Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I've never watched the movies so all i know is "vampires vs werewolves, kate beckinsale in a skintight suit".

The first movie was actually based on the writer's (Kevin Grievous) experiences with interracial dating. Underworld: Rise of the Lycans also have one of the goofiest sex scenes ever filmed:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAq1hL2in4k (not very nws, but its still probably not a good idea to watch it work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

I want Jerry Seinfeld to start playing villains

"Begin"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY7PHXkXOCw

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry if it's been talked about at length and I missed it, but what sort of audience are they gunning for with Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets?

The comic is incredible popular in Europe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd recommend looking up some of the Valerian and Laureline comics, they're really excellent pulp sci-fi. Very goofy in the same way that The Fifth Element was. I'd recommend Circles Of Power, it's my personal favourite and it's the one that The Fifth Element ripped off.

Considering that the artist from that comic was the one who provided concept art I wouldn't call it "ripped off".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Define "incredibly popular". Is that among the general public, or specifically people who are into comic books? I think I might have heard of it once, though I didn't realize that until I looked up the Danish name of the series just now.

Its one of the top five selling french comics. You should check out the danish editions btw, they have a lot of extra material like scetches and articles about comic and the creators.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Being popular in terms of French comic books doesn't necessarily mean it has a ton of cultural cachet with the general European public does it? Sorta like how in terms of American comic book heroes, only a few had any presence in the public's awareness, largely born out of their television versions.
In France comics has a ton of cultural cachet with the general public though.

quote:

Which is not to say the movie can't be successful, but counting on comic book fans to carry the movie doesn't seem like a great idea.
Relying on just the fans of a book or comic to carry the movie probably isn't going to work for anything (besides Harry Potter I guess), but this isn't some obscure property with no public interest.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

France, despite French perceptions, is not Europe.
Comics has a ton of cultural cachet in other european countries too. Like in my country where the resistance risked their lives to smuggle in fresh comic strips during the war and it's mainstream enough to justify a library solely dedicated to comics

quote:

e: Though a belief that it basically is would explain confidence in the series' popularity across Europe, ensuring that the movie would have a lot of interest behind it in a major movie market right from the start in the mind of decision makers.
Valérian and Laureline has been published in a lot of countries in Europe so that's not completely unreasonable.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, Vice is expanding their media empire to distributing movies. The Bad Batch, previously mentioned in this thread, got picked up and a trailer dropped a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUqfP1S-9ok

And for some reason the second cannibal movie in short time that Keanu Reeves have starred in.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

If they ever decide to make Bond movies fun again Gerard Butler could be an interesting choice.

Gerard Butler is the least interesting choice in anything.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Erm, but it's called the FINAL Chapter???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XV

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Guys you aren't thinking right abiut this King Kong vs Godzillia fight. What if King Kong had a gun

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

If have it on good authority that there are only three real monsters: Dracula, Blacula, and Son of Kong.

There's actually only one real monster.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There was a point early on in Season 2 of LOST where people were theorizing Michelle Rodriguez was playing a character off her usual role and then the very first flashback of her character revealed that she was a hardass female cop arguing with her hardass female cop mother, and I actually remember laughing at how she was basically never going to play anything different.

She doesn't really want to play anything else:

Michelle Rodriguez posted:

I was typecast the minute I did a film called Girlfight years ago [...] you allow yourself to be typecast. If I decided I didn't want to be typecast tomorrow, I'd just go do an indie film where I play some poor girl who goes through some excruciating experience and win myself an award for crying or being raped or playing someone with mental illness. But at the end of the day, I'm not in it for the acting. If I were in it for the acting then I would be worried about people not giving me the opportunity to express my vast array of emotions on the screen.
I only wanna be someone I respect or someone that I consider interesting or fun. I'm here to entertain people and make a statement about female empowerment and strength, and that's what I've done for the last 10 years [...] I pigeonholed myself and I put myself in that box by saying no to everything else that came on my plate [...] saying no to this, no to that [...] and eventually I just got left with the strong chick that's always being killed, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Honestly I don't see what the big deal is, plenty of male actors (like Jason Statham) also only plays hardasses and no one really bring that up as much.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Or put both of them in a zombie siege/Assault on Precinct 13 style movie with a bunch of other actors but subvert it by making them the only ones who live.

Directed by Gary Oldman.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

K. Waste posted:

Doesn't explain InAPPropriate Comedy.

But then again, not even a pact with the devil could explain that movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

The These People Die A Lot cinematic universe.

The only movies known to spontaneously combust when you watch them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sean Bean and Michelle Rodgriguez are partners in...TWO WEEKS TO RETIREMENT.

Rirse posted:

Shame John Hurt is gone or we could had him be their mentor.

A movie where a character dies every tenth minute.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

only if the player is bad at a not very hard video game

At the start of the 2013 game you get impaled regardless of how good a video game player you are.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 28, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Ah yes. A decade ago, the 1950s

Will Smith had to carefully calculate which ethnicity his love interest should have in Hitch so people would watch the movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If anyone wants examples of biracial couples in movies here's some handy lists of examples going back to 1915:
395 movies with black women/white men couples
175 movies with black men/white women couples

Of course many of those depictions were problematic in some way:

You think?
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman"
"Junkie white girl ‘sold’ to black drug dealer"
"White woman in blackface has an affair with Abolitionist Senator; “the great leader's weakness that is to blight a nation.”
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman marries white man"
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman; her “secret” past almost wrecks her marriage to white man Barrymore"
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman “passes” for white"
"“Tragic Mulatto” played by white woman Gardner. Lena Horne had the part, until MGM chief Louis B. Mayer stepped in and refused to show a real interracial couple onscreen"
"Light-skinned black character played by white woman (Lombard is a mix of Lakota, Russian, and Swiss)"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Don't forget that alien guy from Star Wars 7 in the upper right corner.

If you only knew how it ironic it is to accusing Valerian for plagiarizing Star Wars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Hellboy 2 was basically a PG-13 remake of Blade II so I guess they figured they'd go all out for this.

Wait, what?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

got any sevens posted:

Ragtag group fights evil prince who threatens to disrupt the current order

Hamlet was basically a remake of Blade II.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Saint of Killers goes to hell and kills the devil.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

S

I forget, do the Predators actually eat people/aliens/etc.?

In Predator 2 the predator goes to a meat locker to eat, so probably not.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the checklist of what people expect from the movie is pretty short

And yet they keep insisting on inserting some boring love interests in the movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I just saw it, it wasn't bad or anything. It was exactly what I have come to expect from a Disney live action movie in the same vein as the new Star Wars/Marvel. It was OK with the action, some fine humor, you got to see references to things and the characters did what you expect. There was a weak villain whose motivation was to be a one movie villain. If you go to see the Marvel movies, you would probably enjoy this.

Even by PotC standards it was completely nonsensical.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

According to a screenwriter, Pirates 5 was supposed to have a female villain but Depp allegedly vetoed it because he already fought one in Dark Shadows.

Depp giving up a chance to beat a woman?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

People complained about the Kraken dying offscreen between movies but at least that kind of worked with the whole "magic is dying, we're approaching the modern age, there's no place for men like us anymore" theme they were going for, the wet fart of a final naval battle was what really disappointed me.

"Magic is dying", next movie: "let's fight a literal pirate-wizard!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Mad Max Fury Road was sort of a pirate movie, set in a world without oceans.

When you think about it, isn't everything a pirate movie?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Their point about the Egypt thing was interesting. For a movie called The Mummy, it hardly looked like one. I think there's two or so shots in the trailer that show the pyramids and all that. The rest is London, a plane, a forest and the Avengers lair thing. It is odd.

To be fair, the british have stolen so many pieces of egyptian history that it could almost pass as Egypt,

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Golan brothers also at one point accidentally cast Sharon Stone in King Solomon's Mines. Menahem Golan said that he wanted "the Stone woman" (meaning Kathleen Turner from Romancing the Stone) and the casting director thought that he literally meant an actress with Stone in her name.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

What is it useful for

Giving grumpy old persons something to yell about.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Good thing none of those guilty people he killed had innocent families or kids depending on them.

There's a story where the widows of Frank's victims tries to take revenge on him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

basic hitler posted:

I'm not a comic book guy but the killing joke and watchmen, from that crazy guy, are what i think of as great comic book art, even though it treads water in the edgelord pond a whole lot.

Which is kinda funny because the art in Watchmen was intentionally garish.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Jabba the Hutt is a criminal overlord

A criminal overlord that cooperates with the Empire.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Can you refresh my memory on this one?

Boba Fett and the Empire working together so that the Empire could get Leia and Jabba could get Han Solo was like a major plot point the Empire Strikes Back.
Also:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 12, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Tatooine is so way out there even in the OT, like wasn't it a huge deal that the empire was even there at all in ANH?

Storm Troopers were in Mos Eisley and nobody cared.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

got any sevens posted:

Had a dream about an Alien vs Jesus movie :wtc:

So you had a dream about Alien 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Remulak posted:

The Kids love ❤️ music that talks about loving getting drunk and getting high.

Now country does that, which is why all the crazy stories are now from country shows, eg:

Why Country Music Sings About Drugs More Than Any Other Genre
New study found that country lyrics contain more references to weed, cocaine and meth than rock or rap:

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/why-country-music-sings-about-drugs-more-than-any-genre-w480761

Craziness in the lawn;
http://www.cmt.com/news/1709406/offstage-can-we-put-more-law-in-the-concert-lawn/

General wtf with the kids article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.8c5186da3beb

Meanwhile, a lot of rappers reference women named Nina for some reason:
https://pudding.cool/2017/09/hip-hop-words/

• Locked thread