Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I understand the appeal of constructing low-incoming housing but I feel the need to emphasize that there must be great precautionary measures taken to ensure that communities aren't simply ghettoizing those put out by climbing costs of living. I haven't seen any conclusive studies done on the pros/cons of subsidized housing programs vs. "new" construction (e.g. developing in previously vacant areas as opposed to demo and rebuild) but I get very nervous when hearing about proposals that would relocate the working poor to remote areas of a city.

lovely aspects of Portland's housing crisis seem to stem from a lack of infrastructure that supports sustainable development. When you've got premiere apartments/condos being built with little or no attention paid to traffic, parking congestion, or impact on communities I can't begin to imagine what the planning process/execution would look like for projects with a fraction of the budget. Add this to the fact that it seems Portland's municipal government are welcoming deep pocket out-of-state developers with open arms to swoop up on any available property and I find it increasingly hard to believe there will be any progress anywhere near the city center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Senor P. posted:

Glass, to my knowledge, is not chemically nasty. (Although you could conceivably use etchants/acids for cleaning it afterwards as well as other chemicals for adding colors...)

welcome to the beautiful PNW

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Thaddius the Large posted:

This sounds like near my office, by all the hundreds of new units being put up around Vancouver and Williams streets, between Shaver and Alberta, and I'm morbidly curious to see what it'll look like in a few years, once they've put the finishing touches on the new buildings while having done absolutely nothing to improve traffic management. Between a couple of single lane streets, the 405 ramps, and a few hundred new cars and bicycles per hour, it's going to be a spectacular shitshow.

here's a sneak peek of what to expect: division times five

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
"develop interstate, a main thoroughfare with existing MAX access, decent bus transit coverage, and plenty of vacant lots and abandoned buildings that nobody will miss? maybe in a few years"

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Senor P. posted:

Why should citizens of any outside nation be able to own land and displace the local populace?

because that's literally the history of America

I'm not saying this as justification. There's a very big gap between "let's impose a domestic pseudo-tariff on foreign interests profiting off American livelihood" and "you shouldn't be able to own property if you aren't a citizen."

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 4, 2017

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I understand where that sentiment comes from but it's very difficult for me to reconcile that not only are people being hosed by fast and loose development but that property/real estate is being hoovered up as veritable offshore holding accounts with little intention of occupancy, management, or operation. There would likely be widespread support throughout the political spectrum to increase property tax on foreign-owned assets and it'd be a step in the right direction with regard to focusing tax liability on those who (theoretically) could afford it. If Seattle could lower or eliminate mandatory flat taxes on its citizens by replacing them with more progressive (in the tax sense, not political sense) tax measures it could be helpful in offsetting the rising cost of life.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
to be completely honest I've grown so accustomed to the no sales tax in Oregon that I frequently forget how punishing it can be in other states.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

anthonypants posted:

landlords ignore those rules and do whatever they want, and the city eventually lets them.

also let's not forget the fact that in a very large percentage of cases tenants are unwilling to report violations for fear of unlawful evictions/rent increase/retribution from landlords

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

therobit posted:

I think the government should invest in flooding the market with publc housing and make that housing not-lovely and interspersed with units sold to middle income families. Increase supply of affordable units near the core so much that rents decrease.

did you hear someone mention this idea at your local DSA meeting or something

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

George posted:

This is a huge no-brainer.

As an avid cyclist I will openly say that increased funding in bike infrastructure does very little to actually impact traffic congestion and is money better spent elsewhere. Funds for mass transit only work when the city actually wants to invest in a practical, sustainable, and expandable system. Investments like this make more sense when residents are likely to utilize public transit. If they continue to build $750,000 apartments in NoPo it's a pretty safe bet the new owners/tenants are unlikely to be spotted on a public bus or... ***GASP*** THE CRIME TRAIN. Force developers to incorporate logical parking solutions that meet a pre-determined criteria into their designs or refuse permits- funneling money into a blue sky public transit system will never provide enough financial (or political) support to effectively make an impact.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I'm glad that you guys have managed to collaborate and jointly recognize what is a universal truth; that everyone is racist.

you already triggered me with this in the Oregoons thread tony.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

ElCondemn posted:

As a home owner I can say with certainty that anyone paying rent can afford a home, my mortgage is less than an equivalent rental would be. Even a one bedroom apartment would be affordable to most people who rent an equivalent space. The only thing stopping people is consistent financial history and several thousands of dollars of down payment.

ahahahahaha oh my lord

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
sorry for not continuing the Bike Chat but by the time I sat down to read the thread everyone had moved on. Besides, it seemed like I was debating points against a tech goon basing a lot of ideas off very personal/anecdotal experience. That's been completely blown out of the water by my man Condemn, tho

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Reene posted:

I mean he's not wrong if rent payments vs mortgage payments are literally the only thing you are looking at!

did you know: car payments are often LOWER than lease payments?? AND you get to KEEP the car! wowowowowowow someone get jim cramer over here ASAP we're cracking the code of investment

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

ElCondemn posted:

I'm saying if we remove the "down payment" part of home ownership I think a lot of people could afford a home.

and if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle

or still my aunt

gender is not binary

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I really don't know why I'm still surprised at goons being hilariously myopic in their worldview.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Reene posted:

Let's say I do find a place that has a mortgage roughly the same as the rent I'm paying. Cool.

sorry, that implies that you've already managed to save literally tens of thousands of dollars in liquid funds for a downpayment, something that, for the purposes of Condemn's viewpoint, is so insignificant that it doesn't warrant a second thought

ElCondemn posted:

Care to expand on that? I'm a dumb goon who doesn't know poo poo, maybe you could teach me something?

running a marathon is really easy if you start at mile 25

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

ElCondemn posted:

Are you even reading my posts? What are you responding to?

ElCondemn posted:

The only reason you can't have that right now is because you can't save 20,000.

Peachfart posted:

When you reach a certain level of income, it becomes harder and harder to grasp how lower income people value each dollar differently.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

ElCondemn posted:

When will you loving understand, I'm not saying "save up 20k, it's so easy". I'm saying "get rid of the 20k restriction".

As soon as you provide some sort of real-world scenario in which this would ever happen? You can blue-sky a revolution of the financing industry all you'd like but without any realistic proposal it just boils back down to 'home ownership is easy if you just simply remove the difficult parts.'

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
lovely restaurant owners? In my Portland?

It's more likely than you think.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
they're def. gonna have propane at that event

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

El Jebus posted:

And if they do have charcoal, you can tell he is a two bottles of lighter fluid kind of guy.

"lighter fluid? don't need it, we got match-lite!!"

:rolleyes:

anthonypants posted:

With the air quality and with how dry it is it just seemed like a bad idea to make that a sponsored tweet.

point to a sponsored tweet that is a good idea

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Thanatosian posted:

LA is superior to Seattle in every way. No reason to ever move to Seattle.

I've never been to Louisiana but you sure make it sound great

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
great, now I'm going to be waiting for a moment to use the term 'bikini batista'

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

f#a# posted:

I've been tempted to move a bit south due to being priced out of Seattle, seems like you guys are good people.

great, now we have california AND seattle's runoff.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
if you think oregon is cheap let me tell you about a little place called salt lake city

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That Jones confrontation clip is so phony I'm surprised Vince McMahon isn't calling commentary from a desk across the street.

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/898672162591997953

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
you guys have no idea what you're talking about w/r/t service industry positions and you should thank god for that

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

i came this close (-----) to diving into my "regressive taxes are never the solution"/"stop putting bandaids on climate change issues" responses before coming to my senses

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
besides, this is the better option

https://twitter.com/portlandmercury/status/905202414680104960

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Javid posted:

Ah yes, a well-reasoned BAD THING HAPPEN, BAN RELATED THING argument, despite the vast majority of fire-causing fireworks being already illegal.

I also love how nobody seemed too interested in the firepocalypse happening on the west coast until one started near Portland. Southern OR has been completely smoked in for a few weeks now.

massive forest fires near densely populated areas is a California problem, hth

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i do get where this is coming from but at the same time i honestly wonder if the mentality that leads people to shriek about momentary distractions for "lizard brains" would also tut-tut about how we shouldn't encourage kids to play with squirt guns because it's wasteful of water

when those squirt guns burn down one of oregon's natural attractions then maybe people will get upset about them

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

https://twitter.com/pdx_resistance/status/907662804416524288

https://twitter.com/pdx_resistance/status/908035517022740480

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
that reminds me, was the internet successful in making opb reconsider giving joey gibson airtime or did that just slip through the cracks

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

that reminds me, was the internet successful in making opb reconsider giving joey gibson airtime or did that just slip through the cracks

lmao never mind

i find it hard to believe that dave ain't subbing the poo poo out of him w/ the opening of 'joey gibson joins me now, he is a former high school quarterback from camas, a former homeless man, and a former house flipper who now lives in vancouver with a wife and two kids'

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

coyo7e posted:

Patriot Prayer followed me on Twitter the other day. It legit made my heart skip a beat.

@patriot_prayer is not JG and isn't affiliated w/ him in anyway way (from my understanding)

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's not progressive to give up because politics is hard and you're tired so you're looking for an easy way out.

no, you don't understand, when the disenfranchisement watermark hits white males that means it's finally time to burn everything to the ground because.............. uh i've been uncomfortable for the last six months??? I don't know.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
p.s.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Thanatosian posted:

And if I were only concerned with the disenfranchisement of white dudes, I'd be cheering on the current administration. They're hyper-enfranchising white dudes, at the expense of just about everyone else.

interesting that the influx of calls for secession are happening now despite this being the unofficial playbook for the US since its inception 🤔

I'll make an attempt at putting what I (and others) have been insinuating in much more clear terms for you; every single item in your list of frustrations has been happening consistently for decades, if not longer. The fact that it is seemingly no longer acceptable for left-leaning people to ignore the plights of the disenfranchised means that there should be a significant push to affect changes to rectify the system. Advocating for secession is the political equivalent of taking your ball and going home and we've been pointing and laughing at the dipshits in Texas who have been doing the same thing, I don't understand why this situation is notably different. If you think for more than a second that the creation of some PNW nation would in any way solve any of the terrible issues going on nation-wide I will again point you to the vote maps I posted and ask what The United States of Cascadia looks like once you get more than 20 miles outside of Seattle and/or Portland.

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Thanatosian posted:

But I don't think we get their without some sort of game-changer, and the threat of secession seems like not the worst idea.

interesting, I believe this is similar to the train of thinking that currently has the President in a political stalemate with North Korea.

Thanatosian posted:

And I don't really see what point you're trying to make with your maps, other than the few people who live outside of the cities are red, I guess?

The point I'm trying to make is that the core of the PNW region (plus the states in this thread's poll) are far from being completely out of line with the current administration's goals and values.

Thanatosian posted:

But hey, if you've got better ideas, other than "poo poo sucked before now, so if we try to change it now, it's somehow hypocritical," I'm certainly open to them.

my "idea" is that I recommend taking radical and entirely unrealistic nuclear options out of your repertoire of political advocacy if you ever want to be taken seriously. I ask that you consider my plea, thank you for your time.