Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hi shippies, i could use a reminder here from someone with fresher experience.

We used to use a method of staging mooring lines that involve laying them out in repeating figure 8 loops and then going back and putting a turn on one end across all the loops?

I didn't act as a line handler very often and never really understood how it worked in the first place but is like to try staging my garden hose that way.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and could explain it to me that would be very good.

E: i think it was used when transferring lines with shot line and an m14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

YES, thank you. It was very difficult to Google since i couldn't remember what it was called.

Maybe i could just have dug out my bluejacket's manual and found it in there. Thanks again

E: I've been out for 17 years and somehow it's easy to remember dumb poo poo like how to tie my neckerchief and lay in creases in the back of a utility shirt but anything useful is long gone.

I was extremely embarrassed the first time i launched my bass boat and couldn't remember how to do a cleat hitch

titties fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 11, 2021

titties
May 10, 2012

I always hated doing colors when i was on a destroyer. Standing there at parade rest, straddling the bow line, waiting for the song to start.

Just watching the line go slack and then draw tight over and over.

Listening to it creeeeeeeaaaaak.

I knew there was no reason for it to break but in those times i was always a little convinced that i was about to die straddling a line that you were never supposed to stand over except in this one circumstance because someone has to lower the flag very slowly or else the terrorists win

E:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Congrats! Hope you get to have some fun on the trip west, Mugu is awesome. I love this little backwater base, even if we have to deal with raccoons pissing in the ceiling every now and then.

My dad was stationed there, i lived there for a couple of years. Dad taught a raccoon to come inside and eat a little dinner. We kids were fascinated by its hand washing.

The pizza place / bar Mugu's had the worst pizza I've ever had full stop.

I liked going to mugu Rock and checking out the seal beach, and it was nice sometimes to drive to Santa Monica and see them shooting baywatch.

Oxnard sucks rear end though

E2: that's where i met my wife

titties fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 12, 2021

titties
May 10, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

They didn't just blow the whistle twice?

Probably, it's been a pretty long time but there must have been whistle blasts. They also blared taps throughout the entire base which is the part i remember more vividly

titties
May 10, 2012

When we went to Puerto Rico the torpedo tubes were instantly packed full of duty free rum and we just kept our collective mouths shut. It ruled

titties
May 10, 2012

Hekk posted:

I thought I was clever trading 5.56 rounds for stuff in Iraq during OIF 1. You guys traded entire torpedoes? That’s way better than what I managed.

I assume you're kidding but since i don't want any visits from ncis i guess i have to be clear that no ordnance left the boat unaccounted for

titties
May 10, 2012

I had another dream about those fresh dinner rolls.

Does anyone have the official bread roll recipe? I've never been able to find it online.

titties
May 10, 2012

God dammit i must be the only filipino to ever serve who doesn't know how to make the bread

titties
May 10, 2012

Based on some of your responses I'm starting to wonder if my experience was unusual and most of you were not served fresh, made-from-scratch bread rolls with dinner every night while underway

titties
May 10, 2012

In a stunning display of not giving a single gently caress I once had a chief allow me to write my own eval. I was extremely squared away and an asset to sublant

(Spoiler: i lied)

titties
May 10, 2012

I used to kind of like 6-12 but port and starboard can suck the poo poo out my rear end.

titties
May 10, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Hahahahaha so I called ECRC to talk to Pay about my issue of them taking back all my money. I patiently explained to the dude and he puts me on hold.

"So while I was reviewing your pay issue I noticed you got sea pay for June when you were at ECRC that hasnt been taken back yet."

DUDE.

TAKE CARE OF MY MISSING THREE MONTHS OF PAY FIRST BEFORE YOU TAKE BACK THE loving $100 DOLLARS.

I went to disbursing every other week for almost 6 months trying to get my comrats sorted. Every single time they would have no record of my previous visit but oh, "we'll get this filed and you can come back in 2 weeks if it isn't in your paycheck".

Finally, after receiving orders to a new command that had a yeoman who actually did stuff i had all the back pay in the next check.

titties
May 10, 2012

The best one is when someone just straight up pissed all over the deck and you plop your coveralls directly into the puddle

titties
May 10, 2012

Hekk posted:

Then who stands in line for chow hours early and hogs all the gym equipment on amphibs?

Seabees?

titties
May 10, 2012

You know in trying to make that joke I've realized that i know nothing about amphibs or seabees or what either of them actually do

titties
May 10, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Amphibs drive in circles spreading misery then port call in Thailand to spread stds

This sounds excellent but I'm too old to reenlist

titties
May 10, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

Amphibs are taxis for Marines

Seabees build gazebos at Camp Lemonnier and crowd the gym at Little Creek. Also they want to play the long and boring game of Spade instead of the superior card game of Euchre.

That's funny, the only people i ever knew who wanted to play euchre were fellow michiganders and the only people i knew who actually wanted to play spades were e3's at the barracks sitting in the laundry room waiting for a dryer

I wanted to play canasta but nobody ever knew how

titties
May 10, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Oh hai guys, long time no post. Hope none of you are still dumb enough to be in (says the lifer). Can confirm being a civilian is still great, 4 years into it.

I have been out for 18 years and sometimes i wish i was back in??

titties
May 10, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know how anyone has ever been able to sleep in the whole Hampton Roads area. When we lived there at the end of the Cold War our house was on final approach to NAS Norfolk so it was 24/7 jets landing.

I lived like 3 miles from NOB gate 3 and while the jet noise could be annoying it was nothing compared to the 5 trillion tiny shreiking frogs that lived in the rain flooded parking spaces under my bedroom window

titties
May 10, 2012

If you've never hung off the side of the boat while underway to needlegun in the rain even though you were combat systems because it's "your turn" to help out deck, we're you even really in the navy?

titties
May 10, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

Wait do people get paid to make bad 4 panel comics?

Yes, they are called NCOs.

Representing the Navy core values of HONOR COURAGE and COMMITMENT is a 24/7/365 obligation which means you get paid for everything you do, 24 hours a day including making mcpon memes and even sleeping in your bed at home. Isn't that great?

Between your base pay, bha, comrats, sea pay, and hazardous duty you are earning roughly 8 dollars an hour. Congratulations shipmate

titties
May 10, 2012

If you never drank until you passed out and then woke up in a hostel / phone booth / under a park bench and had to be carried onto the boat were you ever really in the navy?

titties
May 10, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

Does the trolly station in front of BDubs in downtown Norfolk count? :v:

Yes.

Also i miss Norfolk. When i was attached to subron support i was the only E4 working for the 1LT who was allowed in the section leader rotation. I basically had my pick if i had to stand quarterdeck watch, so i always choose the chief's barracks.

The door was controlled by a buzzer and there were only 2 residents in the building so you could get away with anything. The building manager's office was connected to the quarterdeck but since it was distinct from the quarterdeck nobody ever complained about the TV which was set on a chair just inside the door.

So many nights i showed up to that watch with my ps2, ordered a pizza, and just hung and played video games and gorged myself on junk food. Most of the time you didn't see a single person and the ones you did see did not give a single poo poo what you did because they were a 45 year old chief who lived in the barracks.

titties fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 15, 2022

titties
May 10, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Point Mugu needs to be renamed NAS Fallout. I assume the Navy keeps the satellite stuff there because the base looks like it's already been hit by a nuke.

If there is still a bar / pizza place called mugu's just inside the gate don't forget to stop in and experience the worst pizza of your life

titties
May 10, 2012

I had to talk my division into tacking on my third class crow in the manner of old because in the early 2000's the entire navy was very afraid of getting in trouble for any kind of hazing or harassment

titties
May 10, 2012

Have you ever considered that being in is good and i should have continued to be in for however long it took to get separated because i couldn't make rank

titties
May 10, 2012

E: actually nevermind, i have a story to tell about transient assignments but I'll wait until i can type it instead of trying to phonepost

But yeah for the two weeks i was in TPU waiting to get out that was literally all i had to do, show up to muster and then go home.

And also take piss tests. I had twice as many piss tests in TPU as i did the whole rest of the time i was in the navy including the one at meps

titties fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 1, 2022

titties
May 10, 2012

Happy veterans day, don't forget to go to olive garden for your free chicken parm or whatever.

Pro tip: olive garden does not in any way check that you served you just have to say so

titties
May 10, 2012

They told us we were going to fleet week once but then someone flooded a compartment and i spent a week at a titty bar in port canaveral instead

titties
May 10, 2012

Nystral posted:

Ooof Canaveral titty bars look rough from the outside.

As a dirty civilian what does Fleet Week Entail and why is it a big deal?

I don't know because i didn't get to go but i can give you a trip report of the strip club 50 feet from the gate:

Went in at 11 am. People were there. Pitchers were $1.50, which was a miraculous rate even for 20 years ago.

Drank beer and got dances for 4 hours, the dancers were pretty and nice 10/10

titties
May 10, 2012

Crab dad, an e-6 at a new command: *casually calls up the commodore for a chat*

Me, an e-4 at a new command: *approaches my chief in in the pway* hey chief, i have something important next week and i need a day off

Chief: WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU SPEAKING TO ME YOU TALK TO YOUR LPO AND YOUR LPO SPEAKS TO ME IF NECESSARY

Me: oh, please excuse me, I've always reported to the chief in all my previous assignments

Chief: *never speaks another word to me*

titties fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 25, 2023

titties
May 10, 2012

Elviscat posted:

The Navy's so weird, when I was on shore duty I was encouraged to refer to the E8 senior enlisted dude and OIC by their first name.

Yelling at junior enlisted for talking to you, as a chief, is so loving toxic, and contrary to what a "Chief" is supposed to be.

Maybe i just caught him at a bad moment because he seemed pretty normal otherwise.

It was jarring to go from a "catch a beer and shoot pool a couple times a month with the chief" to "consult your LPO before you see the chief" kind of command.

titties
May 10, 2012

Yeah if there's anything that's worth an end- run past your own command and straight to SUBRON, that would be it.

titties
May 10, 2012

There was a chief working the gate at NOB who got Very Upset that i tried to drive onto the base while out of uniform.

Not because i was in civvies, but because i had my crackerjack pants and dress shoes on but my top and neckerchief were on a hanger in my back window. He had the gate guard direct me to pull over and rolled up on me to demand an explanation.

I told him that i had a dress whites inspection that morning and i didn't want my top to get wrinkled or dirtied by the seat belt.

He made me get out of my car and stand at attention on the median while he called the boat to tell them i was standing in my underwear in the middle of the road.

My chief had to come up from the pier to collect me.

titties
May 10, 2012

I always liked the 18 hour day tbh. 6 on, 6 off, 6 in the rack, and a meal each time you got up, went on watch, came off watch, and hit the rack. I gained 40 lbs

titties
May 10, 2012

The only time i was ever on a carrier it was for a tour my cub scout pack was given. It happened to be the ship my dad was on at the time, USS Ranger. Must have been around 6 months before she went through decommissioning.

As the last (iirc) non-nuclear aircraft carrier in service, Ranger was considerably smaller than modern carriers. Even so it seemed unimaginably vast to me as a little kid.

When i enlisted, that tour / lunch was what convinced me to choose the smallest boat i could manage to find a billet on. Carriers seem like a nightmare.

titties
May 10, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is Kittyhawk erasure.

Oops, i hope the uss kittyhawk accepts my sincere apology

Crab Dad posted:

I got lost on the constellation at age 16 when I was taking a tour as a sea scout and a chief bawled us out thinking we were lollygagging junior sailors because we were dressed the same back in 1993.

One time I saluted a mortified Sea Cadet. He was really respectful, addressed me as "petty officer", and told me he was just a Cadet.

All i saw was khakis and gold insignia. Why do they dress them like that lol

E: what is a sea scout?

titties
May 10, 2012

Crab Dad you gosh darn warmbody

Wasn't it like one year ago that i was teasing you for being a 40-year-old 2nd class?

Or maybe it was like 7 years ago i don't know any more

titties
May 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

For the reserves lol

I only got 10k enlistment bonus for active duty submarine service. Nice to see that the navy is at least outpacing inflation a little.