Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

I always thought having seen every Ghibli film was a requirement for being allowed to post in this thread.

It is.

Shadow Hog posted:

Definitely catch FMA if you haven't. Either one is good - I prefer Brotherhood but you'd ideally watch both since Brotherhood rushes through the content that the 2003 anime has it common with it, to the point that it basically assumes you've already watched that one.

Yeah no, rushes is putting it mildly, basically all of the emotional impact of the first series is gone because they're just sailing past key events so fast. That and the first series I felt had much better direction and pacing overall, even in the later stages. Both have stellar english dubs though.

Full Metal Alchemist is good. Go watch them both. It's at least interesting to see how wildly different interpretations of the same source material can differ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Despite the context in which it came up earlier in this thread, I really did enjoy Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

That anime was the last anime I was actually able to sit down and watch in one sitting, not necessarily because I don't have much time for anime anymore but because it's actually legitimately compelling enough that I wanted to keep watching it until it was over. Very rarely does that happen because most anime are just manga adaptations.

Renoistic posted:

The original shows, rough as they may be, at least stay fairly consistent throughout. It would be like if Ghost in The Shell had the major turn SD randomly to say something wacky - just because the manga did it doesn't mean it works in animation.

Yeah, that. Manga adaptations for the most part are pretty bland and boring, copy/pasting scenes from the comics with little intent on trying to use the new medium to streamline or retell the story, it's more just "now it's in colour and voiced" with maybe action scenes getting something resembling interesting direction and pacing. FMA:Brotherhood is like that, kinda sterile during dialogue scenes and fantastic with action scenes, while the first Full Metal Alchemist was more willing to engage with the material and use the animated medium to fuller advantage. (maybe. it's been a while since I've watched either)

I guess I just prefer animes that are written as animes first.

(course now I need to say that Mob Psycho 100 had a fantastic anime that actually does take advantage of being animated to do cool and interesting poo poo, and it's not like it's a rule or anything I just notice it a lot)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

starkebn posted:

What are people's choices for the longest running show that was great the whole time?

Malcom In The Middle

Granted I completely forget if I even saw the last two seasons, and I haven't seen it in years, but hell I can't think of a single episode I watched that I didn't enjoy.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All of Avatar is amazing, even the first season started really drat strong and only got better. There are some one off episodes that don't exactly inspire confidence but they're hardly enough to mare a fantastic series.

Korra is trash, even the third season. I kept coming back and it kept letting me down. So much wasted potential. I should probably watch the fourth season just to say I have but I honestly don't know why I'd bother since none of the first three seasons do anything for me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone was styling for the undercover run through the fire nation, I actually wish they kept that look for the rest of season 3.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

Whoa, hey. Pump your brakes, kid. Chicken Little was o-kay. :mad:

:v:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Peter Sallis, voice of Wallace from Wallace & Gromit, passed away at 96.

well gently caress

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Leave it to Pixar to make Day of the Dead feel like an orderly, bureaucratic airport lineup. "Purchase your tickets to the living world here, please leave in an orderly fashion and have a safe trip."

Comparisons to Book of Life are inevitable, and it's one point in their favour for at least having the Day of the Dead look like a genuinely fun celebration.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

This makes me sad.

The_Doctor posted:

Is that like, wilful ignorance, or something? :confused:

It's probably just people aren't really trained to engage with movies like that. Lotta people treat movies as throwaway things, entertainment, they don't really stop to think about what they're watching they just watch it and let it end and say "that was good" and move on.

Like, I've literally talked with people before who have sat through a two hour blockbuster, in theatres, and could only say "yeah it was good, I liked the part with the explosion where Captain America saves his bro" and then when I try to talk about how the movie portrays large scale government surveillance as the work of evil they have no idea what I just said, because they didn't see it, in the movie they just watched, which explicitly calls attention to it and talks about it at length.

People can watch movies, animated movies in particular, and walk away as if they'd just stared at a wall for two hours.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

Speaking of video games tangentially related to animated film, Kingdom Hearts 3 got a new trailer, and will announce another world at D23 mid-next month.

I'll just say that the Japanese voice for Hades is uncannily similar to James Woods's voice. I wonder if that was the voice Disney used for the dub of Hercules itself, or what?

I'd be more excited if 1) it hasn't been literal years since it's been announced, 2( it's still literal years before it's released, and /3 the trailer ends with the release date for another loving trailer

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Im not watching a show that has 20 minute long opening credits and 30 seconds of actual episode.

it's why I stopped watching One Piece

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
*steps up to mic*
*blows into it softly, taps twice*

Hi, I watched My Little Pony when I was in college.

It was fun, it had the same style of humour as shows from my childhood, and it made me feel less stressed after a hard week of school and work.

I remember posting in the MLP thread here in SA, which was a feel good thread with a bunch of dorks who went so far as to actually buy toy ponys in real life, the dorks, and thats about as bad as that thread got, but once the mods gassed it and a forum wide pony ban was enforced, I tried venturing out into the wild internet to find other pony fans.

gently caress. Holy gently caress.

Stopped watching the show after season two since I wasn't in college anymore and didn't see the point since Lauren Faust left, that and the fandom meant I wasn't enjoying it anymore.

That's my story, thanks.

Also apparently Cars 3 is in theatres already? Has nobody in this thread seen it?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
it's almost 4am and I can't sleep

saw this and thought of the thread

so at this point I'm pretty sure I am asleep and dreaming which is neat, I don't have livid dreams very often

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

I think youre the first person ive ever heard of who prefered Toy Story 2 as a whole to Toy Story 1.

*raises hand*

I also think Toy Story 3 is better than either of the first two.

Hedrigall posted:

- Is the message of this film that Adult Collectors of Toys (ACTs) are evil manchildren? Hmmph! :catbert:

If I remember right, the guy who stole Woody wants to sell his collection to a museum. So he's not really a collector himself, he's just using his collection as a means to profit. Or, possibly he was a collector, but once he learned he could sell his collection he saw no reason to keep it outside of completing it to raise it's value.

Neon Noodle posted:

In conclusion: I Have No Pull String and I Must Scream

You forgot the seeming immortally and unaging nature of toys conflicting with children always growing older, growing up, and growing bored with their toys.

Also toys have the urge to be played with, an urge that can be left unsatisfied when the children stop playing with them.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 13, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I can also see why people wouldn't like it as much; there's more pop culture references, the plot is a little on the messy side and has maybe one too many conveniences, "how the gently caress does a stuffed toy horse keep up with an airplane?", they reused the "Buzz doesn't know he's a toy" plotline from the first movie, stuff like that. It's not a perfect movie.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Martytoof posted:

I'm the one guy on earth who actually likes Bug's Life most, out of Pixar's lineup.

I think they have pills for that

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think Lilo & Stitch is way better than Atlantis. It's like a remake of ET with more aliens and a bigger focus on Lilo's home life. It's also one of those movies that tells two very different stories depending on how old you are; Lilo's adventures with Stitch is what all the kids will remember, but Nani's struggles to keep their home life together are a lot more relatable when you're older. At least I found it to hit harder on my last viewing than it did when I watch it as a kid.

I'd say give it a rewatch and try to pay attention to what everyone who isn't Lilo and Stitch are doing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

A little disappointed they didn't have Peach meet a Disney princess or two, though I imagine dealing with Disney and Nintendo's style guides and script doctors at the same time is something no one in their right mind wants to do.

I'm curious now how many video game characters are going to make an appearance considering the shift in focus towards the internet.

I also shudder at the thought of how many memes are going to worm their way into the movie...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Technically we've been at that point since the late PS3, but while the models are there the animation is still lacking. If anything, the increased detail of the models makes fluid, expressive animation even harder.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

- I love the duet song over the end credits :3: I can't remember ever hearing this before! But I've seen the movie like 4 times!

Could be that you watched versions that had outtakes with the end credits instead.

Hedrigall posted:

- I often overlook this one when thinking of my favourite Pixar films, but it really is up there. What a classic, fantastic comedy with tons of heart. Makes it even more of a pity that Monsters U was such a piece of poo poo prequel.

Oi oi oi why you gotta talk poo poo about MU? What did that movie ever do to you?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
wait hold up did we seriously lose one of the better posters in this thread over literally nothing?

that's hosed up

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All this Death Note talk is doing is making me think about the end of Bakuman, and the final manga they made was just so good and so perfect if only it wasn't for those meddling editors coming in and ruining everything, and they had to fight to give their perfect manga the perfect ending it deserved and everyone loved it and thought it was perfect. Considering Death Note was the series they made before Bakuman, it wasn't hard to draw parallels between the two and deduce that maybe there was some friction happening behind the scenes, which would help explain why the manga went so far off the rails about halfway through.

Maybe Platinum End will end up being better?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_ posted:

Having Weird Al do the ending theme for Captain Underpants was an inspired choice. I couldn't think of anyone more appropriate.

Having not read the books as a kid and knowing basically nothing about the character, the Weird Al song really made me want to go see it

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_ posted:

Though it will always be weird that Ralph Fiennes is in the movie yet does not reprise Voldemort.

It's probably some really silly contractual thing, like they have the rights to Voldemort as a character from the books but not Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort's likeness which is an entirely separate thing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

the old ceremony posted:

sa is frustrating because there's so much raw talent on the forums that it feels like we should be able to at least write, crowd-fund and storyboard an animated feature film off goon power alone, but trying to organise goons is like herding cockroaches so it'll never happen

SA is mostly full of adults who are, at the very least, aware of their abilities and how much they're worth. So you're not gonna get much out of them once they realize the time and effort needed to get the project completed, and that they'd be doing all that work for free. Free is not a worthwhile paycheck.

Not saying it can't be done, but you'd need the right mix of strong shared vision, good leadership, proper communication, passion in the team and commitment from all involved to see it through to the end without seeing a dime for their work. It's a hard sell, and again, people know what their time is worth.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I'm curious what kind of pitfalls they'd hit doing a Jack and the Beanstalk adaptation. I mean, it's a pretty straightforward fairy tale that's been done a fair bit already, even by Disney themselves. I guess they're finding all their ideas are things other people have already done? But I dunno why that would make them back down from doing it.

It's a pity that now we have no idea what the next original Disney movie that's not a sequel is gonna be.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mycot posted:

Someone called it the least talked about movie to make 1 billion dollars and that's about right.

Probably because the Disney merchandising machine never really revved up into high gear for that movie or really any movie since Frozen took over entire aisles of Target. For as good and well liked that Zootopia was, it never had a radio hit (though it tried really, really hard to have one)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pyrotoad posted:

That's the one made by his son that got panned, right? I've been wondering about that one, is it genuinely bad or just not a good Ghibli?

It's boring as hell and doesn't actually get the tone of the book.

Like, it's not "This is your 'ghost', which lives in this 'shell'" level of bad, but they still manage to whitewash everyone from the book while also jumbling up bits and pieces of the story to make some kinda ad-libbed version of the books. And again, it's just boring to watch, and that's taking into account that Ghibli movies are not exactly thrills-a-mintue kinda movies.

Yeah, expected. Probably worth the watch if it keeps up with Ducktales in terms of quality, or at the very least Tangled.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh yes, no one in the room liked Frozen's short film :lol:

This is probably the one thing keeping me from seeing the movie in theatres. Does a 21 minute short ever need to exist?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's funny how the solution is basically just animating fewer frames, letting them use the same techniques animators have been using since forever.

Well, 3D animation can do blending to make animation super smooth with minimal effort, so giving up one of it's inherent advantages to create more intentionally clunky animation is not a solution most people would easily arrive at. But drat can it work well.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

K. Waste posted:

I'd still show it to a kid, though. I know it's not quite the same, but I remember being pretty traumatized by the pound and rat scenes in Lady and the Tramp pretty profoundly. Oh, and Sleeping Beauty had me basically sleeping air-tight under my covers from Maleficent until I was at least thirteen.

For me it was the flashback to the lab in The Secret of Nimh. Even today I find that scene pretty intense to sit through for reasons I can't quite articulate.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

porfiria posted:

I think the problem with Inside Out is at the end of the day it's really specific to reduce the human mind to a series of discrete emotions operating in a kind of NASA control room surrounded by a denuded wasteland and I'm not sure its creators appreciated exactly what they were saying by portraying it as such.

It's Pixar, they tend to reduce fantastical ideas with complex systems into office-like bureaucracies.

See: Coco, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Wall-E.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Lemming posted:

Where Up has a bit of a disconnect between its emotional core/message and the action/adventure vehicle of the story -- which personally, I don't find to be a major problem, especially after multiple viewings -- Inside Out basically has the same issue multiplied by 10. I still like it, but more for a few good parts, rather than the whole.

I dunno, I always felt that the emotional core of Up went together really, really well with the adventure. Like, it didn't matter that he's only going on the adventure of his dreams later in life, that was kinda the whole point? His life spent together with Ellie was one adventure and now he's going on another, and possibly more in the future.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jump Up, Super Star is seriously so good, I'm gonna have it stuck in my head for the rest of the week now

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

That's the great thing about being animated, you don't have to worry about people getting physically older as time passes between films. Especially when you already have it in a retrofuturistic setting that is timeless and doesn't need to be updated.

Unless you used child actors in the first movie.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Got back from Coco. It is, indeed, fantastic. Possibly the most genuine and personal that a Pixar movie has felt since Up.

Only caught a bit of the Frozen short, read a book for most of it, it does feel far more childish than the movie and even the previous short.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

(Granted, I'm not sure what Ralph Breaks the Internet getting a bump up in the schedule has to do with this Frozen short - was it supposed to air in front of Gigantic instead of Coco?)

It's probably due to how they contract animators, ie during pre-production they'll only have a small handful of staff, usually the directors and writers (and more) hammering away at a working script, and increase those numbers as they move into full production and need more manpower. They probably had a bunch of people signed on to work for Gigantic, but when it got canned they suddenly had a couple hundred or so guys they were paying to animate nothing. Seems logical they'd have them work on other projects, but if those other projects were still in pre-production then they'd have to get their scheduling bumped up. So instead they had the animators work on a short while the production schedule for the next movie gets sorted out.

So to answer your question, if Gigantic wasn't canceled, we wouldn't have gotten this short at all, since everybody would have been working on that instead.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They do have an awful lot of parallels though, don't they?

Main character is an outcast for pursuing music over his families traditional work, gets cursed and joins the ranks of the undead, needs to seek his deceased families help to get him uncursed.

Coco stands out, though, by having original songs instead of pop song covers, actually taking quite a significant amount of time exploring the world of the dead, and not having a really dumb framing device with some museum kid's running commentary.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pigbuster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3n7hYQOl4

Animated Spider-man trailer, looks gorgeous.

Whoa, that is considerably better looking than I was expecting. I thought this was for a TV series and expected the more budget level look that brings.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

Is TTG that incredibly popular?

probably not, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's utterly demented no matter what way you slice it. It only makes sense if they've completely abandoned the platform and are just putting on the one show that creates the most ad revenue. Otherwise they'd, you know, promote other shows, air reruns, you know, use their timeslots in a smart way.

If they're airing Teen Titans Go 300 times a week then it's safe to say they've given up ever getting TV to come back as a major revenue source.