Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

One of the rumoured premium skins I heard was Mr. Freeze as a skin for Captain Cold. If so that would entirely make sense and be pretty awesome.

And while it hasn't been announced I could also see them getting a lot of the CW cast to do skins for characters like how they did with Stephen Amel as Arrow in Injustice 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I wonder how the Joker comes back in this considering the thing that began all the troubles in the Injustice universe was Superman putting his fist through him.

Green Arrow (from the Injustice Universe) was also killed by Superman (in the Injustice Year One comic.) and was referenced in the game as being dead.

He's in this game and back from the dead. And in fact in this video he even straight up says this in his opening to Captain Cold.

https://youtu.be/ZwjfOp-YMzE

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

http://i.imgur.com/c8lxjTJ.gifv

Everything about Flash in this one is awesome.

It's even funnier when the Reverse Flash does that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The thing is the X-Men have re-appeared in the MOBA game Future Fight. And it looks like they'll appear in Avengers Academy.

I think that Marvel are slowly starting to allow the X-Men back into some of their multi platform media. On that basis you could probably come up with a better line for why they aren't in Marvel vs Capcom. (That the time isn't right for them, or at the start of the development cycle they weren't a priority. But now might be.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Phase one all had tie in games, and Avengers was going to but it was cancelled.

They were all as bad as you would expect and why it stopped.

The Avengers had a flash-player tie in game on Facebook, called Avengers Alliance.

And no joke, just like the Injustice Comic, it was literally 10 billion times better than you would assume based on that summary. That game was aces and ran for about five or six years.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Avengers Alliance wasn't in the MCU though. They referenced it plenty but it had X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

It was the best possible universe. It was mostly the 616 universes, except they occasionally copied some stuff from the MCU.

And they had a version of Civil War 2 that made sense.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, TT batman s2 ep2 comes out on Sept 24th. Why such a gap between epiosde darnit?

I thought that they released episodess 1 and 2 for their Guardians of the Galaxy game but no more. And that came out in April.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Telltale confirmed that Guardians and Batman would be heading to Switch, so if you want to remember this on the go, there ya are.

The Question IRL will remember that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Spawn strikes me as a character who works in the Mortal Kombat universe, while Hellboy works for Injustice.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

That's something I always wondered why computer game companies never do.

So way back in 2000, footage was released for this new Zelda game. It looked amazing and was considered too good to be true. In fact it was, it was a tech demo to drum up interest, but they couldn't make a game using that engine.

But that thought has always stuck with me. Like why not make a computer game, with a generic engine that is easy to work with and does all the stuff that you want the main game to do.

But then for one specific section of the game (say the final boss battle.) use a completely different engine. One which pushes technology to the limit and looks far better than the main game. But make the engine limited so that it only has to do like three or four things. Instead of a wide engine that has to handle your character walking around and jumping over fences, just make it a pre-rendered on rails sequence where you have a couple of limited choices.

Like basically make a normal game and have the very final boss fight just be a Dragons Lair style branching animated movie with the best possible pre-rendered graphics imaginable.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wanderer posted:

What you're proposing is basically the same as trying to shove two entirely different types of engine into a single automobile.

The engine for a program is the central set of software libraries which guides every bit of the whole experience, from graphics to physics to where its files are located. Using another engine entirely for a specific segment would comically bloat the size of the final product for an uncertain benefit to the end-user, at least double the time it took to test and debug the game, and require a producer to hire a team of employees specifically to work with and integrate the two programs, which is going to blow a big hole in the game's operating budget.

It's much simpler to use a single, flexible engine that can do most or all of what you ask of it, and if somebody wants to make a game that demands more performance or utility than existing engines can produce, then they're just going to make a new engine.

I guess that sort of makes sense. I suppose I was thinking in terms of the days when Game Companies would devote time to making long pre-rendered cutscenes for the Intro that was done with graphics far in advance of the main game. (The PS1/PS 2 Era Final Fantasy Games. A lot of PC adventure games like Outcast etc..) Basically bring something like that back for one or two specific sequences not in the games main engine and just make it a branching cutscene, which is disguised with some button prompts to decide the players choice, or a basic "Rock/Paper/Scissors" style mechanic where your choice is either the right response, the sort of right response, the sort of wrong response or sort of wrong.

The idea that it wouldn't be done because it's more of an artistic idea and not commercially viable visa vie the financing of computer games (and how you'd be paying for content that most buyers would never see...unless they watch You Tube videos of people play it weeks after the game came out.) is probably the biggest reason why it would never be done.

I still think it's an idea with potential, but I understand the why it would never exist. Outside of me stumbling across a Cosmic Cube and wishing the game into existence.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Origins and Knight are half assed games with terrible stories. Arkham City's fine, despite some story problems.

I get the feeling Arkham Superman is going to focus way too much on Luthor.

I understand that people were annoyed that the Joker was in Arkham Origins, but the story of a new Batman fighting a gauntlet of villains is a pretty good story.

And it has one of my all time favourite Batman moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5meg74IhGAI

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I remembered there was a cancelled Superman game for the PS3 which had him fighting Doomsday through a building.

When I put in Cancelled Superman Game on YouTube, I got dozens of search results. There are a lot of cancelled superhero games.
(Including one people were talking about here for Daredevil.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

It's been a while since I played Human Revolution or Mankind Divided but I don't remember anything about Adam being someone's clone.

I remember he was gene engineered to be able to accept all the augmentation and that the Illuminati wanted to make the first Deus Ex game happen but little else of crucial importance.

Apart from how difficult it was to get the achievements for no killing enemies, stealth running the game AND saving both sets of hostages in the last level.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Why did stealth takedowns cost energy.

It was for gameplay balance reasons.

Otherwise all you would do is switch on Cloaking, Silent Movement, Speed running and then dash through a level doing stealth double takedowns on every enemy and clear the levels in about two minutes before your battery runs dry.
By making each takedown cost one bar, it means you can't just completely end levels.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The Adam you play as in MD is strongly implied to be a clone of Adam. Different augs, fuzzy memory, and you can find a body in a container that uses Adam's model in versalife. They also do a lot of "a man resembling Adam" stuff in text

Ah that explains it.
I never went to Versalife to get the cure for the bio weapon.
I went to the building with the Hacker cult to get the bomb jamming device.
It's cool, might have to replay it.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 21, 2019

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Crowetron posted:

Making a game about the most popular super heroes in the world and forcing the player character to be a nameless grunt who fetches coffee for Sam Jackson does seem like a pretty AAA Gaming thing to do.

Excuse me. Let me tell you about a flash game for Facebook called Avengers Assemble.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Avengers Alliance, you philistine

*Gasp*
You're right.

So what's the protocol now. Do I join the Nights Watch, undertake a doomed quest or will only seppuku restore my clans honour?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Starsnostars posted:

You forgot the name of the game but I bet you remembered that Cyclops actually has two eyes.

I also remembered that Emma Frost doesn't have Ice based powers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wanderer posted:

For whatever it's worth, I saw the behind-closed-doors demo on Avengers, and the characters all looked a lot better there.

Are you saying that in the early part of the game an Incursion happens and better looking versions of the Avengers show up and we play as them for the rest of the game?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Funny you mention MGS5.

During the game Huey builds this thing called Battle Gear. It gets a cool cutscene and theme music.

It is never seen for the rest of the game, being something you just deploy for resource generation and nothing else.

Supposedly it was designed and put into the game, but taken out because it was too broken. From the sounds of it, it would have worked like the Batmobile from Arkham Knight where it has a driving mode and a fighting mode.
I would have loved to see how it worked.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Time for me to post my favourite sequence from Arkham Origins.

I always love this bit. For me this makes the game worth while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbseMaCIfdo&t=100s

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly isn't Batman the thing that ends up dragging down a lot of shared universe stuff anyways? Because a lot of the things that can work for him as a solo hero+ensemble cast either don't work as well with the rest of DC's big heroes or directly contradicts most of the things that people like about them.

There have been great things with batman and the other DC heroes, but they have to be planned like that from the start. You can't have a story of Batman alone against a hostile world and plug in everyone else and expect it to be the same.

When Arkham Origins was announced, they said that it would feature the Silver Age JLA in it. And I thought that would be perfect.

I had this image of the games plot playing out and you'd have mention made of the Justice League trying to contact you, but Batman would keep brushing them off because he is in the middle of solving this big case.

And you'd reach a point where Batman figures out what the villains plot is (say the Joker has all these bombs he is about to drive all over Town.) but Batman gets ahead and finds the trucks when they are still in the warehouse and he's about to cut the villains plan off at the legs.

But just as you are about to go in, the Justice League appear. And they should look glowing and glorious and godlike in comparison to Batman. They should be bright and illuminate Batman in light and there should be almost like wind blowing him back in a way that makes him look vulnerable.
And they explain that they have been trying to contact him because Mogul is in low Earth Orbit in War World and he's about to start blowing up countries NOW, so they need Batman to infiltrate the ship and disable his defences.

And the next bit of the game could have been almost like a Call of Duty style game where you see Green Lantern and Wonder Woman doing these big action set pieces, while you creep past to access the ships power grid or something. Then you end up watching the League fight Mogul and periodically as Batman you jump in when Mogul is off balance to stab him with a batarang.
And when you are done you rejoin the games plot but all the villains have moved on, and Batman has to track down where all the trucks went.

Basically I see Batman in the Justice League as someone who they view in a high reguard and have need of his skills. But he himself is competely outclassed and has to rely on a lot of training and gadgets to not get instantly jibbed.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Ambitious of them to model Hawkeye after Stephen Amell.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't want to play a game where I kill Superman though. He's Superman. Not even an evil version.

As someone on Twitter pointed out, if you look closely at the eyes of the Superman in that image you can see cracks around the skin.

Either Superman is getting some Kryptonian crows feet, or that’s a Bizzaro.

Also seeing this game reminds me that they planted the seed for this game in a post credit sequence for Arkham Origins of all places.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I wonder if Gameplay wise this is going to be like the multiplayer mode from Resident Evil 3.
As in a team of four players on one side, each playing different characters with different skill sets.

And then one other player on his own who controls waves of mook enemies that the Squad have to work past to get to a boss Justice League character.
It would give them scope to have a suicide squad that is more than just four villains.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

What are some folk's fondest memories of older forgotten superhero games?

I remember liking NES Batman and SEGA Batman Returns on the Genesis. There was SEGA Xmen game I remember enjoying (a side scroller) and have vague memories of a Spiderman game on Genesis where you got $ for web fluid by taking photos (which was a neat idea) that I recall renting but never finished. Spiderman V. Kingpin I think (?)

I heard good things about The Wolverine game on PS2 (I think it was) but never played it and think my all timer is Hulk: Ultimate Destruction but I was trying to brainstorm much older games for purposes of my post and am coming up short.

Funny how few really good superhero games there were on Genesis and SNES.

Moving forward though, I'd LOVE both a follow up to Hulk:UD and a dedicated Daredevil game that uses Arkham's detective vision mechanic and builds on that using Matt's other heightened senses in ways that emphasize his unique powers. Seems like there'd be a lot you do with that by focusing on sound, smell, touch and DD popping light bulbs or throwing breakers to make environments dark. You could even add some lawyering poo poo like Ace Phoenix or interrogations like L.A. Noire tried and then put in some puzzles where DD has to figure out colors or CPU screens that he can't see.

My favorite one that is unknown because it wasn't released in the States, was the Batman Movie game for home computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGHLLh3iZwU

site posted:

Having the whole game in x-ray detective mode would probably get annoying tho

There was a cancelled PS2 Daredevil game from around the time of the Daredevil movie. I think it had a sonar mode which would have been like Detective Mode.
I think this was it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSNgXKCwLwo

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I've been watching SA Goon Slowbeef do a LP of Batman: Arkham Origins where he is going for Platinum.

It just reminds me that the game was a lot better than all the hate it got.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

catlord posted:

To be fair, it made a lot of bad choices. The basic stuff from City is all there, and that all feels good, and then you have things like certain upgrades being blocked off because you have to do something, and there's only a couple times you can do them in the entire game, or the story fizzling a bit (I thought it was... fine, but I do agree with basically every criticism of it). Of the four main games I'd personally say it's tied for the weakest (I felt that Knight's flaws dragged it down a bit), but I also feel that the worst Arkham game is still pretty drat good.

Yeah. I get why they blocked off some upgrades (to make it so that you couldn’t just buy the best upgrades straight up and to give an incentive for doing side quests.
And the challenge ladder stuff being possible to mess up and get locked out of was a poor design move.

But watching Slowbeef’s LP, I saw that the design for progression of the game (how the Riddler/Enigma stuff was unlocked) was better than how it appeared in City. (Making it Unlock Tower which gives you Relays which then give you informants which give you the Data Packs) seemed a better system.

It’s also got better boss fights. Yes it doesn’t have the Mr. Freeze fight from City, but Deathstroke is just the combat version of Freeze’s predator boss. And a load of the other boss fights (Copperhead, Firefly, Killer Croc, Bane) all work better than the other Arkham games boss fights.

Even the story flows better than City. Like it makes a logical sense and has emotional development for the main characters. While City is more “Batman get’s poisoned. Better go to these places and see if there is a cure.”

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

catlord posted:

This is one part where Origins stands head and shoulders above Knight. I was pissed at Knight's Deathstroke fight. How could they mess that up that badly?

Rocksteady Exec 1: Okay so which of Batman's villains will we put into the game today?

Rocksteady Exec 2: Right. While this guy is technically a DC villain, he has fought Batman a few times. I say we put in Deathstroke.

Rocksteady Exec 1: Brilliant. He's got an arsenal of weapons and gadgets, he's an expert hand to hand combatant and he has the perfect motivation to be brought into this plot since he is a mercenary. We even have the perfect blueprint for how the fight works by copying the fight from Arkham Origins. Everyone agrees that was one of the best parts of that game.

Rocksteady Exec 2: Sure. But what if, instead of doing that, we just put him into a tank, make it unfun and generic as possible and just call it a day.

Rocksteady Exec 1: I like it. Hey wanna take this Sony money, buy some cocaine and pound nails into our dicks?

Rocksteady Exec 2: Hell yes!

Fin.

catlord posted:

It occurs to me, since they were talked about earlier but I don't remember seeing it mentioned, but the Arkham games just released on GOG, as part of their current sale. $5 for the first three and $10 for Knight. They also have the Telltale Game and the Lego Batman games.

Cool. I didn't know that the Telltale Batman games were still available. I downloaded them after the company went under and kept them on my PS4.
If I can still download them I won't have to copy them over to my PS5 for Christmas.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

It also feels like the best iteration of TellTale doing it's best to cover up 'the thing happens anyway regardless of your choice' and some of your choices actually stick. (Tales is my favorite TT game.)

Batman felt particularly bad about the opposite. Like you have the option to let Catwoman crash at Wayne Manor and... nothing comes of it save she leaves anyway and you don't even get a scene of her there?

The Catwoman one was all about building a relationship with her. Except for it to really work you almost had to follow a walk through to pull it off. You needed to make a very specific set of choices to get her to want to be with you.

Meanwhile one crucial choice is save Harvey Dent from having his face melted or stop Catwoman from being shot.

And Catwoman being shot has little consequence (I don't even think it's something you have to do for the Catwoman relationship) Harvey's choice is both wide ranging and unimportant at the same time. It's a strange thing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Look I think there is a compromise here we can reach that will make everyone happy.

You should be allowed play as the big Marvel Universe heroes AND there will be perma-death if things go wrong in a mission.

But after any mission where you lose a character, they play a little cutscene showing that the hero wasn't actually disintegrated, but sent forward in time. Or trapped in an alternate universe. Or replaced with a Skrull before the mission. Or being brought back to life on Krakoa.
And at the very end of the game, every character who died is revealed to be still alive. Perfect comic book experience.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

Hell, forget the end of the game, have them show up as brainwashed cyborg versions a few missions down the road as an enemy you can rescue back. Even more comic book appropriate and I’m amused at the idea of game strategies including “kill this character off to get a better version ASAP” (think some LOTR games have done that with Gandalf before, but that’s the only other example I can think of off the top of my head).

(The year 2026. The place, Dark YouTube. Since this is the dark future.)

"What's up, it's ya boi FreedomLover69, back with another stream. This time I'm going to be playing Marvel Com: Terror From the Deep.
So the strategy we are going to adopt is we are going to get Captain America killed in the first mission. This seems crazy because Cap is so good, but by doing this we get Sam Wilson Captain America as a replacement. And midway through the game we get a chance to recruit Deathlok Captain America and he is seriously OP.
But first I'd just like you all to hit Like and Subscribe and hit the Bell Icon to be notified of all my future streams. And lastly, if you are living in a State that has not adopted Purge Laws, I'd please ask you to contact your elected representatives and tell them to vote to impeach President Mecha-Trump."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

In fairness to them when your roster includes a mutant who can come back from any injury, a man who regularly backs up his mind and a Hellspawned weapon for Heaven, the idea that your team could die just around the corner loses a bit of credibility.

Though Marvel games with a bunch of established heroes and Player Insert characters are a mixed bag, I'm hoping less X-Men: Destiny and more Marvel: Avengers Alliance.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There's a qualitative difference in feel between RNG that effects your outcomes and RNG that effects your options. An X-Com sniper might hit, or they might miss, but they'll never flat out not be able to snipe just because I didn't draw any Snipe! cards this round.

Just going back to this, even this point isn't true.

If you are talking about the Fireaxis XCOM games there were easily situations where your sniper couldn't snipe. They hadn't reloaded on the last turn, you had to move them, an enemy used a power on them, they didn't have LOS etc...
There were all kinds of situations where you didn't have the chance to snipe and the action was denied to a player for a turn.

The card system is just a further abstration of this. "The rules say you can't do this thing you want to do this turn."
It's just more blatant about it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

But on the other hand, the game won't let my character smooch Nico or Magik or Captain America.

I know it will never happen, but they should completely lean into the Thirst, even more than Mass Effect did.

Wolverine: I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do is satisfy ladies!

Dr. Strange l: Are you ready to witness the ultimate techniques of the Sorceror Supreme? It's butt stuff.

Captain Marvel: I don't normally partner with women, but you've proven yourself as a wingman. So, you ready to serve under the Captain?

Magick: Da, we go back to my dimension and have teh sex. Warning, it will get crazy.

Blade: Hey baby. Want me to drain some of your blood, then suplex you?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I saw some rumours about Injudtice 3 being announced (and that He-Man would be a DLC fighter. Which makes sense given he crossed over in a comic tie-in.)

I don't know if it will happen but if it did, I'd love for them to put Shaggy from Scooby Doo in as a DLC fighter. Lean into the meme.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The one thing I'm concerned about is that all 4 characters will play the same. Like, logically KS and Harley should be your tank and melee DPS, Deadshot is big single target damage and Boomer does CC. But the trailer makes it look like they all kinda do the same stuff.

The one thing I will say about that trailer is it does a good job in showing how each character moves.

Like from looking at it, Deadshot seems to be all about a jetpack that lets him circle strafe around enemies or go above them to get verticality. It makes him seem like he wants to keep distance with enemies at all times, which makes sense if he is guns4pro.

While King Shark looks to be about huge leaps and climbing up surfaces. So he is about closing the gap and getting in enemies faces....before biting them off.

While Harley Quinn seems to use a grapple to swing around areas to make for hit and run attacks, Captain Boomerangs agile sliding moves and super speed dashing seems like he wants to be close to enemy groups but always moving.

That could form a very interesting gameplay core that might be fun and offer a unique feel to all four characters, while letting you build up a preferred character/playstyle. Or it might be reparative and bad.

It also looks like it has some teamwork system to reward one character assisting another one.

It's early days and it's not the type of game I would associate with the Suicide Squad (which I think should have been just a huge roster of C-list villains who die and get rotated out) but there might be something to this game.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

One of the appeal of Superman stories is the idea of Clark Kent doing his thing, suddenly hearing someone crying for help and seeing him do the "run towards the camera and rip open the shirt to reveal the 'S stands for Hope'" thing.

But as fantastic as it is to see that whole bit down really well, doing it in gameplay would probably feel really tedious after the 10th time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

This is only tangentially related to the copaganda argument, but I hate that there is a crime family in the Marvel universe called the Maggia. The world has a real crime family called the Maffia but it's a criminal organisation, not a super crime family or anything like that. A lot of people are unaware of the difference between criminal organisations and super crime families run by cyborgs already, we don't need Marvel adding to the confusion.