Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Real hurthling! posted:

from what i can tell the nazis have covered themselves in whale guts and spilled oil all over and turned hannibal into an umbilical feeding apparatus for soldiers so del toro needs to take a magic baby through the sewers to save him from being plugged in

Pfffft, tame. I thought this was supposed to be a Kojima joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Last of Us 2? More like Knack 2. Get some taste, plebs.

Also, I really like that the original Crash trilogy is being remade, but I don't like the aesthetic approach they've taken with it at all. They've literally just gotten every asset and redone them from the ground up, except with no sense of visual cohesion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbO2-egZ3U

I know I sound like an angry old man when I say the originals looked 'better' but the colour palette, and the griminess of the enviroment really does look better in the old game - everything looks 'bright and floaty' in the remake. Naughty Dog have always been good at lived-in environmental design - is unfortunate they couldn't replicate it well here.

I never played the originals so I hope those pelvic thrusts are his iconic move like Sonic's spin.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Level Slide posted:

Any sad mom games?

My mom liked Tetris a lot.

Oh wait, do you mean games about sad moms?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

Yeah it's just I've seen that specific line, that "the controls" feel outdated. Games came out 40 years ago with great controls and games came out two weeks ago with crappy ones, its a completely hollow criticism. I'm not defending Last Guardian one way or another, I haven't played it, it's just language that crops up a lot and means absolutely nothing.

Maybe it's less that the controls feel outdated (what buttons to press) and more like controlling the character feels old, as in the character seems to float or skate a bit too much along the environment, there's little consideration of momentum in character animation, etc.

But that's not necessarily an old vs. new thing either so who knows. The things that make moving around in AssCreed on PS3 look and feel realistic were also present in Mario 64 but don't show up in plenty of PS4 games...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Writing actual proper instructions that work for people with little prior knowledge is tricky and tedious.

YouTube videos are easy and maybe you can make some of that sweet ad money!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Invictus posted:

Most of the stuff in the footage he posted looks fantastic, too, if I ever got a PS4 I'd probably buy TLG for an atmospheric piece. It looks wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZh_51AdYBo&hd=1

Man, maybe it's because we don't tend to ever control children in a game but the animations of him running around, going up the stairs, and pulling that thing out of the ground are all charming. There's an earnest fun to it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Rust posted:

Can we work on a literal meaning for the word "soulslike"?

Did we ever figure out a term for the Arkham series' combat? Is it "free-flow" or is that not widely understood enough with saying mentioning Arkham in the same sentence?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

I tried to make a good emulation of what they were like

im going to jump off a bridge

A satire of post-truth politics a la Trump? Very topical.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Palpek posted:

A Sonic webcomic in 2016 that is safe for work? Now that's a weird niche with potential.

A million Sonic fans with a million webcomics will eventually write something SFW.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phantasium posted:

*gets in car to go get Last Guardian*

*car won't start*

The curse continues for me.

It's not a curse, it's just FFXV. Haven't your bros shown up to help you push the car down the road?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

glam rock hamhock posted:

People yearning for Lara the way she used to be (a constantly objectified, barely human dress-up doll) and despairing them attempting to make her more human always strikes me as just trying to get riled up over pretty much nothing. Like I'm not saying the portrayal of reboot Lara is perfect, but man it has loads less problems than it used to.

The one thing that's lost is the acrobatics. Having her control like she did in the older games wouldn't be possible unless they toned down the overall realistic look of the game and its characters so instead she moves just like Nathan Drake as a person who is fit but not especially skillful or graceful. Taking her gymnastic abilities away is a bit of a bummer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing that GTA's open worlds still have over other games is the chases with police and it seemed like these were better in the earlier games. When we talk about ideal open worlds we want missions, places, and targets that we can approach in a myriad of ways but in GTA the player is the target when they get their wanted level up. Then it's up to the player to improvise their getaway and the more the player is familiar with the game world the better able they'll be to evade police. And the player gets more familiar with the game world the more they fool around or do other missions. Maybe an alleyway doesn't ever have any content but it could be a key route between streets that the player uses to get somewhere faster or get out of trouble. The open world was part of everything you did whereas open worlds in other games can be awfully close to being pretty hubs connecting the actual levels or load time smoke screens.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

The Assassin's Creed games don't really do that because the maps don't have that much going on despite being beautiful virtual versions of their historical locations. Outside of some specific landmarks, there isn't a lot of interest to find, and even if the layouts were great, the solution to getting caught is more often than not "have a cool sword fight and murder everyone" rather than "escape."

AC could have been a lot better overall but especially with respect to the open world if combat had you be more of a swashbuckler. IIRC there is a very limited environmental attack ability in one of the Ezio games but the series wants you to be a one-man army so it's unnecessary except for your own sense of style or to check off some upgrade/collectibles requirement (Kill 5 Enemies with Collapsed Scaffolding).

If the Assassins were terribly disadvantaged on flat open ground then there would have been more reason to seek out and also memorize locations that were best to lure attackers to. A courtyard that is full of ledges and boxes and pots and hedge walls for all kinds of environmental attacks and to help crowd control the group of guards after you. A shipping area full of ropes to swing from and lots of goods to topple over onto enemies. Make getting up to the roofs a priority because the controls mean knocking guards off the edge is a better tactic than trading blows. Make the guards attack all at once instead of the cliche of only one or two. Give more guards ranged attacks so ducking around corners or up and over rooftops is essential.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Shadows of Mordor had enemies that would peace out if you were doing too well in battle and there was also a specific type of kill you could do to terrorize them (and that ability could also be upgraded).

Lurdiak posted:

It sounds kinda like you're saying rear end Creed should take a couple hundred notes from Hitman.

Environmental attack usually means something like Hitman, or Punisher, or Sleeping Dogs but those tend to be way more plodding and forgiving than I'm thinking. You grab a guy and start marching him over to a sawblade 10 yards away and every other enemy stands around like "let's see where he goes with this" and that's not what I mean. Arkham Knight's use of them was pretty good in that you could only activate the attack once you and the enemy were in range of both each other and the section of environment and if that system was developed a bit more it would be perfect. Having the Assassins be both masters at stealth kills and masters at open combat feels overpowered but if they were masters of stealth and when forced into open combat they have to turn into something like Errol Flynn or Jackie Chan you could still have awesome and stylish victories but it wouldn't seem like you were winning because you're an unstoppable war god but because your ingenuity and agility saved your rear end.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 9, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Gotcha, but what I meant was like "your environment matters a little more than not at all and you should take note of it before making your move", which Hitman is pretty darn aces at.

Ah right, then yes. Exactly. Not just for planning an assassination but if things go south the environment is something you'll have to improvise with to stay alive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bicyclops posted:

Sometimes I really like that kind of combat and sometimes I prefer to mash the X button, murdering thousands of people, until my meter builds up and I can press circle to execute a move which kills a couple hundred people at once.

If AssCreed started aping Dynasty Warriors out of nowhere, instead of Arkham, that would be a welcome improvement. You want Dynasty Warriors and I want The Warriors (PS2).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

metroidvania is a term for games with whips/grapple beams i think

I thought it was for games where you can roll up into a ball and kill vampires.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Environmental Station Alpha is the one true indie Metroid. well that or AM2R

they should've called them Zeltroids because zelda series has a larger % of games with ability/tool gating than castlevania series does

also zeltroid sounds like a tasty mint

Zeltroid sounds like a Yiddish robot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Watching a cooking show and the one woman from Argentina is making steak pizza, which is all of the regular ingredients of pizza but instead of crust you use grilled flank steak. It looks amazing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So it's beef parmigiana, basically?

No breading at all. It's grilled steak that is then baked with the other stuff on top.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

this is wrong. it's specifically not supposed to have cheese

Why would someone take a dish that is one of the most famous and well-loved dishes with cheese integrated into and say "i want to take the cheese... off"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Love that the guy thought Dominoes was calling him out but still wanted some of their pizza. Also, did the Chief do this:

glam rock hamhock posted:

The story of why Dominos dropped The Noid as its mascot is amazing if you haven't heard it

Police Chief Reed Miller: "Looks like this perp is... *puts on sunglasses* para-noid."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

What I mean is, why not make a game and let the player start at any point in the story? Why should "chapter select" only be unlocked if you beat a game? Why not let players jump around if they want and enjoy the parts they want without being forced to suffer through every ill-conceived concept the game contains? You can do this with books and films, why not games?

Hell, hardly any games allow chapter select even after you beat the game. There are so many games that have chapters/missions/encounters/etc that I would have loved to replay but unless you create a ton of save files that's not happening without replaying the whole game again. And of course many games don't have enough save slots to do that anyway.

CJacobs posted:

Also who the hell is reading a book and says "this part is boring im gonna skip ahead a few chapters and keep going"

This comes up a lot in sci-fi or fantasy book chat.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think the Tomb Raider reboot would make encounters easier after you had died a couple times. I remember some firefights where I was like "heyyy, I thought there were more enemies than this..."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MMF Freeway posted:

Its like arkham asylum combat, but after so many games that use it everyone hates that style now.

Was there any game other than Shadows of Mordor that did Arkham's combat well?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dewgy posted:

Sleeping Dogs did pretty good with it. The Assassin's Creed Ezio games also play pretty similarly to Batman, even though there were only a few months between Batman and AC2 it seems like they picked up a few of Batman's good habits in terms of how the controls and fighting worked in general. Hand of Fate is a pretty decent Bat-em-up too.

I feel like there was a sweet spot of only one Ezio game that felt like well-done Arkham combat whereas the others were too simplistic and/or stiff and weighted down with elaborate kill animations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

If I want to play as Zero I can just play the Zero games, which are much better than X4.

e: this is actually a better showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVmsucYKlvo

Gah, either that's mouselook or crazy high camera sensitivity but watching those fights is almost stomach lurching. Doesn't help that I'm hungover though, I guess.

Edit: Uh, now it's a different video than the one I watched. n/m!

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 14, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Help Im Alive posted:

I liked it in Arkham Asylum/City but i think the Batman combat was kinda bloated by Arkham Knight where you have like 20 gadgets and 15 enemy types that you each have to fight in a very specific way

I loved the variety but in the challenges I would have liked some kind of checklist I could reference of what attacks I've performed or have yet to perform. Trying to get those Variation Bonuses by having to remember every single move and remember if you've done every single move is daunting.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm not sure that I've ever seen anything even nearing consensus on a a game that has good combat, like I'm legit not sure I've ever seen a thread for a game where there were not more complaints about the combat than compliments.

Not everyone speaks up equally so it's hard to gauge, like wondering if a product or restaurant review is representative of how people feel generally or if the only people speaking up are the ones who had an especially good/bad experience.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Batman, for example, is designed to simple, accessible and function on a rhythm and self-challenge atmosphere.

To add to this, I would say a big part of Arkham's combat is focusing the player less on Batman or a singular target at any given moment and more on the whole crowd. Counters aren't just a saving grace mechanic meant to make things easier - they tie in to the notion that you/Batman are aware of what's going on all around you. Attacking can be as simple as one button press but moving the camera around and maintaining good position is vital to your success because of the threat of guns, projectiles, charging enemies, etc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure if you can say there's a "perfect" combat system, but Arkham City comes closer to it than any other game by a mile in my opinion.

I spent so much time in the combat challenge maps. Not for achievements or unlockables mind you, just to keep improving my own scores.

The one big drawback of Arkham combat is that there are incentives to dodge rather than counter, especially when maximizing score, and dodging a lot drags things out, is more tedious, and is silly from a narrative perspective. Batman leaping or flipping over the head of every second enemy is lame.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I said come in! posted:

I still don't understand what it is that is making MOBA's successful in the first place. What do people love about them? I don't understand League of Legends and its appeal. How is something so complex and with such a steep learning curve so popular?

This isn't the whole story but here are a few good reasons:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

What game are you most looking forward to in 2017? It's Persona 5 for me. True, it's technically already out, but I can't read Japanese so it's a 2017 game for me.

I'm hoping the studio behind Sunset Overdrive surprises everybody with an amazing Spider-Man game. There's no release date yet but I'd find it hard to believe that it won't be 2017. Other than that I don't really keep tabs on upcoming games other than what I see goons talk about here on SA. It's not a big deal when games came out since I almost never play them right away.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

someone should introduce her, to the Queen of Pants #itsmy2cents

Nah it's ok, she's got some thigh highs.

*bows*
Good evening, Your Royal Thigh-Highness.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quest For Glory II posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u17kM8oSz3k

there are also free prequels you can try on itch.io, one of them is called lost constellation and i forget the other

Ah crap, seeing this made me think of that game Cuphead coming out next year. I only have a PS4 so I'm going to miss out :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought people were saying cuphead is bad now after they added levels instead of being all bosses or something

I didn't know it was even supposed to be boss-only before. Seems like the art style demands incredibly charming and inventive levels to not waste the potential.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waroduce posted:

Does anyone have some fun browser based games I can waste my time on at work? Either persistent ones like a sports management/civilization type game sim or tower defense poo poo. Idk

Well, it's not a fan favourite in the genre but I loved SimTower back in the day and it's available in-browser here.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

i hate when you put a snes/n64 cart in and you can tell it didn't make a good connection. there's no little oof at the end

This happened with the N64 cartridges way more than SNES. Maybe all the time, actually?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

I finally got around to trying out HITMAN (2016) ENTER A WORLD OF ASSASSINATION and it freaking pwns. I got silent assassin suit only and level 20 mastery but I still want to unlock the Vampire outfit which is going to be way harder. some of those kills seem really hard to pull off. Also at this point I may as well just do all the assassinations because Ive only got like 6 left but i dont wanna hang out on the second floor of the balcony for 30 minutes waiting for the fashion show to end just for that one kill.

I do like how you can get Level 20 without doing every last thing in the Challenges/Discovery/Feats checklist. Some of them are just too finicky to get right without looking up online or way too much trial and error so I'm glad I can feel like I've "completed" the level without necessarily doing every last thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Job interviews are absurdly exhausting because they're just asking you to lie in the specific right way.

Every answer is to the question "can you be a reliable worker who isn't insufferable?" because part of the interview is about your credentials but most is about letting them know you've picked up on at least a few of the social cues throughout your schooling and other jobs not to be That Idiot, or That Arrogant Prick, or That Super-Keen Know-It-All, or That Shiftless Slob, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bicyclops posted:

The Shiftless Slob and the Arrogant Prick are deffo the ones most employers seem to be probing for, which is why I try to use most questions to talk about how important it is to remember that most interactions that people think of as logistics problems have a human element to them, and that being understanding and sympathetic to co-workers and clients not only makes your own job easier, but gives you the opportunity to learn about their world, and ways to offer support and address organizational systems break-downs without making anyone feel like you've overstepped or gone over their heads.

In every interview for a job that I've ended up winning, I've given true, actual weaknesses of mine but then immediately shifted to how I've grown from it or fixed it or made amends, whatever the case may be. I want them to know that I'm not going to be perfect but that when I do something wrong I'm not going be a hyper-defensive egoist about it or someone who feels the need to hide their mistakes like they're hiding a dead body. Because I know the people I like to work with are not necessarily the Grandmasters of their job but are people who can be honest with me.

• Locked thread