Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Im thinking this in baby blue with dixie cups...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

How big of a deal is it if PSD gets my awards wrong on my DD214? I can't find the paperwork for some of the poo poo I've gotten.

Depends; is a NAM or does it have to do with an award for serving in a combat zone? Can make a difference sometime down the road.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Godholio posted:

The appropriate response to this is that it's the battle flag of an enemy of the United States, traitor.

Maybe you can hang the rebel flag and tell ppl it's upside down out of disrespect for the confederacy...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vessel Off Coast Of Japan

At least this one ran into another ship, and not the entire nation of Japan like the Antietam did.

Sounds like a few are missing...

They'll need a SME brought in to help find them;

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Some of the news articles indicate the crew thought they were under attack; had been "hit" by a missle... so they spun up to their guns, etc...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/18/world/asia/navy-uss-fitzgerald-japan.html?_r=0

Dingleberry fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 19, 2017

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Laranzu posted:

The LHD ran out of toilet paper after an unexpected extended stay in Kenya's harbor.

It was pretty brutal.

So do you masturbate into the socks you steal before you wipe your drippy rear end or the reverse and pretend you're doing anal?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Zeris posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, you're allowed to masturbate on boats?

I only really worked on merchant ships from 2008-15, other than doing the merchant vessel security thing back in 04-05, but in all cases I'm pretty sure I affected the ballasting with the baby batter I was producing...

"You have been awarded a VA rating for Callused, Leathery Dong caused by inadequate access to proper facilities, 11%"

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Yes yes! I loved your pictures and this story!

Can we all get a recap?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Nah it's just making a knocker out of some line for our bell. We don't have an experienced BM to teach him any fancy line work. I can make a decent piece in 15 minutes or less. I'm even in practice right now from my volunteer work on a local ship museum. End splice to an end splice and Bobs your uncle. We have some visit by a rear admiral or such this weekend and he's being smoked to the bone doing retarded stuff.

Plus he gave me a donut once so I kinda like him.

Tell that baby there's an app for that

Grog Knots

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Oooh I'm getting that for myself!

Man I always forget all the cool stuff that there is apps for.

Yeah it's pretty sweet for like two bucks

Taught myself how to splice with cheap braided hemp from Home Depot and this app

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

I enjoy every minute of this really. Two CPOS got sent to me to borrow my line so they they tie themselves together in some bondage poo poo I think. I had to refresh their knot skills.

Apparently I'm the only source of spare line in this whole building. On a navy base.

In 2012 there was a wind storm in Everett that caused a ship under "pierside yard period" to part lines and almost hit the pier on opposite side of the harbor.

My tug responded, and they had no extra mooring lines on the ship, or on station, so we "lent" them our spare, unused, brand-new $50k plasma lines that were set to replace our old towing lines to be used for said purpose. In the meantime they had to send for lines from Brem to be trucked around...

When we got them back they were greasy and chafed as gently caress...

Tidbit, the one line hanging off the stern stbd quarter was sent over by the fed fire guys who responded first... the ship had parted all of its lines, fortunately fire arrived and saved the day... also funny were the smoking, hands in pockets guys doing nothing on the ship while things going bad.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Ceric posted:

Jesus Christ what a nightmare. That FC1 needs a ship named after him.

Godholio posted:

The system works fine.

Other than the whole run into by a 800 foot container ship thing...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Off the top of my head, and excluding stuff like math and physics, I got:
205 hours of seamanship, engineering and basic poo poo
120 hours of naval architecture
Roughly 260 hours of pilotage, ship handling and navigation
110 hours of colreg and practical collision avoidance (soooo much time in the fog in the simulator)
120 hours of celestial navigation
120 hours of intact and damaged stability (which might not be all that relevant to naval operations)
60 hours of radio communications

Let's round it up to a thousand hours, and I'm excluding stuff like electricity, management, regulations and cargo handling because I'm assuming those would be replaced by their military equivalent, for another 700-800 hours. I don't see how that can be condensed in 12 weeks, and leave enough time for studying.

State maritime academy? Working the lakes?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
I worked port ops in Everett on an assist tug; we'd put docking pilots aboard ships coming in and the pilots would generally talk about how the CO's were often unwilling or incapable of putting their own ships alongside the pier, comfortably. With two tugs providing assistance.
I can't imagine what level of ship handling one has to be a CO but not capable of a simple docking evolution.
So how much experience do they have to pass down in regards to busy navigation areas and good nav practices?
I have a 2nds license for what it's worth and spent most of my time sailing on dredges in pretty busy areas...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Harbor pilots always dock warships and control the tugs, therefore no naval officer ever gets practice doing it alone.

That seems crazy to me: I was on a ro-ro in 2010 dropping gear in Umm Qsar and we had two local pilots aboard, the river and docking. Neither did anything other than raid our cigarette stash and take coffee and plastic cups.
The docking pilot started loving up badly so the Captain told the helmsman not to listen to the guy anymore and put us alongside. The local dock pilot seemed fine with this and just sat down and chilled.
Just saying, with all the ports overseas a small boy can make, I'd want to know that I could take care of things if need be, as a captain.
Maybe the Navy needs to start pulling MSC guys(like chief mate lvl plus) to come help do U/W OJT with the nav officers...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Navy chief at Whidbey barricaded himself in his house... armed barricaded suicidal subject. Off base.

Another chief, his buddy, also base CDO at the time, shows up, sneaks past a deputy as they're staging for tact team, ends up in house.

This ensues...

http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/deputy-shot-killed-armed-man-on-north-whidbey-sunday-night/

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Two Finger posted:

You're for real? Every merchant ship has people asleep during the day. I used to work 0000-1100 and sleep during the afternoon

My last job sailing I worked a 6/6 schedule; 0000-0600, 1200-1800... the most sleep I could get was 5 hours in a period reasonably.
I tried to get them to do an 8/4/4/8 that they did on one dredge I worked on-that was the tits; I'd sleep 7 hours on my long off time, lift and laundry on the 4 hours off. Even on the 8 hours on the captain would do a relief for either dinner or breakfast. The senior mate stood the 00-08 watch so the captain felt the more experienced guy was up there while he was racked out.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Tell your fellow 'bees that buying sex indentured servants is acceptable but frowned upon

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Lingcodkilla does this mean you have some room above for promotion... giddy up on that GS stallion!

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/2017/10/17/bremerton-man-charged-child-rape-king-county/774430001/

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

When type 3 as stamdard got announced a bunch of Seabees (re: fat kids) got caremad because "they make us unique!" Nevermind all of NECC uses them after NSW designed them so THEY could be unique, or that wearing woodland BDU was what made the construction force stand apart.

Basically uniforms are only good for causing stupidity and misuse of funds

They'll always have their low ASVAB scores and creepy pedo-staches to set them apart from their Navy brethren.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

bengy81 posted:

First deployment I went on the night baker made the mistake of making cinnamon rolls one night for the mid watch rotation. Turns out that the dept. heads really liked them, so they started demanding them every night. Was pretty nice since mid rats was usually inedible. Dude got tired of making the, though, so he started letting them proof with chopped up onions or something. They smelled great, but tasted like stale onions so the demand for them eventually went away.

Second deployment one of the cooks made really good chicken parms, but they got too popular so the CS's had to invent ways to gently caress them up, like making the breading soggy, or not putting breading on them, or overcooking them, or not putting cheese on them.

Man, gently caress CS's....

Merchant ship story;

Wa on a ro-ro with loving terrible stewards and chief cook. They would put a tray of cold cuts in the fridge every night for the late watches. But they would not change out cold cuts, just add to them, therefore tray of rancid cold cuts sat in fridge for days and days. An AB took the tray one day and thru it overboard. The cook was pissed because he used his "nice" silver platter.
I lost 20 lbs in under 90 days on that thing. First port that I had time to eat was in Morocco... I ate like I'd never eat again.
Also, the cook would take spoiled milk and mix it with fresh milk in pitchers for the crew to use, to make it go further.
No one used milk until we got restocked with ultrapasturized goat milk in Kuwait.
I developed a complex lasting years that every time i went to a new boat I'd no poo poo bring like $500 bucks worth of cliff bars, meal replacement shakes, etc to make sure I wasn't gonna starve.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Join the merchant marine get your stcw come work under me on the Slavic Crime Yacht

I've got my second mates but will work as an AB if there are whores and cocaine on your yacht...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
FWIW the recruiters and meps guys DID do a lot of paperwork and it would probably suck if they had to redo it; I had a friend who worked at MEPS and he said it was hard and he had to work late once.

I think LogicalFallacy can rest assured that by honoring his contract as it stands Poseidon will provide relief to him in times of struggle and despair. If he steps away from a contract made with direct representatives of the God of The Sea then he nor any of his blood will ever be safe to set foot in or near the sea again.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
You should make sure to by a really nice car/jeep/truck first, don't worry about the interest rate because you can get it knocked down to like 6% once your are on active, Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act...
The $100K make it so you can get pretty much any car you want. Corvette? Top of the Line Lexus? How about a custom pickup with a lift kit and CB lights?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LogicalFallacy posted:

I don't mean to seem flippant, or as if I'm dismissing all your advice out of hand, but I do have a habit of minimizing the concerns of others, and digging my heels in even in cases where I am pretty clearly wrong. I do thank you guys for your patience and/or mockery, and assure you I really don't plan on becoming a statistic anytime soon.

Promote that man.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
CS on a carrier sounds pretty sweet to me...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

I specifically asked for navy seal cook when I took my asvab.

If you didn't have a pony tail then its a non starter.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
On a lighter note

http://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/news/graphic-navy-admits-to-being-involved-in-obscene-skydrawings-spotted-in-okanogan-co/67-492521457

https://twitter.com/anahi_torres_/status/931266469869977600/photo/1

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
https://www.change.org/p/donald-trump-stop-the-navy-from-punishing-pilots-for-creating-sky-written-dickart

Dingleberry fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 17, 2017

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Up to 426 signatures...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

shovelbum posted:

Just talked to a guy I know who is on a destroyer about the work hours, he told he about getting like three one hour naps per night and nothing else for months, with a crew of hundreds. As a merchant mariner it is just all super alien to me, you can run a thousand foot ultradeepwater drillship 24/7 such that everyone gets 12 hours of rest a day with half the crew I mean I know a destroyer is more complicated than a box full of boxes like I'm used to these days but gently caress man those schedules can't be good for not getting run over

That would require other people to work more than a 6 or 8 hour day and no one on those good schedules is having that...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

piL posted:

I think the attraction to five and dimes rests in the shared motivation watch teams get to qualify additional watch standers and rotate them through secretly before the senior watch officer finds out, then pretend you didn't know any better.

I think I'd rather be 6 on 6 off with every third day off so I could legit rack out for ten hours.

We did four section circadian rhythm for a bit. It was awesome. Someone figure out how to keep it going in port and use your leadership to distribute info and manage cleanliness so you don't waste the reduced co-working time that is a requirement in meetings and clampdowns.

I did 6/6 last civil ship I worked on; dredging...

One dredge I was on temporarily in ‘13 did 8/4/4/8... it was pretty awesome. Though I did the 8 hours off from 00-0800. Then I’d do a 08-12, off 12-16, and my long shift was 16-00, with the captain giving me a 30 minute chow break at 1730 ish... The guy opposite of me was on the 00-08 and that kinda sucked, but he got chow relief at 0600 or so.

We only drilled on sundays tho’.

Maybe they should bring CivMars on to drive from point A-B, with the mil folks for redundancy and training or whatever.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
I spoke with an active E-6 the other day about a Chief who’s prolly going to Court Martial; I mentioned he’ll most likely get busted down and booted out(medical as his foot was pulverized). The E-6 trumped out that “it takes an act of Congress “ thing about busting chiefs... I told him he should google that.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/deputy-justified-in-fatal-shooting-prosecutor-finds/

Chiefs gone wild up here on the Island.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Is Yorktown NWS still the anal polyp it once was? I went there for pre-dep training in ‘04 for a day or three.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Al Capwn posted:

I'm a shore sailor and I was sent on a COMPUTEX and recently got back from a deployment. That experience was cool and all but definitely changed my mindset of the Navy. Before all that I was definitely going to reenlist. Now with having spent 9 months at sea while on shore duty I am most definitely going to get out. I have 6 months until my PRD, and I have 10 months until my EAOS. Since it was easy for my CMC to send me off like that, im worried that if I tell my plans to not reenlist he will send me TAD somewhere again and thus ruin potential plans I have set about leaving. If he tries to send me TAD again for whatever reason, is there a way to contest or fight it?

Limdu baby, gotta get that va claim shored up. Non-deployable. All the cool kids are doing it these days.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

EBB posted:

i read that as parrot tits and i refuse to read it any other way

Try ordering a parrot milk latte at Starbucks and see how that goes over.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I checked in for mobilization processing earlier this month, they said something along the lines of "welcome to all our reservists or as we call you, the Navy's expeditionary force."

It’s good that they haven’t gotten any smarter than that when using reservists. In 2002-04 they were grabbing reservists from say MI and MN and sending them to the PNW to fill out security billets, regardless of rate. Then they were grabbing reservists from the PNW and sending them to Great Lakes and the east coast, to perform security billets. Or grabbing PNW guys and sending the to Diego for security posts, and when they got there they had nothing to use them for. But numbers matter, round peg, square hole or not.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

I used to sail on set unloaders, our longest port calls were like 12-14 hours, and obviously we had to do our watches plus two before / two after.

Once in a while we’d go to a slower load port and we’d get to enjoy almost a whole day in like... Sandusky, Ohio, or Thunder Bay, Ontario.

At least we got paid decently I guess.

That’s why its better when youre on a ship where the unloading equipment breaks down on the regular. Or at a dock with regular breakdowns. Can get 48 hours at SMET in Superior. The Lamplighter was about a 20 minute walk from the front gate. I think its closed now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

shovelbum posted:

was that the really lovely strip club, we were trying to remember where that was at work the other day

I think we'd all forgotten superior existed and were like... Two harbors??

Yup. Aka limplifter

I enjoyed it though. Kinda liked the frumpy girls hanging out half naked playing video poker vibe. The was a nicer place down from it but still pretty much frumpy midwestern girls (which back in the day were kinda my jam). I think the limplifter bldg is for sale now.