Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Looking forward to recommending you buy Alien:Isolation every few pages, goons! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

I look forward to still not buying Alien:Isolation every few pages as well! :dukedog:

Still having that horrible taste in games I see.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

I kid - I might pick it up someday, but I am a colossal baby that could really do without jump scares. I have provided a visual of me playing Alien:Isolation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVhEJSYrk9Y

It's very light on the jumpscares, I remember... 1, 2 tops; it is unrelentingly tense though.

I need to put together a curated wishlist and budget myself, there's a bunch of stuff I want to get this time around.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Quest For Glory II posted:

shoppin around the winter sale
at the newell party hop
three dollar games all you can see
once you buy them you won't stop

massive sales from a to z
then we'll all bitch it's gone downhill
and we'll shout "where's half life 3"

you will get a sentimental feeling when you hear
"is this game worth 50 cents?"
"NO! it sucks." "i'm on the fence"

there are no flash deals today
post your steam haul and you'll be mocked
but i'll do. it. a-ny-way

Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain't right,
I'm so scared that I'll miss a flash sale,
It's got me checking the steam page all day,
Bad rats to the left of me,
Witchers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the Steam Sale with you,

Yes I am stuck in the Steam Sale with you,
And I'm wondering what it is I should do,
It's so hard to keep these games off my cart,
Even though most of them may well be crap
Deus Ex to the left of me, Dishonoured to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the Steam Sale with you.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Sale hasn't even begun yet and isthereanydeal is already dead. How am I supposed to budget like this? :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Whoa, abzu for ~5.50. If I loved Journey, will I like this?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Dishonoured 2 drops to 34.5 on GMG with the discount code. I'm seriously tempted, even though it's over 50% of my sale budget right there. unggggggggg

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I heard it has (Alien Isolation spoiler) facehuggers in it, are they handled like in the AvP games? Because that would push the jump scare counter way up.

I have no idea how AvP handled it to be honest, but in A:I they're only around in places with hatched eggs in them, so you should be on alert in those places. There's one that's hiding behind some boxes and can surprise you (they do the "jump in your loving face" thing though, that's kinda what they do). The game can make you jump or surprise you, but it's part of the gameplay; I meant it doesn't have jumpscares a la "monster through a window" or stuff like Outlast. In A:I you usually see what's going to eat your face coming.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Way to go, you guys. We murdered the store page. Like we do every year. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dali Parton posted:

Hows Alien Isolation on replayability? Is it a one and done sorta game? I've been meaning to pick it up for a few years now but im scared of it being some on rails cheesy movie ticket.

It's $12.50 for the game + DLC, which you should be getting as the base game alone is $13.59. The base game will last you about ~15 hours, no idea about the DLC.

It's not as 'on rails' as you may think. The game points you towards your next objective but you can just go gently caress around other areas of the station. It's not an open-world game, but you do have some freedom of movement.
There's a bunch of collectables that you'll only get if you explore, and since most of the Alien stuff itself isn't scripted you could get some mileage out of a replay on a harder difficulty setting depending on how much you liked it.

I think it's well worth the 12.50 even if you're only gonna play it once, but I'm a notorious apologist for the game. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Jagged Jim posted:

Oh wow, the complete edition of Alien: Isolation is actually cheaper than the base game. :psyduck:

*Breaks into room*

DID SOMEONE SAY ALIEN: ISOLATION?

Yeah, some bundle/complete editions have really weird pricing. Borderlands Pre-Sequel never got a price cut over here; it's still 60 bucks for the base game alone, so even with the 70% discount it comes to $17.99... but I can just grab the "Take Over Your Life" Bundle and get Pre-Sequel for $6.66. Even if I didn't have the other games in the bundle, it would cost me $23.28 for the whole bundle, so for an extra ~5.50 I could get 4 games instead of just pre-sequel.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

If Mad Max were a T-Shirt, it would be sized extra-medium. It's the epitome of :geno: v i d e o g a m e, which isn't to say it's bad, but it's like the default of what videogames are in the mid-teens: open-world, collectibles, rhythm punch combat.

Pretty much, yeah. I liked Mad Max well enough, and I believe that anybody would get at least $7 worth of enjoyment out of it, but it's repetitive as balls and you'll go insane if you try and 100% it. That being said, it's utterly beautiful and the car combat can be lots of fun (once you get the Thunderpoon, just play story missions until you unlock it).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

KrayG posted:

Whats the general consensus on driving/racing games on Steam? I'm hovering between Dirty Rally, Project Cars and Assetto Corsa?

I don't really go for 'sim' driving games; I'm more of a Burnout/Drift around corners kinda guy, but I got Dirt Rally on a whim a while ago and it's one of the most fun and rewarding games I've played. It's amazingly good looking, the sound design is incredible, and it's just a joy when you finally manage to throw your car around a corner just right.

I mean, look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7iwGuBuJPo

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
DMC4SE is loving amazing, all new characters are really fun to play (even if a bit unbalanced, lol Vergil), and Legendary Dark Knight mode is just ridiculous.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

How necessary are the Dishonored (1) DLCs? The base game is very affordable now but still don't like the DLC pricing.

Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches are a full campaign and are as good (if not better) than the base game.

Dunwall City Trials you can just avoid.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Could I get some input?

I've already purchased:
Metro: Last Light Redux $3.99 (I already have LL but I'm doing the LP and I wanted the DLC).
Vermintide $8.25
Witcher 3 GOTYAY $17.59

For a total of $29.83, which leaves me with 20 bucks on my budget. What should I spend them on? (I know I don't have to spend them, but it's what I budgeted for).

Here's my Steam wishlist.

I'm heavily leaning towards Ori, but I would appreciate some second opinions.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Revol posted:

Is there a reason to buy the Metro Redux games if I own the originals? They already look gorgeous, how much better looking do they get?

I'd say 2033 Redux is worth buying, it looks (and plays) waaaaaay better than the original 2033. If you have LL, LL:Redux is only worth it for the DLC, there are no gameplay changes and the engine's graphical improvements are minimal over base LL.

/fake edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV3xP8-4BRs

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Shadowrun is heavily recommended, though if you only have 0.4 hours in Dragonfall, maybe play through that first and see how well you like the style / writing?

Unpopular opinion about Broforce - it's WAY more fun in co-op, but the co-op is also terribly optimized and glitchy as hell.
Yeah, HK is in there because I remembered it existed, but I really need to play through Dragonfall.

Hopper posted:

Honestly, no need to buy anything else. Ones you start on the witcher you have 200+ hours ahead of you. By that time it is the summer sale already.
Hahaha, fair enough. If only it would finish downloading. :argh:

Modus Pwnens posted:

Where is the Witcher 3 goty $17.59?
GoG? I think I'm in another region though.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ZIGfried posted:

Built my 10 year old niece a rig I'm jealous of for Christmas this year. What are some good steam games for her? Here's my list so far.

Scribblenauts
Broken Age
Minecraft: Story Mode
Terraria
Stardew Valley

The Lego games?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

Edmond Dantes is a bro of the people and sent DOOM my way. He deserves any cheer sent his way this holiday season.

Enjoy, mate. Merry Christmas.

Diplomatic Immunity posted:

I finally went and purchased this and then went to watch the new Alien: Covenant trailer.

I'm gonna push my way through Isolation, even though I'm already scared of the Alien creeping up on me and the game hasn't even finished downloading yet.

Oh, don't worry. Sparky doesn't creep up on you, you'll always hear her coming. This way you can always try to run. :unsmigghh:

Seriously though, she makes a lot of noise when stomping around. Just remember she can hear your motion tracker, so put it the gently caress away if you know she's in the room with you.

If you want to avoid surprises, here's a very, very mild gameplay spoiler: she can set up in the ceiling vents and wait for you to walk under them, but you can spot the drool dripping from them if you're paying attention.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, I just got Shadowrun: Hong Kong and INSIDE gifted to me by Kragger99. Thanks a whole bunch, mate! Merry Christmas! :D

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This isn't always true, she can be dead goddamn silent when she wants to be. Never ever check your Motion Tracker when you're hiding inside a closet if the Alien is nearby. She can hear the beeps. Also learn to shift in the Lockers and hide at an angle if she tries looking in through the grille.

I don't recall she ever sneaking up on me, I could always hear the THUMP THUMP THUMP unless I ran into her while she was sniffing around.

I could never pull off the "lean inside lockers" thing, every time she decided to check a closet she would either just get me right away or smell a bit, start to leave and immediately run back, open the locker like a can of tuna and chew my face.

Speaking of lockers: the most important part in Surviving A:I is to always be moving. If you stay hidden in the same place too long, enemies will find you. Move between hiding spots, and remember you don't have to crouch-walk everywhere. Running is loud as gently caress, but unless there's someone in the room with you, you can get away with walking normally most of the time.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ItBreathes posted:

Games I've heard are good / bad, but curious:
new Wolfenstein(s)
Metro Redux bundle
KOTOR
Bulletstorm

These are all really solid choices. Both Metro Redux games for 6 bucks is a loving steal and will take you a good 20 hours to play both.

The New Order is a great game, you can probably skip The Old Blood unless you're starved for more TNO.

Everyone should play Captain Swearword's Big loving Adventure. Bullestorm is a rare gem of a game (there's a remake in the works but it sounds like it's going to be like 50 bucks, and Bulletstorm looks pretty enough as it is tbh).

Out of these I'd go for the Metro pack, but I'm biased. :v:

/edit: Just yesterday I was discussing Afterbirth with a few people and they told me to stay the gently caress away from it since it's garbage. They recommended getting the 'base' Rebirth and getting the free 'Antibirth' mod instead. This is all [citation needed], but the person who recommended it has a good 300+ hours on Binding/Rebirth, so I'm inclined to trust him.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 25, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Gromit posted:

If we're measuring up, as someone with over 1200 hours in Rebirth and Afterbirth I think your "casual" friend is wrong. Furthermore...

But seriously, I would get as much Isaac as possible as it's all great.
The free Antibirth mod runs under the Rebirth version of Isaac, so it certainly makes sense to not install Afterbirth straight away. They both happily coexist, but Afterbirth is really good. It does make the game a little harder, so don't be in a rush to get to it if you have all that other Isaac to complete.

The new DLC is only a few weeks away too, I think.

Fair enough, and I'm glad to have a second opinion on it. Haven't gotten around to playing Rebirth yet, so the conversation started when I mentioned I was considering the 'full pack' with Rebirth + Afterbirth.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: if you can actually see them coming, and if their attack is, y'know, actually leaping at your face instead of just bumping your knee and instantly teleporting to your face, then it's fine. If it's literally just "hmm it's been too long since the player's needed a new pair of trousers, let's drop a facehugger here" then gently caress that poo poo.

Ahahaha, gently caress that. No, save for one that's hiding behind some cardboard boxes with no eggs in sight, you can usually tell when they're around and murder them before they reach you.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's the latter. They also die really easily if you hit them mid leap.

You mean the former? They need to jump at (and make contact with) your face to kill you. They're a one-hit kill if they do though, but you can avoid them and even wrench them mid-jump if you're quick on the uptake.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Monomythian posted:

I finally bought Devil May Cry 4 and they completely ruined it by having Jump and Dodge bound to the same button. Even without that it's so awkward and slow to do anything it made me reel, it didn't feel anything like the DmC I remember.

It's been years since I played it, but I had to go and install DmC3 just to make sure I wasn't going crazy and sure enough, you flick the stick in the direction you want to dodge and push the dodge button and thats what happens. Snappy butter smooth combat even with hosed up keybinds.

Also it crashed like 3 times in the half hour I played it.

The fastest I ever requested a refund.

Dodge in DMC games has always been lock+direction+jump. The only times when you have a dedicated dodge button is when using the Trickster style.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I got a $50 steam gift card for Christmas and immediately went about thinking of how to spend it. This is what I came up with. I think I did alright. I'm currently working my way through Witcher 3 but am very excited for Alien Isolation based on the recommendations in this thread. Also I wanted to get The Witness, but saw Braid on sale and figured I could play that first and pick up The Witness on a summer sale.

Alien: Isolation and DOOM? I approve wholeheartedly.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, launched Witcher 3.

:stare: gently caress me. This game is pretty.

Hitman is also ridiculously good looking.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, Kragger99 gifted me Inside and Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

I decided to play Inside and I just finished it, and...

What.

The.

gently caress.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Krazyface posted:

So did you get inside, or what?

I most certainly did not.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mr.PayDay posted:

Install reshade.me into the game.exe directory and turn on 1-3 of the several filters like lunasharpen or adaptive sharpen and kill the milky shrouds with Levels.Fx and you will never ever play games without reshade again.
Costs about 5-10 frames but totally worth it.

I had to read this like 5 times before my brain could parse it. I'll take a look, thanks!

89 posted:

I installed the Reshade mod into Mad Max and couldn't get over how pretty it looked

Great. Now I have to reinstall Mad Max. :argh:

nachos posted:

I felt the same way about INSIDE. It's just too easy compared to Limbo and other puzzle platformers. The Swapper remains my favorite of these kinds of games.

Yeah, the puzzles are a bit (quite a bit) on the easy side, but they felt less 'cheap' than some of the stuff in Limbo. I enjoyed my playthrough quite a bit.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oh wait, reshade.me is a renamed SweetFX?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
My problem with reShade/Sweetfx is that I really don't want to tweak each setting manually, so I try using presets... and most presets look like hammered poo poo. Most times is just someone who grabbed the sliders, set saturaton and contrast to max and called it a day. I just tried one of the most downloaded ones for Mafia 3 and the sharpness filter was so cranked up it was causing haloing and jaggies all around the models.

I'm not bashing reshade/sweetfx, I just wish there were better presets out there (or that I had better luck finding them :v: ).

/edit:

NRVNQSR posted:

If there ever is it should definitely be called "ONE WEIRD TRICK Art Directors Don't Want You To Know!".

Also this, on some games it just kills the look the game is going for. Inside looks like a different game, and not in a good way.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 28, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Downs Duck posted:

Also, what's the point of giving you a gun with sparse ammo when you can't even get a guy with 7 bullets in his head to drop dead/cease to function?

The revolver one-shots humans if you go for the head, and you still get a weapon that potentially one-shots droids later on. If you really want to go to town on a droid, use the wrench, they go down in 2 'combos'.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
For all my gushing about the game, I know drat well it's not perfect. I do think you're relying too much on combat from what I've read; try using distractions (craft noisemakers if you already have them, if you don't flares make a good substitute) and if all that fails, run the gently caress away. The droids can't run, so just get up and loving sprint if you're getting swarmed by them.

You can also wrench humans, that's how I got through that hall the first time. :v:

The AI for the Alien itself is... twitchy. I've had that fucker track me across 5 rooms and smell me inside a locker, only to have her chase me around a shelf for 30 seconds like the dumbest Tom and Jerry episode ever a couple minutes later. I think she's still in dumb mode at this point in the game though; she goes into full hunter mode in Medical if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If you've never played Revengeance, check out chip's "how to play" video, it's really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7IlIUKP64o

Revengeance actually has a dodge move that a lot of people miss because you actually have to buy the god drat thing (It's called Defensive Offence). It's on the 0:40 mark in the video.

• Locked thread