Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Steam: Nuclear Tourist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

TBeats posted:

finally beating ornstein and smough or whatever that duo's name is after like 150 tries was probably the most gratifying feeling of the entire game.

Can confirm that this was one of the most satisfying moments I've ever had in a video game.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 5, 2017

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Hmm. Elite looks and sounds really cool on paper.

How's the learning curve compared to EVE? I got about 30 minutes into that before I said nope and uninstalled it. Maybe I just have ADD.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone else here play Darkest Dungeon? I've sunk about 80 hours into it so far, extremely addicting but tough as nails.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I don't get the people who just post nonstop about games that they hate. Like I'm not a huge fan of Dark Souls but I don't poo poo up the thread.

I really liked Dark Souls but I can totally 100% see why people don't like it. It's like the Hitler Youth of games. When you've gone through the trouble of being indoctrinated you can't live without it.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

playing online shooters on pc is a nightmare anymore. ive aged out of em =/

Overwatch is the only online shooter I've ever really genuinely liked, but it feels like I've leveled up to the point of diminishing returns. Every time I go into a quick play game for some fun I get owned by teenagers souped up on energy drinks headshotting me from halfway across the map. It's like I'm suddenly in a skill bracket that's way out of my league.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Also purchased Starsector, looks awesome but have no idea what the gently caress is going on. Also crashes every time I try to play in full screen.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Bolow posted:

I am absolute loving garbage at Titanfall 2 though

All this talk about Titanfall 2 almost makes me want to give money to Electronic Arts which is something I haven't done since Mass Effect 2 came out.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

?

They haven't made a game that I've liked for a long time, is all.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I am really bad at Starsector.

I'm probably even worse.

But, if I learned to like Dark Souls I'm pretty sure I can figure this game out. I just need to summon the patience. And I realize that it's not a finished product or anything, but I hope they do an update at some point so I can run it in fullscreen without it crashing on me.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ded posted:

Mass Effect 2 was pretty much peak.

Blow poo poo the gently caress up? CHECK!
Punch reporter in the face? CHECK!
Punch insubordinate follower in the face AS A PARAGON? CHECK!
Push rear end in a top hat mook off a ledge to his death? CHECK!
Bad dancing? CHECK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOXR_0wO6GA&t=4s

I just looked at my Steam account and apparently I put 250 hours into ME2. That game was pretty much everything I wanted from a sci-fi action game. Played the demo of ME3 and it just didn't click with me at all for reasons I can't really figure out, I should probably give it another shot.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Finally convinced the wife to watch Sicario. She went all :stonk: during the scene where they cross from Juarez back into the US. Good times.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

As mentioned FTL is awesome, I thought Dungeon of the Endless was pretty fun too. :shrug:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The Rat posted:

Some of the novels are legit good too, but it's from a couple good authors. Most are not that great.

Dan Abnett who wrote the 40k Eisenhorn books also did Judge Dredd comics for 2000 AD so he gets a pass. They were really solid space adventure stuff that I thoroughly enjoyed, .

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

I'm rooting for the scrappy white Subaru on the outside.

Can't say I've ever been particularly excited about Subarus, but I just drove a WRX for the first time. That clutch is no joke. I'm pretty impressed with myself for not stalling it out.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The presequel was no bueno? I had a lot of fun with Borderlands 2 but never delved into the franchise deeper than that.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

orange juche posted:

The shooty bits were ok i guess but the whole story pretty much stunk. I guess borderlands was never really known for having a super strong story but eh. If its on sale pick it up i guess? I'd give 3 a pass at least at full price based on how they goobered up the presequel.

Well BL2 was like Indiana Jones and Starship Troopers filtered through Saturday Night Live or something, so I would be expecting the story to be dumb.

Gearbox is weird though, when they're good they make fantastic games but when they're bad they make absolute garbage.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Two Finger posted:

i remember someone in here saying sc2 was a gigantic flop

i thought the gameplay was ok but holy hell the plotting was goddamned terrible

Back in the late 90's, 19 year old me thought the story in SC1 was epic as gently caress, but that's probably nostalgia talking. SC2 felt like standard action sci-fi fare template 1A. I played through the campaign, uninstalled it, never touched it again.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

To this day the worst ending I've experienced in a video game was Knights of the Old Republic 2 back in 2005 or so. I'm usually not the kind of person who gets mad at video games but I still remember how powerful the urge was to throw my xbox out the window.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Death to PvP

Long live the co-op flesh

PvP can have its moments. Back during Wrath of the Lich King era WoW I had plenty of fun destroying Alliance pansies with my undead warlock. That was probably the last time I was really into PvP though.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'm playing the remastered Homeworld games and I find it hard to believe that I actually completed these games back in the late 90's/early 2000's. I must have been some sort of tactical tier 1 operator back then because some of these missions are brutally difficult.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Just played Overwatch for the first time in a couple of months and won three games in a row, felt real good spraying bullets in people's faces.

I realize that it was basically pure luck and I could just as easily have been owned hard by some sniper sperg from halfway across the map, but still.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

That's overwatch.txt, you win three games in a row, then lose 6. Can be extremely frustrating to play that game alone. Although, sometimes you get matched up with a good team

It's all diminishing returns at this point. I've reached a bracket where my alcohol-dulled 30-something reflexes can't keep up with teenagers souped up on Monster energy drinks. It was good fun for a while though.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I bought the special edition of World in Conflict back when it was first released. The game came in a big red cardboard box with the hammer and sickle embossed on the cover. Inside they had included a thimble-sized chunk of the actual Berlin Wall complete with cerificate of origin.

The game itself was pretty awesome if i remember correctly, or at least I thought so back in '07. I lost the box and the install cd's while moving at some point, but I still have the Berlin Wall souvenir on my desk.

That's my World in Conflict story.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone played Endless Space 2 yet? How does it stack up compared to Stellaris?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

New Xcom 2 expansion is looking sharp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bENBYSucQ

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Just got Shadow of Mordor and it looks super cool, but my god the Steam controller is awkward as gently caress to play on.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

just use a 360 controller :confused:

Yeah, that's what I'll do. This feels like I'm trying to perform brain surgery while wearing a pair of boxing gloves.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Steam sale kind of disappointing this year.

14 bux got me Shadow of Mordor and Dark Souls 2, I'm not complaining.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I tried doing doing a pure magic character once or twice. You're super squishy to begin with and you'll die a lot compared to the normal bow and stealth routine. But if you stick to your guns it's totally worth it. Being able to summon a giant fuckoff elemental that wipes out half a dungeon while you sit and squat in a corner is pretty hilarious.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Been playing the Titanfall 2 demo. This thing is pretty drat cool, might buy the whole thing. Is the campaign worth playing or is it one of those multiplayer focused games with a vestigial single player mode?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Godholio posted:

I enjoyed TF2's campaign more than any campaign since...I can't even remember.

This sounds promising.

I'm greatly enjoying turning people into aerosolized puffs of blood with that energy SMG. That's some District 9 level weaponry :xd:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Most likely Tabula Rasa, which came out around 2007-2008ish, and to no one's great surprise it flopped almost immediately after the Lord British hype train ran out of steam. Probably the first and last time you'll ever hear about that game.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I bought Titanfall 2 after playing through the demo a couple of times. It's been many years since I had this much fun with an FPS. This feels like I'm 50% John Wick and 50% that mech suit from District 9.

Yay for companies that are confident enough to still make game demos I guess.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

:sad:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

And Frontier Defense 2.0 loving owns holy crap

Played a few rounds with random people, it's a lot of fun. I have yet to git gud at Titanfall 2 but if anyone wants to add me I'm Nuketourist on Origin.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

:saddowns:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'm still experimenting with different titans. I've mostly been playing tone which was my favorite loadout in single player. In frontier defense however the terrain tends to cause my missle salvos to crash uselessly into walls a lot as the AI titans move around corners.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Titanfall 2 single player is p good so far.

It's a really cool campaign. On the shorter side, but really cool.

I'm liking frontier defense the more I play it. Locking on to half a dozen targets with Tone and unleashing a firehose of homing missiles is very, very satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Playing a round of frontier defense in Titanfall 2 is a good way to unwind after having dealt with morons at work/school all day, I've found.

Edit: I like it because it's basically a really neat version of tower defense. I don't have the reflexes needed to be decent at actual T2 multiplayer.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 11, 2017