Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I have a super buff DK Cecil friend, max Cecil, and max WM Fina. And an unmaxed Refia. And that's about it. Any way that can get me through Maxwell? I don't have any breaks of any kind really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Shark Tower posted:

No breaks is gonna hurt you bad. You can try cheesing it, but still really doubtful.

How do you cheese it?

AegisP posted:

If all else fails, slap a Power/Magic Break on somebody?

My espers aren't that high level yet ;(

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

Until the gacha rehaul hits, there is absolutely no reason to do 11-pulls unless you want a hail mary to try to grab a banner's chaser right before it ends.

What exactly is the gacha rehaul?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

deltah posted:

Yah, I won the FF3 banner lottery with refia + luneth, but never got any BF karma bonus heroes so its been slow going.

Same for me, minus the Luneth part. I read up on the materia that boosts your stats when you're below 50% life...those seem pretty good if you stack them, don't they? I read that they give 40% stat boost per materia, and even if you heal they stick around. Are they worth it?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

aherdofpenguins posted:

Same for me, minus the Luneth part. I read up on the materia that boosts your stats when you're below 50% life...those seem pretty good if you stack them, don't they? I read that they give 40% stat boost per materia, and even if you heal they stick around. Are they worth it?

Sorry guys but can anyone help me here? Is that materia worth the buy, or is it too hard to reliably activate it to be worth it?

For reference, I just started out pretty recently, managed to max Cecil and Arc but that's about all I have so far.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Looking at the FF5 units I was kind of excited to maybe get a unit with Full Break, Faris, but she's garbage tier according to the Japanese tier lists. And Bartz is only mediocre. Worth rolling for Gilgamesh and Exdeath still?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Exdeath is a 3* base, so you've got a pretty decent chance at him, I would say yes, especially since he's gonna rule with his 6* abilities. Plus, if you don't have a full breaker at all, even a trash tier one is useful

Awesome, I'll definitely put some tickets into it then if I don't get what I want by the end. Thanks!

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

Keep in mind three things.
  • Japan's meta has about 6 to 8 months of powercreep past us. Anything and everything is mediocre now since Orlandu exists, and now, the various Veritases exist.
  • Altema's tier listing assumes full access to any TM you want. In those circumstances, raw bruisers like Firion and DK Cecil will pull ahead of more utility-minded characters like Bartz and Ramza. Bartz does a decent amount with what he has, and he's good with very little outside TM influence. He'll get surpassed eventually, but he's on par with CoD in normal questing, I'd say, especially if you have a Refia around to turn him into a walking Elixir. I wouldn't particularly call him great for arenas, though.
  • Full Break is still Full Break, even on the worst person who can use it. Faris is basically a spicy fire-flavored Vaan and should be treated as such.

I have a Refia around, no Full Break, and I love Mexican food. PERFECT.

What is it about Orlandu that completely breaks the game? Is he really THAT much better than everything they have currently?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

SquirrelGrip posted:

The 1200 lapis bundle seems ok value or am I retarded

The 350 seems way better. There are other places to get exp and unless you need specific 6* mats to finish evolving someone I'd say it's not worth it.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

So after this event I think we'll have some time to run something that isn't karma related. What kind of things are worth farming? Mag +10%, Atk +10%, Def +10%, Hero Rings, anything else other than the obvious experience and awakening mat farming?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I've never rolled any 5* rainbow monsters or whatever, and don't have any TMs. With that in mind, is a pure tank team useful at all? Something like
Cecil / Wol / Snow / Buttz / Refia

Basically take in an overpowered friend and rely on Buttz battery and everyone tanking to keep everything running. Is that a thing?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

If your friend is OP enough; just be warned that some harder bosses (Maxwell, the Twin Dragon, etc) have stupid bullshit attacks they use every x number of turns that you generally want to avoid seeing more than two or three times a fight.

Bartz can work middling double-duty as a damage dealer, mind you, and there's actually a not-insignificant amount of "can awaken up to 6*" units that can fill that hole of "damage dealer", even if they're not as good as the Base 5s - Mercedes and Chizuru are the big ones, but Cloud of Darkness and Bartz can fill in, in a pinch, and Firion will be up there eventually, too.

I have two Chizurus and Mercedes actually, but I was mostly looking at Bartz for his battery potential. I almost have dual cast, so I feel like DC Refia and Bartz can basically keep a team alive forever. Would it be worth slotting in a Chizuru or Mercedes instead of Bartz and maybe Snow?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

"Forever" is an incredibly generous estimate, especially since Bartz's own sacrifice costs MP of his own, if memory serves, and he can never fill himself up like that. In the meantime in that hypothetical forever, you'd be doing damage almost entirely from WoL's Full Break and Snow's counters.

Chizuru, on the other hand, is a fair bit squishier but can actually hurt things.

Hmm alright, sounds like Chizuru might be worth investing in. Thanks!

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Ok, I think I got my party situation 3/5 of the way figured out:

Cecil/Refia/Chizuru/?/?

Those characters are all leveled up and ready to go, who do I start working on between another Chizuru, Wol, Mercedes, Bartz, or Exdeath?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

HGH posted:

Ok, the way I see it:

-max WoL as he will be your full breaker(debuffer) for now. In 2 or 3 months' time he will get a 6* upgrade making him a crazy healcounter tank as well.

-max your other Chizuru and Exdeath. Exdeath is the best mage, and though Mercedes is a good physical attacker, there is a lack of good axes outside her own TM compared to katanas for Chizuru.

-Bartz isn't as good for damage as the others, but has support abilities to full restore an ally at the cost of his own life or help fill an ally's LB. Should probably leave him for last.

So you end up with Cecil, Refia, WoL, Chizuru, Chizuru in cases of physical damage, or Cecil, Refia, WoL, Exdeath, *insert other mage here* for magic damage.

PaybackJack posted:

I agree on the WoL but I'd take Bartz over a 2nd Chizuru. There's plenty of good swords so he'll easily have better damage that Chizuru based solely off being able to use better swords, Refia turns him into a repeat Elixir, and Bartz can also rock the arena with the Golem staff.

For Mages, you really want a full team of them because their damage comes from chains so tossing a single ExDeath into your party really isn't going to do a whole lot. Just do your homework before going into fights so you know which ones to bring the ATK party for and which ones to bring the MAG party for.

All awesome advice, thanks a lot guys!

I feel like a big benefit to having 2x Chizuru is she can chain into herself. That adds a ton of damage, doesn't it? It's like having two edgars around who actually do damage.

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 20, 2016

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I'm going through the story right now and it just seemed to stop after Volcanic Grounds. How do I get to the next story point? I, of course, stupidly didn't watch the cutscene so I'm assuming the answer was in there :(

edit: apparently that's all that was released, so nevermind!

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 6, 2017

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

King Mog events are great for 6 star mats. Usually there is a limited quantity of each type of six star mat that is priced really cheap. Then there is an unlimited supply that's 4 times more expensive. You should easily be able to get enough for four units, but you may not have enough currency to get other desirable items like star quartz and summon tickets.

The general buy order usual goes:
Any exclusive gear / materia (if it's good quality)
Summon tickets
Star quartz
Cheap priced trust moogle
Elixirs
Gigantaurs
Six star mats as needed
Expensive priced trust moogle

If you macro I believe the expensive priced trust moogle is literally never worth it, as the nrg spent getting it would give you way more % just doing earth shrine over and over.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Mischalaniouse posted:

I hate that people do that poo poo. Like, it doesn't benefit people at all to trick you into losing to them.

How does it not benefit people to trick other people they're directly competing against into losing? I'd be pretty happy if everyone who played against my arena team lost.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

What's the eta of firion getting his 6* on GL? I've got a bunch of gigantuars + sacred crystals burning a hole in my pocket

February-ish.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Dias posted:

I'm probably gonna have 100 tickets by the time the Orlandu banner comes out, which is kinda amazing. That's what happens when you only pull on meta-defining banners.

I usually roll the half price dailies and sometimes use tickets, gambling that I would eventually get a Zidane. I don't have nearly 100 tickets, and I lost that gamble extremely hard :(

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

hagie posted:

Read this post and it reminded me I hadn't done my freebie for today.

Ripped a Zidane. Now I have 2 and I can't bring myself to merge them.

Not trolling, just thanking for reminding me.

No......problem.....both me and my new Clyne are so happy for you, as well

:argh:

p.s. oh god don't merge them please don't merge them

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

If you you have a Cecil in your party and want to level his LB, there are some macros that TM farm AND LB farm at the same time. It's definitely been worth it for me to use the LB ones, because they run at the same pace (assuming no lapis) but level up your LB at the same time.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

First daily roll got me the Chocobro, Yun. Seems like the best reason to use him is for his TM on a beastly Firion in a month or so?? Does he do any real damage compared to the other 5* like Luneth or Gilgamesh?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Got enough mats to make 3 more hero rings today, running the new exploration at the lowest nrg gives you an insane number of megacrysts. My top is 10 in one run, worst is 2 so far. Any reason to not just stockpile megacrysts waiting for the new rings to come? Will there eventually be a better way to get them?

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 29, 2017

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Mile'ionaha posted:

Well... someone did the numbers, and it takes thousands of megacrysts to get one Exceed ring. But there are other rings (Monarch and one other) that are improvements on the Hereo's Ring.

I've been tempted to spend the next 6months using all my energy running explorations to *maybe* get an Exceed ring, but right now NOBODY in the JP version has one.

Ah yeah, I'm not looking to make an exceed ring, but the other three (Ruler, Monarch, Dominate) rings still need 60 Megacrysts each to make including the original Hero ring, so 80 Megacrysts total. I figure now is a good time to start saving up Crysts for those, but didn't know if there was a faster way to get them on JP.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I know this is a stupid thing to complain about but I'm going to do it anyway, how the gently caress have I rolled five 5* units but no Zidanes, Lightnings, Luneths, or Gilgameshes. I feel like the game doesn't even start until you get your first DW. Before then every battle is your party of five idiots jerking off until your DW friend kills everything.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

dangerous.hotdog posted:

drat, that is pretty rough. I have DWs and it's honestly not that different because my units suck rear end without any 5* bases. My party of 5 acts as fluffers for friend Noctises. Units are useless without TMRs, TMRs are useless without units, time is a flat circle.

That sucks too :( I feel like with Mercedes, CoD, Chizuru and the new V-day Artemios you can kinda sorta do stuff with physical units now? I dunno how good they are kitted out completely...

turnways posted:

Does Wicked Light count as magic for Abraxas? Keep hearing to use that over everything else.

I'd bet not. It can't be double casted with anything, neither the TM dual cast nor innate bm dual cast, so I'm 99% sure it's considered a skill.

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 15, 2017

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Got the HP+15% on my second try,

Cecil / Noctis/ Ace / Exdeath / Ling / friend Tilith

I wish I had another Exdeath instead of Ace, it would've gone way faster, but oh well. Ling/Tilith were the MVPs, Ling refills so much mp and Tilith a really good skill healer.

TMs were dual cast on Ace, and Omnirod on Exdeath.

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 18, 2017

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I know Ace is still top ten in Japan, is Dark Fina?

D. Fina was voted the best mage, Ace is #4.

That's on altema, at least. I dunno how they do their voting but seems legit?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

My Daily got me 4* Luka. Should I replace my 4* Refia with her?

They're about even as-is. If you manage to get a dualcast TM and put it on Refia though she rockets above Luka.

edit: Where do I farm light megacrysts? I have piles and piles of every megacryst except that one, but I need 20 for each Ruler's Ring ;(

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I'd say it's kind of worth having a luka on hand for some very specific circumstances. You never know when a no white magic will pop up and she makes those super easy. It's like the one defense for her I can think of.

True, I ended up using a friend Tilith for the last no-wm event, but having a Luka would've made things way easier.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Ahhh piles and piles of every megacryst except light, where's the best place to farm them?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

NinjaDebugger posted:

best place to farm every megacrystal at this point is fire shrine.

So there's no dungeon that will give me more light megacrysts?

If I get 10 fire, 10 lightning, 20 earth, 100 wind, and 1 light in the fire shrine, and 0 of everything except 2 light in another dungeon, I'd rather run the other dungeon.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

everyone talked about how hard the fight was so i put it off until the other day but just taking a team of ling/refia/cecil/luka/exdeath and i was in no danger of ever losing the fight at all. refia ended up dying since once round the captain hit her with every single attack and cecil just watched her die, but having an aoe revive and also a noctis friend meant that there was no condition i could have lost that fight in

Why take Refia and Luka? I feel like if you just shoved another caster in for Refia you could've gotten the no-white magic achievement.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

i wanted to make absolutely sure i had enough healing, three 5k health healers was in fact enough. i probably could have gotten the tm without refia but refia is also my best healer and i didnt want to mess around with possibly losing.

i guess i could try and get it without refia by bringing another mage

I did it with Ling/Exdeath/Ace/Cecil/Noctis/Tilith, so you can definitely do it using Luka.

Only TMs were DC on Ace and Excalibur on Noctis which did absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

So I just picked up my 9th Refia. Her TM seems pretty decent, is it worth farming for herself, or whatever healers I use in the future?

• Locked thread