Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Aww man that's just mean Beer. Posting on 6666.

Also this wouldn't have happened with Derek :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ben should get himself a new RSI-compatible nickname. Like Gas Giant.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

someone on December 21, 2016 posted:

Have you folks actually played this?

All the stuff that's actually difficult to do from a technical POV(that originally justified this being called pie-in-the-sky vaporware) has been done. It was done months ago. What's left is bog standard MMO stuff that's already been done hundreds of times before in other games and just takes time to setup.

I have no doubt this is going to be released with most of the promised content, which isn't something I would have said at the start of this year.
I'm dying...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slow_Moe posted:

He's not wrong. He just forgot to mention it was done by someone else than CIG.

Well, there are basically two things wrong with that post (I quoted the same person ages ago in joke unattributed quoting style and he basically said the same thing in summer).

The game is still almost as far from "the hard part is done" as four years ago - they can't even lock down their flight model, who needs large-scale networking anyway, and Clown Robbers wants to reinvent the wheel, so those "standard MMO mechanics" surely can't be standard right?

Also you're right, even if it was a case of just adding standard MMO gameplay that has been done before, CIG are masters of doing things differently badly, screw how actual game developers do things, so even adding just "kill ten rats and hack ores for mining" is not a thing you can expect CIG to add quickly.

I like deluded people on the internet, they're funny.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey about this "the hard part is done" thing. Everything is going to be okay:

turbonerd (which is my favourite word for today) posted:

The Net Work code is much further along, but they can't add it until Item 2.0 is in place.
Think it was that Zurovic guy that said they can now handle much larger instances then originally planned with this new NWC.
And further optimization and improvements would lift that number even further.

As with everything CIG does, they take whatever time they need to build a solid foundation.
I think first release of the new networking code will be in 3.0.

That the super secret build that fixes everything is still alive in late 2016 is amazing. They take whatever time they need to build a solid foundahahahahahahaha :confuoot:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I am sure most game companies don't have a "full" studio at any given point of development by Star Cultists' definition, because people leave and join and really, even if they have 300 people maybe their head honcho actually thinks he needs 350? They'll never be full!

Of course, once you've covered the basic roles I don't care what movie game you're making, a few dozen people are a "full" studio, Clownshoe Incompetent Games have reached that point in their first year after the crowdfunding campaign. It's no excuse.

My favourite thing right now is watching idiots smoothly changing from "gently caress naysayers, game will come out and will be awesome as promised, maybe a tad later" to "I agreed with the naysayers all along but it doesnt matter" without ever acknowledging naysayers Derek was right, because it's so depressing watching/playing 2.6 and Star Marine and the game's progress appears to run backwards :allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
citizens on the Spectrum will never get old, and the information is :awesomelon:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wanna see Ben review Freespace 2

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
These people have serious brain damage :psyduck:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
But does it have pointlessly elaborate missile loading animations like Clown Robbers' masterwork epic?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

While I don't think Chris will ever see space court over this, with his misuse of funds, deceptive practices and general mismanagement, it would be nice to think he will have to answer to, and be judged one day.

Molyneux was called a liar and was derided by various people after the Godus and Curiosity fiasco. I can only hope Roberts at least faces the same and more once Scam Citizen collapses (or releases as an unfinished shitshow, really like Godus I guess). Because you have to be a special kind of incompetent to waste close to 150 million on a video game, on top of a massive liar for managing to keep people spending for so long.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lessons learnt from Star Citizen will be 101% the same as Lessons learnt from Freelancer and Lessons learnt from Wing Commander the Movie. This man is an idiot immune to criticism.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
This schedule is amazing. I'm glad Clown Robbers stays around for another few months of hilarity and entertainment.

Idiots spouting "criticism is why CIG isn't as open anymore" still annoys me though. It's their job, no, their promise to be completely open about what they're doing with your money (because it's not their "income", it's your money they're spending on trying to deliver the product they promised you). There's no "but people on the internet said bad things", if that was the case 99% of all businesses today would have to never talk to anyone, consumers and investors alike. It's 2017, if you gently caress up (or piss off someone, which is 100% guaranteed even if everything is perfect and goes according to plan) someone will make a fuss. It's your loving job as a company or PR department to deal with that accordingly. It's not an excuse to just lie in the face of those customers who didn't hurt your feelings.

loving shitizens :argh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hahaha oh my god this Fyre Festival stuff, thanks whoever posted it, I'm never deep enough in the poo poo parts of the internet so this was news to me.

This is amazing.

"ebola tents" :laffo:

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 28, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Foods and drinks always been planned.
Persistance already exists, but a new way to manage items comes with 3.0 as one of the main features.

Economy is player driven, but there is no crafting.

Checkmate goonies.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh I'm sorry I wanted to say

We are kind of devolving into an uninformed mess here.

Eating and drinking isn't required, remembering to do it will probably just make your health buffed. Comparing this to DayZ unfavorably is hilariously stupid. Even the crappy gameplay out now is better than dayZ's initial stuff or it's later alphas.

I am pretty negative about CIG's management but let's not turn full retard either.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No actually I wanted to talk about the player-driven economy.

Player purchases will influence the available supply, as will other player actions remove piracy in an area increase trade in gods means more manufacturing but also means less munitions and ships will be purchased, some in the economy win some loose but it is still affected by players. That is one of CR's core design goals for all aspects of the game nothing is in isolation every aspect is influenced by changes around it. This is a big part of the reason it is taking so long to develop, rather than building a simple bit of code to deal with the direct requirements that code is also expanded to be able to react to non-related objects.

I am happy to wait in fact if I had any spare spending money I would still occasionally be buying the odd ship (ie. the Nox). But the reason I am happy to wait is that there is demonstrable work in the direction i wish lots of other developers would look, all of what people term "feature creep" that i can see has not been because of ohh would this not be cool lets add it on top of everything else, but we have to build this system to do X in the backend having built that we can also do this for a 10th of the effort that it would have before when we scrapped the idea now it is feasible.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
But let's be reasonably skeptic here.

The original pitch was for a first person universe with systems to support that as fully as possible. Planetside was always the plan, now we just have more planet side than originally expected. Base building and food and all that being non required but maybe useful systems just add life to the game after you get bored of space trucking.

Are these things we needed before releasing the god drat game to see if it's even fun in the first place? Absolutely not, but it's not out of no where or unexpected even if you listen to Roberts talking. He's going for a pretty in depth universe simulator.

Remember when initially we were pitched over clocking individual parts of our ship? Bars and labs and shops with interactive holo interfaces for each of us? Sone kind of factional warfare universe?

I do, that was stuff right off the bat. Feature creep is real, but it's not what I'm concerned about. I just want to know if flying and fighting will be fun. Gimme that and you can add more poo poo in the background as much as you want.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm actually really glad there are still hardcore believers who talk about THE TECH that will save the game, and gaming, and their investments of course, that just has to be implemented slowly and with great care (since clearly CIG has finished revolutionizing the games industry ages ago and is just working on putting it all together).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Showing off art assets is not being open about in development. It's just trying to market junk as actual development progress while the game has been in a state of liquid poo poo for 68 months and they keep regressing on progress on other systems because Chris is in the spectrum.

And yeah, activison and EA and just about every loving publicly traded company is inherently more open than CIG. Because you see quarterly reports on finances and shareholder briefings on their direction you can get a pretty good idea on when they are releasing products.

On the other hand CIG doesn't give a gently caress because Cristo Roberto is above all of us plebs and how dare we know how the company or the game is doing

Slightly more than 8 months.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If MOMA is a Reddidiot, what does that make the posters in this thread who argue with him for real?

Makes u thonk.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
TGDR (too gorf did read)

My favourite thing for the past two years has been shitizens blurring the lines between reality and dreams. I'm glad even a delay of 8+ months of a simple MVP patch isn't making a dent in this lunacy.

Economy is in. Persistence is in. Game done, checkmate CMDRs goonjerks.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Operation tomorrow, pain killers kicking in, desire to edit posts fading

Hope all goes well. See you on the other side!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

[...]
Now compare this to CIGs version:

Easy to use anywhere? Need to set up an extra camera and extra entire area around the character in the scene. Basically it can't be a spur of the moment thing since the scene will need to be built around it.

Development time? Probably between 8-20 months.

Difficulty in implementation? Each scene using a hologram will need the hologram character spawned in some special area other players can't find it, including an additional camera and linking. Every player using it will somehow need to not overlap wherever the hologram guy is at in the world. Will be complex to figure out in a multiplayer setting; and I have a feeling CIG hasn't gotten far enough to figure out how this is actually going to work.

Hardware overhead? Entire character and additional scene needs to be rendered on screen, then rendered again to a texture. A single scene will need at least 3 times the amount of work per frame to render, more depending on how shaders or scene filters are implemented.

Overall CIG spent tons of effort to over complicate something that will not add anything that cloning a character in a location would have done.

I guess the only real added benefit is instead of just getting "a character" hologram you can also see the surroundings of that character too since it's a scene with another camera. But that may make the hologram not stand out and look busy, so it they may end up turning off the background scene, effectively wiping out the only real "benefit".

Also it will probably help to kill your frame rate, which for Star Citizen is kind of an expected feature at this point for everything they do.

But maybe I'm totally wrong. :shrug:

What is this hologram stuff? I had to skip so many pages :ohdear:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

I bet it fucks up their network code and adds more lag.

Actually that's impossible, since Network is done. Lag eliminated, checkmate etc.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had to go backwards from the last page but let me say, I really think an event horizon made of pure retardium should be the thread title for at least a while.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

kikkelivelho posted:

The subscriptions are mainly used to fund community content, shows and events. They don't go towards the dev budget.

But you already knew that.

We missed you :allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

veiled boner fuel posted:

I heard 3.0 is amazing and now is the time to buy in before it gets release to the public servers, is this accurate?

quote:

About 100% sure it's entirely normal for a game at this stage.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So now we have virtually broke CryTek vs CIG and the mighty Amazon?
Doubt either would have hosed up and not done the migration to Lumberyard clean.

Is there any game currently being made with this much hype/prestige/fidelity?
Of course both companies wants Star Citizen under its umbrella.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

No, you are wrong, at no stage was Star Citizen cool.

The very start of the project was Chris Roberts pitch video.

Are you saying that you thought what Chris was saying was cool?

It was failed games developer Chris Roberts from the very start of this - and many people here bought into his bullshit.

It is those people who are to blame for this even thought many of them are now the hardest critics. (Derek backed this to the turn of like 5 AAA games .... all while it was just an Chris Roberts brain fart)

For those who say "anyone who back this after XXX" are fooling themselves; if you have ever back this, you are somewhat to blame.

That is the truth that get forgotten around here.

It was Chris "I was failing at gaming so left to try Hollywood, which I got blacklisted from, so I'm now back to make the best game ever, but no publisher will have anything to do with me, after not releasing a product for over a decade" Roberts from the very start.

That's a simplistic view.

Star Citizen, despite the early criticism, was "cool" to people who didn't obsessively follow Clown Robbers' previous ventures. Those who were ready to bet 50 to 150 bucks (the latter on par with "game + lots of extras for fans" tiers of other videogame Kickstarters like Project Eternity at the time) on getting a new Wing Commander, Freelancer or some form of EVE with first person dogfighting, they knew or should have known that with crowd funding you risked losing your money while getting nothing (or not what you paid for).

That was okay, not every dollar has to be spent on realistic projects and objectively useful things and not many companies were actually making games in space. Roberts had lofty goals and every time he tried to explain technical details you knew he was talking out of his rear end, but he was surrounded by some talented people in Austin and was supported by Crytek and if anything, he didn't have endless resources for once so he'd probably have to cut some of the grand but unrealistic ideas anyway.

It's debatable when that period of SC being a somewhat reasonable risk ended and the insanity began, but I'd put it around the time they reached 20 million, the full amount required to finish the Thumb's vision without outside investors, and kept tacking on more features and concept ships on a weekly basis.

As I followed the project loosely during its first year I was bewildered how people kept buying overpriced concept art when no gameplay existed, for an MMO part that might never be released as planned, but you could still sorta, kinda hope for Freelancer 2014. I think even Clownshoes Incompetent Games was surprised how many mentally ill people they had managed to tap, who continued to throw money at the project well after they reached "full funding".

When people started buying "fleets" for themselves and friends (even in SA threads) and the project leads moved to Hollywood, the project was well on its way to Crazytown.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 19, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did anyone bet 6.66 million yet?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Derek you have fans among EVE vets slash SC cultists:

How can you possibly sleep at night, you monster. Also apparently you're banned.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MedicineHut posted:

That is why I think it will actually not release formally (at least not in the near future) and instead at most will take the shape of some kind of formal Early Access, a la DayZ.

This is pretty much what Shitizens are claiming in response to any sort of criticism, too. Only it's not "early access" (because that's poo poo only the big bad publishers do), they're calling it "MMO". WoW's development never stopped either!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Streetroller posted:

I'm apparently a coward for not allowing people to physically kick my rear end.

:wtchris:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What page do I have to go back to in order to find talk about the Skadden reply to FUKKS's response?

Also, I've now been called Derek Smart too for "exclusively making GBS threads on SC" in some EVE reject veteran forum :laffo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Okay.

You know, I had only one major problem with this game and that was CR"s inability to give us dates that were connected to reality. They told us long ago that they wanted to begin development with us on board and that we'd be with them through the process. Hearing how games are made and often take 5-10 years for anything with huge scope, we could have easily calibrated our expectations for that if they'd just been open about it early on.

But you don't get money by saying it could be a decade long process so they didn't. I am okay with suggesting that the initially pitched and planned game was more of a 3-4 year development game and they've expanded from there quite significantly which cost them a couple years of trashing everything and reorganizing into a bigger company to make a bigger game, but I also understand finding that utter bullshit and not at all what you backed.

Okay, again.

When it was pitched and people were laughing about how it would launch in 2020 and giggling about how stupid we were for supporting it, I used to say that's fine. I'd like to think we could see launch by 2017 because CR is full of poo poo and we should expect delays but even if it only launches in 2020 I'd be fine with that... and you know what? I still am fine with that.

Now, when they've given us a more realistic look at timelines with giant warnings that things will slip? I'm loving pleased. I'm FINE with waiting, and more importantly, I'm god drat ecstatic that expectations are being handled like we're loving morons and we are being told things with dates that make sense.

More than 5 years in early access? Sure. I'm okay with this.

Finally setting expectations properly? HIP HIP HOORAY and poo poo.

Oh and spoiler, game probably won't launch till 2022. If it's earlier, sweet. I'm setting my old prediction of 2019 up by 3 years for giggles so when it inevitably slips to 2020 and then 2021 I won't be disappointed. For a group of supposedly bitter vets, maybe we should all set our expectations at, "It won't launch at all" and work our way up from there rather than this retarded LOL SC STILL poo poo LOLOLOL poo poo we pretend is discussion here.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

loving :laffo::laffo: that you think this poo poo-show is ever getting "released"

Assuming that the internet accountants out there aren’t full of total poo poo, CIG is making more than enough a year to fund their studios on a year by year basis plus having a moderately health reserve. If funding declines in a sensible manner rather than all at once, they’ve probably got 3-5 years of funding left in them plus downsizing giving them time if needed.

Based on what I’m seeing progress wise, they really need 3 more years and more than likely could use 5 more years with development post launch and assorted bug and performance tweaks to be made. It’s my belief that unless funding declines precipitously, they’ll be okay at least.

It’s also my belief that they’re uncertain about way too many systems for the game to be well conceived or implemented so it’s going to be a bit of a poo poo show at launch and maybe will never get better. I would like to be wrong on that part. Still, good news is that they are strong on their stance to have modding tools and we can run our own servers with our own jury rigged systems to make it fun.

I may be too pessimistic on the implementation but I do fully believe that they have the funding and methods of funding to be fine for completing the development stages and hopefully the post development work needed to maybe make it an amazing experience.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Duckaerobics posted:

Honest question. Do you think they have enough funds to pay for development through 2022 already, or do you think they will continue to take in funds at the current pace even if it takes 4 more years?

I just don't see any way they maintain funding for long enough to hit a 2022 release. My bet is that if the Crytek case doesn't sink them, they will call the game "released" sometime this year with the promise to add mechanics and continue development.

Won't be a problem, they can just spit out concept ships left and right.
Remember, while the game might not be completed for quite some time, you can still play it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Way to kill the mood, thread was at peak stupid :mad:

Landing succesfl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nyast posted:

So you are sending the message to the game industry that it is fine to lie, over-promise and sell dreams. Meanwhile, honnest indie developers, who are only selling what they truely believe they can deliver, get no money.

Honnesty doesn't pay.

Good job sir !

And if you ever bought the "evil publishers" narrative, that also makes you an hypocrit.

Let's look at a much, much simpler game as an example: Factorio.

Factorio started development in 2012, and went early access in 2014. It's probably going to reach 1.0 some time this year, giving 6 years total development.

Now consider that Factorio is a very simple 2D game, with very few mechanics. Larger and more complex projects always take more time regardless of how many people work on them; significant parts of development are inherently serial & cannot be sped up for any amount of money.

I'd expect the kickstarter version of SC to take around 6-8 years to produce, and the current scope-crept version to take 8-12 depending on what gets cut. If they cut almost everything out and rush as much as possible they could probably release a decent game in late 2019. They won't do that, so I expect something on the upper range of the timescale, more in the 2022-2024 range. Perhaps later, if they keep scope creeping.