Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

no bones about it posted:

I can't even remember great lakes except for one sole experience, wherein I realized I was in a frozen hell. The weather went from almost 70 degrees one day to <10 the next, and about 6 feet of lake effect snow fell overnight.

Seriously though dude, are you like a boot washout or something?

I showed up in April and left in June. The memory that sticks with me is standing watch in an empty compartment a week or so away from graduation. It was warm, the trees were green again, and I could hear them rustling gently in the wind and thinking it was actually kind of nice.

It was a short moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can I get in the Navy if I have a DEP discharge from the Army from 2014 or will they laugh me out?

Depends on how they coded you. Only one way to find out.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/850361648749662210

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Triple post, but gently caress it.

You are forgetting about God's one, true, Navy jogging suit:

These were terrible in every single way.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

I know. I still fondly wear mine at Army-Navy parties along with my blue rims. :allears:

I wore them once in this same way. Have a West Point jacket too that i acquired along the way. It's way nicer.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

You can get a PUC from a good orse?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Aren't PUCs combat unit citations? The FLORIDA got a NUC for blowing up Libya.

And secret submarine poo poo. The only ships to get them after Vietnam have been the parche and jimmy Carter.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Utility jacket is the only one I kept. It's comfy as poo poo....if maybe a little tight for some reason now.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Are they going to reopen that berthing when it's fixed or would they change it for a different purpose. Would be creepy to be assigned to the berthing where all those dudes died.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Has it been explained earlier why they collided in the first place? Was the nav team asleep? The radar off?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

The San Francisco colliding with an underwater mountain at flank. I've heard the story multiple times that while only the one guy who was smoking died, but that hours before they had the sonar dome open for cleaning on field day, which would have doomed the entire ship.

For Two Finger et al:

Sonar dome is at the very front, and is a dry space with all the sonar electronics, theres a crawl way through the ballast tanks with a thick watertight door on the main pressure hull. The sonar dome itself isn't particularly structural and when the San fran hit the mountain it crumpled in like a soda can. The pressure hull, being thick steel, was fine, but had that watertight door been open the front of the ship would have quickly flooded and doomed the ship.

Is driving the boat at flank while having a critical WT door open something that happens often would you say?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cerekk posted:

Submarines aren't inherently a bad deal though they're certainly not for everyone.

Lots of people on subs like their jobs.

None of those people are nukes.

MT seemed like a good rating to me. Push button e4, trident submarine guaranteed, not nuclear power... best rating is trident cone ET

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Isn’t it a little early for service selection?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Coveralls on board ship, USCG dickies style on shore. Unit ball caps with both.

One single dress uniform.

Done. You’re welcome.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Joe Kennedy said he knew it was time to exit the stock market in 1929 when he started getting stock tips from the shoe shine boy.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ded posted:

Doing flank speed during sound trials up in Alaska we went so fast it was off the dial.

Subs love cold water.

For feeding, but they come back to Hawaiian waters to calf.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I wonder also if perhaps there was a nadir of talent going in during the 90s and now those people are the COs. I base that solely on the basis that they let me through.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

Never heard them called fried hamsters before but I'm going to start calling them that from now on.

I always heard them called chicken Chernobyl

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

About six of them will flunk A school

Another four will flunk Power School.

Two will be smart and make it through school just to crash into the brick wall that is "applying book knowledge to reality" that is prototype

One will have SADded out in the first year of reaching a ship

One will get a DUI and be de-nuked.

One will likely attempt suicide.

Four will do their six years and leave in a hurry.

Three will reenlist in their first two years to pick up E-5 and two of them will shortly regret that choice.

I remember seeing a stat of all enlistees and was surprised how few completed their initial 4/5/6 year commitment.

Also this thread made me google image RTC and that place is almost completely unrecognizable to me. The tunnel between the two halves of the base is there but prettier. The intake building looks exactly the same as I remember it. Other than that... I saw really old pictures of rtc and those b/e pics were the ones I recognized. So what I’m saying is...:corsair:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Isn’t NR just a regular shore billet for nuke officers?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Make sure to check out the museum that’s filled with ships carved from bones made by prisoners.

Also the best AC in the hot Annapolis summer is in John Paul Jones’ crypt.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Yeah, despite the insertion (for some/most) of a massive ring knocker ego, Annapolis was a good town to be in college. I even spent one summer there taking an extra course because it was more exciting than going back to butt gently caress GA.

I enjoyed the poo poo out of summer school. It was the only time it felt like an actual college and not like that Petri dish of ego and wanna be marines.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'd like to get the inside scoop from that girl with the short hair and the tattoos.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Null Integer posted:

gently caress it. I'm done with this. I'm getting out in July. What do I do now?

Go back to school on Uncle Sam's sweet juicy tit. The GI Bill is amazing.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Some of the people I know really enjoyed Kwaj. I don’t think the same is true of Diego Garcia.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cross Posting

RandomPauI posted:

There was a collision between a Norwegian frigate Hilge and an oil tanker. The frigate was beached and there were hopes that'd keep it from sinking but...

Phone posting from the app. Those images are cobbled from two seperate posters. I tried image preview but the preview didn't load. I assume they aren't leached and won't break tables.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

E:Nm

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 24, 2019

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

If everyone in the chain was pushing higher op tempo, who was supposed to be the one to stick out his neck and say “no I can’t handle any more. It’s not safe?”

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

You’ve seen the parade uniforms they already have right?

They should bring back those for actual officers along with the mop head gold epaulettes and the pirates of penzance hats.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 18, 2019

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Welp, its been 2 years since I commissioned and I haven't done anything UCMJ-able

Are you even trying?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The boomer fleet is still manned by two crews is it not?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Madurai posted:

Mentioned over in current events, but Very Stable Genius Alert:

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1133882529335980032

Wasn’t the ship named for his dad?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

You at least have to have an assembled weapon to fire off rounds. I’m with the CO.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Political appointees are cool and good.

*laughs nervously in Annapolis-ese*

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Strong chance he thought he was nominating Stinger from top gun.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

It is surprisingly difficult to properly dispose of a broken flat screen tv in Great Lakes. The base housing bulk pickup company wont take it. Best Buy wont take a TV this big. Theres an instruction against using base dumpsters for personal trash, though I dont know how rigidly its enforced but I'm not super eager to chance it.

Any suggestions? I'm getting close to a Walmart Dumpster Night-Op.

http://www.cmrecycle.com/e-recycle/

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Insulated ladderwell.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Isn’t there a shrine to Rickover they could use? Pretty sure I heard all the nukes say he was satan incarnate or something.

They named the engineering building after him. Pretty much the same thing.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I want more modern film of WW2 fighters like in Dunkirk. Worth the price of admission for that alone. Does midway have that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

I think DIs broke my brain. :o
Opened a school newsletter thing, saw a little profile piece about the Major that teaches the AFROTC classes. Legit could not get over thinking about how much her cover looked like rear end. And this is after going on a meet-and-greet type visit to my next command where every time I talked with this one CDR I kept getting distracted by how much his sleeve rolls looked like garbage. And the untucked bootlaces *shudder*... they were everywhere...

There should be a German word for this. I felt this, particularly after being released into society and noticing how fat everyone was. Took a week to recover my senses.