Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
google "pain letter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

qirex posted:

I'm looking for work now, it's the worst

my first 2 in-person interviews I knew in under 5 minutes I didn't want to work there

The sad truth is that there are a lot of terrible places to work and most of the interviews you have are going to match that statistic.

A likable job is a goddamned unicorn.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

One of my worse interviews was at Hosting.com (back then HostMySite.com).

The interviewers were a bunch of nerds that had no idea what they were doing, and it completely devolved into them asking me questions like, "If you could be any class from World of Warcraft, which would you be?"

They offered me a gig as one of their Server hardware guys, but I didn't take it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

"We're afraid you just aren't a good, err, culture fit, if you will. Thanks for your time."

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Donald Trump, a man known for the truth and conviction of his words.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

"oh that was on social media, it doesn't mean anything"

if you do not understanding the horror of mass death that is possible with the implied or express destablization of MAD, i can put you on ignore right now and resume speaking with adults, your call

The guy is a colostomy bag of a human being and you can't take anything he says seriously. This isn't a good thing, and makes the situation starkly more terrifying: everything that comes out of him as a real, quantifiable result is pure chaos, and the only thing worse than sheer horror is unpredictable sheer horror.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

it's not the truthiness or whatever of what he's tweeting, it's that he has no fundamental concept of world politics or international relations, and though we are laughing and dismissing his tweets, foreign dignitaries and intelligence services are pinning them up on a THREATS FROM TRUMP bulletin board.

lol that people in the US think Trump is a credible person with the capacity to enact decisions in the global theater.

Problem is that stupidity is hardly a uniquely American trait, as per the tail end of your quote up there. Would be nice to just be able to discard his words entirely, but who the gently caress knows what is going on in his senile head from one moment to the next?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

He doesn't have the capacity to make informed decisions. He absolutely does have the power to make bad ones, and hit the button.

Remember that a solid 65-75% of his supporters and cabinet are just killing time waiting to go to Heaven; in the long run, they've got nothing to lose by salting the earth with fallout.

That's why I said capacity and not capability. He's got the capability for all kinds of heinous poo poo.

Old people shouldn't be relegated to advisory positions, at best. Look at what happened with Brexit.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

carry on then posted:

lmao i've been lifting amateurly for 2 years and i barely feel different and people are complaining about too much gains

:rip: me

you're lifting it wrong

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

my favorite is that now that i have the real software dev title they are justifying paying me the salary of a fresh untrained hire despite being here for 5 years and programming continuously for the last 2 by saying "the responsibilities are harder at this level and you have to prove yourself", despite making me spend the last year working on projects that showed i could handle the responsibilities of a full dev. its total bullshit. im 2 weeks away from my sabbatical and then it's time to dish resumes.

"We need you to be more available in the evenings."
"That's after work ends. If it's related to a project that demands after hours support, we can arrange things in advance so that I'm aware."
"We just need you to be more flexible, WOTBK."
"Sorry, I like being with my family."

*business promotes some idiot that is my junior above me because he has no willingness to say no to anything management wants*

Salaried positions should be criminalized.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they told you what they wanted, and you refused. so they promoted someone else. this is the expected result of refusing a management request.

they didn't fire you for not making yourself available. you just didn't get ahead. it's not like you were entitled to the promotion just because you were more senior.

sure, it's just an example of rewarding obedience over all else. in this case I'm only a little salty because the guy is a career fuckup.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

i'm well aware that climbing the corporate ladder is all about who can sell their soul the fastest, there isn't anything to convince me of.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

The Management posted:

Walmart corporate is supposedly very good to work. they're basically a big data and logistics tech company. at least that's the rumor.

a buddy of mine went to Walmart corporate 8 years ago as a project manager of some kind. he had nothing but good to say about them.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

mishaq posted:

lol if a full day at the office drains you

depends on how many uphill battles you have to fight that day.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Shaggar posted:

speed limits are arbitrarily set for monetary gain and have no relation to safety. the road was built with a specific speed in mind and drivers will naturally drive at that speed. bicycles are not capable of traveling at safe speeds with normal traffic and thus have no business on the road.

Shaggar I like you but I need to understand what makes you think cars have an inherent right to exist over a bicycle.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Shaggar posted:

cars are useful transportation and bicycles are not. the problem is that even if you were to design slow "roads" for bicycles now you're in the same range as pedestrians. since pedestrians outnumber bicycles they would get priority on any such mixed use paths. and in most cases you don't really have a lot of room for all of this so the priority would go to paths and roadways pedestrians and cars.

I think the lesson should be to peel back car usage in non-ideal circumstances, meaning any trip that is A) Not long distance, and B) not mandated via a health concern or handicap.

I don't think "gently caress bikes" is the lesson you should take from the modern city experience, if anything it should be "gently caress cars." lol at this happening in America, however.

Shaggar posted:

I think a better question is why do you think bicycles should be allowed on the roads when they clearly cannot be operated safely?

They can be operated safely, just not in a context of cars monopolizing all available space and roadway because they were there first. Your premise is that cars must be the predominant form of transport, and I disagree with that assessment.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 3, 2017

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

hifi posted:

What We Need:

An entry level Linux Sysadmin.
o A four-year degree specializing in Computer Science, MIS, Mathematics, Physics, or Engineering.

gently caress these people!!!

lol, I know what company it is. They're finance, they don't have to make sense.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why is it nonsensical for an entry level position to require a bachelor's in a relevant field

it's more that they don't have an "or equivalent experience" addendum.

that and they're asking for specific degrees (physics?!?) for a cj gig. i mean a degree in leisure studies is just as applicable really.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 13, 2017

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

years ago when I almost became a Mac Genius the big interview question they gave me (at the mall food court) was: how would you design the perfect toilet?

Apparently my answer was either too lovely or not lovely enough.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

lol at listing Prezi on your resume for anything ever

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

our information security team has been trying to poach me for 2 years now, but going over there would be like drinking bleach what with how much my current group and that one hate each other. and we have to work together constantly.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

spankmeister posted:

You can spin it as becoming the liaison, bridging the gap, creating understanding and mutual respect between your departments.

For a significant increase in salary of course

they've been trying to poach me via the luxury of a pay decrease.

Like the only perk to moving over there would be all the nothing I'd do all day. Seriously, that group does jack poo poo.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

loving crushed the interview today. I'll be really shocked if I don't get a call back.

Here's hoping.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

mishaq posted:

better to realize a gain now than maybe realize a gain later

this is true, but it still doesn't stop me from kicking myself now and again over not waiting for Sirius XM stock to soar even higher

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

putting all your savings into any given stock/thing is a different problem altogether.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

:yotj:

The figgies were even better than I'd hoped.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

drat it. I forgot how much of a hassle the new job poo poo can be.

i don't remember doing all of this background check stuff for the last gig, but it's been so long that I might just be forgetting

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

interviewed a guy today wearing an ill-fitting blazer

lol if you give a gently caress what they're wearing as long as they aren't naked or sporting some offensive slogans on their poo poo.

the place I start at in two weeks made fun of me for wearing a suit.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

akadajet posted:

no. suits suck to wear

they're an artificial confidence boost for some people and that's it. otherwise yeah, they loving suck and are a tired anachronism

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

speaking as someone that spent a stint of his life homeless, it doesn't beat anything.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Lol I wasn't offended at all, I was more laughing at the idea that being homeless somehow beats "computer touching" in any facet.

And yeah, I realize that that comment wasn't said with any degree of seriousness.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

post em

not being snarky or anything, i'll check them out when the time comes.

please filter out the ones where the three tall buildings downtown are insurance companies.

What if they're banks instead? If so, Wilmington is an option. People like to bitch about it but honestly I like living in Wilmington, Delaware, and there are a ton of tech jobs around if you don't mind wading into financial poo poo. Some non-fintech jobs too.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

I'll take some stupidly high temperature over a Florida summer any goddamned day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

today and tomorrow are my last days at old job and I'm spending them not by not doing a goddamned thing.

feels pretty good.

• Locked thread