Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not sure if it's files to talk about, but surely there's emulation for GBA by now?

Yep, absolutely.

And the Wii U virtual console has a few GBA games on it too (though no main-range Pokemon- they're really set on keeping that handheld only.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Get Out is excellent. I feel like there were a lot of low budget thrillers last year that were well made but struck me as missing a certain something- this has all its poo poo together. Jordan Peele really does a lot of clever stuff with compositions and relying on the actors when he needs them ( I'm thinking the moment with the "maid", Georgina?, where the camera is focused on her face and it's just contorting and you have to trust someone to be able to do that ) and it's just really engaging throughout.

All that talent, plus Chelsea Peretti is having his child, so yeah, I admire this man.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

Good thing I'm not in that crowd, because I can't handle the world hearing me ask Meryl Streep whether Louisa is still single.

I melt seeing Felicity Jones' big front teeth. I'm weird.

Hey, worked for Bridgette Bardot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I honestly did like La La Land better, but this is for the best. This way it gets not to be the focus of pieces about how out of touch the Academy is, whereas I don't foresee Moonlight getting much of a backlash. And the difference in my estimate of quality between them is razor thin anyway so Moonlight is a perfectly fine choice.

Also the real crime was Shin Godzilla not being nominated.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Someone on twitter was pointing out that all of the producers who get the credit for the best picture award for Moonlight are white, whereas one of the producers of Manchester by the Sea is a black woman, which I feel like is something worth bearing in mind for the "symbolic victory" crowd.

That's odd, the ones that went up on stage were mostly black, as was the guy who gave the speech.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Shin Godzilla just won the Japanese Academy Prize for Best Picture of 2016, as well as Best Director and some other prizes.

gently caress yes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
For some reason my favorite scene in all of Kill Bill may just be when the Bride first meets with Hattori Hanzo, and they're both playing these parts of the chirpy tourist and the ingratiating bar owner, and Thurman is just so freaking charming she manages to hold her own with Sonny Chiba. I honestly feel she should have gotten at least an Oscar nod, because while it's an extremely un-"realistic" performance it relies a lot on being able to command attention and project personality. (Really, the movie as a whole seems to be best seen as an experiment in QT ditching "realism" altogether and making a film out of purely melodramatic elements- and well, it works.)

I saw this at a double feature yesterday- both movies in 35mm, for 3/5 at the Drafthouse- and it got me thinking, I may actually not have a "worst" Tarantino picture. (Before anyone says Death Proof, no. Death Proof has Zoe Bell and "I'm okay!" which is the payoff to all the slowness that precedes it.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
To be sure one problem with video game reviews is that video games take a while to complete these days, and a game with a brilliant start may fizzle out. (Indeed many do- developers know that most people rarely finish video games, so they put their best foot forward, and the endings are almost always rushed.)

The AV Club at least is doing a thing where there's a review, and there's also a series of someone writing impressions as they play.

But yeah, "So far so good" seems to be the case for Breath of the Wild.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 6, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Death By The Blues posted:

Should have responded with the "no..no.no..NO.no" etc.... as white male tears form in your eyes.

I'm glad that shot has become a Thing on Twitter, because drat- the skill of the actress pulling off those facial changes, and Jordan Peele knowing she can and just holding the camera on her, that's so good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Even the worst King Kong movie (Lives) is worth watching because a giant ape wrecking poo poo is inherently great.

Escapes is fun. Apparently it's technically the feature film version of a 60s Kong cartoon from Rankin Bass.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I am choosing to see this as a Hannibal follow up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
1981: Raiders of the Lost Ark
1982: The Dark Crystal
1983: Videodrome
1984: Dune
1985: Brazil
1986: The Fly
1987: Full Metal Jacket
1988: Dead Ringers
1989: Adventures of Baron Munchausen
1990: Hunt for Red October
1991: Silence of the Lambs
1992: Army of Darkness
1993: Jurassic Park
1994: Ed Wood
1995: 12 Monkeys
1996: Fargo
1997: Good Will Hunting
1998: Rushmore
1999: Being John Malkovich
2000: Chicken Run
2001: Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2002: Spirited Away
2003: Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2004: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2005: Serenity
2006: Children of Men
2007: Knocked Up
2008: Wall-E
2009: Inglourious Basterds
2010: The Social Network
2011: Hugo
2012: Cloud Atlas
2013: Wolf of Wall Street
2014: The Lego Movie
2015: Mad Max: Fury Road
2016: La La Land

This year so far: Get Out

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

YTotD: The last minute of editing on this Hell's Kitchen episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Y9piEyqc8&t=5115s

Oh God I watched this season. They were all so loving bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

I kept expecting this to turn into a Christian movie. Like the guys in the car who pick them up would start witnessing them or something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So this looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jit3YhGx5pU

(NSFW, for language)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Holy poo poo does Life have a kick-to-the-bits ending.

So Jake Gyllenhaal's character plans to trap the alien with him in an escape pod, and he'll fly it away from Earth to ensure that the alien won't get to it. At the same time, the Commander Lady is going to take another escape to Earth. It's edited quite well, with JG struggling with the alien as his pod tumbles away from earth, and Commander Lady's serenely lands on Earth.

Until the last beats of the movie reveals that the director was loving with you. The tumbling pod? That's Commander Lady screaming into the void as her pod tumbles off into space. Jg's pod, filled to the brim with Alien Goop, serenely lands and is opened by some fishermen, as JG begs them not to open it.

Earth is hosed.

At this point it's a surprise when a horror movie doesn't end with the monster escaped, the world is doomed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Death By The Blues posted:

This looks awffffffffffful, like a poor video game announcement trailer.

Looks okay to me except for some dodgy CGI on Cyborg, which may be a "we're still working on it" thing. (Though blending a real face and CGI costume is never easy, if that's indeed what they're doing.)

Well that and if those are parademons and this is all some New Gods poo poo then it needs to look like 1000% more Kirby.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I've never actually heard of a place lowering the minimum wage. What the gently caress? Why is this a thing that they can even do?

Most people who vote republican are doing so against their own best interests so this doesn't seem unusual. Just look at how many rubes are crawling out of the woodwork to say they regret voting for Trump.

Yeah but the median income of Trump voters was higher than it was for Clinton- the focus on the "working class rebellion" is kind of a false narrative. It's the elites voting to keep their taxes low and *just enough* rubes getting conned to make it easier.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
To be sure Brooks relies on very corny hacky material, but sometimes that's really really funny.

It's sort of the Muppet Show principle that a joke that is not good enough to tell once may be bad enough to tell several times.

And yeah, as a producer/backer of talent he's great. Kept the suits off Lynch's back on Elephant Man, told Cronenberg to go as extreme as he wanted, etc.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

He's probably the only writer who can write a script with equal number of dick jokes and Dostoevsky references.

The Twelve Chairs is way underrated, by the way.

Twelve Chairs really does this amazing job of capturing a specific kind of world weary European humor. "The church must change with the times."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Shin Godzilla's US release seems to have been successful- they added some dates, which is generally a sign that ticket sales are strong, so I can't imagine why they'd drag their feet on a home release. Unless they did something stupid when acquiring the rights from Toho which is entirely possible.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So one of the new MST3K Eps is a movie called Cry Wilderness and it's loving baffling.

Bigfoot appears outside a boarding school telling a boy his father is in trouble

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Thing is there are legit criticisms to be made of the Disney Star Wars movies (though I'm generally positive on them), but Max Landis is just not hitting that target.

Anyway Colossal is really good and a reminder that Anne Hathaway is a really loving good actress. Like the stuff surrounding her is strong but none of it would have worked if the protagonist rang false.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Home Economics Story is my favorite. "Kegs will be tapped, men will be used."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

What are some movies that are basically tone poems? Think Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, or Upstream Color. The moodier and less dialogue the better.

Exorcist II: The Heretic (though there's quite a bit of dialogue.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Dogme95 meant to be a sort of brief experiment rather than "This is how movies should be?" I seem to recall a statement about how after you make a Dogme95 film your next project should be a musical with a hundred cameras or something like that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

I'm "I would eat this out of a shoe."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm watching Jurassic Park for the first time in 20 years and my God is there some beautiful blocking going on in the brontosaurus reveal scene

In retrospect the best part of that is Laura Dern's expression.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Seeing stories that the WGA has reached a deal with the AMPTP, so there will be no strike from them.

The details are still vague but hopefully it was a decent deal.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Fav. Monsters:

Godzilla
King Kong
[the easy ones, natch]
Orca, the Killer Whale
The Garthim

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

"Short on bullets. Thank YOUUUUU!"

"It appears to be... the ice cream truck!"

I'm actually polishing off an audio script for a contest now, and have had one produced, so I know a little about the still-small but growing community in America (podcasting and Audible and such have helped A LOT). There's at least one company that can actually afford to pay people now!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There was a whole article on the Juicero approaching it from an engineering perspective, saying that it's really overly-engineered with tons of machined parts that drive up the cost, partly because it works by applying uniform pressure to a large surface area (the packs are friggin' huge). So naturally it costs too goddamn much- anyone who wants to just drink juice will buy juice, and anyone really into the "fresh cold press" thing will just buy an actual juicer (and even the premium models of THOSE cost about a hundred bucks less, just looking at Amazon.)

A Kuerig machine is about $100. That's enough for it to be like a wedding gift or a nice thing you get yourself when you just got a raise at work or something. (I don't have one myself, and they're hella wasteful, but never mind that.) It's kinda convenient if you want just one cup of coffee, so long as you're not hung up on it being particularly good coffee.

It's like a lot of the Kickstarter Nonstarters that Retsupurae does.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Life is short. Nod. Get treat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ it was originally $700.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

Tag yourself (either a person or attribute, your choice)
https://hottiesofmtvnext.tumblr.com/

I'm Stache, 21

I'm "Fell off a speeding bike and flew into a tree"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Thing is I was fairly sure- and to a certain extent and still inclined to think- that Russia tried to influence the election but it wasn't a grand master plan. It was just "Okay, let's help leak some bad info on the candidate we don't like", and they were probably as surprised as anyone that Trump won.

So now they've got an administration that is very friendly to them, but I'm not sure they really planned on doing anything with this, and Trump is so freaking mercurial at times they can't count on him to do any one thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The one bit of the post I object to is the idea of "reducing" a movie by talking about things like good pacing and likable characters, as if those parts of the craft aren't important. (Well, "likable" is one of those tricky buzzwords, but making characters that register to an audience and that are interesting and compelling is tricky.) Anyone can say "I'm going to make a film about the lower classes being exploited by their masters", it's actually turning that into an engaging cinematic experience that is the challenge.

SMG pointed out, the characters in Aliens are often fairly basic, because this is a suspense thriller and there's not a lot of time to explain their backstories and motivations. But that's the accomplishment, Cameron using a limited amount of time to give the audience a firm hook on so many of them- to establish little things like Vazquez and Drake being buddy buddy, Hicks being chill, Hudson always being the one who has to crack wise- any little bit of texture like that helps. Cameron often gets lambasted for not being a very good writer, at least as far as dialogue is concerned, and to be sure there's a lot of stuff in Avatar and Titanic that goes kinda flat- hell, there's corny material in just about everything he writes (I still think T2 bogs down a bit when John is trying to teach the T-800 to be cool or whatever.) But in Aliens he knows how to use broad dialogue and basic elements of storytelling to get you involved with, and sympathetic to, this band of tough as nails space marines who are about to get their asses kicked.

As pointed out, Alien does a similar thing- a few of the actors have commented that what they liked about the script was the clear hierarchy of the crew, the way everyone was kinda divvied up and you had the workers giving their supervisors poo poo and trying to sneak breaks whenever they can because they're not even supposed to be working today. It's very humanizing and solid and makes it all the more terrifying when their world gets disrupted and everyone starts dying, and it does tie into a theme of everyone waking up into a world which does not care whether they live or die. (There's a very "Hansel and Gretel" thing going on.)

Jurassic Park is fairly similar. In my teens I used to read Starlog, and the first issue I read had an interview with Wayne Knight, and he said that when he was filming his character's first scene he was worried that he was overacting, overdoing the glee over the weird shaving can gadget and the money. But Spielberg told him that in a thriller like this, the characters have to be defined in broad strokes, they have to be just a little cartoonish. And the movie's handling of Nedry is very efficient- that scene, and the part where he's bitching to Hammond about his money problems, establish that he's the idiot who's gonna cause trouble. That kind of crafting, to me, is fascinating- the efficient detailing that conveys a story without bogging it down.

I'm not against analyzing themes but there are other parts of movies that are important too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the only responsibility an artist can fulfill on that end is to honestly express their views. They can't be expected to espouse something they're not actually convinced of- at least not very well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
When I heard he was going to start wearing glasses to avoid getting punched I immediately thought of Jack Nicholson's Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So I just saw Crocodile Fury and there is much I need to learn about the Indonesian giant crocodile genre.

• Locked thread