Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

Have you ever worn a skirt? Nothing better in warm weather.

I have a couple of sarongs for around the house and they are fantastic. There's nothing stopping me from wearing them out, other than looking a bit weird in semirural Tasmania.

Tiggum posted:

I carry my keys, phone and wallet in my pockets every time I leave the house. I think I've maybe worn through the pockets of one pair of pants in the last decade?

I think I'm just hard on clothes. I've had pants tear on the seam because I deigned to squat down with things in my pockets. Like solid khakis. I don't think I've had a pair of pants last more than a year for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Spain has mandated naps and amazing food and wine everywhere

Siesta's great and I love a kalimoxto, but for some reason, Spain, as a whole, has nailed sandwiches. I'd say that the top ten sandwiches I've eaten in my life would have been in Spain.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

my ideal government is probably some kind of benevolent conspiracy of Learned Men

Lottery in Babylon starting to feel like valid way of running a country.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's a beverage.

I like that the little fisherman on the label is like "yeah, nah".

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

And The Vaselines are cool, but the Nirvana covers are at least as good as the originals.

I want to like the Vaselines more - I get Son of a Gun stuck in my head pretty frequently - but they seem unable to write a whole song. They get a catchy verse and chorus going, then seem to run out of ideas and just play the first bits over again.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

This feels like a lot of ninties rock, and not in a good way like in the eighties

Btw is that Evola as your avatar? Dude was one of the nuttiest lads I've ever read

Someone with an all-round unengaging song is one thing, but the Vaselines have really good hooks, so its disappointing that they keep running out of steam.

And no, its Karel Capek, the playwright. They do look kinda similar though. They could have been pretty good Draculas if they'd been in films.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Interesting, he's the lad who created the term robot, I've heard the story but never put a face to the name. Yeah being a dracula probably would've been a better choice for Evola at least, rather than becoming a superfascist. He was even a count.

I feel you could make one of those political compasses for 30's Italy and each corner would just be a different flavour of fascism.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the best fish and chips i ever ate was on the beach at Blackpool on a sunny September day

and let me tell you, i have eaten a lot of fish and chips

As an Australian, I expected so much from fish and chips when I was in the UK. But it was literally fish. And chips. So sad.

That said, my go-to supper in Glasgow was deep-fried haggis, so I guess land/contrasts.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fish sauce is for when I don't want to chop anchovies.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Timely DMX-related opinion: Cradle 2 the Grave was a really good action movie with a bonus of a good soundtrack. It's like half past dead but better but still bad enough to be good.

Which is the one where Steven Seagal is beaten down to crossing guard or traffic duty? I remember being confused if it was a parody or not.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

fizzymercury posted:

That's Exit Wounds, my favorite good bad movie.

Oh goody. I was starting to wonder if it was just a fever dream.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Bucatini is the superior Long Noodle

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hey pal you come shave my face twice a day before you start throwing judgements

e: my greatest snipe of all time

I've lived near two places that made god tier burgers (one was even on the Guy Fieri show) but their one crime was insisting on adding too many toppings. There's nothing wrong with a classic boring lettuce/tomato/onion/etc setup but if you're serving an enormous chickpea burger with a bunch of greek toppings I don't need a second entire burger worth of regular burger toppings thanks, just own the haute-cuisine fancy burger.

There used to be a burger chain in Australia called Burger Edge, who had delicious burgers, that were also (and this is the bigger selling point) structurally sound. They rarely fell apart, and if they did, it was usually the last bite or so.

My PHUO is that people focus on the wrong sandwich rule. If you can't eat it one-handed whilst doing something else without causing absolute chaos on your table/floor/crotch then it's not a sandwich.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Corn Dogs sound amazing and I'm kinda mad you don't get them in the uk

Hang on, aren't you Scots? Surely you'd have access to fried food, by definition.

Corndog is a silly name. They're Dagwood dogs here, or Pluto pups, depending which showground or fish shop you're at. Failing that, a battered sav (saveloy) is pretty good too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gripweed posted:

It's strange that the success of Doubles Tennis didn't lead to the popularization of Doubles variants of other popular sports

I'd say all ball-and-racquet sports have a doubles variation. I'm not sure what other sports would have space for doubles.

Diving has a synchronised version for two.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There should be a sport where two teams in full football gear and weapons heavy enough to stun but not hurt behind the armour just have a no-holds-barred brawl to get the ball to the opposing side. No downs, no quarters, no timeouts, full teams on the field.

The closest thing we've got is hockey and people don't even get their throats slit on the ice these days.

If you wait until the collapse of society, you'll be able to enjoy some Jugger.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

driving automatic transmission is as degenerate as using a navigation app, although i guess autopilot is even worse

I've had to go back to a manual car after a couple years of automatic. Now I can't hold a drink or burger in my off hand and it blows.

Best driving experience was from Kumamoto to Takachiyo in Japan. Went above 60kph perhaps twice in two days driving through rural Japan. Navigation and snack eating was well relaxed.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

french customer service culture is better than american

you walk into a small shop, you say bonjour for coming into their space or you're an rear end, you don't wait for the employee to greet you and bow in tribute and beg you to let them help what you find what you need

I feel Spain was like this too, though it's been a decade since I've been there.

Also, shopping late night in SE Asia, where you realise the shop is the front room of the owners house and grandpa is watching stories and there's a kid doing homework in the back corner.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

fizzymercury posted:

Star Trek is a wonderful way to watch seriously good actors go full ham. It's absolutely amazing to watch extremely serious actors chew the scenery like it's a fine beef jerky.

I never understand the story lines or know who anyone is, but I really can't think of another show that's more interesting to watch for the acting.

I watched Farscape for the first time a couple years ago, and enjoyed the constant cameos of B-grade Australian actors. It may have been lost on anyone unfamiliar with Australian film and soaps of the 90's though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

My PHUO regards Dr Who is that the Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) is the best and totally unrelated to me being twelve at the time.

Also, Kandy Man (a psychotic robot made of lollies) is easily my favorites Dr Who bad guy.

https://youtu.be/Qkjc_5yGCmM

"Impolite guests feel the back of my candy hand" is a fantastic line.

Elissimpark has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jun 20, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Guyver posted:

The chad Fist City

That song is the cheeriest threat to throw hands I think I've ever listened to.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I would take a dance scene any day, since it's the same level of work and choreography, its inherently "unrealistic". Whereas the five minute brawls are trying to tell me that this is happening for real in this universe, with people who cannot tire. I think Mr Nobody's bus scene was my favourite one in ages, since the hero kinda got his rear end kicked.

I just YouTube'd that scene and man, Bob Odenkirk going vigilante was a weird tone going in blind with no context.

It was a great scene because it felt like there were stakes in play. If he lost, there was a good chance he'd die. Atomic Blonde's fights had a similar feel, too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh sweet zombie Jesus this thread got grim while I was asleep. drat!

PHUO: pineapple on pizza loving rules.

I'm always puzzled by this. In Australia, anyone ordering large amounts of pizza for a group would probably be murdered if there wasn't at least one Hawaiian there. Its almost like the default pizza. Yeah, you can get plain cheese, but that's for kids and weirdos.

Hint - crack an egg on a Hawaiian pizza and it becomes an Aussie.

PHUO: burger king's Whopper is the best "regular" fast food burger.

Hungry Jack's Big Mac ripoff Big Jack is superior to the Big Mac.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Oh yeah, A&W in Canada is the best overall. I've never once had a bad experience with their food. While I say the Whopper is the best standalone burger, I've had plenty of other food from BK that is underwhelming (their nuggets and fries are routinely disgusting).

But A&W is just always a good time. There's also a good vibe within the building itself. The staff feels more relaxed, the colours and lighting are good, and there's always a handful of elderly people quietly hanging out in a corner with big ol' frosty mugs of root beer.

For those who don't know, if you go into the restaurant you can order a root beer that comes in a glass thats stored in a misted freezer, so they always come out with a layer of ice that is extremely satisfying to sip from.

Its just relaxing to spend time in an A&W.

Man, I love A&W but the only time I get to go is in Malaysia, so once every 2-3 years. I tried to buy one of those mugs last time, but they had none for sale.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's Bundaberg

Bundaberg is sarsaparilla, which is like root beer's cousin. A&W is definitely the best root beer. Hartz here in Tasmania is the best sars.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I was going to ruthlessly own you, but apparently Bundaburg just renamed their Sarsparilla to Root Beer in the US. This should be illegal. The best Sarsaparilla is obviously Sioux City Sarsaparilla, get one of them with a Twin Bing and you'll have had everything of worth Iowa ever produced

And it's still the same brew they make in Australia. It's solid, just not my favorite.

I'd never heard of a Twin Bing before, but now I have I would happily eat several with a Sioux City sars.

I wish Australia was bit more interesting chocolate bar wise.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bargearse posted:

It is acceptable to eat a meat pie with a knife and fork.

You, sir, are a disgrace to your avatar. May you crash into a giant Pollywaffle.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Long hair on guys is immensely cuter than short, or worse, an undercut with a long top like is fashionable today. Gimme an Aragorn lookin dude.

If you have good hair, sure. My hair is fine, so the longer it gets, the skeevier I look. I have a passport photo from my twenties which makes me look like either a meth addict or a sex offender.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Look up the Wikipedia article for Miracle Whip for possibly the most unflattering picture of miracle whip ever

I was expecting some gimmick related joke there, but no, that is pretty unappetizing.

More like oldhyperboleless.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm aghast that someone would only have one pair. I've got like six pairs of measuring cups and four measuring spoons.

I do immediately un ring then after purchase and just let them sit in the drawer stacked

Same, but I also recently realised that one set is actually US cups and not metric, which is weird for Australia. On the other hand, I can make David Eyre's pancakes with the correct volumes.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I use a food scale personally

I know what you mean, but picturing someone weighing out 10g of sugar for their cup of tea on oversized grocery scales is much more amusing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

doverhog posted:

Putting sugar in tea is almost as perturbing as putting it in salad cream.

I use sweetener in my tea and, depending on the salad, use sugar in salad dressing.

* swirls black satin cape and vanishes in puff of burnt sugar smoke.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Has muscles/is strong does not always mean healthy.

A lot of these extreme fitness routines put a lot of stress and wear on the heart that can't be repaired easily (and can often go undiagnosed), and slowly turn knees and other joints into a fine dust.

Both strong man and sumo wrestler diets push 10-12k calories a day. They're basically running their bodies on turbo.

The average lifespan of a sumo wrestler is about 20 years less than the average Japanese person and I would guess it would be similar for strong persons too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

What if I'm jerking off in the museum.

*long sigh* it's been DONE.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

All this golf chat is lovely, but where do I sign up to bombard the golf courses with the artillery?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Like Cheese and Bacon Balls? Like beer?

Once you're out of lock-down, go to Troika on Lonsdale Street. Not sure if they still have it, but they used to have a weird German beer that tasted exactly like those Balls.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I hope it burns down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ooaiF6SSgw&t=145s

Tiggum posted:

I do like both those things separately. This beer, however, does not sound good.

"Tiggum, would you like some Cheetos?"
"Unfortunately I have started drinking this beer so I shall have to decline your offer."

(More seriously, its certainly an interesting beer. I couldn't do more than one in a night though.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Shakespare was actually really popular with the common folk. One of his most popular plays doesn't get performed that much these days, but when it does there's often a splash zone for the fake blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Lu_CBRLnM

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Easter itself always falls on a Sunday, although I'm not familiar with any particular tradition that celebrates it from Friday onto the next Tuesday. Are you possibly thinking of either Holy Week (Palm Sunday to Easter) or maybe just the Paschal Triduum (Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday)?

E: Oh, here we go, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octave_of_Easter

I learned a new Christian tradition today!

That's interesting, but Tiggum is in Victoria, Australia where the Tuesday after Easter has been (or maybe was) a public holiday for a long time. I don't think it was ever for religious reasons. None of the other states have (or had) the Tuesday off.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gripweed posted:

You should click it, I guarantee you it's not about being a man on Tinder. There's two mediocre poems at the start, which seem like the kinda stuff you specifically don't like, but the third poem is a real treat.

Just flick forward til you see the scruffy gentleman. Joe Wilkinson is actually funny and I recommend his work with Two Episodes of M*A*S*H.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I like Matt Berry

If I ever revisit IT Crowd, it is solely for his entrance at his father's funeral and especially the slapsies with the priest.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Filling the market inbetween with Medium Tsar.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Puffins are grossly overrated.

As food or as a bird in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Hyphenated names are aesthetically the most disgusting thing. Keep your own name, take your spouses, hell combine the names like Tanner Greenring did, just don't awkwardly jam two names together. It never sounds right.

Jokes on you, the awkwardly jammed together double-barrell name my wife and I have bequeathed on our children doesn't have a hyphen!

Which seems to be the way its done now - I swear there's about 3 kids in my eldest's kinder class with non-hyphenated hyphenated names.