Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

i have 1488 unread posts in the eurothread

excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

why don't you read some nonfiction, nerds

i'm reading simon sebag montefiore's The Romanovs: 1613-1918 and i am baffled that they managed to remain in power, and indeed that russia managed to still exist.

also jesus, a lot of those romanovs sure were psychotic

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know what that means, but it wasn't an actual worry. just a passing thought. All those doomsday preppers are dumb, their great great grandkids are just gonna die of polio and chicken pox.

eh the thing is a lot of the diseases that have been totally wiped out in developed countries have also been wiped in most other countries, and where they aren't they're at pretty low prevalence. and any apocalypse scenario bears the likelihood that people who already have the various really bad ones are going to die of earlier, so it'd be hard for them to spread.

also a lot of them can be prevented with simple management of human and animal waste to be kept separate from the drinking water, which you can handle with roman empire level technology, as long as you make sure to maintain it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
ah, so that's what the B stands for:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

i feel like clothes should cost less if you're getting them in a smaller size

they usually do though? it's just the discount range is xs to xl and the price gets jacked up for xxl+

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

this book is $36

most books are free, including that one

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kustomkarkommando posted:

libraries here are run and funded by a centralized authority

libraries where i live are part of arbitrarily constructed networks of towns and cities with little rhyme or reason. but they're very good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

i want to think all of these are acronyms but MINUTEMAN is philippines-level acronym madness

yeah it's just the single word Minuteman, not an acronym. SAILS also doesn't have an official expansion anymore.

rest are acronyms

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
C/W MARS stands for Central/Western Massachusetts Automated Resource Sharing

CLAMS is the Cape Libraries Automated Materials Sharing

NOBLE is the North Of Boston Library Exchange

pretty good imo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm weary of calling east Germany industrialized when communism was installed just between the war and the soviets stealing everything that could be moved

still it was more so than about any other country.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

I think local elections should be partisan but no one at work agrees with me

the true reason for "nonpartisan" elections always seems to be not having to admit that a given area is so heavily towards one party that only one party runs.

only democrats or republicans running in a partisan election: gauche
the same thing but they're not marked d or r: you can pretend you're all like so open minded

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

I read a thing yesterday saying that the it was to reduce immigrant turnout since they needed a partisan cue on who to vote for

idk that sounds suspicious because a lot of america's big immigration hotbeds don't have it and didn't have it in the past. could certainly have been meant to do that in other places i guess.

also the old party and straight up electoral fraud machines of like nyc, chicago, etc would hand out sheets labeled with the names to vote for to new voters that couldn't speak english, which can't be circumvented by removing the party name.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Time to sit in the gas line for a half hour because there are 3 people operating the pumps and it's a crime to pump your own gas and there are 40 cars waiting to get filled up

why didn't you just drive half a mile to another gas station. is that just the cheapest one in town???

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lol why didn't you fill up off the turnpike. them gas stations are designed to be overpriced traps for the forgetful so the turnpike commission can rake in extra buxx

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

who doesn't like christmas lights

truth be told i don't like having to set them up myself, cuz that's often a hassle. real cool to look at other people's though

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avshalom posted:

christmas lights use a lot of power

these days a whole chain of led ones uses like 5 watts or less

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Swan Oat posted:

donald trump trying to humiliate mitt romney owns and is good,

romney-brand robots can't be humiliated though

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
my ufcw card was nice but i havent been in a union position in years and lost it at some point

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Randler posted:

Is compound butter for steaks really something you don't know about? :staredog:

is compound butter like how they had to make fake coffee during the war

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PupsOfWar posted:

*fishmech voice* hebephile

wow rude

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Randler posted:

If you Americans hate tax shelters so much why is Delaware not a smoldering crater?

delaware corporation taxes aren't significantly below averages for states

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Randler posted:

Tax rate alone does not make a tax shelter and I'm pretty sure you know that.

tax shelter is simply not the function of delaware. it's favorable legal rulings in other fields.

if you just want low taxes/tax shelter stuff you go somewhere like nevada or one of the terrible deep south states

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

why do you have a car at all if public transportation is needs suiting

long distance travel and large shopping loads, usually

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
before my car broke down irreparably last spring, we'd usually only drive once or twice a month and bike/walk/transit the rest of the time, but it still cost a lot less than a rental of some sort for those times instead

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

american infrastructure :rip: long distance travel is a good point if you do that regularly, but long distance travel in latvia is like 160 miles and you can take bus between two 50 people villages on regular basis

yeah a usual trip i would end doing in car would be ~600 miles round trip.

in comparison bus tickets for the two of us would cost in neighborhood of $200 round trip with very long travel time. airline tickets would be like $300 if you were ok with multiple connections each way more with nonstop. train tickets could be as low as $320 if you et lucky with open coach seats but more typically like $480. and all of those would require someone to come pick us up/drop us off by car anyway in at least one direction.

i'll actually be traveling down there by myself by train for christmas, its going to be $300 total but that's cheaper than renting a car instead for the time, and way more pleasant than dealing with christmas time airports (and those flights aint cheap, right now they're looking like $500-$750). and there's no way taking the bus would make the connection in nyc on time either.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

how can you not have a budget

the us doesn't require a formal budget of any sort, though it's customary for both the president and congress to propose one

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

any sensible country would dissolve the legislature for new elections in the event of a loss of supply you clowns

supply is routinely provided in the bills authorizing the spending in the first place, friend.

the only reason we have these crisis things is cuz some dickhead congressmaen decided to start having pissfights on raising debt limits in the 80s to have another thing to campaign on, that used to get raised just as needed

cinci zoo sniper posted:

jfc the prices

it's a short flight distance so most of the flights are angled towards the business traveler who doesn't have to worry about cost, and then you have christmas time rush on top of things. and as for the rail prices, they're still a lot less than the old private carriers used to charge when you adjust for inflation (and once again, the rail service is primarily angled towards business travelers who take up most of the capacity, at least for this route, unlike the others that are more angled towards tourism).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
kalstrams for comparison i could fly all the way down to orlando and back for like $130 roundtrip. or all the way out to atlanta for like $80 round trip, during normal days as opposed to a big holiday at least. airline pricing is very weird

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chelb posted:

what would you eat first dadchat

split pea soup or mushroom soup

split pea soup is excellent

cinci zoo sniper posted:

buses/trains still charge a lot compared to what i am used to. riga-berlin roundtrip (~1500 miles) is $50/person on a bus, couchette car spot on riga-moscow train roundtrip (~1200 miles) is $140/person; $80/person for the bus style car

i mean you can get substantially cheaper bus tickets if you're flexible in timing and are also traveling alone - the tickets from here down to philly and back can be as low as $25 or $30 round trip. but you have to be willing to leave to the south at like 1 am and not get back on the return day until like 10 pm, and those tickets are impossible around busy times.

but that's obviously less than ideal

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chelb posted:

do you know how hard it is to find gloves that fit my ridiculous little hands

they have stores for your kind

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Berke Negri posted:

is this the new "i don't even own a tv"

i generally don't drink coffee so i've never had starbucks coffee. had starbucks hot chocolate a bunch of times tho, its decent

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

do you drink it hot or cold? both seem to have major downsides

it tastes terrible no matter how you do it since the soylent founder does not believe humans require flavor, so who cares. i don't believe it even contains any real coffee, at best some flavoring along with the caffiene

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

boner confessor posted:

fishmech posts a lot about street layout and grid shapes and traffic flow and types of trains etc. so i really think he sees cities as a sim city style grand experiment in physically engineered architecture and not as a collection of systems largely revolving around human behavior

i didn't get into his streetcar example but it's also bad, he implied that streetcar coverage correlated with bad design when this is totally ahistorical for a number of reasons but to keep it really brief both streetcars and street plotting at the time was largely left up to the private sector and can in no way be described as "designed" and also the changes he's talking about are completely miniscule anyway in the grand scheme of things unless you study roadmaps like an EE studies printed boards

you've got some weird strrawmen to try to defend your position of "bad design can never cause other problems" imo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

boner confessor posted:

you are autistic and you don't understand how cities work

that's you, the guy who believes roads are the only thing that exists in design for some reason.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

boner confessor posted:

im sorry i hurt your feelings fishmech. please stop quoting me. you will be wrong forever. thank you

i mean it's really clear you just didn't read any of the posts so you started an argument against something that didn't exist. i'm just wondering why that is.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
our public school history curriculum did involve some coverage of native american societies before colonial times in their various areas, but it was usually just the time period immediately beforehand, as well as covering the migration of over from asia.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avshalom posted:

hi fishmech! thank you for your excellent work as vanya's publicity agent, he's very pleased with your performance

it's highly important that vanya is seen and appreciated, imo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I don't understand how subway continues to exist.

what's not to get about "people like sandwiches"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hollismason posted:

I don't understand what that means.

he loves the lizard people

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sweart gliwere posted:

Wasn't there an obesity epidemic / haes / fat thread here at some point? I'm sure it petered out into an awful mess, but does anyone have a link?

uh it became people ranting that their mutually exclusive diet fads were the only solution, it was real bad.

only thing that's really relevant is that the primary cause of increased overweight/obesity is the relatively much lower cost of food these days, which results in widespread starvation shrinking and going out the other end with a lot more people being fat. and well, its easier to fix some guy being fat than it is to fix someone starved to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rodatose posted:

most states don't have a highway where the top speed limit is 80mph/130kmh

It's usually 70 in rural areas, 65 in less rural areas, and 55 on highways through cities

80 is only in nowhere parts of mountain/high plains states and texas

yeah but typical cop allowed speeds on a lot of busy roads are 80 mph or more

• Locked thread