Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

13th Age's Fighter is really, really fuckin boring no matter how it might have come about or what its design may be in response to. "Oh I rolled even on this attack that didn't hit, I get +2 to my AC for a turn, that's so fascinzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."

I really like the concept of how it works in theory (roll first, figure out what happens later) but because of the number of maneuvers actually in the system, the number you get at a time, and the fact that most of them are pretty un-flashy, you end up not having any choices as to what you can do when you roll whatever hit/miss odd/even combo so it ends up being a lot of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I legitimately can't remember if it's ever been stated anywhere, was the idea of doing a Pathfinder MMO Lisa Stevens' or Dancey's? Because I wonder if Stevens isn't kicking herself at missing a chance to jump on the isometric CRPG revival that's happened in the years since what with Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, the upcoming Numenera game, Wasteland 2, etc, and now she's stuck trying to spin poo poo into gold because if she simply washed her hands of the whole affair it would cause the suckers who bought into it to revolt.

There's no way it wasn't Dancey's idea.

Dec 26, 2012

Slack is good but I didn't really consider it for games because I use it so much for work.

Dec 26, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Slack is very useful but I would find it more trustworthy if I could actually afford the pay option. I could do a flat fee, but $5/users isn't going to work for me, especially since it rules out the possibility of people dropping in to watch or join the chat for general chattiness.

What makes the free version untrustworthy?

Dec 26, 2012

In this case it's more that if you aren't paying for it you're not getting things businesses might want (like SSO). For the purpose we're talking about the free stuff will totally work well, and if it craps out in a year then who cares?

Dec 26, 2012

Doodmons posted:

It works fine on my lovely-rear end years old phone so probably yes. The lack of permanent archiving in the free option sucks a bit if your game is going to last ages. I'd be tempted to switch to Discord if it's just Slack with permanent archiving but one of my friends is convinced that the people who run Discord must be selling personal data to ad companies because otherwise their business model makes no sense and refuses to use it.

Sometimes companies just have models that don't make sense. But yeah Discord and Slack are very similar.

Dec 26, 2012

Bills ain't gonna pay themselves.

Dec 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

This is absolutely something that should be on the company's website. Cut-down quickstart rules + pregen characters + potted adventure + overview of the world + lots of worked examples in a free PDF.

http://fraggedempire.com/#anchor_free_downloads They seem to have a decent amount of that down anyhow.

Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, the layout for FE is ridiculously good. There's some stuff that gets put in weird places (it took me far too long to figure out where the hell maximum Endurance is, for example - it's under "Defence" in the combat section) but otherwise it's pretty easy to figure out what things do and there are lots of places where there are internal links/page references to other parts of the book.

The combat action-breakdown section is arguably the most concise I've seen in a game:

Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Yeah sure, waiting for the new one to come, Intelligent Systems is sure to make one this year instead of yet another loving FE. :qq:

RIP.

Dec 26, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Is he wrong. IS he wrong. IS he loving wrong. Is h-

He's'nt.

Dec 26, 2012

Dec 26, 2012

Cascade Jones posted:

How are the Nemesis rules any different from " GM gives the villain an uninterruptable cut scene to introduce a complication, then the players can act"?

Also:

is always a goddamn lie.

I mean, the system in question can be better without being good

Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

80s anime aesthetic ftw

Dec 26, 2012

Countblanc posted:

i seriously do not see what's wrong with GMs as a service if no one wants to do it

There's nothing wrong with it in general, people who do it in dumb or weird ways aside.

Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Split Dexterity into Aim and Balance. The Boston Bomber had high Aim, but not high Balance.

Dexterity vs. Agility, perhaps?

Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

That was an AD&D Skills & Powers reference

Yeah I probably should have expected there would be several ways that circle has been squared already

Dec 26, 2012

Hell yeah

Dec 26, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's a combat sample on the kickstarter's page here if you want an idea. It looks like the game uses abstracted ranges similar to 13th age with adjacent/nearby/far being the key distances.

This looks pretty good on a quick scan. I definitely like the diceless setup.

Dec 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

"There’s boring, there’s bad, and then there’s “Bright,” a movie so profoundly awful that Republicans will probably try to pass it into law over Christmas break."

I won't bother linking any full reviews of the movie because nothing can top that line.

Dec 26, 2012

He rules

Dec 26, 2012

Nickoten posted:

Didn't 13th Age's system let you decide how much of the total bonus they'd get to apply, based on how on-point it was? That seems like an easy solution.

Not by default unless I missed something. My table houseruled that in pretty quick though and that helped a bit, though pretty much everyone who knew what they were doing still took a +5 and +3 and mostly leaned hard on the +5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, the process of arguing with your players whether or not they get their full bonus just gets exhausting when you can stretch a thing to cover almost anything.

• Locked thread