Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Innuendo, more like in-your-end-o.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

The problem for WB is that a lot of people left those theaters saying, "I don't know if I want to see a sequel." We might have another Divergent situation where they're committed to keep making these films that are going to wind up sinking lower and lower with each movie.

The next one is going to have Dumbledore though, right? That'll probably get some people back.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

There is no way BvS wasn't in the black before it started rolling, but it was a failure despite making $873 million because it should have made double that. It had the two most recognizable super heroes worldwide in the same title for the first time ever and was a flagship movie intended to launch a franchise of multiple films a year, instead it had so much bad word of mouth that probably cost them hundreds of millions, caused desperate reshoots on Suicide Squad that turned it into some sort of Frankenstein film, and reverberated down the chain (Suicide Squad had its own, unrelated problems as well!) I don't know how much it affected Wonder Woman, but you can see the tone shift in the Justice League trailer that tries to make it more light-hearted. I'm guessing both of those films will still be a mess, but for different reasons, and it will take another year plus before someone rights their ship and two more years before we see the results in theaters. I also think Flash will be a breakout role in Justice League but his solo movie is being bungled like crazy right now so they won't be able to capitalize on it properly and he'll pop up in some random film like Shazaam.

BvS finished 6th for the year, and that's only because the year ended before Rogue One pulled ahead of it. More money doesn't mean it's a better movie, but the failure is entirely failing to live up to its potential because the film and franchise are fundamentally flawed, something the studio recognized only after the film was released and poisoned the well for future entries. Suicide Squad achieved success in spite of BvS's failure, and from what I saw the better parts appeared to be parts reshot to make the film less dark.

You're only wrong in the part where you said there are better parts of Suicide Squad. That entire movie is a dumpster fire from top to bottom. Except Jai Courtney, weirdly enough.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Renoistic posted:

He had some jokes but nothing close to what he's known for today,

Yeah, it wasn't until the Kelly run that he really became the funny guy. He also came up with all the backstory and such that was in the movies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Haha, wait, what? How could anyone even argue this? What does that even mean?

You don't need to tie Suicide Squad to Trump to prove it's a loving awful piece of poo poo. The movie does that just fine itself.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Rebel Wilson isn't really believable as taking poo poo from anyone. If whoever they cast as the Steve Martin character in this tried to mess with her she would snap them in half.

If they don't get The Mooch to play the dentist they've failed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dark Tower is a good (not great, just good) movie where all I could see on the screen was 90 minutes of wasted potential and regret that this is all they're ever going to make of it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Just make Matt McConnaughey Randall Flagg for The Stand already drat.

They only ever call him Walter, so I wonder if there's a rights thing going on there. I was expecting a thing where they said he had many names and that to get dropped, but nada.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So it sounds like it's a good movie if, like the vast majority of people, you give absolutely no fucks about those books.

Yeah, basically. The lovely thing is it's a franchise you easily could have found middle ground and had something that appealed to the mass audiences while still giving the fans of the book something. They made some smart choices, like making Jake the main character, and not directly adapting The Gunslinger, which would make a fuckin' terrible mess of a movie if you tried. But they also didn't go quite weird enough, crammed too much poo poo into it, and it should have been rated R and about 30 minutes longer.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

gunslinger is pretty good (the unrevised version anyway) and might be king's best book. each book is worse than the last (and there's a marked drop in quality after the 4th book) tho so it's good you bowed out.

double LOL

i thought someone was trolling yesterday when they told me jake was the main character.

Gunslinger works as a book because it allows you into Roland's head and gives you time to take in this weird fantasy cowboy apocalypse world. The movie doesn't have that luxury unless it's a 3 and a half hour long LOTR style epic, and even then would have instantly alienated all non book fan viewers.

It's also structurally super weird and even with the rest of the books not super consistent. Like Roland in that book barely seems like Roland in the other books, with all the loving and what not. He's a rough sketch of a character that King didn't nail down until Drawing of the Three.

So yeah, streamlining it and making Jake the main character as an entry point was a smart idea. But they just didn't execute on it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

the first book is mostly just a western with some mutants in it. as far as i remember anyway.

It's also got all the king Arthur stuff, the weird slang, the idea of time and space being broken, the world possibly being the afterlife, and that fuckin psychedelic ending.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Can you refresh my memory on this one?

He and Fett are in on the Han poo poo in Empire and Jedi.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Total Recall.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JW2 doesn't explicitly say this, but I get the feeling that the assassination poo poo is incredibly common place in it, which is really funny and I love.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mother is the closest I've ever come to having a panic attack.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

syscall girl posted:

I saw Requiem for a Dream in the theater with three friends. Two of them agreed with me that throwing themselves off the balcony had occurred to them.

Requiem made me want to die from depression, but Mother had me literally squirming in my seat and fighting the urge to flee the room due to how uncomfortable parts of it made me feel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mean, a biopic of someone known to be a pedophile when it was made.

There's that Ted Bundy movie, but I'm not sure if it still counts as pedophilia if they're dead.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

That was a personal passion project. I guess if he was absolutely in love with a character he might.

"Fine, I'll make your loving Iron Man movie, but I get full creative control on Stilt-Man: Origins."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd pay a lot of money to see Lord & Miller's original version. Everything I've seen since Howard took over looks boring and uninspired.

So like a Ron Howard movie, then?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Good News, Taken is actually coming back for a second season. I didn't make it past the second episode myself

e: also the Lethal Weapon TV show is actually pretty good

I checked out of Lethal Weapon after the first episode when Riggs' wife gets killed by a truck because she's not paying attention to the road and instead stroking her pregnancy stomach.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

jokes on you it turned out her death was a planned hit and not the result of not paying attention to the road and instead stroking her pregnancy stomach.

No reason for it to even happen though, as she clearly would have Darwined herself regardless.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

In the movies it turns out she was killed by one of the South Africans from the second film who also kills Patsy Kensit, that's probably too 80s to work now but I haven't watched the show to see what they did instead.

I've only used MoviePass twice as I've been too tired the past week to go out late at night, but that already means I'm ahead and thanks to the chain cinemas here showing Chinese, Indian, and Filipino movies there is always something to go to even if the mainstream stuff is awful.

Also free South Africa, you dumb son of a bitch!

Yeah the reasoning in the movie was great, which confused the gently caress out of me that it seemed like the show wasn't using it. You could set up a multi season thing using that poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They make a deal with the devil to bring Han back to life but have to sacrifice one of their own to take his place. Everyone looks at Roman and he does that confused, hurt expression he always does when getting dunked on, then disappears into a cloud of smoke and fire, replaced by Han.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I can't buy Shannon being mistaken for an ape man when he is standing next to Ron Pearlman.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Super Fan posted:

The Resident Evil movies are legit brilliant trash cinema.

The last one felt like they were phoning it in, but the two before it were very, very good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

"They called me Mr. rear end :pervert:"

The Billy Gunn story.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Isn't Christian Bale an abusive lunatic who once literally beat up his own mother? I don't think he's going to have to do that much work to play evil.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This looks incredibly stupid, but also like a lot of fun.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

well why not posted:

Can't wait for the SHAFT: Origins re-reboot that shows the first-ever Shaft.

Django Unchained already exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Humans have become a lot weaker and more sedentary since then. But still, there's no way they'd wipe us out.

Yeah but we also have tanks and automatic weapons.

• Locked thread