Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I used to walk through the decommed areas to get to the gate on the other side of the base because it was closer to the ferry terminal. Always neat to pass different ships in different stages of being prepped for scrapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Elendil004 posted:

So we'd been at sea for 28 days.

I am genuinely curious how many people from each command were still on the wrong cutter when both put to sea, and were quietly shuffled back and forth via small craft or helo after the hangovers cleared.

Not going to ask you to speculate, though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I had a guy I served with hit me up on messenger in what may have been a cocaine binge and he wanted me to move to northern California and work with him on a weed farm he was building, which isn't too wild, I guess, but this weed farm was going to be filled with tilapia fish and a bunch of tubes so the fish could fertalize the weed plants. Sounded a bit sketchy. Weed was also not legal at that time in California.

Aquaponics is a legit thing and tilapia is a great fish for it but I don't know enough about growing weed to know if that would work out well.

Apart from the legality issue, that is.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MonkeyFit posted:

What did you get at Teddy's?

Drunk, apparently.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cerekk posted:

The MM phase was trying to pretend they are mechanics who do ordnance stuff on the side instead of ordnancemen who have to do some mechanical stuff as part of their job but are very bad at it.

The best part was the couple years where they made all the MMs take the same rating exam and all of a sudden career A-gangers are getting asked about guidance wire splicing on their rating exams.

This happened when they merged HM and DT too. The next couple rating exams were heavily weighted toward dentistry and - weirdly - a whole section of questions about how to handle precious metals reclaimed from tooth fillings.

I feel worse for the dental techs who all of a sudden had to bone up on the entire rest of medicine though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only people probably less manageable than deck types are the hull techs.

As someone who was ignorant enough to sign on as GTEP for guaranteed HM school, this is 100% true, followed closely by the FN rates.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

If you're lucky enough to get Great Value quality.

Preferred entrée of Navy cooks everywhere for midrats.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

maffew buildings posted:

Congrats, you know more about the history of the NCF than 60% of Seabees

Our field training was predicated upon using Vietnam tactics and construction capability requirements as of 2019 so maybe the community just is a giant morass of sunk cost, racism and sexual assault

Well, you do have to keep some continuity with the rest of the Navy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grip it and rip it posted:

gently caress all Nuclear Commands and especially gently caress the Navy, forever and ever.

Amen

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm definitely getting some idea from context but what is the derivation of "Skipjack Dive Team"?

Best guess: is the barracks at some phase of nuke school training named after the submarine?

EDIT: vvvv Yeah, that's what I figured. vvvv

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2022

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Spare cover, spare keys, skateaway, that's all.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

:mods:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
At least they won't blame a turret detonation on him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Laranzu posted:

I do blame the Navy for my ability to crush 280mg+ caffeinated drinks and still fall asleep

This is an honest question, not smartassery: Have you ever been tested for ADHD? That's a pretty common thing since caffeine can have a very different effect than on people without it. Lots of ADHD folks self-medicate with shitloads of caffeine in one form or another before they're diagnosed because it has a similar effect to the meds that get prescribed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

M_Gargantua posted:

Please bully your junior sailors out of being dumb idiots with their health and money.

You can't bully water out of being wet.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Laranzu posted:

I had a totally bro Psychiatrist in Hawaii that treated me for ADHD and it was better. Technically never tested but during another screening it didn't show at all.

I do hit quite a few wickets for it. Probably should get the official test done to get back on the good drugs.

We got us a thread for chat and commiseratin': https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885798

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PneumonicBook posted:

You forgot the joy of midwatch vienna sausages

I will never eat canned ravioli again. Night after night of death pillows...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
This is going to end up like the Margarita Machine thread from back in the day and I am totally here for it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I asked once why the berthings were always kept so loving cold and the chief responded "to keep down the smell of fan. feet, rear end, and nuts."

FAN death is real.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1623707125087182850?s=20&t=K4W2r0G5hf8eaV7-mlLgnA

Nope, Big Navy says we can't have fun even back in the 50s

Edit: Could've been a worse top of page post, certainly could have been way better

I admit I winced watching them tumble all over that deck, but maybe nonskid wasn't the same skin-removing stuff back in 1956.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

McNally posted:

I'm not sure it even was nonskid in the day. I think it was just painted teak.

You're probably right, but that makes me curious about when nonskid became the universal deck coating. Imma dive down this rabbit hole real quick, I'll let you all know if I find anything out before I get bored with it.

EDIT: Best I can find on nonskid is "Various types of NSMs were procured from a number of suppliers since the 1960s." from here. The Hancock got an angled-deck rebuild in 1955, but didn't get an aluminum flight deck until '64. So yeah, at that point probably still painted teak over thin steel.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 10, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Elviscat posted:

I'm need to keep up on this thread better, I missed the chance to tell my story about the massive 50-rack scabies outbreak on my first boat that was the result of patronizing the fine establishments in Port Canaveral.

No you didn't.

:justpost:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Crab Dad posted:

Damned if you do damned if you don’t from that rear end in a top hat.

I use aye-aye all the time with everyone because it’s fun.

Fourteen years out and I still have a habit of repeat-aye-ing people. "Could you get me a fork?" "Fork, aye."

It gets me the occasional side-eye but trying to stop would be an annoying effort.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A.o.D. posted:

EABO is just one letter away from 'eat a bowl of dicks'.

lol, EABO'D

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Madurai posted:

This was a bad idea in the 1950s with the R3Y Tradewind, even before the engine issues, and it hasn't gotten better since.

Flying boats are sexy as all hell and it's a goddamn shame that they don't really have more of a place in aviation today.

The price of progress.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Carl Vinson was one of the chief reasons Congress pushed through the 1940 Two Ocean Navy Bill, which turned out to be quite important a year later, so no real objections on that accord. Stennis OTOH is a loving baffling choice and he was a pro-segregation Dixiecrat fuckhead.

He was fairly instrumental in funneling a shitload of Federal money at the military-industrial complex, which is always the Navy's favorite thing about a politician.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The boomer will have the full name USS District of Columbia. Not awkward at all.

They'll just call it the Deecee, but it will rapidly degenerate into the USS DEEZ NUTZ.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1641423794941341696?t=KGW7o_nVKeGfQMmvRjLJuw&s=19

No, not a great idea Big Navy. Hire people like me, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, or other actual therapists not more Chaps

It should be a requirement for military chaplains to also be an LPC or LCSW, or equivalent.

While I'm wishing, I'd like a pony.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I cannot imagine being underway and not smoking. Smoking was great because it dulled your sense of smell and everything smelled like stale smoke. A smell much better than the other stuff around!

I never smoked or dipped but when we went underway (old busted surface ship, didn't go anywhere longer than a few weeks usually) I used to make space in my coffin locker for a couple-three logs of Copenhagen. I would wait until a couple days after the ship's store ran out - which they always did - and then sell them for $5 a can.

Paid for my drinking money most ports.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
SA Forums > VFW > Navy Thread: NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP CRAB DAD!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cerekk posted:

Just gonna assume his wife is a brain surgeon who also does lingerie modeling.

Clancychat?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

M_Gargantua posted:

You can't do wind, solar, or battery for long haul cargo. Ocean is too big. At least the non-tesla electric semis are targeting the niche they're good for - last mile delivery.

I do like the kite sail idea for cargo ships to reduce fuel use. And there's a part of me that's sad that fully wind-powered sea transport isn't viable at the scale we need because there's something really neat about sailing ships.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hekk posted:

That would have been a lot funnier if he’d eased into it over a few posts instead of just kramering into the thread and immediately full bore making GBS threads all over everything.

There's no way that isn't someone's alt.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
We need a photoshop of the O-6 eagle with the arrows swapped out for a paperclip.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Something to keep in mind about houses in Japan is that they are built with a roughly 30 year lifespan in mind, then they're expected to get torn down and a new house built in the same spot. It's possible that those houses are being sold so cheaply because they're falling apart, and really you're just paying for the land. Caveat emptor.

https://www.archdaily.com/980830/built-to-not-last-the-japanese-trend-of-replacing-homes-every-30-years

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

McNally posted:

Go see Peter Pan Goes Wrong

This, holy poo poo all the Goes Wrong stuff is amazingly funny.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah I saw the main show in 2018. It was really fun.

I've seen that one twice - once on tour and once a local company's show, and just about all their other stuff on streaming. We usually pick one of their Christmas themed shows and watch it after family holiday dinners. Nothing like getting Christmas-dinner-drunk and laughing until you bust a gut.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

McNally posted:

They did some shows at Edinburgh Fringe right before I left and it was great.

:hellyeah:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TheWeedNumber posted:

So the dive team is just gonna turn into the kendo/anime team now?

It's not already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sentinel posted:

Everyone whose played Risk knows you can't hold Asia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5uDWvEzZYk