Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Guys, I'm sorry for buying critically acclaimed games that people barely detail the flaws of and not enjoying them when those flaws turn out to be huge and make said game not worth a gently caress if you have a low tolerance for obviously poor game design bullshit.

I'll make sure to know exactly what a game is like before I consider buying it in future.

Holy poo poo guys, think about how your average jemoke would react to even watching a video of someone playing the likes of Automata or Last Guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

buy yakuza next, this is fun

Put 50 odd hours into Yakuza 0. Have Kiwami pre-ordered.

Great game. Plays really well. No constant struggle with any of the basic mechanics of the game and it stays entertaining past the initial few hours.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mordiceius posted:

Great. You should play NieR Automata because the same is true about that.

Nah, dishwater dull past the first few hours due to a pointless big ole empty map and lovely sidequests.

The second playthrough having a reskin of the twin stick shooting as a "new" mechanic along with the second most annoying character as the protagonist seals the who-gives-a-poo poo deal.

I'm sure it subverts conventions or whatever but that doesn't stop it from being real tedious and loving boring.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

This thread will aggressively rave about stuff, call it best game of all time everyone should play, and recommend things to people even if it's not a good fit, then then insult people when they buy it and don't like it.

I like Neir, a lot actually, but it has like zero appeal to like 80% of people who play games. That won't stop people from telling you to buy it and then calling you dumb when you don't like it. For the record here's some anecdotal statistics. I have about 300 people on my friends list. 30 of them play Neir. Every. Single. One. is an active poster in this thread. It's mostly an echo chamber of like minded individuals.

That said arguing on the internet is fun as poo poo I don't know why people get so down on it. This thread is the best when everyone is yelling at each other.

The sad thing is that I actually really like the core combat in Automata despite not being even vaguely a fan of Platinum but I just can't get past the utterly poo poo regressive design, glaring repetition, mediocre trite story and awful voice acting.

It is a game that I want to enjoy but it is just so flawed that I can't be arsed with it.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

katkillad2 posted:

I actually agree with you about both Nier and TLG, although I didn't let the 2nd playthrough of Nier stop me from enjoying the story and game.

The AI in TLG is dumb and I've mentioned my story enough that I don't think I need to do it again, but people defending the game saying you are a kid and the animal not following orders because lol animals can be fickle assholes is hilarious. Sorry I don't have the patience for a video game animal not following directions to the point where I don't figure out a solution because the thing I was originally trying was correct.

Yeah, I think of this kind of thing as the "it's supposed to be poo poo because ........" defense.

I play games to relax and be entertained. I don't force myself to play sort of crap stuff because life is too loving short.

Whenever I read about someone complaining about grinding for whatever in a game being sooooooo boring I just think "holy poo poo dude, just loving quit and go do something else enjoyable. Go for a walk, watch a movie, visit your loved ones or play something else. Don't keep doing the bad boring thing that you know is bad and boring"

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FishBulb posted:

I just played horizon on normal cuz I don't gotta prove myself to no video game

Same. I play most stuff on normal unless a particular games whole thing is that it is designed to be harsh-but-fair like the Souls games or something.

A lot of that stems from devs basically deciding that: "bigger numbers=harder" in a lot of cases and it breaks the core mechanics of a good few games.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Well, Nioh is a bit good, isn't it?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't played of his games since Heavy Rain, did they ever have branching QTEs with different good outcomes or anything interesting like that?

Pretty much every other dev that tried a similar style of game to his made a much better game than he could ever manage to produce.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nioh has been the perfect palette cleanser for my disappointment with Nier and TLG.

It's just so loving good. It plays like a faster Dark Souls (but not like quite Bloodbourne) but it has some excellent QoL improvements and i never thought that closed off 'levels' that you could clear would work in this type of game but they most certainly loving do.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wait, the Nioh guy is supposed to be Irish?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KingSlime posted:

Sorry to break it to you buddy but not everyone has low standards like you do.

Ps plus games are trash tier junk that regularly goes on sale on steam for like 5 bucks. Do your friends constantly mock you for playing weird, lovely games on your ps4 cuz lol at the tone of your post

Yeah, it's been a while since I bothered with any of the PS+ games that were on offer.

It tends to be a mixture of garbage I don't want and the aforementioned cheapo games I already bought on PSN/STEAM sales if I was even vaguely interested in them.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I'm about halfway through Nioh and i'm still loving it.

However, it does appear that the difficulty is front-loaded because it feels like it is getting gradually easier. Killed a couple of recent bosses handily in my first attempt.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I ended up not liking NieR: Automata and The Last Guardian, so I'm betting I'm going to get a hat trick of disappointment when I get Horizon: Zero Dawn in the mail and find out it's just another goddamn Far Cry game.

I found Nier tedious as gently caress and TLG was so poo poo that i only gave it a couple of hours before i abandoned it. HZD is really good though.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DrNutt posted:

Any amount of time spent playing a game you don't enjoy is a waste. gently caress, go read a book, go play outside, or play any of the literally thousands upon thousands of other games out there, some of which you may actually enjoy.

I've tried having this argument here before but there are an awful lot of folks that will do dumb poo poo like grind poo poo for 10s of hours or do multiple playthroughs of stuff with their own hosed up self imposed restrictions and then complain about how annoying it is.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

So, I might start Persona 5 at some stage today. My question is: subs or dub?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmao destiny 2 launches with....

1 raid

Imagine paying $60 for this

Hey now, I'm sure there will also be 4 instances you can run over and over again for the first 6 months as well.

Then you can pay 20 bucks for another couple of instances to run over and over again.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Started Persona 5 and i'm actually really liking it so far. The combat is really nicely streamlined and quick and the dialogue is fairly snappy.

It's anime as gently caress but it doesn't take itself too seriously so it's not so bad. Only issues i have are that there are a LOT of loading screens and i'm about 4 1/2 hours in and it's still fairly linear.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Paracelsus posted:

What sort of non-linearity were you looking for in a game like this? The most you can really do is rush certain social links to get access to the good stuff earlier (Death 7 for half-price SP regen accessories that are drat near mandatory, Temperance 10 for ability to do stuff in evenings after palaces/mementos plus bonus time slots to read/study/make a tool, Fortune 7 to be able to spend money to advance social links, maybe Sun 10 to be able to recruit shadows who have higher levels than what you probably have for their palaces).

It's probably more that i haven't reached the bit where the social link stuff really open up yet.

The story is literally going from beat to beat without any opportunity to gently caress around yet.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

What is the story with everyone in Persona 5 pronouncing the name 'Ann' in a really weird way?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Finished the first palace in P5 with 10 days to spare.

This is a real good game.

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 21, 2017

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I tried the Everybodys Golf beta earlier and got booted twice mid-game for losing connection to the server :(

Guess i'll try it again later or something.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Morby posted:

Well there's Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2 I guess? We haven't heard anything about them since E3 a couple years ago. Are they even still happening? Nobody knows! I think I'm the only person who owned an Xbox and never gave a single gently caress about Halo. KOTOR and Fable were more my speed and Microsoft has put 0 effort towards that type of game for at least the last 5 years. My major frustration with the Xbox brand is that there seems to be a lack of diversity in the lineup. It's mostly sports, FPS, and racing. That's basically it. They occasionally branch out with something like a Quantum Break or a Sunset Overdrive, but they seem to instantly dump the IP.

It really did turn into the MuricaBox once the Xbone came out.

Just GearsHaloForza and very little attempt to branch out into anything else. Anything else even remotely different that comes out seems to have been in development for years now and it just sort of gets released eventually and dies a death or gets cancelled with zero fanfare.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I'm just over 30 hours into Persona 5 and i'm pretty sure it's the GOTY and probably the best JRPG i've ever played.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sony don't need crossplay for Minecraft because their install base is bigger than the Bone, Wii U and Switch put together.

If someone wants to play Minecraft with friends they'll more than likely do so on their PS4s that all of them will probably own already.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

So apparently Sony stealth announced Dragon Quest 11 in a press release.

Abzu and Firewatch have been out for some time now.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I get the feeling that Days Gone is going to be an Horizon situation.

Everyone will be rolling their eyes at yet another open world game until they play it and it turns out to be really good.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

D1E posted:

I routinely play PC games at 4K on a gaming PC using my living room HDTV and I was still blown away by HZD.

There's a lot to be said for dedicated consoles with specific performance budgets and extensive optimization.

Horizon is a visual generation-jump game for me.

I just stopped and took it all in so may times during my playthrough. Utterly loving gorgeous.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Killing floor 2 was some pile of shite to give away with PS+ this month.

I've tried on 5 separate occasions to find a game in matchmaking and have just given up after 15 minutes every time.

That's loving dire for a game they are giving away for nothing this month. It must be truly awful.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SquareEnix are celebrating the launch of the the FF12 remaster by live-streaming some rabbits on their Twitch until the 11th of July.

This is a real thing and i have been watching the rabbits.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MGS5 is poo poo.

Do the same base 5 times with slightly different objectives padded out with one of the most barren open worlds imaginable. You'll find the optimal way to handle the base the first time you do a mission in them. Thrilling stuff.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Finished Persona 5 last night. 86ish hours altogether and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Great game and even though it is anime as gently caress it doesn't take itself too seriously so it isn't grating.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FF12 is really good. This is just a great year for games.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hellblade reviewing really well is the "too much winning" point for PS4 games this year.

I'm still working my way through FF12 and Kiwami is out in a few weeks along with Everybodys Golf. And i still have to take Wipeout out of the shrinkwrap. And play the Life is Strange prequel. And there's the Uncharted and Horizon DLC. And GT Sport.

This is a loving bonkers time for gaming.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

Gravity Rush 2 is so disappointing.

Yeah, i loved the first game but didn't even bother to finish GR2. It was just really tedious and controlled like dogshit for the bits where you needed to be precise.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Have to say, it's pretty cool that you get the new Uncharted game free if you bought the season pass for Uncharted 4.

If I recall correctly the pass only cost me around €8 when I got it with the game on launch day in Gamestop. At the time it was just going to be a couple of sets of cosmetic items and an unspecified single player episode at some point in the future but they are giving people the €40 spin off game as the single player DLC now.

I had even traded in my copy of UC4 and it still let me pre-order the new one for free last night.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

glam rock hamhock posted:

Marvel Heroes needs to stop adding single heroes that you can't test out and cost 20 loving dollars to unlock

Stop playing lovely F2P garbage.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

That was made by Cyanide and it was bad

It wasn't that bad but you could have removed the Game of Thrones brand and no one would have noticed.

it was a generic, low budget WRPG.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Inquisition is one of those games where you have to hunker down for at least three weeks straight to finish if you're event the least bit thorough so probably not that one.

Inquisition is also one of those games that is utter poo poo and not worth bothering with in the slightest.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk8GnaaRkT4

lmaoooo

gently caress Sony and Microsoft for allowing this on their consoles

e: 640p on PS4 Jesus Christ

I blame Steam for this kind of poo poo existing in the first place.

Early access is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

acksplode posted:

Same, I got gigabit fiber from Sonic a few weeks ago and now my PSN downloads are way faster. Makes me wonder if they deliberately throttle downloads to make sure they don't congest your internet connection

Gigabit rules. I got it a couple of months ago and I downloaded the complete edition of Dark Souls 3 that was on sale last week in about 20 minutes.

This was while I was watching an episode of Narcos in 4k without a hitch in the streaming. The future rules.