Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Never change, local politics.

If you've never watched a council meeting in a small city, do so. It's EXACTLY that insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My only interaction with the portland police was them having a MAX train held at the station for the half a loving hour it took them to actually get there because a dude had a knife. Not like, was brandishing, literally a sheathed knife on his belt, standing on the train staring at the wall like everyone else on board. Nothing about that whole experience wasn't absurd.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

"Flag-like weapons" sounds rather orwellian to begin with.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Homelessness is a societal issue that can't be nimbyed away by banning the symptoms, AND mentally ill smelly people have a negative impact on the people around them. These positions are not mutually exclusive.

My city held an :siren: EMERGENCY CITY COUNCIL MEETING :siren: to ban handing anything out a car window to a pedestrian on any roadway, because the occasional hobo or panhandler begging for change by the off-ramp was a HUGE GODDAMNED DEAL apparently. Pissed me off, I liked giving those guys my bags of returnable cans that aren't worth my time to recycle. :|

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There are deductions and adjustments for loving everything, why not that?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm going to guess that 99.999% of people paid for labor on an hourly basis aren't the kind of rich people we need to be taxing more.

Ardlen posted:

It sounds like these places should hire more staff, instead of overworking their employees.

As if every company literally ever doesn't hire the bare minimum amount of staff to not go down in flames.

I would love for minimum staffing laws to be a thing, really.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

twodot posted:

You're choosing to work in that industry. If your industry isn't adequately paying you for your time, either negotiate better pay or shut up.

Ah yes, because people working hourly can simply walk out of a job that isn't treating them fairly.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Watching people who agree on almost everything call each other Nazis over relatively minor differences in how they want to achieve the same goals is pretty much how this thread rolls now, I guess.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The city granting permits for an assembly or not is an ACLU thing.

Private citizens affiliated with a group harassing another group is not an ACLU thing.

They've represented NAMBLA, it's not like them defending a group's speech rights is an endorsement.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

How dare you impugn the divine right to drive 20 over in the left lane without ever having to slow down for someone driving a mere 10 over.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

"But it's THE LAW!!!"

*commits reckless driving and illegally undertakes on the right in a fit of rage*

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

500 employees still includes a LOT of companies, unless franchisee locations don't count or something stupid.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Eggnogium posted:

I can imagine there are good reasons to exempt various emergency services like nurses or EMTs. But you could achieve that with a blacklist rather than a whitelist.

Or we could not exempt them and let nurses and EMTs actually work a normal human schedule rather than the 12/24 hour bullshit they're currently subjected to.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Working 60 hours a week for $10 an hour and then getting it cut to 40 a week for $15/hr is objectively less money but also much less exhausting. Personal decision if it's an improvement or not but for a lot of people it probably is.

A lot of people probably don't WANT to work 60 hours a week but their three 20 hour a week jobs demand every second of it from them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Are they even allowed to do that? If someone cares enough to rat them out to corporate they might get stomped on.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Just a guess. Some companies are strict about that and I don't actually care enough about Mcd's to know if they're one.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Vacancy tax so steep that it's literally cheaper to let someone move in rent free than maintain an empty unit. This includes people who own multiple houses. Proceeds go towards low income rent subsidies.

Seizure of bank-owned housing that's unoccupied for longer than [to be determined number of months]. Housing is meant to be lived in, period, not held empty. Seized houses are either auctioned with strict limits on who can bid (families of the appropriate size to occupy said house who either do not own a house, or are trying to leave a shittier house) or bulldozed to put up denser housing.

Caps on deposit requirements to move in. The average person for whom this is a problem probably doesn't have 5 grand in the bank just to be monopolized in security deposits, nor should they have to. Fixing poo poo a tenant breaks is just a cost of doing business.

R E N T C O N T R O L

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

I get this idea too but there are plenty of reasons why you can't rent out a house that have nothing to do with sitting on it until it appreciates. Sometimes you're waiting on funding to do a remodel or teardown. Sometimes you're waiting until other purchases come through to start development across multiple lots. Sometimes you have work or family issues that take you away from your home for extended amounts of time. I don't think if you're paying for your house and keeping up with the taxes that the government should be allowed to take your home for any reason. It seems like it could be used in nefarious ways. Also how do you prove a house is unoccupied anyway?

You missed the "bank-owned" part of that idea. I'm talking seizing foreclosed vacant houses, not homes owned by humans. (they just pay the vacancy tax if it's they own >1 house)

Housing exists to house humans. Any housing not being used for that purpose is part of the problem and needs to be addressed. If rich people want to own six houses then they can pay 5x the vacancy tax into subsidized rent for low income renters and development of nonprofit housing, so that vacant housing is still being productive.

Banks have no excuses. 90 days to sell it for whatever you can get or it's confiscated and turned into a nonprofit rental. gently caress them.

Javid fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 6, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm driving up the coast Sunday. Here's hoping it's not too hosed.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

coyo7e posted:

I hope you're trolling, because you already hosed up badly. Hwy 101 is about the slowest and worst road in the country, at the best of times. During heavy tourist season AND during a once in a generation tourist glut, you'll be lucky to make 10 or 20 miles in an hour.

I have friends out at 10 Mile Lake near Florence right now, and they're already worrying about how they'll get ice in 2 days.

After all the news dramatics about the building traffic disaster, the 101 from Reedsport to Lincoln City was empty enough to go bowling on. Other than a higher than normal amount of slow rear end drivers rocking Washington plates, it was smooth sailing the whole way.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If they're replacing them with non-lovely straws made from other materials: cool

If they're just getting places to stop having straws: gently caress them

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Ah yes, a well-reasoned BAD THING HAPPEN, BAN RELATED THING argument, despite the vast majority of fire-causing fireworks being already illegal.

I also love how nobody seemed too interested in the firepocalypse happening on the west coast until one started near Portland. Southern OR has been completely smoked in for a few weeks now.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So it's already illegal to possess them, and illegal to light them, and probably also illegal to light them in the woods, specifically (I assume both BLM and USFS have regs about it)

But truly, that fourth law they'd have to break would really be the last straw that keeps stupid hicks from lighting poo poo on fire.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Maybe quote the post instead of a mystery link with no context

pathetic little tramp posted:

Alright, a little background, as the title mentions, I live in a suburb in Washington. What really started this issue in earnest for me was about a week and a half ago when someone who lives a few blocks from me in my neighborhood decided to have a large Nazi flag painted on the entirety garage door, the black, white, and red kind. I know it sounds really quite absurd, and it is, and I'd be willing to provide pictures. It's very clear what it is supposed to be, even though it seems to be professionally done, obviously it is still very offensive, and sticks out every time I drive past it on my way home from work.

This is not the first time I've noticed people putting up, "Decorations" that I was lead to understand the HOA would obviously not allow. Neo Nazis have been trickling into the Pacific Northwest, including Washington for years now. Mainly they've stuck to the rural areas and steered clear of everywhere else, but now they've been trickling into my area as well. I know of a few other instances of decorations, and I know of other Nazi fucks in the area.

I have reviewed the CC&R and as I suspected, something like this would have to be approved, otherwise it would be unauthorized and would provoke recurring fines and such. I was skeptical that Mr. Hitler and his buddies bothered to get it approved. I tried to go through the normal channels, but it ended up that I had to not only call the office of the HOA, but also request a meeting with their board of directors. I made it clear that I wanted an explanation on the mural, and other things I saw. I made sure to document it with dates, pictures, citations, etc.

Long story short, it turns out they actually did get their, "Treatments" approved by the Homeowner's Assoc. and therefore it is technically compliant with covenants. What followed was a somewhat passive aggressive rest of the meeting towards me, insisting that I let the matter go and that they were nice enough to take time off their day and so on and so forth. Obviously I won't get any help from them.
What other options do I have? Obviously this is the kind of situation HOAs are meant to remedy, and if they're not doing their job, that means property values are only going to plummet, and this whole place is going to look like Wolfenstein: The New Order soon. I'm open to any suggestions or information you can give me.

Tl;dr HOAs are in fact Nazis, who'da thunk it

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The final solution to wild turkeys is a $100 shotgun and a deep fryer.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Pellets in your food is a valid concern but lead is entirely fine to use on non-water birds.

I mean I'd rather just shoot them with a 22 and only have to locate and remove one chunk of lead instead of a billion tiny ones but some regulation-writer decided that made too much sense.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Not-lead is also $gently caress and worse in every practical way as far as actually using it. But hey, shoot what you want.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It'd be nice if the article actually said what the gently caress greyball is so we have some context for our outrage.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's not gonna HAPPEN but if it ever hit the ballot and succeeded the resulting events would be, at best, a shitshow.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I mean it sounds like the weak link here is that we let private individuals and companies own rental properties.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If they were actually using power tools, not giving them earpro would've been a gigantic dick move. Grinders are fuckin loud.

If they weren't though then wtf.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's huge in rural Oregon as well, but the impression is that most of the tax money isn't coming back to us where​ it's grown so a lot of people aren't thrilled.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Peachfart posted:

What exactly could Democrats do to revitalize small towns? Most of those towns were founded to exploit natural resources that are no longer there. They will die, and accepting that is more sensible than pretending magical *real* leftists would save the small towns somehow.

Give them a new industry or replace the income. "those poors should just abandon their homes and join their betters in the city" isn't a solution.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Counterpoint: "your jobs are gone and never coming back" appeals to nobody. And there is nothing that will change this, regardless of politics.

Let's say you're 100% right. Nobody affected is buying. Your policy platform is "sucks to be you, bruh" and not a solution.

"Just casually uproot your entire family and move with the money you aren't earning, and train into a new career at 40/50/60 with more of that money, and MAYBE you'll get a new job until that industry shits itself too"

E: also I find cause to wonder if the people who seem to think rural Oregon is "logged out" ever actually visit the woods there. There's like tiny rear end specks of clearcut dotting roughly a fuckbillion cubic light years of solid trees out here. Whatever the reason for the decline in logging, it isn't "we ran out of trees"

E E: a real solution would be like, to actually pay for the above stuff. Not some means-tested reimbursement six months down the line. Straight up pay people's expenses to transition to a new, gainful industry.

Javid fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 26, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

We do have the smoothest interstate road surfaces. A lot of other states just don't give a gently caress and their highways look a munitions testing range. Doesn't mean we're not deficient in other ways.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Wait, $5 footlongs still existed? Those went away here (except for the occasional promotional deal) a few years ago.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Hah, that's my county.

The dude is legally old enough to buy, and Oregon explicitly lists age as a protected class in its discrimination laws. Who could've imagined inventing your own age limits for things with a legislated minimum might be a poor idea? :iiam:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

twodot posted:

Usually discrimination laws have exemptions on age so things like "movie theatres" can continue to exist. Did Oregon forget to do that?

Nah. "Under 18" is an exception to the law. I'm guessing the state laws wrt alcohol also carve out exceptions, though I haven't looked. There's no exception for "we're not selling this 20 year old something he can legally buy at 18 because we really don't wanna"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I didn't get my usual rosemary fries this latest Portland trip for that reason, but they're happening when I'm back in a couple weeks whether they sort their poo poo out by then or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Dogs just want to help :(