Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
:stare: what the heck happened, pick

which x-man fan did you anger to receive such a magnificent redtext

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The technical term you're looking for is 'chiasmus', which is a palindromic narrative.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

also, disney really fuckin loves boats

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

got any sevens posted:

Is there another httyd in the pipeline?

How to Train Your Dragon: Revenge Return of the Dragons

honestly it's kind of a shame httyd 2 didn't have an actual subtitle or otherwise it would literally Be Star Wars (with dragons instead of stars)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Do they set up any kind of future Lego Justice League movie?

Lego Justice League vs Step-on-Wolf, a really pointy character who fights by being stepped on in the middle of the night

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

'racism is bad, and systemic, and still happening' is a pretty risky message in modern-day america, tbh

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretty sure moe-anna is an anime version of the frozen character

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Tamatoa's flaw isn't hubris or greed or whatever, it's stagnancy and unwillingness to improve himself because he's happy with his lot. It's almost like...that's the plot of the entire film???

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I'm kinda surprised there weren't any contrarian reviews of Zootopia that used the line "Full of sound and furry, signifying nothing"

On further thought I am not surprised at all

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Moana just loving got me again, months later

The line "I have journeyed farther" from "I am Moana" is homonyous with "I have journeyed, father", when she's singing about the fact that she's gone farther than he ever dared to

I don't give a poo poo about whether it's intentional or not that's a good fuckin lyric

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the first spongebob movie is a lowkey masterpiece

it kinda reminds me of how the simpsons had a really nasty subversive edge to it for the first...seven or so seasons? and then eventually barreled into its own success and settled for being generically pretty good (and then getting bad)

spongebob did basically the same thing, and the movie is the exact cutoff point, in my mind, between it being a worthy successor for the insanity of the 90s, and becoming nickelodeon's 'please give us ad money' show

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Band Geeks was the peak, and then the movie was the victory flag on top of the mountain. and then it was all downhill from there. The second movie was weird but ok. Not great.

oh yeah band geeks was dang good too

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Brother Bear has more in common with Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron, except without all the good parts

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Megamind
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph
Zootopia
How to Train Your Dragon
Road to El Dorado
Emperor's New Groove
Prince of Egypt

Not in any particular order I guess?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Jeez I didn't realise people on the internet take not having sex so seriously

Let me guess, there's a subgrouping with its own terminology for people who can't have sex because the sole objects of their desires are fictional

:ironicat:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Just lol if you have any empathy at all for characters in any medium who don't walk digitigrade

aHEM

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

And Anime Jesus said, "Render unto 2d what is 2d, and what is 3d unto 3d..."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The trick is that there is a huge Pandora fandom - in-universe.

I remember getting one of those tie-in books talking about how lovely Earth is and isn't Pandora great!!! And the obviously-biased narrator talking about how great the pandorans are. They designed them to try and create a 'furry fandom' and failed.

It turns out furries aren't anarcho-primitivists, as you can tell by all the clothes they wear when they're not loving. They might want to be a talking dog, but they still want mobile phones and hamburgers.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I coulda sworn the mining company called it unobtainium to make the whole 'fly across the galaxy to kill blue cat people' plan more appealing to their shareholders or something

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Has there been any actual evidence of this? Like, at all?

It's pretty much the anime equivalent of Starship Troopers, in terms of 'the world is constructed such that fascist ideology is correct'. I don't know if the dude is legitimately sincere about it or if he's making a point like Verhoeven was, since I haven't watched all that much of it, but it's kinda uncomfortable.

also tengen toppa gurren lagann is still the best anime of the last ten years and will continue to be so for another four months

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

KFP3 has po's fathers agree to both be his dad and po is cool with this

KFP2's dilemma is more 'where did I come from?' more than 'i need my biological father and mother to be a functional person'

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

captain underpants...is good

i'm not sure if the Incredibly Hella Gay subtext between two ten year olds is a good idea though

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

probably not the best way of phrasing it. i guess i'm so used to media - and especially children's media - flattening out interactions between boys (and men, usually) that the melodrama of george and harold's friendship being endangered seemed particularly pronounced, and as such unexpectedly radical and 'queer' to see in a mainstream kids movie

still hella gay tho, imo

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

yes, let's make the joke racist instead of...about poop

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

are we still posting dope treasure planet fan videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA68KUb4e7Q

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Yeah I saw it on a plane because I was feeling too motion sick to rewatch Interstellar and while it wasn't crash hot it was pretty solid 'not Dreamworks' best work but way better than their dreck' quality.

I'd rate it above Madagascar (which I don't particularly like) but below Megamind (which I very much do).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

James Cameron's Avatar for Best Animated Picture :v:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Rahonavis posted:

I watched it in a fit of pointless nostalgia. It's cute and the effects really are gorgeous and darn it if I wasn't happy to see Sea Ponies return. (Speaking of, it's also ruthlessly toyetic in a way I don't think even the 80's My Little Pony movie was. Nothing says "This character is here to be made into a toy" like introducing her as super important, having her do nothing important at all, but ooh look she has two forms, kids, buy both of them!)

you can tell it's a hasbro production because even the villains are the exact sort of ugly-cute that makes for perfect toys

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i ended up checking out the mlp movie for the hell of it, and it's a pretty straightforward extension of what i remember from the show: Naive Idealists encounter Cynical Pessismist(s), the former convince the latter to be less...that, credits roll. It's nice

mostly the part which stood out was that the big Buy Our Toys musical number was going exactly according to plan when twilight breaks ranks off-screen and does the Cynical Pessismist thing instead, ruining everything, which then segues into emily blunt's character telling her how great Cynical Pessismism is. also her character is great because she's exactly the sort of Edgy Brooding Antagonist that define(s)(d) the whole brony idea, except her real name is fizzlepop berrytwist

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i mean...is it?

like, when the australian government's classification board goes out of their way to say the complaints are wrong and idiotic you know something's up because our government is a lot stricter on this sort of thing (see here: http://www.classification.gov.au/Public/Resources/Documents/2018-media-releases/25may2018--classification-of-the-film-show-dogs.pdf)

(for example, they banned an episode of peppa pig because its moral was "spiders aren't scary" and this is a bad message for a children's show in australia)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Did you read about the joke? It's dogs telling other dogs that to get ahead in the world, sometimes Master has to touch their genitals. Even if they don't understand why, you've just got to go to your happy place and close ypur eyes and ignore it, because parts of the world are inconceivable as a dog so just let them touch your genitals.

Do you not see a problem with that?

this seems like a classic case of adults thinking of the worst possible interpretation of a way a child could see something

like, a kid's actual response to this is "oh yeah like when i go to the doctor and they have to stick weird things in my ears and nose", not "being sexually molested is great"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

I mean, it's gonna be obvious Hiccup and Astrid are going to hook up at some point, so there's not even a succession issue there, if viking villages even care about that.

...they're really obviously in a relationship already in the second movie? they're not married or whatever but it's clearly an established relationship

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Pick posted:

By the way, based on the leg movement on the "alien" and etc, this is definite the LEGO Fairies and etc. lines, which are the "for girls" LEGO, so hopefully the plot will be about integrating the normal lego and the "for girls" LEGO and make it clear it's for everyone and is still meant to be mix and matched.

...given that the last movie ended with the boy's toddler sister wanting to play and we're moving forwards five years, this makes perfect sense

e: also holy poo poo lmao if the boy is five years older no wonder the lego world is a grimdark edgy teenager fantasy land except for his Original Character Do Not Steal who he keeps the same out of an ironic sense of humor

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

HTTYD3 is absolutely a sequel to the second movie, which seems to exist in a totally different frame of reference from the first. I don't think it's a worse frame of reference necessarily but they're nowhere near as similar as the surface aesthetics would have you believe.

I've always thought of the series as being very reminiscent of star wars, but without the same sort of batshit auteur flair, and this trailer certainly reinforces that. (A New Hope and Empire are weird films in very different ways and it's kind of incredible that people think of them as so closely linked.)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Macaluso posted:

It's just... araarrghgh you can't do that to BEAST. Like it should be an actual thrown in jail crime turning the Beast into that loving... THING in the live action version

if we threw people in jail for making bad art there would be no artists - abraham lincoln, probably

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The smallfoot is coming from inside the thread

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

it's good

my only real point of criticism is that the soundtrack, apart from the Two Contractually Obligated Good Songs, is pretty uninspired, but Let it Lie and Wonderful World(?) are VERY good

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 11, 2018

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

also i found this extremely interesting take on the lorax that i wanted to share with you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC_8vkD1-H8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

New soundbite for smallfoot: it's an intellectual film that correctly identifies that being intellectual has nothing to do with being smart and everything to do with mindset