Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fridge corn posted:

The first book of 2017 is The Sellout by Paul Beatty
I'm starting the year with Dark Matter by Blake Crouch that I grabbed from Dad's bookshelf when we visited for the holidays.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:master:
2017 will be off to a good start. I have a pork shoulder smoking on the grill, I've finally got enough pennies in my piggy bank to buy the E90 M3 I've been :words: about for the last couple years. I'm sorely tempted to even go full dumb and buy that red one that Enthusiast Auto Group has because it is exactly what I want in a car.
EAG has some nice cars and at times I think it may be worth their pricing if you can't find what you're looking for after a few months of serious shopping. I was close to talking with them when I was looking for my M3. I've heard mixed reviews on EAG and their willingness to haggle on the price.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This one specifically gets my heart racing and is everything I was wanting. We do have sales tax to the tune of 6.85%. That would be about three grand, plus there will be insurance and EAG only ships in covered trailers (awesome) and is about $2200.

If the car had less than 50k miles maybe it would be a no brainer. I think that if I play the long game another can pop up and I'll be ready to buy it and spend less than $47k acquiring it.
drat that's a nice car and that price is pretty inline with what I've seen them going for, only a little high. I can't remember where you are but I'd do a fly-n-drive for that thing over having it shipped.

ExplodingSims posted:

It's officially 2017!
HAPPY NEW YEARS JERKS!
Thanks to you, Dave and Dan for the best thread I've seen in a long drat time. Bummed it didn't make it FL this year but now we have something to look forward to in 2017.

We were lazy for NYE. Some light drinking then her reading while I played video games then in bed by 9:30 or so. No fireworks or guns going off in the neighborhood which surprised me but was nice since the dogs hate fireworks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

eighty-four merc posted:

Finally got a little snow to find out if I made a horrible mistake putting oversized light truck tires on this thing.

Turns out I made the right decision.
:perfect:

eighty-four merc posted:

You can get a 4x4 IDI for a grand if you're patient.
Been kind of thinking of selling the courier and picking something like this up for a tow/beater rig. Maybe even pull the bed off and make it a ghetto ramp truck

CornHolio posted:

So there's a junkyard about 45 minutes away that has a set of four Goodyear Wrangler tires for $120. Tread looks alright, date code is 02/13. Good deal or pass? I'm looking for cheap tires for my truck, which has four different brand tires in two sizes on it right now, all of which are in awful shape. I don't really need tires until spring, but if these are a good deal I'll get them. Thoughts?
Put a set of those on the girlfriends Tacoma 3-4 months ago. They're tires...road noise isn't bad and they seem to be wearing decently. $120 for tires is a deal as long as they're not dry rotted or unevenly worn.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

And its only getting worse right now for IT, unfortunately. I'm moving more and more into the programming fields because Admin/Operations/Datacenter stuff is slowly evaporating, programming is really going to be the big driver for IT for the next decade or so.
I'm trying to work my way more towards the sysadmin and programming side but I don't even know where to start and I'm fairly stuck as a hardware guy as it stands right now. We had one admin that was giving me projects and things but he left for google so now I'm kind of lost. I have a fairly good grasp of unix/linux and day to day operations from helping out at other sites and could probably slot into a low level admin slot pretty easy at this point except I know almost zero programming outside of basic bash.

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend tried to get me to take the stupid Harry Potter house sorting test online and I refused because HP is loving stupid but she kept insisting and I said I was a man of science not magic so when she was in the shower I printed a bunch of PROPERTY OF STARK INDUSTRIES signs and stuck them on all her Harry Potter stuff and I don't think she's at all amused and also these painkillers are loving great.
:bravo:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Got a phone number on NYE too, I think, I think, I'm going to call it. :unsmith:
Call that number, always call the number

Was lazy the other day, ordered some ice pops along with a bunch of other stuff on amazon the other day. Package arrived yesterday but was way lighter than it should have been, also box beat the hell and hastily re-taped closed. Open it up and no ice pops but Hilti fasteners worth a poo poo load more than what I ordered. Amazon refunded me and said to keep the wrong items, so what's going to be the best way to sell these things? https://www.technologylk.com/hilti-...FC2718M40R.html

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

rdb posted:

I drove my car (well truck) to a new place today. Florida! 10 hours of hellish frozen roads and morons through KY, TN and AL.
At least we didn't get ice this time. People were driving stupid but the minimal snow we got didn't make to bad a mess of the back roads and the interstates (in Knoxville at least) were almost dry by 11 this morning. I didn't plan on going anywhere today with the snow but girlfriend was going stir crazy after being on bed rest since Wednesday morning so we went for a drive. Little VW does fine in this stuff and everyone was driving properly cautious.

I put on a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus a week or two after black friday and they impressed me with how well they handled the hills and snow. Got a little momentum at the bottom of the neighborhood then when I lost enough speed went down to 2nd gear and sat at 15mph all the way up, no spinning tires at all.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, that's the fun part: The largest collectors and beneficiaries of social programs are poor uneducated whites. And they generally vote for people who are vocally against those programs.
Added an important part that explains the second part

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

In other news, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a super neat RC truck this weekend for Hanukkah so that's pretty cool. Everybody staying warm out there this winter?
What are you possibly getting? I grew up on that stuff and without it I doubt I would be able to fix anything.

eighty-four merc posted:

Tires are General Grabber AT2 27x8.5R14LT. They don't rub at all.

Love it :perfect: Just showed girlfriend and she said she would not mind driving something like that. If you haven't you need to post that in the post your ride thread asap.

Since this is the general thread this will be only completely off topic. 1/4" plate steel, overkill for engine mounts or pretty standard and good practices? Think I finally figured out how I'm going to mount the engine in the race car. Was supposed to have a fab guy come look at it today but snow/ice killed that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Yes.

It's overkill for doing things "properly", but once you accept you're not going to do things properly, it's "pretty standard".

1/4" it is then, not like this thing is going to have an easy life. 1/4" plate and some left over roll cage tubing should work pretty well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

I gave up on motorcycle batteries and went to Oddessey's. Smaller, lighter, gel cell. If they are used regularly, they hold up just fine. Some day I'll find a LiFo that works, but until then I'm happy with these.
I go back and forth between motorcycle and 'race' batteries but haven't made the jump to LiFo yet. May make the jump on the swap car but not sure if it'll be worth it yet. After CSB's braile post I'm a little iffy.

cursedshitbox posted:

while we're on the topic of all things England.

12pt 12mm heads.
3/8-16 threads. ayup.
As I said on snapchat - Dammit WTF?

Tie for coldest temps I've seen since I moved to TN this morning, 12F. Coldest morning I can remember seeing since moving to TN, 10 degrees. Neighborhood hill is likely a giant sheet of ice by now. Brother and his wife decided to come over for dinner and going over the rental agreement (they're renting gf's house)...of course they got stuck at the base of the neighborhood. Then they spent the night on the couch watching Archer, dogs loved the company.

Good news is it'll be 65 by mid week

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 8, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tomarse posted:

I've been thinking about this for a while, and read lots about it but have not actually tried it on anything I own yet. Would be interested to hear some actual experiences of it.
My fleet is all old junk, the stuff I know history of has been mixed. The 320i ran dino until ~140k and has run synthetic the past ~35k, no issues. Courier was dino for the last two owners (~115k), the past 18k has been synthetic. The M's were run synthetic as long as I know, 928 has been mixed back and forth but synthetic since I've owned it.

I can't think of anyone I know telling me first hand that one of their cars was ruined by switching to synthetic oil.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

blk posted:

Should we have a "post your bad idea" thread where people post the purchases/projects they know are terrible but want to pursue anyways?

:justpost: I can't be the only one with a big list of projects I'd like to do but lack the time/space/money/talent to do.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tomarse posted:

I'm still trying to find something to fit into the threaded holes in the back of my V8 heads. Getting hold of imperial bolts here is quite tricky and I have to order them in small quantities online and it is getting quite frustrating
Can't remember where you're located but if you can find everything you need on http://mcmaster.com/ it wouldn't be an issue for me to place the order then ship it to you once it arrives. Takes 1 day to get to me from their Atlanta location and I've been doing an order a month or so.

Darchangel posted:

This is why I continue to look at RC stuff longingly, but don't commit...
I spent all my spare money in high school and college on RC, whenever I get sick and am mostly couch bound I get back into it and throw way too much money at it. Now I have a room full of RC stuff that just sits, maybe I mess with something once a month. Was very close to pulling the trigger on a bunch of RC rock crawler stuff a while ago but had some restraint for once.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:siren:A deposit has been placed:siren:

:fap: drat good choice there

Girlfriend is going to be renting her house to my brother and his wife starting in February so we've been busting our asses getting it ready for them. Between packing stuff to move to my house, stuff to goodwill, fixing and minor construction I can't wait for this to be over. Hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the rear end. Of course day they signed the lease she got a message from someone interested in buying the house :doh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

loving massive cuts to the DoE Laboratory system. :negative:

FML.
poo poo's going to be rough for the next four years. Seems they're working fast to undo everything Obama did.

Cancel the ACA but not let their plan and the money wasted be reviewed...wtf - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di9R9oA5Qzk

CharlesM posted:

They don't have to use the façade type skimmers, they actually open the pump with a commonly available key and just plug the skimmer between the card reader and the computer.
Skimmer chat, read this and never trust a card reader again - https://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

As an aside from forums drama...

While delivering some furniture to a friend last weekend I noticed a nice S10 parked off to the side. The engine is toast (over heated) and she either wants to sell it or have someone fix it depending on the price. Any idea what this would be worth based on this description? No rust, southern truck, automatic.

quote:

2001 4X4 Chevy s10 ZR2 package. It has a third door and third seat. Windows and door locks are electronic. it has a bed liner and sliding rear window. Miles are less than 130,000. Rebuilt transmission, new transfer case, radiator, water pump, and tires. It needs work on the engine, brakes and drivers door needs new door hinges. Dent in rear fender/bumper. Very few other dents or scratches. Still sharp looking inside and out just needs some serious TLC and know how on vehicles ( which I do not have). If you have any other questions just let me know! Thanks so much again!!

Think she said if she sold it as is she wanted $1k and a new engine is available for $800 from advance auto

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Do I spy a dry sump pulley and pump on it? No idea what it is otherwise but yay engines.

KozmoNaut posted:

Layoffs are coming next week, and according to my boss, the 31st and 1st are going to be "very rough days".
:glomp: good luck

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious
The little bit of time I get to work on the race car I enjoy immensely even if it isn't enough to really accomplish anything. Witcher 3 has also been a pretty good time waster and is very effective at making me forget about the car I should be working on.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

you need a 300TD. it'll pick good friends too.
I want one of these slow bastards for some reason. Girlfriend was looking at Subarus to replace her Tacoma but I've almost convinced her a slow rear end old Mercedes is a much better choice. There's no way this will backfire in spectacular fashion right?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Harbor Freight's got their small dollies on sale for 8 bucks again. Everyone should go get a handful.
Website is still showing the 1500lb dollys at $53 - http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1500-lb-capacity-vehicle-dollies-67338.html
Wood moving dollys are down at $10 a piece though - http://www.harborfreight.com/18-In-x-12-In-1000-lb-Capacity-Hardwood-Dolly-63098.html

CharlesM posted:

It feels like the cg is really up high. The weight is flying around when you brake heavily, turn, etc.

CharlesM posted:

Trying to race a Pontiac Aztek around the Nordschleife...
It's kind of a top heavy beast so that's expected. You'll just have to play with suspension to minimize weight transfer and memorize the hell out of the track.

Think we're going to be fostering another litter of puppies if we can figure out where to put them. Garage is good but chilly at night and there isn't really space other than the workout area. Guest bedroom is perfect except puppies are loud and I like sleep. May be moving them back and forth between garage and guest room. Expect lots of dog pictures if we do, think it's three shepard mix mutts around seven weeks old...so loud any full of dagger teeth.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I've burned through 2 spools of flux core wire so far and I think that despite not being confident enough to do anything related to structural strength, I can do very basic fab work that is embarrassingly ugly. I really need to get an angle grinder or something, I have more slag to clean up than I have Dremel cutoff wheels left
A grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't

I'm at about the same spot with my welding. I'll tack things together and if it isn't structural run a bead. Ff it needs to not fail I'll tack it then bring it to someone that knows what they're doing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Darchangel posted:

I just spent an hour or so solving the riddle for the Jindosh Lock on the mansion in Dishonored 2. A logic puzzle involving 5 ladies with 5 Heirlooms, from 5 countries, wearing 5 colors, drinking 5 alcohols at 5 places at the table. The matrix to solve it was pretty good sized, and I'm out of practice with that type of puzzle, but I got it right, without resorting to help, in game or internet. There was an achievement for doing it without learning the answer elsewhere in game, it turns out. Go me! Just felt like I wanted to exercise my brain - it's been too long since I worked a puzzle like that. Felt good!
I'm enjoying Dishonored 2 but for some reason it isn't drawing me in as much as the original did on my first or even second play through. Just finished the clockwork soldier guys mansion level and still no kills, bodies found or being detected. Kind of tempted to start a full chaos run for a change of pace and see if I enjoy it more.

Adiabatic posted:

breckenridge owns and im so bad at snowboarding
Breckenridge and surrounding areas are amazing, I miss going out there to board every Christmas. Newbies first days on a board, how sore is your rear end and knees?

Enourmo posted:

He banned all national entry to people from terrorist Middle Eastern nations (except the ones where he has golf courses lol), including legal immigrants with green cards and people with dual citizenship.
It's sad after feeling proud to be an American with some of the things Obama passed we go back to this and knowing the rest of the world is looking down on us again. Back to telling people I'm Canadian when I travel internationally because everyone loves Canada.

Rearranged garage again so I can get back to working on the race car. Made a little progress on the new front control arm bushings then smashed the poo poo out of my hand so moved over to wiring for a bit. Need to spend most of the day tomorrow working on it now that I have time.

Drinking and Grand Tour begins shortly!

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

QUUUUUUAAAAAAADDDDDDDSSSS
Ha reminds me of last time I went snowboarding. Was out West for an install and spent four days going up and down ladders, crawling under the floor and pushing 3.5k lb cabinets around. Last day of the install was spent entirely standing on ladders. Then I went snowboarding the next day, quad/calf cramps every drat run and only lasted about four hours. Still worth it.

Have fun with stairs for the next 48 hours

ExplodingSims posted:

So how long until he starts a full blown propaganda department?
If the rest of the country is anything like the south he won't need it. There's even more Trump/Pence signs out now than before the election. His supporters (at least around here) are very vocal, they're like racist Bernie bros.

Watched Sausage Party last night, wasn't nearly as bad as I expected or people made it out to be. Sure it was stupid but had some decent moments and enough dumb comedy it was worth the hour and a half. May have helped we had been drinking.

• Locked thread