Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Make me your secret police

You’re not meant to ask openly, you idiot! Use PMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Can I have a special rule just about me too, please?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Further exacerbating things is the fact that a stunning amount of people who have the power who simply don't loving care about the mentally ill. And then manage to talk their supporters into thinking likewise.

It was quite a shock when I realized that I'm mentally ill. I struggle with dysthymia (I realize this might seem like nothing to those of you who have bi-polar or borderline personality disorder, or even schizophrenia, but it affects me in a very real way), as well as struggling with grief, a nebulous non-verbal learning disability, insomnia, and sleep apnea. And to steal a joke from George Carlin, I also have a headache.

It's frustrating to realize that I'm hosed up enough for it to make a negative difference in my life, but because I don't necessarily come off as the almost cartoonish idea that some people have of mentally ill persons, I don't really feel like there's a lot of resources to help me make my life better. I attend therapy but feel like it's not available often enough, most often anti-depressants make me ill or mess up my sex drive or just flat out don't do anything. It's enough to make you wanna piledrive a fascist. Actually if you get the chance, do that anyways.

On the upshot, I'm less than a month away from getting a memorial tattoo for the woman I was gonna marry and I think the artists does good work, so there's that! I think it'll help me cope with her absence, and I reckon that at worst, it beats getting a Pickle Rick tattoo (such great heights, I know).

I think there’s a story we’re missing here, and it seems to be a sad one.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A friend and I fell in love back in 2015, started house hunting and I started looking at rings. Then she died in a snowboarding accident about 10 months after we became an item. It made everything I struggle with except the learning disability worse, and I tried to commit suicide.

I've tried 7 different types of anti-depressants, I can't seem to find a career that allows me to work around my disability effectively. I live at home with my mom because I simply don't make enough to support myself at my job. And the Premier (think Governor if you're American) of my province recently implied that if those who are complaining about him axing Basic Income want more stability, they should get a job.

That Premier, by the way, is the brother of the infamous crackhead ex-Mayor of Toronto Rob Ford. His name's Doug Ford and he himself is a former drug dealer.

That’s really rough. I’m sorry.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coffee And Pie posted:

I had to read Beowulf and it loving sucked. gently caress it and gently caress the Canterbury Tales and also gently caress Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

I think it depends on the translation. I got the Seamus Heaney version, which is really good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Power of Pecota posted:

I just finished the first episode of Dark Sabrina and I'm enjoying it so far - I didn't expect the tonal transition to be as smooth as it has been so far. I might pump the brakes depending on how they handle the Dark Baptism, though.

I'm with you there, guys can look good in spite of a crop top but it's not going to help things.

The men who look good in crop tops will look good in just about anything.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bushisms.txt posted:

Just watched the first episode of inside no 9. Wow.

I just came here to follow up on a previous post about Inside No 9. It's by two of the men behind the League of Gentlemen, if that's familiar to any of you. It combines the same humour, darkness, horror, comedy, absurdity and grotesquerie that LOG did, but not to quite the same degree. Each episode is a self-contained story, and they vary quite a lot in tone, from comedy, to horror, to absurdity, and pathos. I don't think any are bad, a lot are good, and some are really excellent. I think a lot of people here would really enjoy and appreciate them.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Guess who’s going to a screening tomorrow of The Favourite followed by a Q&A with Yorgos Lanthimos? :smug:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yes! You are tonight’s lucky winner! Can you get to London by 18:30 tomorrow?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
To be fair she was 7 at the time. I don’t think a 7-year old can really be guilty of child abuse.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There is an Ozon film called 5x2 that uses that episodic structure.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

I mean ... Pulp Fiction

The Signal (2007 one), too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy6Akrt4ePQ

No, not Pulp Fiction. PF is a series of interweaving strands that form a single narrative, edited in such a way as to be non-linear. It’s not the same as an episodic structure.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This thread has some works of brilliance
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872778&perpage=40

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Budgie Jumping posted:

I was feeling like poo poo until I looked at this thread and now I'm cheered the gently caress up!

My work here is done.

(Good!)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I dated the woman who dies in the first 5 minutes of Blood and Donuts. She said David Cronenberg was really nice. Then again, he wasn't directing that one.

I can confirm that David Cronenberg is very nice.

I just saw The Favourite. It’s absolutely brilliant. Astonishing. Such complexity. And stunning design, costumes, hair/make-up, cinematography, acting... you name it. A fantastic film. And Olivia Colman also showed up for the Q&A, which was more fun and good-humoured than informative, but nice to see nonetheless.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

It seems like a general rule of thumb that the weirder your movies are, the nicer of a person you are. Harmony Korine is another example of this, that guy is just delightful to bullshit with.

Also said woman I dated did makeup on that movie as well.

Harmony is very nice too, true.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Foulbrood sounds like a name from Tolkien.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pirate Jet posted:

I think I remember reading that we’d basically be losing nothing, food chain or environment wise, if every mosquito on earth just instantly dropped dead.

:smugjones:

I like bees but gently caress mosquitoes. gently caress them right in their tiny insect asses.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My son only just discovered Gangnam Style. He loves it. He loves this too, which is a bit more obscure. Very cool track
https://youtu.be/XMN6cAIPmcA

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
You fellas sure like KOTH.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

Alternatively, The Emu

I'm down a rabbit hole reading about indigenous astronomy now. Behold New Zealand's Matariki: The Eyes of God

Galaxy name from New Zealand: Te Ikaroa, the basket that holds the stars

That’s beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anonymous Robot posted:

I finally did it. I use a contact lens solution that’s partly hydrogen peroxide (it dissolves built-up proteins better and neutralizes overnight) and I finally absentmindedly poured it directly into my eye. Ow.

I hope you’ve learned a valuable lesson.

• Locked thread