Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Guy Goodbody posted:

Hastings was a fantastic store chain, and it's a shame it was driven out of business by incompetent management

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
If a performance deserves a clap, I clap. It doesn't matter if it's live or not. That's just polite. (wait...am i the weird one?)

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of the greatest crimes of our modern times is that there isn't a single set or series of sets collecting the Hammer Horror movies. They're scattered across dozens of different random DVD collections. It's a mess! It's a loving disgrace.

I think the same thing about the fact that there is no 30 Rock Complete Series box set. It's uncalled for.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Hammer collections available are actively lying to you about the film order!

Yeah, that's bullshit. There is just no love left for those of us that still appreciate physical media.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Tony Gunk posted:

Boneless wings are better than bone-in wings.

I agree and will raise you. I can't stand any bone-in meats. I don't like to be reminded that my food was alive. :cripes:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Caufman posted:

Does the bone accomplish that more than the label 'chicken'?

Absolutely, but mind you, I never claimed to be a rational man.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I want it further on the record that it is actually cracker-crisp thin crust pizza that is the superior style. :colbert:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Im not into this new adults talking like babies thing

That's how they phase us out. Eventually, we'll be speaking different languages and made completely irrelevant.
I, however, am a middle aged Gen X'er. I'm already irrelevant. I get to kick back for the next 30 years and watch the world burn. :tif:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I discovered that I enjoy Star Wars far more once I took it off that pedestal.

Opinion: I enjoyed Solo, and I'm disappointed we won't get to see where that story was going.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Aramek posted:

It's fun to argue about popular culture stuff because we all relate to it and nobody gets hurt.

Exactly. We're suppose to stay away from politics in here and now pop culture and food are being pushed out. The unpopular opinions are going to start getting real specific.

Opinion: All my friends really like Sean, but I think Sean is kind of a dick.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Unpaid internships are bullshit. Oak needs to loving pay those trainers

Also college sports athletes should be paid or compensated with more than just scholarships.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

How do you distinguish between entertainment and art? And you didn't answer the question of what you'd actually like to see done about this. Would there be some sort of government authority that would go "Football? Worthless entertainment. Ballet? Culturally enriching artform."

There would have to be. I would also like to know how such an organization would determine its standard of defining each thing's value. This seems a smidge authoritarian.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
^^^ Totally agree about overused violence. I'm not really bothered by violence anyway; it's gore I can do without. With a few exceptions, I think gore is heavily overused in horror films. It's one of the reasons why I don't care for slasher flicks. That, and it truly scares me when the monsters are human. Monsters, ghosts, demons, all that poo poo is great. Psychos, slashers, and just evil people can gently caress right off. And the cherry on that fear cake is the movie that haunted me the most, and I have refused to ever watch again... Children of the Corn. I HATE EVIL KIDS!

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There is nothing more offensive to me television-wise than those TLC reality shows where it's just "here's someone that pumped themselves up with fertility drugs, watch them scar their 6-12 children for life". They shouldn't be allowed. They are basically circus sideshow exhibits but televised.

Give me 50 mindless big brother clones over that poo poo, at least those people just embarrass themselves instead of raising even more generations of super hosed up kids that can't function later in life if a camera isn't following their every move.

I live less than 5 miles from the Duggars and have run into them in the wild fairly often. And you are absolutely right, they are the loving worst. They also pump millions into local politics to push conservative agendas, which means they are a threat to everyone not just they're children.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Aren't the duggars whole hog quiverful people? That stuff always makes me cringe since i grew up around evangelicals. I can't help but wonder what insane beliefs they're hiding.

I was not familiar with that term, but that sounds about right from what little I know about them. From their clothing, I always assumed Pentecostal but google says Baptist. I don't suppose it matters. They're property looks like a cult compound. Even the married adult children have their own houses on the property. And of course, the oldest boy is a pedophile that may have molested some of his sisters but the state police helped them cover it up. They were poo poo before the show and will be long after it. Sorry for the derail.

Unpopular opinion: I don't like alcohol. Wine is a no. Whiskey is a no. Beer is a hard no. I'll have maybe 2 margaritas a year, and if I'm out and feeling saucy, I'll occasionally get a rum and Coke. I just never really acquired a taste for it, and I don't really enjoy being drunk. I also hate coffee. I do enjoy a bit of weed though.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Agent355 posted:

There is a genetic thing that makes bitter food taste way more intensely bitter than other people experience it. Do chocolate bars/ice cream taste bitter to you? It does to me and I also can't enjoy any alcohol stuff just because it tastes super awful.

Not really, they are still very sweet. Actually, sweet, sour, bitter, salty, all that is pretty extreme for me and about the only "flavors" I get. I had some severe sinus issues a few years ago and lost about 90% of my sense of smell, and it fucks up the way things taste for me.

Ommin has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Oct 4, 2018

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I'm terrified my first kid is going to be just a big dummy. A total blockhead. I don't mean in a developmental way. Just fuckin stupid and unable to change.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

that's it, and the world will probably be unlivable waaay before then.

Isn't...isn't right now "waaay before then"?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wave👏Run👏Ners👏

Ok, I'm starting to catch on to this idea. Are we thinking like a Waterworld situation? I live kind of far from a coast. Should I go for the four wheeler instead?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Kayne West is secretly pranking us all

Kanye is trying to get close to Trump like Jay Z was with Obama.

Kanye West has never been original.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Enjoying or not enjoying the Beatles is perfectly understandable either way. Enjoying the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin, however, makes you very wrong.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
That's my problem with all "take over the world/universe" villains. That is some really goal-oriented poo poo. Someone that motivated is not going to be content just ruling. So they will likely go conquering out of boredom.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Well, sure, you'd be a fool not to. But how long can that last? Personally, I do the same as you. Maybe throw out a bunch of new holidays, rename some stuff, general world building, and just delegate the rest. Frankly, it all sounds exhausting.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

doverhog posted:

I learned what nihilism is, and thought that's about right. But, mysticism and absurdism stuck around to help me enjoy stuff.

:hfive: Just trying to enjoy the show while the clock runs out. :munch:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

burial posted:

I like to idly wonder about where the hell he finds all that stuff and then not go looking for it myself because the reality is probably much darker than the fantasy.

Those posts are unironically the poo poo my mom (70) posts all day on Facebook. That, chud talk, and bible quotes all day, every day. I had to block her.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

burial posted:

Jeez. At least my mom mostly just sticks to the bible quotes part. And pro-life links?

Yes, thank you. Not sure how I forgot easily half of her meme content. I don't know where she finds this poo poo. I would mine it for SA, but that would force me to truly confront the person my mother has become and I'm just not ready to do that yet.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wearing shoes isn’t particularly comfortable and I find it weird when people wear them longer than they need to. Like we’re sitting on a couch watching a movie why are you still wearing shoes??

:hmmyes: If it's my house, I am barefoot. You do what you like but, gently caress shoes. If it's your house and you don't invite me to, I will ask if it's ok to take them off. It's like when people never take off their coat. It feels aggressively standoffish.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

Oh! I thought of one. I think graverobbing is 100% A-okay. The dead have no use for treasure. If their family found any value in the possessions of the deceased, they'd've divvied them up among whomever. Should I come across a corpse in the wasteland, I'll surely try to reunite artifacts on their former person with their next-of-kin if I meet any, otherwise I'm taking them and using them or giving them to someone who needs them more. Why the gently caress are you burying valuable treasure in the ground anyway? Ya doofuses.

I'm with you. I've always wondered, at what point does grave robbing become just archaeology?

Tubgoat posted:

Edit: Not ceremonial graves of oppressed peoples, though.

But famous people shouldn't be off limits. I wonder how much history could be confirmed or corrected if we raided a few sarcophagi?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

There was a really interesting debate about this very thing not too long ago in the US. Scientists, Native Americans, and the Army Corp of Engineers all fought over who should have rights to a 9000 year old man.

I googled it, and it was the Kennewick Man. "According to the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), if human remains are found on federal lands and their cultural affiliation to a Native American tribe can be established, the affiliated tribe may claim them." Looks like the tribe won and got the remains back and then reburied it in 2016.

But globally there should be some sort of "public domain" for marked graves, not just lost ones. 500 years? 1,000?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

CrRoMa posted:

Why yes I'm sure the 90 hours of your life watching breaking bad was the highlight of your life. Me watching one episode and then reading the most rest on Wikipedia worked out fine for me though

Hold up. You think tv is a waste of time, but you read all the episode synopses for Breaking Bad on Wikipedia?
:thunk:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Actually, life, is good :)
:allears: Same

Yardbomb posted:

Arby's is really tasty, I don't care if it's fast food or whatever, I actually love me some roast beef and cheddar or ham and swiss or their chicken cordon bleu or their smoked brisket, I could probly keep going.

:hfive: And their french dip isn't bad either. Unpopular opinion: I also really enjoy Arby's advertising. It is genuinely humorous to me. And since they've hired Jon Benjamin, it's even better.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

Complete list of movies that can be watched an infinite number of times and still be good:

Dumb and Dumber
:hfive:

doverhog posted:

Uh, no. I saw that a lot as a kid and tried watching it again some years back, and it was just dumb and boring.

I recently started watching TNG from the beginning, and realized I never saw these episodes. I before had started from S3 because that's where it "got good". It's like a gift. With my level of nostalgia and willingness to enjoy it on the level of "let's see what scifi spec script they gave a Trek framing this week", and how Patrick Stewart acts it, how many lecherous grins will Riker have, etc., I enjoy it.
:wrong:

You're going to put down Dumb and Dumber and then go on a Trek rant? :argh:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
You are correct. I just had a very visceral response to that, which will likely lead to some odd introspection later. Please carry on.

unpopular opinion: I think the new Trek movies are superior to all other iterations. (so see, my Trek opinions don't really matter in the first place.)

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Little Nicky is a good movie. It's not quite Waterboy tier, but it's good.

Little Nicky is better than Waterboy, but neither are as good as Grandma's Boy because...

MizPiz posted:

Adam Sandler wasn't in it

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

But then when the singer reveals himself to be the man she won't gently caress, the whole thing becomes a gross nice guy whining that she's too dumb to accept how perfect for her he is.

I disagree. I don’t remember the rest of the context in the song, but he could be referring to someone with depression. He’s not whining and she’s not dumb. He’s describing (arguably quite arrogantly) that he should make her happy but he doesn’t. And they “don’t know why” sounds like undiagnosed depression.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

He doesn't say that he should make her happy, he just says that he is everything she should want/need/wish she could be. But he means nothing to her. Which implies that he's an unreliable narrator. He doesn't actually know what she wants/needs/wishes she could be. That's why he means nothing to her.

Ok, I was curious and looked up the lyrics. You are correct. He’s just whining about her not noticing him. The whole “if she only knew how great I am” idea. I’ve been hearing that song all wrong.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Unpopular opinions (apparently): Life is worth living, the world is actually a beautiful place, being healthy is a positive act, people can enjoy whatever they want, and regardless of the inherent nihilism on this site you all have value and I respect you.

Also, decorating for any/ all holidays is a waste of time and resources. I love celebrating holidays, but why do I have to temporarily redecorate my house inside and out?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

rear end in a top hat beat his kids and psychologically tormented em, there's only a few ways to be worse than that

Sure, but you said he was a bad singer and that's untrue. Lots of really great singers are also terrible people.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
How about only political allegories, but they have to be in the form of a haiku?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
You don’t have to be all good to not be evil. Just don’t purposely cause harm, otherwise, there is no wrong way to live one’s life.