Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Is it moral to give GW money if you get a gift voucher for Christmas? Asking for a friend...

GW has already been given the money. And if you don't claim a product, someone else will buy it, leading to GW getting paid twice. Also, if the store is out by the time that other person gets there, that other person might buy some wangs instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

TKIY posted:

I bought both my kids a Gundam as a modeling gateway drug.

When can I buy gundams for my 2 year old?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

I was fine up until I saw Mark Hamill's twitter :sigh:

Link? I'm not on Twitter

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

So apparently Norway Masters 40k has a 56 page FAQ. Plus the official ones (16 pages for the rule book + codexes)

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

I painted a better power armored soldier than GW's for a game better than 40k

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

What game is this from?

That is a Zuyong heavy infantry from the Asian faction Yu Jing in Infinity.

YJ also have cyber ninjas with thermo optic camo, space samurai, an AI recreation of Sun Tze, Akira bikes, a transformer robot/heavy infantry.

VVV

Unfortunately, battle heels, boob armor and bare midriffs isn't rare, but luckily it's getting better.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 2, 2017

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

how... scrutable would you say they are?

I had to look scrutable up because I'm not a native english speaker and I still don't know what you mean.

Do you mean if it's a hard to learn faction? I don't think so. It's the best Heavy Infantry faction and HI are mostly about getting into your face with a big gun. They also have cheap troops to support your awesome HI, so you don't need to field a small and fragile list if you don't want to. The Japanese faction is more glass cannon.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Well, there is also the model called DRAGON LADY, that is just an asian woman with an umbrella. Probably not a smart choice to use a racial caricature term. But thats about the extent of it that I can recall. Every so often I make an attempt at figuring out Infinity before giving up, but YJ and Nomads seemed pretty neat.

Actually, it's an HVT model (High Value Target). They are used as a mission objective for players to interact with (hack them, mark them for laser guided weapons, dominate the area around them) and are usually thought of as a representative of the O-12, a kind of interplanetary UN. If you attack them in any way you auto lose the game.

I'm not sure how that would change the meaning of the name "dragon lady", but it's not just a lady with an umbrella.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Cinnamon Bear posted:

There is also something that annoys me, and I don't think is done out of malice so much as not really being aware, but a lot of games (including my beloved Malifaux) also tend towards having an asian conglomerate. Its the "asian" faction, mixing any and all stereotypes, cultural assets, names of a vast array of different peoples and cultures, in a way that basically serves to create a homogenized, monolithic "other". Yes there are fluff reasons for these, but it doesn't change the fact its a very orientalist, western view.

I like these games, but it is a very annoying tendency.

Also the really lazy google translate naming. There's a Malifaux character whose name is literally HATRED DARKNESS

TBF, that is what the Chinese part of the faction want it to be. They, much like the modern China, want to impose their culture on the other Asian countries that have joined (or been assimilated into) Yu Jing.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Saint Drogo posted:

So 40k end times part one is here I guess, nice to see the game that actually needs/deserves the sigmo treatment getting it? :shrug: it looks like theyre doing the year long overpriced supplement bonanza again which is pretty twatty IMO.

What are the details? I refuse to read the 40k thread, but I love GW drama

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

so i went to go play warhammer with a friend of mine today (he's been out of the hobby for years and i'm trying to get him back in to a game he knows) and i watched a fistfight happen over age of sigmar in my store today

please do not play aos

Can you elaborate? I love to hear about nerd drama :allears:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Same

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Cinnamon Bear posted:

The Vostroyans were pretty cool. I wish I had picked them up at the time. I don't suppose there are any similar space cossack models out there?

I think Victoria Lamb did some

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

YouTube's Tabletop Minion almost gets it regards to GW

https://youtu.be/QGNJyFdGUqI

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

TKIY posted:

Hey guys, there is an AoS event coming up at WHW and they explicitly say that they are using an amazing new AoS exclusive GW-trademarked game mechanic...

Right from the event pack: "At this event, we will measure all distances between models using their bases as a reference point. This is commonly known as measuring “base-to-base”."

Holy poo poo

Link?

E:

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 20, 2017

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Irate Tree posted:

The sad thing too is that, their spiel has them as the scouts of the army and that they have "less bulky armour" than the others. How are they? It's the exact same armour, you just gave them larger capes and some poo poo on the front!

They left the mask of

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

A 40k thread poster posted:

Just venting I guess, felt like a waste of three hours the second we deployed.

GW.txt

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

TKIY posted:

Yeah that was me. Not a fun game.

Reading how that battle turned out (losing because all the objectives randomly ended up on your opponents side of the board) and how the other 40k posters responded (just play a completely different army next time to counter their skewed build) makes me wonder why you bother

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Usually the answer is something like "it's the only game people play" which is still a lousy excuse. No gaming is better than bad gaming.

Just buy Operation Ice Storm, paint the minis and pimp it like you have no shame like I did

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

I spent 2,5 hours today setting up terrain, playing an Infinity game and packing away the table. It was a lot of "fun". My thermo optic camouflaged heavy infantry dude jumped out and shot a robot, his giant armored robot shot my heavy infantry dudes. I won by covering the objective with a smoke grenade, run a heavy infantry dude into contact with it and used my last order to shoot a huge blast of red hot metal through the smoke to kill his guy that was contesting it.

Meanwhile the 40k players where still playing their game that they had started before I got to the club.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Sir Teabag posted:

In my local meta our Infinity tournaments usually last about 5 and a half hours including set up and tear down. Hour and a half games with some time in between to bullshit, run across the street to grab some Tim's or just chill. The last game of 40K I played took 8 hours of set up and play combined. I wanted to leave during turn one but had already sunk too much time.

Also a new purple death god, wrapped in blue swirly stuff. Hmmm, where have I seen that before? Glad to see the Dark Elves getting a new army book though.

We are a bunch of relatively new players, so we usually spend 2,5 hours on a single game. But that's more to do with paralysation by analysation than anything. Playing limited insertion helped a lot last night.

Also, isn't that "40k end times" a photoshop? It's literally a re-coloring of the elves End times book

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Is.. is GW good now?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The Citadel Wood is actually really nice, it's just expensive for what it is.

I bought three of those and built two huge rear end treemen out of them.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

gently caress pinning. I'd much rather score the surfaces or use green stuff in the joint

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

What's the deal with the Nigmo jokes?

One of the pre-AoS rumors where that the orcs were led by a ruling class of orcoid called Nigmos and that the orcs lived in sub terranean rivers in the old world. Unfortunately, the truth was even more hosed up

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Hm, seems about on par with kings of war. 🤔

How so?

This is the KoW Elves list

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

That sounds a lot like the KoW Nightstalkers faction.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

I heard this story from a tournament in the UK where one scenario was a breakthrough scenario where the attackers objective was to get a single unit or hero of the opposing players table edge. The attacker got first turn.

The balancing factor was that the attacker had to break his list in two beforehand and the opponent got to choose which half of the attackers army would be used.

One player had one list with a ton of uruk-hai and other hard hitting and expensive troops and one half with some dinky cavalry and Grima Wormtounge.

So the opponent of course chose the one with Grima in it. Only Grima has a special ability where he deploys in the enemy's deployment zone.

So of course he spent his first turn walking 1" of the board edge and win the game.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Xarbala posted:

what an rear end in a top hat

At least he'll get his rear end kicked every game because orks :suicide:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Please let that be a spell that you need to put effort into casting!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Random.org is supposedly based on radiation from space or some poo poo to make it truly random

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Also Mantic are doing a skirmish game later this year on KS, alternately referred to as Fantasy Deadzone or not-Mordheim. Combining the factions/minis (plus new hard plastic troop sprues funded with it) from Kings of War and the pedigree of Deadzone as a ruleset should make for a good skirmish game, but it won't be at retail until 2018.

Finally a place to use the old mordheim ruins!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

what hobby projects are y'all up to? I've got bit by the modelling bug but am totally indecisive about what to get so I'm just making random terrain until I figure it out but my latest, biggest project (bridge over punji pit) melted when I sprayed it cause I'm a dummie and was like "durr all packing foam is the same!".

hot dogs are the only thing i eat with ketchup

IKEA plants into jungle terrain

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

TTerrible posted:

I'm probably going to get dogpiled for doing this but it has gone on long enough.

:siren: ATTENTION DEATH THREAD POSTERS :siren:

For the past two days you have been arguing with posts blindly copy pasted from Bolter and Chainsword. Multiple people have tried to tell you this but you have willfully ignored it. Did you not wonder why the arguments were disjointed and contradictory?! What is wrong with you. Good loving god.

Who will be the first to post "hurr I was only pretending to be retarded"? Who will be first to bravely claim they knew all along? Will we have a puppetmaster?

One of the posts even mentioned b&c, and I recognized the wolfity wolf wolf post style from b&c, but a part from that it was hard to tell who c/p and who replied in earnest. I sure spent more time on SA reading all that poo poo than I should have!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

Is there a good mad Max style tabletop game? It seems like a vehicle skirmish game that encourages kitbashing would own bomes.

I didn't find one so I tried to make it myself based on x-wing, battlefleet gothic, kings of war and other bits and bobs

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

I thought someone had, how'd that go? Got a PDF?

The gorkamorka book owns owns owns! The game rules itself seemed like a product of their times though and I want some sleek modern stuff.

Sure. I'll try and remember next time I'm on my computer. I haven't actually play testes it though

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

The dude has been wrong before and I'm comfortable making a bet on GW not replacing the army that makes up more than 50% of 40k sales. Space Marines aren't Bretonnians.

I think enough people will build complete marine armies with these new models and have them count as normal marines if they can't make a complete army with the marines 2.0, that people will look at their now tiny marines and think "I wanna do that as well". GW might not say this aloud, but I bet that's their plan, to have all marine players exchange their old marine models for the new ones.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think a lot of their current uptick has to do with a strong strategy of creating good-value bundles. 8th is gonna be real interesting in terms of its impact on sales.

I think AoS increased sales because the people who left didn't buy that much to begin with and GW got a lot of new players by providing a simpler game without the need to build and paint literally 100 models. Time will tell if it's a sustainable strategy though.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

But you got yours! You have 8th ed! If you like 8th ed, keep playing 8th ed! Be excited for the rumored upcoming new AoS! AoS does not effect your ability to play 8th ed at all.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Honest question, what (tabletop) games have posters played in the past 6 months? I've played:

-6mm Black Powder
-a Victory is Vengeance campaign
-30k, at 1500, 1850, 2k, 2.5k and 3k points
-Warmachine, at 0, 25 and 75 points.

I had fun with all the games at all the point levels :)

- Infinity escalation league and pick up games
- Descent (Thanks for the recommendation Moola!)
- Kings of War

Unfortunately I don't really have time for more games with having three (soon four!) jobs and fathering a three year old with a new one coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

E: couldn't upload the WIP pic :(

Check out this WIP tram I'm going to use for terrain in Infinity. I painted it to look like the trams in my home town.

Also I went to the toy store yesterday and had to pause for a moment and consider getting a garbage truck or semi for the same use

• Locked thread