Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

wicka posted:

I think one of the FCA brands or Mercedes are most likely.

Maybe in a fantasy land where FCA actually has cash on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
COTA is good because it's going to be the last ever new full service road course to open in the US.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It's really hard to understate how special Ford was as a company. It was truly the first global company. Before the war the majority of private cars in Germany and Japan were Fords, they had large scale factories in both countries. They got supremely hosed over by WWII taking away their factories and it's really no coincidence that Germany and Japan emerged as strong passenger vehicle manufacturers. Americans think of Ford as a domestic make but Ford = car worldwide for a long time.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Fuzzys schedules are like that voice-over in the Twisted Metal 2 intro. Even.... Antarctica.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I used to watch sub-par programming 'because it was on', but now there is so much stuff to do; presenting itself through social networks or feeds or whatever I can't remember the last time I just veg'd out like that.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

njsykora posted:

1 oval isn't gonna cut it if you listen to some fans.

(actually don't think shooting hoops is an oval, been a while)

You could throw in the PantsRing, but being perfectly round I'm not sure if that counts as an oval.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cygni posted:

also important to remember that for most of the teams, those dudes you see on pit lane are the same dudes repairing the car in the paddock, and the same dudes in the shop getting the car ready for the next race. assembling bodies, preparing tubs, doing shock packages, rebuilding gearboxes, everything. even the truck drivers are often the 'jack of all trades', setting up the pit box, fetching tires, etc. everybodies got 6 jobs, which means those back-to-backs mean fly out thurs morning, 12 hour days at the track, pray you mechanical out early so you can catch a sunday night flight home, get 1 day off if youre lucky, then back at the shop as soon as the truck shows up for 16 hour days tues+wed to turn the car around, then back out to the next race thurs morning.

this aint F1 or the bigger NASCAR teams with separate dedicated pit road and shop crews. those 14 guys in the bourdais victory lane celebration pics? thats it. from intern staff to shared engineering crew between the two cars, 14 guys. and thats LUXURY for coyne. hes run cars with 9 dudes total before...

Sounds like any prod engineering job ever, tbh.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The golden time to get a 3rd OEM was like a year and a half ago, too bad they were too busy with aero kits then. Right now the market has a pretty negative outlook.

I don't think Lambo is going to go, why would they care about racing against Chevy & Honda? Toyota is mashing money into facilities and restructuring now, plus this seems like it'd have to be a rebadge for time sake which isn't their style. I think it would work for Alfa but who knows the political dynamic between them and FCA-US. Also the negative market is really bad for them.

I don't really understand the necessity of a 3rd OEM is honestly, series is pretty good as is and IndyCar seems sensitive to parity arguments anyway.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Was drinking beer today with mugs and some guy who doesn't even have racing on his radar brought up Alonso coming to the 500.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cygni posted:

Uncle probably knows better than me (i think he works in this world), but it sure seems like Hybrids are dying unless your name is Toyota or youre making a hyper car. Pretty much every new non-truck I see these days is an I4 turbo or V6 turbo. 2017 Lexus NX, Merc GLC, Lincoln Continental, Volvo S90, etc. Unless you are reusing an older engine, really seems like everything new is I4 or V6 with a snail.

Even the low end is getting them these days. 2 of the 3 Civic engines are turbos, 2 of the 3 Elantra engines. In both of those cases, thats the lowest end and highest end engine, too. Non-toyota hybrids seem to mostly be low volume greenwashing attempts to me, especially now that oil prices are low and probably staying low. Im no expert though.

If you were gonna make a racecar engine spec from scratch today with an eye towards manufacturer involvement, V6 and/or I4 turbo is the way to go.

I do think the current IndyCar engine, while really good, is missing something though. Obviously could use 100 or so hp on the road courses, but maybe more revs? More noise?

Pretty much local regulations drive what OEMs offer in that region, EV, hybrid, turbo, diesel whatever. Every company has development programs for each powertrain but due to patents and profits in reality it becomes a messy tech share orgy. Motorsports are a showcase and marketing effort primarily so the world racing series like F1 and WEC have to appeal to wide range of markets. Hybrid is perfect for that. Hybrid powertrains aren't some clearly separate and unique thing from other powertrains, but are basically a EV coupled to an ICE with a motor generator in between. So, with a single effort you can cover all markets.

I think overall hybrids are in ok shape, they've really moved from specialized chassis to higher trim levels in most fleets and you probably don't even notice them driving around anymore. They actually help the most in SUVs, and while gas prices now don't help I'm sure they'll come back. If standard high throughput charging becomes better then EVs will probably supplant them. For small, affordable cars it is hard to see batteries coming in for a while - for these cars sometimes absolute profit margins become smaller than smartphones. Which is ridiculous when you compare supply chains. So reducing displacement with turbos makes sense in that class as long as the turbo is robust.

Honestly a lot of the passenger car secret sauce resides in ECUs and instrumentation which is controlled strictly in every racing series. I wish there was a series which took out aero and let them try to get traction back through electronic controls. I think these days aero development costs more than these electronic solutions - its not 1994 anymore and everyone KNOWS how to do it. Then you also get back custom engine control and monitoring...

If they can make the engine do more, and expose it a little so you could see that poo poo on TV, that'd be good.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

harperdc posted:

All of this is excellent but wanted to add - to wicka's question about batteries, they can be recycled within their lifespan (you know Tesla's power wall? Daimler/Mercedes is working on the same, both for home and commercial use) and the tech continues to be developed to, hopefully, do more and be much cleaner in the supply chain.

Also, an open series focusing on battery tech and motors instead of aero would be awesome to watch. Cars need more power than the grip can handle.

You probably know but companies in Japan already sell battery bank, panels, and car as a package. But I think the issue is that cars give such economic potential to their owners so you're going to get more money selling a run down ev versus repurposing the pack to some storage bank.

I think team battery development is very difficult because batteries store energy and are dangerous done improperly. I'd like to see small tracks downtown running evs but again for a low cost series it's difficult. You wad up an ev, immediately the battery pack is forever suspect and it costs more than the rest of the car.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I remember the Andrettis chasing each other and no pit limit because the cars would bounce around like crazy.
I kinda miss the days without the grass in the turns.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Man if Pippa beats Sarah's qual record I'm gonna be sad cause Fischer is a billion times cooler than Pippa.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Wow Bourdais' steering wheel.

Not the steering wheel, wtf is that thing? It keeps bouncing off his head then hangs out of the car at the end.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Its the thing against the wall in the pic attached with a cord, and the cord comes out of the cockpit.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FuzzySkinner posted:

I kept seeing those comments on various YT videos of Alonso's run.

Like..I think the worst I've seen from worst thread was "These guys are f1 rejects, and the driving on an oval is crazy". The YT video comments are so bizarre:

"This is boring"
"These cars are so slow"
"This is like he's racing GP2"

Any time spent worrying about YT comments is a waste of human time spent in this universe and all sentient beings in the galaxy are stupider for it, including this post.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
So Bourdais is out of the race. But what if they asked YOU to take his place?
Try to do so with Indianapolis 500: The Simulation

Will Ed lead off into turn 1? I have no idea but it's called a simulation so...

I modded the old game with the grid and performance of this year's cars. Hondas will be faster in the straights and slower in the corners.

I took off 4mph from the qual speed because I can't boost player car performance and while ~232-231 is possible in qualifying its really unfun to achieve. If everything is too easy I can return the numbers.

Get dosbox and extract the files from the zip and use runme.bat (otherwise you'll get PC speaker sound which is terrible) within Dosbox.
If you're not familiar with DOS the commands will be
Z:\> mount c c:\directoryUnzippedTo
Z:\> c:\
C:\> runme

Filez:
http://dropcanvas.com/4hgm8

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
What the gently caress Daly
https://puppiesmakemehappy.com/collections/mens-best-sellers/products/puppercut-mens-tee

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Really good but a little disappointed with no bumper on the speedway car.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Latest forecast is 50% all day until 7pm, usually means scattered tstorms.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
My fear its going to be 5 laps green, 15 laps yellow, 45 min red, ad infinium until we lurch across the halfway point and the race is called.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I had a trip but finally watched the race and it was a good one. Would watch again (please change the booth crew)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Motorsport is always going to have people who missed rides they deserved and people who got rides undeserved.

The money spent per hour of practice is absolutely insane among sports, and that's always going to cause poo poo to be weird.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

That was some pro marshalling there though, that one dude put out a giant fire with a portable extinguisher.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Boy howdy I love that all of the garbage tweets and youtube comments and trackforum posts I specifically avoid get reposted here like its some sort of link aggregator of garbage.

Also yeah Belle Isle gets a lot of visitors in the summer, its quite nice. I mean, I've gone in March and they've already setup the jersey barriers and fencing for the race which is pretty uggo, so I can understand some of the gnashing of teeth.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 2, 2017

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FuzzySkinner posted:

you're a miserable gently caress aren't you?

Am I more, or less miserable than Jenna Fryer's twitter account?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's like here's the thing.

This is about as good as you're going to get in the auto racing community. Save for my buds on twitter? There's not much better. If Uncle Jam is expecting some sort of great paradise of great posting? It ain't happening.

Related note? Don't you frequent worst thread? I mean if that's not pot calling the kettle black....

I dunno about the worst thread, you post a ton more there than I do.

It'd be cool though to have posting to be better than slightly-less-poo poo-than-the-poo poo and actually have content and not just a bunch of cp twitter.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FuzzySkinner posted:

Well give me an example of what you want then?

If you're being sincere I'll try my best to find more interesting material.

Dude I'm not gonna list out some 12 step process for improved posting. But just reposting some randoms' opinion where the only thing anyone can do about it is get angry and stamp feet is pointless and checking twitter it is a veritable firehose of garbage (Maybe I'm old but I don't understand how people who actual put worthwhile stuff there deal with that). Every second of the day there will be something showing up there that will make you angry and you can spend the rest of your life mounting this empty anger against an infinite sea of never-ending dumb tweets but why would you want to do that? Just actual facts, histories, any discussion of the future based in reality about IndyCar is a billion times better.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fauxhawk Express posted:

For reference, the biggest cheers around me for the driver intros at the 500 were for TK, Helio, Alonso, and Rossi

Today was Hinch, Helio, Sato, and Rahal in increasing order.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Lord Crapulus posted:

Wow, why were the Penskes (minus Newgarden) so garbage? I get they were on the wrong strategy, but that doesn't get you lapped

Even when Power was running alone he was going really slow.
Other than Penske, TK was dog slow as well. I dunno man.

It is going to be warm today with scattered showers all day.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Human Grand Prix posted:

He's good here.

Too bad they messed up his strat in race 1!
Also if there is ever a disaster and a whole bunch of people need to be evacuated by bus I hope they have the people for the Belle Isle busses do it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

WindyMan posted:

But…

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/motor/2017/06/01/belle-isle-grand-prix-races-cash/102410842/

This is pretty interesting. You have a race that's hindered by the confines of the island it races on, but even if the race itself is a money loser, the fact that it generates the difference and more in conservancy efforts and B2B networking means Penske & Co. don't see Detroit the race weekend as a net loss. We'll see if Detroit the City agrees with that idea and reups for a few more years.

Well they need to get approval not only from Detroit but also the state of Michigan DNR which took over the park operations recently.
The race is definitely not about the profit, most of the people I see there are on tickets provided by their employer etc. This year I had a work meeting there for example.
They'll re-up but there is going to be a more restricted set-up time. Whenever Penske bites the big one and pushes off the mortal coil the race isn't going to be in good shape though.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

CactusWeasle posted:

That was a thriller, but god drat races like that scare the poo poo out of me. It's very uncomfortable to watch

tbh I DVR'd it and watched it later after confirming everything was OK.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

IOwnCalculus posted:

3.65-3.70 GHz, according to their FCC license. Which unfortunately seems to be outside the range of most cheap software defined radios.

P P P P Powerbridge
https://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=PBM-365

Relevant wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_multimedia_radio#3.3_-_3.8_GHz

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Just thinking about trying to decode some proprietary TDMA radio stream just to get access to a bewildering bit-stream makes me want to die though.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Outdated electronics provided by the series is a universal headache.

Even a garbage econobox is a super computer compared to any racing series. I understand why it's done but it basically forever prevents any close alignment of tech development ever again.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I understand the pointless endeavor China is from a fan perspective but I'm 95% sure its about attracting another manufacturer that wants reach beyond a limited NA market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yeah the whole model is dependent on negotiated supply. You'd have to roll back winners circle program, team's swapping manufacturers etc.
Probably in the future the engine is going to have to align with some other series.

• Locked thread