Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

TKIY posted:

Who else can I give my hard earned dollaroos to?
Corvus Belli has all your anime ninja robot needs covered with Infinity.

do this and come to the thread to discuss do not visit the official forums as they are as bad as gw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

lol if u feel any responsibility for the death thread

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

What's the gw repair kit

its u

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Infinity had Tech-Coolies which had to get changed to to Tech-Bees, that's a sexualised mini for ya. Great game though if you don't get some fan service poo poo get in the way

The issue with this one and the line it belongs to was it was supposed to be pin up style stuff and allow the sculptors the freedom to make what they wanted. It doesn't officially represent any unit that sees the tabletop but now they're releasing an actual unit model dressed exactly like that and it's extraordinarily shameful.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

not to mention that it will be impossible to even find a jury since everyone has had a friend or family member murdered by him

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Moola posted:

faaaaaaaaaaaaart

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Maybe an Sigmar summoned a million bolt-crossbow-repeater-pistols because they couldn't find one at the time, and the sigmarines are just using them because they were lying around

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Am I the only one that thinks its weird that the Primarchs are apparently like 25 feet tall? I always got that they were supposed to be ubermensch, but in the realm of actual people not like literal giants. It makes their backstory really weird, too. You have stories of primarchs like Lion El'Jonson and Janhatai Khan who were integrated into pseudo-medieval socieities and were adopted sons of rulers and stuff, and it makes sense if you imagine them like Conan-style supermen besting standing head above everyone and besting anyone in combat, but those stories are super weird if they're actually supposed to be enormous dudes. Like the background is all 'The king found the feral youth and recognized the fire of greatness in his eye', when it should really be 'the king rode into the clearing and said 'holy poo poo that baby is as big as a cow, get that fucker in a cart I want him on my side boys'.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

With with the right equipment pinning is super easy. It deffo follows the old adage of "measure twice, cut once" though.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

And then get it wrong anyway because pinning is finnicky and stupid and multipart metal minis can go back to 1980 where they belong

Avenging Dentist posted:

Pinning is easy dawg. Sorry for your lots, etc etc

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Moola posted:

I enjoy pining I find it therapeutic

same but the entire assembly process

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What type of pin vise do you recommend?

This one was recommended to me in the miniatures thread and has served me well.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

mcjomar posted:

well okay, I'll bite, "Random trade nutters blockade world because of sith shenanigans, Jedi sent to investigate" is sort of an idea with potential.
Throw in "this is how Vader was discovered and trained by Obi-wan" to 'resolve' a plot point, and maybe it's sellable. Apparently we're also explaining how he met Luke's mum, but whatever.

Pod Racing, Neeson, and McGregor are also kind of workable (I would legitimately watch a star wars movie about Qui-Gon and Obi-wan and their space detective investigations, like a buddy cop PI movie, but with glowsticks - and now that I say that, I still have no clue how nobody ever considered the idea). Oh yeah, that one big lightsaber duel at the end was kinda cool I guess.

But here's where it breaks down - Padmé is pretty much cradlerobbing, because Anakin is played as being creepy as poo poo in the second movie. Also, whiny, which is the bigger sin, for me, but let's keep going with the first movie. Anything to do with gungans and midichlorians is automatically bad by sheer definition, and should be removed wholesale from the movie. Bad racial stereotyping also (one member of the race is like this so all are like this :v:) because holy gently caress why would you even do this.
Cue die hard-ism "Sand? Who gives a poo poo about sand?"

Honestly the whole "leader escapes, goes to beg for help, gets turned down and promptly goes back and gathers allies to stage an uprising and/or guerilla warfare to reclaim planet" is a pretty reasonable trope, but ends up being played in the shittiest way because CGI, Gungans, and the inevitable cyclical plot points trying (badly) to imitate ANH (such as, big fight against big object, inexperienced kid blows it up with one well placed shot. Mentor dies in front of student, imparts some sort of message, student gets angry and starts attacking. There's plenty more, just look) which is I guess an attempt to say "all this has happened before, all this will happen again", but ends up being hamfisted.

There's good set of ideas in there, buried under a CGI mountain of bullshit and bad calls.

But that's just the first movie.
Number two?

If you strip out absolutely anything to do with Anakin, you end up with a semi-decent movie about Obi-wan Kenobi, space detective, and it's better for it.
Whiny teen drama is boring, news at 11.

Kenobi vs Fett is a pretty cool face off, and a fairly reasonable plot line. It gets screwed up because Lucas, but the basic idea is sound when you boil it back to the start. But if this had been a TV show, maybe it would have worked.
Clones? Also potentially workable, especially given the "manipulation" involved on the part of Sidious (okay, here's an aside, lovely Darth naming conventions endemic to star wars - Vader = Father, Sidious = insidious, Maul = violent attacky bastard, Dooku = wtf I don't even know. Dracula? Point is Lucas has a history of giving his Darths some lovely and obvious names. Devil's advocate maybe that's the point, as the Sith are possibly not always supposed to be subtle, even when that's what they're trying to do).
Problem? The whole thing ends up being a bit shallow as a vehicle to set up Palpatine's rise to power, but devil's advocate again, this is a movie, rather than a several month long TV show, so we only have so much time.

Then we have student following mentor into danger to rescue mentor but loving up because of inexperience (oh hello, plot point from ESB, where Luke went to rescue a bunch of people he looked up to and failed, and also lost part of a limb, force is cyclical, blah blah blah :v: ) which as tropes go is fairly standard. Honestly this section makes Padme come across as a slightly stronger character, i.e. not a damsel in distress, much like Leia who is the best shot in the original trilogy (no poo poo, go look).

But then the inevitable repeat during the Dooku duel, oh hey, look, Anakin lost a limb, wonder who else did that.
Obi-wan covers things up, and Padmé gives in to Anakin (:wtc:). This could have been a good plot point if it wasn't for supposed age differences and how Anakin is portrayed as being a ridiculous man-child (also, holy poo poo, my browser gives me naming corrections for "good" aligned star wars characters. But apparently gently caress the villains, like Dooku or Fett, they don't deserve a spell check :v:). I mean, guilty mentor covers for beloved student is a legitimate trope. But here, again, it's played like poo poo.
Y'see, a good villain has pathos, and is respectable, and likeable (in as much as one can like a villain). A bad villain is none of these things, is unrelatable, unlikeable for any reason, and earns no respect.

When you watch a good villain "fall" it is a tragedy, but still enjoyable, as you actually like the character or at least respect them and their reasons for turning to evil.
A bad villain, on the other hand, is just bad, with no redeeming features (good or bad), and hasn't got any reason worth discussing for their actions. Or to put it succinctly, good villains have internal logic for their actions that we can understand, even if we do not agree with it, while bad villains lack this internal logic, not because they are insane but because their writing is just that poo poo. A bad villain falls simply because the author decrees it is so, rather than because of the logic inherent and internal to the character.
The fall of Anakin has questionable logic (at best).

Oh hey, this terrible terrible effortpost has reached movie 3 :v:

So, first Palpatine tempts him by encouraging his rage (after the loss of his mother where he indulged his rage the first time - a scene which is actually one of the more understandable ones as it gives him human emotions, and a real reason to turn to evil (vengeance being portrayed as an evil motivation here). It's a pity that the following scene where he confesses to Padmé is such utter crap, and completely undermines the importance of this act and turns it into another whine-fest). The death of Dooku is... anticlimactic at best.

Then we have a lot of inane ridiculousness (thankfully some of which was removed on the editing room floor, or else we would now have moustache tweaking as a secret jedi language or something), ships in space adhering to the logic of ships on water/in the air (zepplins), and a very strange but actually potentially interesting "bad guy" in the form of Grievous (oh ha ha Lucas, very funny pun :smith:).

Now, the battle between Kenobi and Grievous is one with potential (man/force vs machine with biological bits (at what point is a biological creature no longer biological but mechanical?)), but we end up with something a little lacking in depth. We could be kind and play devil's advocate in regards time constraints though. But honestly, I'm sure this could have been better and more stretched out.

Finally we reach Order 66, and everything that follows. So much internal logic in regards Jedi just goes horribly wrong here. Apparently the presence of one Sith, and the (possible) fall of Anakin was enough to cloud the future for all light siders? Did they not have any ability to deflect lightning bolts from their allies, and only from their enemies because of this? Etc.

So Anakin sides with Palpatine because he needs the "knowledge" he has about life and death to save Padmé, so he betrays the Jedi order, not just a little bit, but completely (the fall, to Luke's resistance in RotJ, plot point repeat and this time inversion). So there's a little internal logic here, vision of Padmé, must save Padmé, okay this sort of works, apparently the Skywalker family are great at misunderstanding the visions they see in the force. But then he's killing kids, and other Jedi, and murdering the "hostile" federation leaders. That... doesn't quite sound right. Shouldn't he go through more internal moralising or dilemmas before murdering kids? Or is it just flip switch, is now evil, here goes the death spiral :v: ? And then the fight between him and Kenobi where he misunderstands things (this could have worked) but also does so wilfully, and doesn't think things through (this is dumb), kills the very woman he turned evil trying to save (:wtc:) and then blames Kenobi for something Anakin literally just did with his own hands.

And then we get the dumb as hell lava fight, ending with Kenobi taking Anakin's lightsaber ("Your father wanted you to have this, when you were old enough." *Death scream from lava floor* (that always cracks me up)). New internal logic gently caress up, Padmé basically dies literally of a "broken heart". What did she have an embolism of some sort because Anakin half-strangled her, but the robot was trying to be kind? No, it's just lovely writing again. I mean, what, she's got kids, but no her ~love for Anakin is too much to handle the loss~ or whatever. Poetic, but dumb as gently caress, and a seriously lovely trope to pull in the dumbest possible way, especially given that Leia can supposedly remember her. This is supposed to be an inverted remembrance of Han and Leia at the end of RotJ when DStar2 goes boom, but with Padmé giving birth to Leia and Luke as the galaxy becomes not free (as opposed to Han and Leia falling in love as the galaxy becomes free). Very crappily written.

RotS should have been a true inversion of RotJ, but it got repeatedly hosed up and became an inelegant bungled mess lacking in suitable depth. While the overall outline, and a number of plot chunks are good in theory, the practical execution is completely and utterly poo poo, and would have been better directed by almost anyone else (except Uwe Boll - although now I want that to happen, simply because it would be a comedy).

Throughout all of this, most things relating to Kenobi have been worthwhile, and anything relating to Anakin has been utter poo poo.
It's a series of movies that could have been good, and actually did have some degree of potential, but ended up being hamstrung with lovely writing, lovely directing, over-reliance on CGI, and an extremely whiny portrayal and script for Anakin. Almost every good opportunity was missed, and every good idea was repeatedly hosed up into an unrecognisable mess.

Or to cut an effort post short, Lucas repeatedly hosed up, missed every opportunity to do something good, and delivered a mismanaged, poorly directed, utterly bungled mess of a trilogy. In short, where the gently caress were the editors armed with shears to keep him in check?

heavens to spergatroid

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

those metal dwarfs are wow as gently caress

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

The target is people who want a 40K skirmish game that can compete with Infinity.

lol imagine looking at infinity and thinking "this looks good but it doesn't have that rich gw tang i so desire"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Moola posted:

this is so many loving people

ugh, I know so many Carls it sucks...

"i want to play a game but i need it to have ugly models and embarrassing lore!"

*gw fairy appears*

"'ave i got da game fuh you!"

*wisks them away to the dilapidated games workshop store but it's closed at 3pm on a saturday"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

There's a guy on the Infinity forums looking for Necromunda Escher Girls to chop up into a unit that has perfectly acceptable models. I don't know much about Necromunda but the reverence you all give it I assume this is an unforgivable sin.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/AFVofficial/status/843535555979702277

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

lol if u allow urself to be trolled in the deth thread

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

why have people been poasting poo poo from some gw fan board all night

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

panascope posted:

Moola PMs me regularly to ask about what 40k models he should buy and what list he should bring. Kind of weird but whatever :hb:

:ohdear:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

one tournament i had to use a large marker for one of my giant robots cause i accidentally left the giant robot foam layer at home. no one cared cause its a game who the gently caress cares u nerds

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Deino posted:

The manager at my old GW had a very selective policy "Is there a unit entry for coffee mugs in the Space Marine Codex? No? Take it off the table."

and yet no one critiques his my little pony army.

curious...

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Let's play a game of chess - I'm going to use bottlecaps though, since I forgot my pieces at home. Trust me when I tell you what they represent, ok? It's just a game, am I rite?

Sure, here's a sharpie to mark each piece up.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

- "A good model", Avenging Dentist

lol people always trot this one out as some killer blow against Infinity.

1. That model is old as hell and has been replaced.

2. There's actually way worse ones than that.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

all three of the witcher games are tedious drags

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

TKIY posted:

Get a spinal column, you bonedeathlerrattleblight.

gonna need you to dial this racism way back

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Isn't the issue with non humanoid armies that no one wants to play them cause most people are naturally turned off by being represented by something that doesn't look like them?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Go ahead and give GW money for those sick new skellies, we all know you were never committed to the don't-buy-gw shtick/are repressed fanboys.

I've never given GW money for anything ever and it seems unlikely I ever will.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, don't blame the tools.

that's precisely what this thread is for!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Ultiville posted:

I've got the FFG wargames in basic stock. Infinity and Malifaux don't even appear to be offered through my distributor, so I'd have to try to expand my network to carry them, and it doesn't seem like anyone around here plays.

Small wargames seem super hard to stock at a store, even at Pandemonium which is much larger than mine, we never had much success with anything but the big ones. (40k, Warmahordes, X-Wing.)

Are you in MI?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Ultiville posted:

MA, so only one letter off!

Ah, we have a large game store here in SE MI called Pandemonium.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

~defend the honor of our waifus~

mods plz ban this sick filth

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Does your bro have a colorful Stug too?

The one sad thing about world of tanks was not having a crossover with GUP. At least they had that for world of warships so you can play with colorful cruisers and destroyers and cause all sorts of rage. :getin:

why does the big one at the bottom only have one childe solider? or is she actually a 10000 year old demon who can create copies of herself to pilot it?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

Do you, like, not know how to capitalize or use apostrophes or something?

attacking the poaster over the poast: the last refuge of the totally not owned

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

panascope posted:

I can't believe Games Workshop died.

and on the way back to its home planet no less

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/f8eGwOV.gifv

Cat Face Joe