Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I was disappointed at first with the delay from CIG, but now I realize that this is actually a miracle.

CIG was running out of ideas, running out of time and money. Skadden's lawyers were phoning all day long, demanding to know about this and that, and Coutts' e-mails were filling up the inboxes of everyone in the LA office. They could only entertain us for a scant two hours with images of generic space ships and regurgitated faff from old 90's movies, and then we'd all have to back to the drudgery of our real lives. Hollow, like death. With only real games to play and our loving families to comfort us in our time of need.

But then, when no one was expecting it, just before the final flash of hilarity and gently caress-uppery that would send us off for 2017, the word came that the comedy would last much longer. Oh, and it did. The comedy burned brightly for 24 more hours! Far exceeding the limits of what we thought possible, the Goons' cups runneth over! Mirth and merriment spread across all the forums. Joyous words rang out from the signal boosters and the FUDsters, and for that day the Goons were more than satisfied by the offerings of the Crobberts.

And so it was, that on this day a new Goon tradition emerged! From now until eternity, on every 21st of December, we Goons shall light 24 candles, one for every extra hour of hilarity, and break our water mains, then get in a fender bender to honour the miracle that has been bestowed upon us.

Crobberts be praised, for he is the true giver of laughter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

This whole thread could pretty much be replaced by this if they changed "congress" to CIG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC3W1BiUjp0

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I really enjoy the slow, relaxing music in this. I feel like I'd be pretty chill, too, if floors and walls had absolutely no power over me.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

PederP posted:

These people who want everything to take forever and be almost entirely uneventful need to play A Tale in the Desert. When I played it there was no quick travel or teleporting. You had to walk everywhere. My character was spawned somewhere on the tip of the Sinai peninsula and I built my stuff there. Unfortunately that meant that if I wanted to go to the Nile delta, I had to spend hours running through the Sinai desert. Just going to a nearby Sinai guild to trade and hang out could easily take 30 minutes of running.

Building anything took forever as you needed to harvest crazy amounts of resources and every single mechanic was a timesink. I think they have chariots and some pseudo-quick travel (which takes a very long time to gain), but it's still really good at wasting your time from what I can see. But I dunno if they'd like not being able to buy into non-pleb status, as it is very much a social game and you can't really accomplish anything on your own. The game also starts over on a regular basis. That could potentially cause some grief.

I can't believe this is still going. When I was in high school I worked for a small website reviewing video games and I did a preview of this game when it was in beta. I got a call from the developer and he took me around the map using some kind of teleportation thing to show me all the stuff people had been working and to let me see the various parts of the map.

It was incredibly impressive in its size and community at the time. The focus on community and working together instead of killing each other was also pretty novel back then, which was kinda cool.

I had a free pass to play if I wanted to, but in the end, you're right. It's a massive time sink to do anything, and because I had to split my time reviewing other games I couldn't really get into it to the degree needed. It was very interesting, but also pretty tedious unless you were playing with friends which I wasn't.

Don't worry though, I'm sure Chris has thought through all of this and the game will be very engaging during your six hour flights to the middle of bumfuck nowhere to do nothing for no reason.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

old gamers who dont remember what old games were actually like and dont play modern games all cheering over this thing that represents the worst excesses of gaming in all ways

its a walking simulator with bad ai, it runs poorly, its full of 'press f to pay respects' inner thoughts poo poo

Press 'F' to bring up your inner thought dialogue and then use your slow as gently caress mouse cursor to select "pay respects", which will then breathlessly be read out loud.

They can't help but make everything worse, even things that were already dumb.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Speaking of the script, were the lines in that SQ42 demo present in the leaked script?

Yep. I'm not sure where to find it, but during the live presentation someone found the next few lines between the pilot and Ser Davos while it was happening and posted it to the discord channel. It was pretty close to spot on, with a few small liberties taken by the actors of course.

Script confirmed.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hur-dur. A knee-slapper, man. I had to notch open my belt for that one.

I thought your belt didn't have any notches. I thought that was the whole point of your belt.

I don't know what's real anymore.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Pixelate posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7skj1w/i_did_a_thing/?st=jcszt895&sh=8d8f3479

Is this actually Mark Hamill? I don't even know anymore. Either way he looks constipated.

Counterpoint:

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Virtual Captain posted:

Do you have a scaleable goonrathi logo? A high resolution one would probably work fine too. Thanks.

It's only 600x700, but you could probably vectorize it pretty easily. Let me know if you want it and I'll send it your way.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Virtual Captain posted:

I do want it as my vectoring attempts on google image results have been imperfect.

Not sure if this'll work, but I attached it to this post.

Edit: Looks like it did...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Those guys are in England, as far as I know (the guys who made the big benny's machine, the spacesuit locker, and the cargo crate) and it's never been hinted that they were the ones to do the door. In fact, the email from CS says nothing about it being donated by backers, so I'm not sure where they pulled that from.

To be fair, in the grand scheme of things the backers donated everything CIG has. They gave them money and got sweet gently caress all, but CIG has some useless airplane desks and a space door and that's progress apparently.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Galarox posted:

Whankers? Seriously? Jesus this Gremlich clown is obviously not a Brit or he would know that he had repeatedly, badly, mis-spelled "wankers". What an utter wanker.

I don't see anything whrong whith the whay he spelled that whord.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Honestly I’d be willing to bet that sterling’s main motivation for not doing it is more due to how much loving research is involved if you haven’t been keeping track. There’s a lot of common knowledge we take for granted and even then there’s always a couple posts a month going “wait did that really happen? I thought it was a joke!”

I remember him saying in one of his podcasts a while ago (like 6 months ago or more) that this is the exact reason for not doing it. There's an absolute shitton of information, and so much of what you find is superceded by new lies and promises, or has been retconned by either the citizens or Roberts himself that it's tough to get an accurate picture of anything if you haven't been standing in the middle of it for years like people in this thread or the subreddit.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Hello friends,

• ?ntichamber - AZP90-M?8FX-Q4ZBZ
  • Beatbuddy: ?ale of the Guardians - CTCF9-V7L2P-L4?HF
  • Dust: An E?ysian Tale - L0KPX-RHPG4-8KIC?
  • ?EZ - 037?J-I7I6M-604RD
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted ?reams - 5ZJW5-M7?I9-AWT23
  • Guacamelee! Gold ?dition - ZHLC5-3?YXQ-PN5V2
  • S?arseed Pilgrim - CIY9A-DMP?Z-3T56T
  • The Swapp?r - Q?YVH-LX503-42YFX
  • ?urnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box (Steam) - 370JK-TNLPD-?FVBA
  • Dead S?ace (Origin) - CYUU-MN2S-9K?5-EWNV-6X6L
  • Command and Conquer Red ?lert 3 Uprising (Steam) - 85QJJ-5?LA7-3KZBE
  • Crysis 2 ?aximum Edition - 4?AE7-NTH7E-QHGG3

I think these all work, enjoy!

I'm not going to claim any of these due to my own backlog and workload, but I will shill for Antichamber and Guacamelee. Antichamber is super chill and trippy, while a bit short, but it's a very relaxing good time. Gucamelee is for you if you like any kind of sidescrolling beat-em-up kinda action, or luchadores.

Who knew there would be actual games, let alone good games to talk about in here?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hold the loving phone... I thought CIG have only been developing Star Citizen since 2015? What the gently caress is this 5 and a half years (+1 year for prototyping) bullshit?!

Joke's on you, FUDster, they're still in the prototyping phase. Development hasn't even started yet, and won't for the foreseeable future. Not everyone has the patience for game non-development, I guess. :smuggo:

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Virtual Captain posted:

CIG aced the eyeball culling tech. :hellyeah:

Blind culling is in.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

Are trying to tell me that a man who kickstarted a belt might not have the best judgment?

It's not just a belt, it's a tactical pants-retention system.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Yeah no, I'm part European, grew up in Europe etc, and I have NO reason to believe that its common. Because it's not.

Over the years, the standard has evolved to be more universal because, for a time, only a few EU countries used a comma where a decimal point should be. Some even used to use spaces or periods (rear end backwards) to separate digits. Until they got laughed at incessantly because, guess what? That's not what was taught in EU schools. Those doing it, came up with that all on their own. That's how wars happen.

The usual culprits of this bullshit? The French.

The rule is when writing large numbers, to use a comma every third digit, while going from right to left.

ps: How do I know all this poo poo? Because I'm a sperg, and this is the sort of poo poo that sticks in my craw each time I come across it. It's like that age old battle between "your" and "you're".

pps: Think I'm kidding? There's a whole loving May Blog about this poo poo.

I can't wait until Jesus Patch 3,1 hits and we can talk about something else.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Star Citizer: Every person looks exactly the same, but every egg is procedurally generated.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

intardnation posted:

why say something so stupid when it is easily proven false?

Because only a non-believer would dare fact-check something said by an infallible community manager. You believe, don't you?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

It's a SC branded overhead track security door.

For securing your jpeg hardcopies

As an added bonus, with some extra plywood and some gumption, you can turn this into a functioning space door for your home or office!

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I am pretty much convinced a lot of these accounts are one dude, that way it makes me feel better about humanity.

OK, next week, I will, I'll put it out there so I am sort of forced to :v:

Please enter it into the tutorial contest. That thing was pretty much made for you.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Don't worry fellow commandos. Chris has said that they're still planning the game, which means they're very close to being started. In my experience with project management, planning usually takes between 5 and 10 percent of the total work necessary to finish a job, and since we're only six years in, let's say it'll only take one more year to get the planning stage finished. So, that's seven years to get 10% finished (to be generous) in 2019, so Squadron 42 should release somewhere around 2089.

Barring any delays of course, but these guys are professionals.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

Except that's not how construction works. You don't "upgrade" a straw hut into a wooden building. None of the components that make up the substructure are transferable. You have to know you want a wood building from the get-go. Then you plan for it and build it properly. If there's a straw hut already there, it has to be torn down. Not even the materials are transferable. This is true all the way up the tier chain.

This is an interesting point, because not only are the materials not transferrable, if you're making a wooden building and the straw hut is there, you're actually adding extra work. Planning in architecture (or anything else really) is incredibly important, for this exact reason. Making a change when nothing is built is cheap and easy, because it's just lines in a CAD program. If you build a wall in your new house, put a floor in top of it, and then run electrical through it, when you want to take it out, you've actually created even more work than just putting in a wall there in the first place.

Tier 0 implementations, especially in a case like this, are loving stupid because you have to do the work to make it, then do more work to undo that work, THEN do what you should have done if you had a good plan from the beginning.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to suspect that CIG's project management may be less than adequate.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

TheSickeningTruth posted:

Why do I have this poo poo on my youtube front page?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWZiEBJpt0

What have you people done to me???

Last week I got an ad for a kick-started belt at the top of my Gmail inbox page. The inevitable consequences of reading the Star Citizen thread.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Found Star Citizen's next product tie-in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z6OFH8b5Gc

This would be great fun in Star Citizen until your ship inexplicably starts rotating at 7000 RPM, sending you flying at high speed into your wall of anime statues.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Holy poo poo, I haven't been keeping up with the thread this last week and forgot that CitCon was not only this week, but this DAY.

What a time to be alive.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

his nibs posted:

jood times

I'm going to start pronouncing it as if it's jif, but with a soft J. "That's a hilarious yif!", I'll say, infuriating every turbonerd and confusing every furry within earshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Breaking news: Female avatars coming in March 2019, only 7 years (maybe?) into development!

https://twitter.com/dave_colson/status/1066286223759675393?s=19

Too bad they were delayed by those other delays. I'm sure this timeline is perfectly accurate.