Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Johnny Walker posted:

My most mysterious letter was one I got last year:

What kind of piano information short of "There is one falling down towards where you are sitting right now" could possibly be important to me?

Don't leave us hanging!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

I actually didn't open the thing for months, because I knew the reality would probably be less interesting than the possibilities for what the letter could possibly be about that I made up in my head, and I was right.

They were selling pianos, supposedly at a really good price, but I don't know going-rates on pianos. I don't know why I am on a mailing list for buying pianos.

I figured it'd be something stupid they were trying to trick you into opening, but wow, that's disappointing.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze has its priorities out of order.

Getting married? Having a child? What are these bizarre concepts this man speaks of? (I do get the joke and all, but when two out of three things he listed are stuff anybody should understand, it falls pretty flat.)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Slammy posted:

And He Did. (November, 1915)

... what?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (May, 1916)

I'm kind of surprised at this point there's anyone who would still willingly try to talk to Everett if he hadn't seen them first.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

More to the point: we're talking about a 25% chance to... do what exactly? Ace the SAT? Cause boy is the chance to do that by random guess lower than 25%.

... Kelley and Parker do know it's not a binary pass/fail test, right?

25% chance to get any given question right.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

There's something wonderful about Newspaper Spider-Man immediately worrying about Ronan not being able to breathe with his helmet off when the whole reason he took it of was because Ronan needed it to breathe.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze managed to go this long without making a Monty Python reference.

Do they have to answer the riddles to get out of the break room? Because the guy getting sapped is already inside it.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is neither, it's stupid.

Opposites as in "Daleks aren't robots?" Surely the "look at us we're so geeky" guys writing this comic didn't forget that...

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Luann is kind of amazing. College-age people running into high school problems and reacting to them like they're middle school age.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

OK that's a little too specific there, Mary.

Unless I'm mistaken and people routinely get stuck in public beach restrooms, which I don't believe is the case.

Only someone who was involved in the nefarious plot would take an innocent suggestion of "see if she's in the bathroom" to mean "she might be stuck." Book him, Alfie!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

It's other people posting the pictures, right? ("After someone's posted a picture" not "after she's posted a picture.") So how is Photoshop going to help?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I think you can actually say you love your wife out loud. It's OK to do that. It shouldn't be a huge step for you.

Heh, "No, baby, you've got it all wrong! Yes I was making eyes at and kissing and who knows what else with that other woman, but I'm not in love with her!"

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Tracksuit

It is surprisingly difficult to remember how to spell MacGyver's name.

This is amazing.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I normally skip 9 Chickweed so I went to GoComics to see if it made sense in context, but it didn't seem to - he called the company 27 times to see a text chat on his computer screen? This seems like a weird confusion between doing a support chat on their site and calling the customer service line.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

'I thought I'd never be able to defeat him. Then I tried hitting him.'

This one took me a moment, but it's really good.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze reminds you that Wonder Woman is a movie that exists.

Huh. I'm glad you said that - I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet so this made no sense and I didn't even know it was a reference to something.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

This is fantastic and made me giggle like an idiot.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I really liked the edits where more and more milk cartons kept popping up around Diet Smith. (And also the not edited ones where some amount of money in a briefcase kept changing every day and then I think the last story where the guy was in the back seat of a car and it took like 2 months to go off a bridge or something.)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

So this whole thing is basically "Escape Room: The Comic Strip" I guess.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

My brain registered this as one image:

That's how I saw it and I wasn't sure if it was on purpose.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

"Believe it or not, a product called 'Banana Ketchup' is made with bananas!" They should do one on tomato ketchup next.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

This idea may have been raised in the thread before and I forgot about it, but reading this Dustin made me think that the guys writing the strip don't really understand the difference between a temp agency and a recruiter/head hunter, do they? Because what's we see is Dustin always taking any job he can get, no matter how menial or brief, but it's always presented as he's such a lazy bum that he can't hold down a job.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I can't help but wonder what those two panels would look like in an actual newspaper.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Haifisch posted:

2002 Spiderman

Heh, “I can’t let them know Spider-Man was here. Now, to shoot webbing all over the place, they’ll never know it was me!”

(And yes, I know his webbing dissolves/evaporates after a while, but he knew the police were already on the way.)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Mister Beeg posted:

That strip is the only canon appearance of Booker and Sheldon's mom. We never see her again after that one strip.

The way you specified that worries me. Do you know of non-canon appearances?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

[quote="“Slammy”" post="“476302623”"]
Mr. Tweedy (August, 1970, click for big)

[/quote]

I don’t get it. Is it showing us 3 women in the office and he’s gone back to watching construction so he’s not watching the office women anymore?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Command Ant posted:

The women are plain-looking and dressed modestly.

[quote="“Nenonen”" post="“476310032”"]
Mini skirts are out of office fashion.
[/quote]

D'oh. Thanks.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

[quote="“Some Guy TT”" post="“476420559”"]
Whoa wait what Baldo is dating his teacher? Huh?
[/quote]

... no. He’s playing off her saying she’s giving him an A for flattery.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

... um, what?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Haifisch" posted:

I guess that whole plot point about "I have to use this goblet since it holds the exact right amount to drink" got thrown out the window.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Newspaper Spider-Man is amazing. As Peter: I want to be inconspicuous, so I'll climb this wall in broad daylight. As Spider-Man: Look, Aunt May!

I just wish I could tell if it's a brilliant writer doing a good job with an idiot character or an idiot writer doing a terrible job with a brilliant character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

This comic is weirdly incomprehensible to me sometimes. What's going on in the Haiku one?

• Locked thread