted:

Yeah Jackson played 4 at Kansas with the small ball thing and it was awesome to watch but there's quite a big difference between guarding a college 4 and guarding Blake Griffin.

I'm a complete Kansas homer and I'd draft Fultz over Jackson and even as loathe as I am to admit it, probably Ball too.

It definitely all depends on how the lottery falls.

I think any team who gets 1 should draft Fultz no matter what, but I could see a team like Minnesota or Phoenix valuing Jackson over Ball

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

kiimo posted:

Sitting here re-thinking my "Celtics need Fultz or Ball" prediction. Josh Jackson would have been clutch in that game last night and I am no longer sure you ever want to take the ball out of Thomas' hands.

I think Fultz could give you more off ball than Bradley does.

Like a lot more.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Rick posted:

I don't think Boston would have to move whoever they draft completely off the ball.

Like the reason the Lakers have problems with this draft if they have a pick is they have Russell, Clarkson, Randle, (if he's still there) Nick Young, even Ingram right now are guys who need to be on the ball. Boston really only has IT so another guy with the ball could be perfectly fine.

Yeah, when I said off ball I didn't mean he would never handle the ball, but it would be a primary/secondary scenario

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

kiimo posted:

Take Josh Jackson and I will make it to completion

Joel's energy is going to get them 1 and 4, and they're going to take Fultz and Isaac.

It is known

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

If the Sixers end up with say picks 1 or 2 and 6, would a backcourt of Fultz and Fox or Ball and Fox fit with Cov/Ben/Embiid?

It all depends on what things look like, but Isaac would be my second pick if he were available at 6.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I don't really see Isaac playing the 3 in the NBA, at which point I would see Markennen being a lot more valuable. I guess that all depends on if you think you can shove Simmons to the 3 on defense.

If that scenario comes to pass, I'd go Fultz at 1 and Monk at 6. Fultz/Monk/Saric/Simmons/Embiid is an awesome lineup. I think Fultz/Monk could probably swap on defense.

I can see that too (fultz/monk)

In any event (unless you draft Fox, which is a terrible idea for the Sixers), Covington is going to start because he's by far the best perimeter defender on the team and you're going to put him at the '3' but he's likely going to switch on D to take on the best offensive player. He can switch 1-3 with no problem. You would have to try to hide Monk like Boston tries to hide IT but it might be good enough offensively to be ok.

I happen to think Isaac is quick enough to hang with 3s on defense, but that's just me.

e: \/ even if I believe in his shot, if (and again, I'm taking a leap of faith here) you believe in Simmons running the 1 on offense, you do yourself a disservice selecting Fox and then taking the ball out of his hands

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 12, 2017

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

If the Sacremento pick swap comes through for Philly that place may take off into outer earth orbit.

1 and 4 with the swap giving the Sixers 1.

I think it has a 0.2% chance of happening but i'm crossing my fingers so hard

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
e: welp my stream is behind

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Rick posted:

Probably worse, even if they make the "correct" pick. They'll be giving two guys under 21 Lou Williams and Nick Young's minutes which should counteract any sort of gains they would've made by their players getting older.

Yep. They'll likely have a top 5-6 pick next year (which belongs to the Sixers outright)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

kiimo posted:

Sixers: They’ll have a loving weird rear end lineup with a 6’9 PG, a 7’2 center who hits 3s, and jackson, who floats from 2-4 depending on the lineup playing balls to the wall every second. Screw shooting, this team would own so hard. 

Yeah the Sixers are going to be fun as hell to watch this year if they get Jackson.

Both Jackson AND Covington can float 2-4 defensively so I'm thinking you can put them both on the floor at the same time. Sign a short term solution in the backcourt like a Dion Waiters and roll out

Simmons - Waiters - Covington - Jackson - Embiid

I literally bought season tickets 4 days ago so that would definitely be worth my investment

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

paternity suitor posted:

I had a dream last night about how dominating a defense with Embiid/RoCo/Jackson would be. I woke up so excited

Exactly

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 17, 2017

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

You can find shooters in free agency, you can't find a Josh Jackson in free agency

I think this is a very salient point.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

New York Daily News guy.

Might be overhyping Smith so the fan base is cool when the Knicks take him.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to Smith if Brett Brown can get him actually working on the defensive end.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Metapod posted:

Have as many guys who can initiate the offense as possible

This is why I've come around to Smith.

You could even stagger minutes so that at least one of the two (Smith or Simmons) is on the floor all 48 minutes.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

If you want evidence that BS is really out of touch on basketball nowadays...

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/869243545374269440

Why would the kings even need to be involved there?

3+ LAL 18 + Saric for Fultz straight up.

Ainge would laugh in Colangelo's face

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The latest DX mock has the Kings getting Tatum and DSJ. No loving way Vivek and co. fall into something that prosperous.

DSJ isn't lasting to 10

The more I think about it I definitely want the Sixers to either take Jackson or trade out of the pick to someone that wants Jackson

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Lockback posted:

JJ seems like a bad fit for Philly, but there is a ton of star potential there so I can definitely see them rating him in a higher tier than Ball. If the Lakers take JJ then Ball would give them a potential big-time scorer and his weaknessed are covered by Simmons (in theory).

It would have been really nice to have even 15-20 games of Simmons in the NBA to judge what they should do in this draft though.

I think most teams now try to have two playmakers/ball handlers anyway. If you have that in the backcourt which one is SG and which one is PG is pretty irrelevant.

This is why I'm leaning - and I ultimately think Colangelo is leaning - towards Dennis Smith Jr

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Sixers beat writers going nuts over the Monk workout today. Way more hyperbolic praise (and coverage in general) than any other prospect so far.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Lakers 2018 is way valuable, but if it's Sixers 2019 pick it (hopefully) won't be a lottery pick anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

Sixers getting fultz with the lakers pick would be magical

MCW turned into Fultz

Hinkie be praised

• Locked thread