Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Blade Runner will be fine because they got a good director and it's not like Star Wars where they're going to try for some broad easily digestible film. I'm sure they want it to make billions of dollars but I think they know it can do that while also being a smart and cool sci-fi film, much like Minority Report (also based on PKD) was.

Yeah, but what the Hell is it even going to be about? If any science fiction movie DIDN'T leave hooks for a sequel it's that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

I just wish they'd spend a bit of it on giving her a new theme instead of that god awful one they used for her in Superman vs. Batman.

I didn't even like BvS but that theme was good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if they've even started working on it, but even if they have it's a process that will take years.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was originally slated for release in May 2015 so it got held back nearly two years.

And here's the report on the test screening:

Okay I really want to see the original design. (Though I wonder if some of the kids were REALLY little- like 1 or 2- and that biased the result somewhat.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

I think people are forgetting how hyped that movie was coming out of Sundance. It was right during the #OscarsSoWhite stuff and everyone was looking for a big black movie to get some awards and Birth of a Nation fit the bill, to the point where it sold for more money than any other movie out of Sundance, ever. I think it would have been in the awards pictures if not for its rapist actor/director/writer.

It didn't help that the reviews were basically "Well, it's good." Obviously it's possible the controversy clouded things but few people were going to bat for it as a top movie of the year.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
ISTR hearing that Bay is IRL a Republican voter and all- though I suppose even he might be thinking "Okay Trump's a bridge too far".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is officially the part of nerd movies that even I don't give a poo poo about.

If a movie I like makes money and that means they make more movies like it, good. If not, too bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The X-Men movies are all kinda messy but that's inevitable given the source material. It's all about just how interesting the chaos is, and some of the time it works.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

shakespeare in love beat saving private ryan.

SIL is a good movie though.

You can argue that Ryan is a better film but so much of the controversy seems predicated on the idea that "Serious War Movie > Light Romantic Comedy" as opposed to actually comparing quality.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Crash is not a bad movie but it is very marginally OK. Some scenes are effective, others really not at all- the major problem is how much you can feel the script forcing things.

Do the Right Thing is really dead on in how it shows racial tensions just festering and erupting and by comparison, in Crash people just seem to argue and get in violent confrontations because the script needs them to. There's a great cast and I like the atmosphere but something about how the people act rings false.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Waterworld is also good though. Not great but decent.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It has its moments, but those are largely down to Margot Robbie and Will Smith.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
If WB were truly committed to the artistic vision of Zack Snyder or whoever that would be one thing, but the major problem is they panic and interfere in really extreme ways at the last minute. Like the problems of BvS are entirely down to the script being over complicated and the Cinematic Universe material being really shoehorned in, etc. Suicide Squad has a lot of good material put together in this odd way that doesn't play it to its strengths.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Wasn't the original Godzilla origin story that it was a mutated t-rex/stego hybrid, or something?

In the original film Yamane doesn't name any species but hypothesizes it was a sort of amphibious offshoot of the dinosaur (hence breathing underwater), living in some deep undersea cave until atomic testing destroyed its food supply and forced it to the surface.

There's obviously some mutation with the radioactivity and the fire breathing, though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think with modern CGI you could more easily have Kong be notably smaller than Godzilla and have to leap around and be very cagey and cunning. Suitmation works best when the monsters all fit a set scale, but this is basically animation so you could do some cool stuff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Mustached5thGrader posted:

King Kong is like Tarzan or Robin Hood, there's literally no reason for it to be relevant in 2017. Nothing interesting about it

What part of "giant ape" is uninteresting to you?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Apes of all sizes are cool, hence why the Planet of the Apes movies also rule.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Speed Racer was great, Cloud Atlas was great, Jupiter Ascending is very flawed but also charming. I think it would have worked better if it wasn't pitched as a Big Epic Space Opera since at heart it's really more like Labyrinth- a girl who hates her life enters a fantasy world and learns her value and what's important and so on. As it is, it's still kinda fun.

The Wachowskis always go for broke on what they do and that makes them good. I even think the Matrix sequels are interesting movies, though there's something that makes them less than satisfying as sequels.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Cloud Atlas is about how it's worth doing the right thing even in the most seemingly futile and pointless of circumstances- everything counts. Agree with that point or not (it's not the kind of pure existentialism that's more intellectually acceptable these days), it's very sincere in that point. And it's one of the few films to try and follow the precedent of Griffith's Intolerance, and tell a story set across multiple times and places through sheer editing, linking scenes through emotional movement more than literal cause and effect.

I'd even argue that the makeup plays into this- it's supposed to be kind of obvious, these are supposed to be the same people, echoing throughout time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
To be sure the "traditional" sex scene (to the extent that it's ever been that common, and this is questionable) is usually just kind of a pleasant little interlude and then on with the show, but hey, I'll accept that.

Also good trailer over all, has a Modesty Blaise vibe to it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Battleship was a good flick.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A) You misunderstood his post. Casting in individual movies is fairly unimportant. The question is how you read that casting.

It's notable because if even the roles that are based on characters that are Asian to start with aren't open to people of Asian decent, what the Hell chance do they have of getting a lead role that wasn't written with a particular race in mind? It's not the most important thing but it's sort of a visible thing- it's the most visible symptom.

Basically it's hard enough to prove racial discrimination in employment in other fields which are under more scrutiny, because it's always possible for an HR guy to say "what can I say, they interviewed poorly", but Hollywood has always enjoyed more of an exemption on the grounds of subjectivity and creative integrity and so on. So when you have, in plain view, studios saying "We know this character was non-white originally but minorities just aren't profitable"- well that's a sign.

It's not a "barometer of progress" but that doesn't mean nothing should be done about it. Unless you're one of those who believes it's impossible to care about more than one thing at a time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Right, so the enemy has been identified as Dreamworks Pictures - which is owned by Amblin Partners and, in turn, co-owned by NBCUniversal, EOne, and several others.

And the solution is obvious: we must destroy these companies. Cleanse the Earth of them. Burn them to the ground.

At this point the question becomes: what excuse do you have for not doing the obvious?

What excuse do you have? I don't see you fighting the power.

(Yeah, yeah, bot programmed to speak the truth, we've all got excuses.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

You should already know that I have an even better solution: full communism now. You should already know that I have been engaged in ideological critique.

So what are you doing to bring that about?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

You should definitely already know that I have been engaged in ideological critique.

So, posting messages on a declining comedy forum.

Just saying, those who live in glass houses, etc.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
WWE's movie division was losing money at some point, but they changed strategies so that a lot of the films they invest in now, they're just kicking in a small amount of cash along with a bunch of other investors. Like they backed Oculus.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

I misread that as Beethoven's Treasure Trail :heysexy:

My favorite weird "so much better than this" FMV game casting is still John Goodman starring an FMV parody of Myst called...Pyst :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fekpJwwfYd8

poo poo and that was directed by Peter Bergman and featured voice work from the entire Firesign Theater. What the Hell happened there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And there STILL isn't any kind of Region 1 video release.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
LDR 2: All You Need is Kill

Hell, pull a Road Warrior and don't even make it clear that it's a sequel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wasnt it released in Australia as Mad Max 2?

I think that was most of the world- just that in the US, Mad Max did merely okay for a B movie (there was apparently dubbing which didn't help) so Warner Bros. decided to start fresh.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
You know, Edge of Tomorrow/LDR getting a sequel is starting to make me think there's a real upside to Hollywood's current desperation for franchises.

If that movie (or something equivalent) had come out in 2004, and done similar business, the studio would just think "Okay, that didn't make quite enough money, we didn't lose our shirts but still let's move on."

Now, ANY chance that a studio has at a franchise must be explored. We're getting an Edge of Tomorrow sequel, a Pacific Rim sequel, all because, hey, it made *some* money so maybe we'll make more next time!

Like we're not gonna see Lone Ranger 2 but it's kind of interesting nonetheless.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
New director and star, sure, that's okay, it never seemed like Hellboy 3 was a big priority.

But the R rating is a bit odd- the comic isn't really aimed at kids but it's not loaded with blood, sex, or even much swearing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
A thing about capitalism is businesses don't actually respond that quickly to changes in the market. They hang on to received wisdom and are subject to all sorts of confirmation bias. If Wonder Woman performs at or over expectations it may or may not lead to more female-led tent poles, but if it underperforms at all it'll be "proof" that female superheroes don't sell.

Movies are especially unpredictable, so executives, especially those who come from other industries, try to lean on anything that seems like a hard and fast rule.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if this is what it's looking like, and all the callous stuff Prime did in previous movies wasn't just action movie badassery but a setup to him going evil... then bravo, Michael Bay. That's actually clever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Tars Tarkas posted:

I guess this was a video game? Now it is an inferior Them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumQ6XaL6kA

Some people should not be allowed to perform color grading.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe DC wanted to save Talky Tawny for the Shazam franchise.

Anyway, Mamma Mia! is getting a sequel, subtitled "Here We Go Again". Are there really enough Abba songs left? I know they didn't do Fernando but they're going to have to start in on the deep cuts.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I do because I want to see more Alien films.

I doubt Fox will ever close the door on the franchise entirely. They're kinda dedicated to continuing to do something with it one way or another.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Even with CGI, I imagine movies set mostly on the ocean are still a logistical pain.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So anyway apparently advance reviews for The Mummy are not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly if you look at the franchise history the Enterprise gets clowned on a LOT.

TMP- it's introduced with lots of fanfare, then the transporter malfunctions and kills two people, then the first attempt at warp speed goes wonky, then for the rest of the movie it's dwarfed by the giant robot space probe.

TWOK- Crippled in the first attack, it's brutally scarred and functioning at half capacity the rest of the movie.

Search for Spock- Gets blowed up good.

The Voyage Home- Pops up at the end.

The Final Frontier- Running gag about how nothing works on the drat thing. Is severely threatened by one Bird of Prey.

Undiscovered Country- Again is almost completely crippled by Chang's ship, needs Excelsior's help.

Generations- Enterprise-B is woefully incomplete, Enterprise-D gets blown up by a lucky shot from the Klingon sisters.

First Contact- Okay, here it does kinda well, despite being nearly completely taken over by the Borg.

Insurrection- there's some space battle, honestly I forget

Nemesis- Ugggggggghhhhhhhh

'09- Nemo's ship is again an overwhelming monstrosity, all the photography emphasizes the Enterprise as the smaller, more agile ship, almost Star Wars-y.

Into Darkness- Comes very, VERY close to being destroyed.

So yeah, the Enterprise basically exists to get heavily damaged.

• Locked thread