Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
This argument seems really silly. You are using a single point of data to "prove" that lack of gun control prevents government overreach, ignoring any other potential factors, such as civil society and social norms. You are also ignoring other democratic governments that seem to be doing just fine without second amendment equivalents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I don't know if it's an Unpopular Opinion, but americans are weird. See the last couple of pages in this thread.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
That sure is weird, huh? Glad I am not German, then.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

MizPiz posted:

Good to know you think property rights are far more important than fighting a genocidal police state

:jerkbag:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
My unpopular opinion is that this discussion (or maybe this thread) should be moved to DnD.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, those complaints are entirely valid. Gone Home isn't a good game. Adventure games just always get rated way higher than they deserve because fans of the genre are so used to mediocrity and taking whatever scraps they can get their hands on.

Or they see different things in these games than you do?

My Unpopular Opinion is that people who talk about what rating something "deserves" are obnoxious.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
My Unpopular Opinion is that societal and systemic issues can't be hand-waved away as personal failures.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Australians need to stop complaining about how video games and table top miniatures are more expensive in their country. No one cares. No one will ever care. Just shut up or get a different hobby.

"No one cares about these opinions." - guy in PYF Unpopular Opinions thread.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I remember the complaints when greenlight was still a thing that it was too much of a barrier that hurt the chances of indie developers. Now they're being hurt by too much junk flooding Steam. Honestly, there doesn't seem to be a good solution here.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Or maybe these things are worth what people are willing to pay for them? If you buy things you don't like just because they are on sale, that isn't something that's the fault of the developer/publisher/marketplace.

It takes less than 10 minutes to check out some videos/reviews/goon impressions of a game and find out if its your thing. Steam shouldn't be responsible for only selling you things you like, the only responsibility they should have is to stop literal scams, malware and asset flips.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Yes? Isn't that what we are supposed to do in this, the Post Your Favorite Unpopular Opinion thread of the somethingawful forums?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So what are we up to now? Four, five people that regularly troll this thread? Can it even be called trolling anymore if all the thread regulars are doing it?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I mean, when half the posts read like they were explicitly designed to piss someone off, I don't really view what happens as a "discussion" in any sense of the word.

It kind of gets tiring to read page after page of "everyone who engages in this relatively normal activity/tradition/media is a complete moron with no ability to function in regular society. Try and debate me, losers :smug:" It gets a bit tiring, you know?

Maybe people can just, idk, share their unpopular opinions and discuss them, without dumb posturing or whatever.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I watched LOGH, Acca 13 and like one or two other series, so its true, I have signed a blood pact with the gods of anime to defend the medium to the death!

Or I just got tired of reading the same smug confrontational tone from posters in this thread on seemingly any subject, no matter how petty or insignificant.

Its one of the two.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Is someone literally advocating for Social Darwinism and/or Eugenics in this thread?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Wheat Loaf posted:

My parents are Christians, not Catholics.

Oh, word? Which Orthodox denomination do they belong to?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Do you not know that CSPAM exists? Not every subforum needs to be the exact same thing.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well yeah but like 3/4 of DnD is the Judean People’s Front joke but with people who think the average human being is a twitter communist

Well, half the threads in CSPAM are even worse in that regard and the moderation there is much more lax. That's just the audience for political debate on SA, whether you like it or not. LF is dead and gone.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Okay. You've really convinced the rest of the world that their system is crap with this incredibly strong argument.

Or maybe everyone is more comfortable with the temperature system they grew up using, and there is no inherent advantage or disadvantage to either for everyday life.

The advantages of Celsius is that it is more easily compatible with Scientific measurements and Kelvin, but that doesn't matter to most people.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Shibawanko posted:

I mean, the corrupt Samsung guy walked while half of Seoul was out on the streets. Protests are not very effective at accomplishing things against real power. I seriously doubt he'll really end up in prison, or at least in the same way that a normal person who committed the same crime would.

On the other hand, mass protest was really effective at ousting the previous South Korean President, so :shrug:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
IDK anything about Warhammer 40k, but from reading this discussion I have developed a new Unpopular Opinion - all of this lore seems like something edgy teens would come up with. I hope it isn't meant to be taken seriously.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Grouchio posted:

Fanboys of the new trilogy are vain manchildren.

Physician, heal thyself

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

steinrokkan posted:

Huge variety *posts endless stream of identical trash*
They didn't quote your posting history though?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The best metal band is Babymetal.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Shibawanko posted:

i mostly don't really parse what's in people's avatars and usernames and those dumb gang tags. i think of the poster above my posts here as "yellow avatar guy" for example. i have no idea what any of those tags people have mean or how they got them

wow, being old must suck

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
True leftism has never been tried.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Most of the famous big name anime shows are either utter trash, aimed at 13 year olds or fall drastically in quality towards the end. Sometimes, they do every one of those things!

Despite this, anime is cool and good.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
i love you all

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Collapsing Farts posted:

All anime that is fighty or action-y sucks

Fixed

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

alexandriao posted:

Like I am arguing that there are contextually and culturally objective metrics, and you are agreeing with me but trying to make it look like you are not. So that's like... good job buddy

This IS a semantics argument at its core, but so what? Using terms to mean something opposite to what the other side in the discussion understands them to mean is not going to help get anyones point across.

Like, how do you type out the phrase "contextually objective" and not instantly collapse in a heap of contradictions?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
a real shiba wanker

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I just pay for youtube premium so I can get ad-less youtube on my work pc, home pc and phone

You can get all of this for free

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The US couldn't defeat the Taliban and Vietnam. How would it defeat China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The US empire is decaying in real time, and its most fervent supporters can only lol and lmao instead of acknowledging reality. It's sad to see.