Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I love this game for its gameplay. I loved Quake 3 and TF2 ages ago, but could never get into Counter Strike or Overwatch for the pacing. What bothered me about dieing instantly in TF2, CS, and Overwatch still exists in Siege, but the methodical pacing of every match, smart positioning, and team communication really do it for me in a way that no other online shooter has. I normally can't tand brown/grey military murder sims but this game is just my jam.

Where I find Siege lacking is in the unlocks and customization. Each character has maybe two custom skins. Most of the dressing up is to your gun sticking out of the corner of the screen. I've been spoiled by dressing up my barbie in TF2, and by a million things to unlock at a slow trickle in Overwatch. Every visual customization in Siege is either unnoticeable like an alternate helmet, or garish and gaudy like an emerald gun or decorative jawbone. The costs are prohibitively high too in stark contrast with TF2/Overwatch.
I did see a new victory pose the other day, so maybe Ubi is going in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMHfD1B78G0

Ularg posted:

The only challenge I found annoying was the Gadget/Melee kills, because I just never get them. People know by now to run the gently caress away from C4. Impact nades get you killed if you use them in straight combat. And I can count on 0 fingers the numbers of times I've gotten an honest to god melee kill.

God I am so awful at this game. There's way too many games where I go 0 kills 3-5 deaths for this to be enjoyable. People are just way quicker on the draw.
Throw all your placement matches in ranked; you'll get placed into matches with really terrible players more reliably than in 'casual'.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 3, 2016

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

In hindsight I wish I had team killed and disconnected every placement match so I could run around playing terrible gimmicks and messing with bad players in copper league.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Chiming in that I also feel like I'm bad. 40 hours in it's still a struggle finding the stairs on some levels. However I learn something most every game and get a tiny bit better all the time. There are so many angles to approach everything from, so even when an enemy's reaction time is flat out better than mine, which is most of the time, I can still figure out ways that I could have had an upper hand. There is so much room for personal expression in the gameplay: punching holes in walls, hiding in a room, in the front door, or gimmicky item placement all seem viable. It helps that a dead player can still be useful and pointing out an enemy can turn the game around.

Using Nvidia's instant replay, sometimes when I do particularly well or wonder what the hell happened I press the button to save the last minute or two. During wait times reviewing these feels like it helps.

I'd be down to play with others who think they're bad so there's no pressure to perform. I don't have the best experiences playing games with goons who have been playing since beta and are understandably displeased that I can't keep up.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Is there something wrong with my sound or does no one ever talk in casual games? I'm on my last match before rank 20 now, and I've never heard a single word uttered.

Do you see the little headset icon but hear nothing?

Do you live in Europe?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

I live in Europe, and coincidentally I just heard someone talk for the first time as they team killed our whole team.

So it works.

A lot of people have English as a second language and are too self-conscious to be the first one to talk.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The VoIP in the game is terrible and I can't gear anyone and no one can hear me.

Can't drone on defense or I'd be all over that :(
Echo can, but oddly it can't scan enemies or place markers.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Siege is the only game where my friend's microphone is not not just not working, but not even being recognized by the game as existing. :(

I had this problem on the hearing side.

Try this: right-click on the volume icon in the taskbar, choose recording devices, set the one he's using to the default device and default communications device, then disable all the others.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

God ranked is just full of bitter fucks innit.

A lot of games these days have a button labeled "ranked" or "competitive" that allows you to play exclusively with really angry people.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

lohli posted:

In all seriousness, ranked is probably not where you should be if you're still learning the game. Ranked is where people usually go to play the game a little more seriously and it sucks to effectively play the game a man down because someone hasn't yet learned fundamentals like how to deal with various gadgets or general map layouts(let alone the actual rooms for callouts).

There's also the issue of if you queue with good players then it's going to inflate your rating and leave you hopelessly outclassed if you ever play ranked by yourself.

I disagree with this principle. Ranked will drop a new player into Copper league, which is a much easier game than casual 90% of the time. Of course then you'll be matched with people who are both bad and take the game seriously. Ugh.

This is a game where a man down is still fundamentally useful for cameras and callouts.

The single player situations and terrorist hunt should come first though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Here is a list of unlockables and such I would like to see in the future of Rainbow Six Siege, ordered by how feasible I'd imagine they are to implement:

A comic
The character bios they are pretty fleshed out. We never see this expressed in-game aside from pre-round banter and even then only for attacking, and only barely. What do the characters do when they're not racking up the property damage bill? What is the black president lady's goal? Is there a plot? These are all questions some would argue are better left unanswered, but the guns-chess gameplay they enjoy would not be affected while other fans would get something more out of the overall experience. Siege has such a great tongue-in-cheek theme of 'protecting the free world' to dubstep while black president lady is really pitting S.A.S. and F.B.I. against themselves, but after the operator intros and situations that theme goes out the window as the actual game starts.
Intuition tells me that you could just hire out the character bio writer and the least lovely fan artist on deviant art, but if Team Fortress 2's comic is anything to go by the process is much more complicated. Overwatch is probably a poor choice of comparison since it's budget must border infinite.

Crowd-source charms and cosmetics
We are talking static 3D models. Hell there are a bunch in the public domain. Just add a goddamn fuckload. Give 1% of renown/R6 credits to the creators. This won't impact the game for people who don't care or dislike it, and will greatly impact it for people who do. Would it not be relatively cheap and easy to produce?

Skins for deployables and grenades
Why does only the gun get to have a gaudy leopard print and chibi Ash charm? Why not my drone, deployable shield, or impact grenade? Blitz is supposed to have a good sense of humor, wouldn't he put bumper stickers on his shield or something? I don't really play Mute but if he put down an actual wireless router instead of his jammer I would need to have that.

Sprays
Hire some fan artists to make some pngs. 'Smoke was here' could impact gameplay and go against design philosophy though.

Alternate Operator-unique voice lines
DBNO yell, death cry, beginning of round banter, drone, etc. This is a great opportunity for the characters to express their personalities more. See Paladins' voice packs or Overwatch's system.

Taunts / gestures
How often do you look at team mates in-game? Unless you are playing with friends other players are visually just kind of there. Of course you are aware of what they are doing and where they are but no one will over throw you a thumbs-up. Another chance for more characterization.
This kind of time waster may be against some part of the design philosophy but you know people would buy that thumbs-up emote and it could make for more interesting-to watch highlights. It would also be something better to do after a round-win than throwing grenades and tea-bagging. With three unique victory poses and hopefully more in the pipeline it's a direction I would like to see the game's unlockable content continue in.

Operator-unique animations
How many minutes has the average player spent watching the same animation for barricading and wall fortification? Would people trained in France or Brazil really board up a door with the exact same movements? I understand that all these animations would be expensive to produce, but people who play the game a lot would certainly want one for their favorite operator.

Item trading
Totally not going to happen. I imagine the infrastructure is 100% not there and Ubisoft is trying to avoid a secondary market for renown farming.

Map variations with different furniture layouts
I don't know why I want this someone suggested it early in the thread and it would be cool.

Custom hitsounds
I like hearing the Quake 3 arena 'honk' hitsound when I shoot people in FPS games. This is probably the biggest pipe dream on the list but hey, while I'm suggesting the impossible...

afkmacro posted:

drat they're really milking it to the extreme.
To top it off, the gloves are super rare drops in cases that otherwise contain gun skins >90% of the time. The ugliest are more than $100 on the community market. Explanation here.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 8, 2016

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Inside Out Mom posted:

So I unlocked Sledge last night and he's so much fun. Though I realized I get carried away with just wanting to smash everything. IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Try getting MVP in terrorist hunt by smashing walls until you break the hammer.

vvv You bet!

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 8, 2016

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Koramei posted:

They crossed that bar ages ago. I can't count the number of times I've died because of my bright white black ice helmet as Jager or Bandit. Or my vacation hat as Frost. You stick out like a sore thumb.

Also am I the only one that has trouble spotting the spetznaz operators sometimes? I find their camo blends in with concrete (i.e. half the maps) really well.

Bright cosmetics are fine to include - making yourself more visible and an easy target somewhat balances the experience needed to get them. Cosmetics that make you harder to see give you a straight-up advantage over vanilla players.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

uPlay hasn't eaten my save for the game so it must be an anomaly.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

'Lighting fixes' have been in every major patch note since Dust Line's mid-season.

https://gfycat.com/BoldBeneficialGazelle

:downs:

Jesus Christ

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Every time I start Siege, since I first installed it before the Brazil patch, I get one of these two errors:

It's related to my SD card reader when it's empty. Cancel or Continue makes it go away. It's never been more than an annoyance but I finally took pictures of it.

Is there a public bug tracker or something similar for Ubisoft games?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah you can put the traps at various height levels.

Goddamn.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The taskbar icon has white dots in the corners for some reason.

Literally unplayable. Fix your hard, game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I really enjoy your posts ITT, SHY NUDIST GRRL. You started out completely new and now you're more into this game than me. I'm... oh wow 60 hours in, gold rank at best, but I'll probably always be bad and that's fine.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hard posted:

The report to battleye option does that. I know its counter-intuitive AF but thats whats available for now. :/
When it comes to voice chat however it's harder to keep track of them but you can mute them i guess.

How do you report someone to battleye?

e: think this was answered on the last page!

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 23, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I've seen recruits as foremost a punishment for excessive AFK during queues. It also kind of gives brand new players something to aspire to. New players who possibly wouldn't use their class ability or both walls effectively before dieing.

And not to defend the imbalance, buy lacking your favorite scope feels worse on attacker where good peeks are more critical.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Basticle posted:

Wait is that a bug or did he get shot by a doc dart

It says "hold box to revive" instead of "to interrogate".

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Basticle posted:

so i think ever since velvet shell came out shadowplay might be broken with this game? it says its saving recordings but it never saves it to my folder (other games work fine)

I had this a while back. Uninstalling and reinstalling Nvidia Experience fixed it for me.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

CJ posted:

Is there anyway to gift the season pass to a friend?

Yes. This is for uPlay only: https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/tom-clancy-s-rainbow-six-siege-year-2-pass-uplay-key--2778-28

Steam should also let you purchase it as a gift or add a copy of it to your inventory to gift later. Or does it not for season pass DLC?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I like Favelas.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I wish I could hear the Quake 3 Arena hitsound when I hit someone. But I'd like that in literally every FPS.

bobua posted:

Is the sound way better on PC? I have a set of astro a4s on ps4 and they definitely work, but watching youtube videos(serenity) it just seems crazy how they know where people are.

It's been said that sound works differently in Siege. If you hear gunshots to the left then it means the hall/doorway/path to the left is the route to the source of the sound. Like the sound itself travels through the house to get to you. For barriers being broken or footsteps this is a real giveaway. I assume this feature is not PC-only.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kikas posted:

I've had quite a few situations where I'd try to pop an unprotected hatch and the would glow, make the sound and then absolutely nothing happens. Also how big does the hole have to be to crawl in? I thought it was one charge for crawl, two for crouch and three to walk through upright, but I've yet to manage to make a 1 charge hole that I could crawl through.
I thought this meant mute put down a jammer. 1 charge can be crawl but it takes some precision and maybe even luck.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Naw, mute can't jam the charges mid-activation (he is jamming the signal to detonate them), and it gives you a notification instead of activating them when they are jammed.

Well it can't be Bandit since there is no electricity and the charges stay there. I assume it's a huge bug then that I also get all the time. It would be weird if she was the only operator who had a diceroll to determine if they were shooting duds.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jehde posted:

Oh btw I had my twitch drone destroyed when I spawned into the drone phase. I don't remember the map and shadowplay wasn't working so didn't get any footage.

Hard fix your game. Also fix shadowplay for me if you can, thx.

Did you try uninstalling and then installing GeForce Experience?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jehde posted:

Yes, I did a DDU wipe as well.
drat that's a raw deal.
This but the obsidian skin.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Buck is cool because he has a weak, wall-destroying shotgun as well as his normal rifle.
Since headshots are where it's at kill-wise, and GEO has shotguns as a secondary, how is Buck not poo poo now?

e: This was terribly phrased, but how is Buck's ability viable when "also a shotgun" isn't a unique trait anymore?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dang they didn't fix Hibana's charges not exploding.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I think they're interacting with Mira's window wrong

It's on a normal reinforced wall.

I just found another fun bug. I'm curious if the anti-grenade still works in the chair.
https://streamable.com/cpgda

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

**ISSUE (Community Submission)** - Sometimes your weapon will not fire the first time you press your fire button/key.
**ISSUE (Community Submission) [UNCONFIRMED]** - A significant increase in hit registration issues have been reported as of the most recent (2.1.1) update.
Thank good, I thought I needed to get a new mouse.

The bug I posted isn't on the list, so now it's a secret strat.

e: VVV Oh you're right. Yay, but also drat.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 23, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Duggler posted:

This isn't a super serious game and I'm glad we have dumb headgear and uniforms. If they straight up put a clown costume in the game I willl buy it day one and never unequip it

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not to belabor the claim that it should be, but what makes you say it's not a super serious game, aside from the presence of dumb headgear and uniforms (and skins)? It's based on a pretty serious setting by a very serious tactiwank writer, it's about combating terrorism and training to combat terrorism, the "canon" level takes place in a university that's been gassed and is full of dead bodies, the gameplay is pretty realistic, deadly, and full of realistically-weighted ragdolls and death animations, and it has a very serious competitive league. It's not cartoony. What exactly is silly or not meant to be taken seriously about it besides the cosmetics and screaming racists in multiplayer? I'm genuinely curious how else you would justify the claim that this isn't a serious game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ral8sAUNMsM

See also: Intros for Kapkan, Sledge, and when black president lady tells you how important it is to protect freedom.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Orv posted:

Smoke, Mute, Thatcher, Kapkan, Sledge and Blitz are all on the short list of "Would probably be doing the terrorism if Rainbow hadn't picked them up."

The defenders are doing the terrorism. You could argue both sides for the hostage but for bombs and biohazard containers it's kind of clear.

Lady president is basically the Team Fortress 2 announcer. Or maybe announcer guy is. The game could use some plot.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I stopped playing when the shields stoped blocking nitro and hibana's clusters were usually duds. Then Zelda came out. Did these get fixed?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

Sweet. May use that as a reason to hop onto the game proper with ranked. Do we know which CTU it is or just out of the remaining ones shown before?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bets on which operator will get mysteriously broken next? My money's on Thatcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Double the overheal! Hope to see more Doc.

I'm also happy with the Glaz buff giving attackers some way to defend against spawn camping.
Could a military gear nerd explain why the hat is so small? I'm not being facetious here, this kind of hat has always struck me as functionally weak.

• Locked thread