Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Here is a new thread reminder that Gravity Rush 2 is coming out in two weeks, and that people should play Gravity Rush Remastered if they haven't.

It's a good game, if flawed as gently caress. Gravity Rush 2 is going to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shadow225 posted:

Hi, I've played some games recently.

Gravity Rush Remastered - I beat this a few months ago, but I never got around to posting about it. A previous poster likened it to a quirky Dreamcast game, which I think is apt. You are a mysterious anime girl who is thrust into a flying city. You eventually learn that you have the power to shift gravity, so you can choose which way you fall. You go around helping town folk until the anime plot decides to kick in. The world has an interesting feel to it, and the art style really pulls everything together. I especially liked the comic panel presentation of most cut scenes. My complaints are two fold. First, the game is a bit too long for what it is. The main plot takes a minute to get started, and it feels like there is some unnecessary padding. The gameplay loop just doesn't need to be stretched out over 10+ hours. The second is that at a certain point, mainly a boss, the combat got really frustrating. Your main combat trick is a gravity kick, which is a homing kick you initiate while floating. This is your only constant attack against airborne enemies (you have some simple punching combos on the ground along with a gravity sliding attack if you really want) barring super moves. The issue is that the homing capability is spotty against moving targets...which is the point of having a homing attack. Imagine trying to use a homing attack and missing for 10+ minutes in a boss fight with no other options. The game ended on a solid note, though I was so fed up with the combat that I was ready to shelf the game.

Question: What is the cliff hanger that everyone complained about? I don't remember thinking that I needed another game to tie up anything really.

I don't know if I'd describe the ending to Gravity Rush as a cliffhanger; it's more that the story just kinda abruptly ends without resolving some plot threads.

As for the combat, I generally agree, but also think it's worth mentioning that you appear to have completely forgotten Kat can throw objects as projectile weapons, and that's a really good way to attack those annoying mobile, flying enemies. The bigger issue with using that attack is that sometimes it's just not available though; the long climb through that column is a good example of when you might want to use it but probably can't.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I, for one, am very excited about Onimusha Souls, especially if they improved the systems even further from the Beta. They fixed drat near everything I disliked about the Alpha as it is.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

I really want to hear what the development cycle was like for that game. Hasn't it been in development for like 12 years or something, before Souls was even a thing? I am really curious as to what early builds are like before they decided to make it a Souls clone.

Probably some combination of Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't believe Gravity Rush 2 prompted a man to lose his mind

It's really something.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Gravity Rush 2 has some pretty good statues. Good follow-up from the first game's fish.

I'm sure there a bunch more that I haven't run across yet.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm not super deep into GR2 yet, but I feel like it feels way better to play than the first one did. I specifically like how smoothly you can weave in between your powers (landing with a slide is a joy.)

I'm still not entirely used to the way the gravity slide works in this game yet, but I'll work it out. It's mostly just a matter of figuring out why it doesn't always start right away.

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm just salty about that beefed up boss in one of the planes that I heard about in the announcements. So many instances of grav kick deciding to aim for weak spots that I did not have line of sight to and missing because of it.

The flying one? I just threw poo poo at it until it died. It worked out pretty alright, even though it took longer than I'd have liked.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Manatee Cannon posted:

ds2 was incrementally punishing you for loving up. it was in ds3 where you got bonus health (embering gave you extra health on top of you max rather than just giving you your full health bar like ds2 or demon's souls). you didn't lose soapstone messages or w/e for being dead in any of them tho

ds1 had nothing of the sort and your health bar was the same no matter what

It's really crazy how much presentation can change how you perceive something. At the end of the day, DeS, DS2, and DS3 have the same health mechanic with only slight differences in how they're implemented, but DS3's presentation makes it seem like a health bonus rather than a punishment like the others do.

It's actually almost identical to the DeS implementation, with only a difference in number and presentation.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

cubicle gangster posted:

try the demo. it seems to me like a super dated ps2 era style collect poo poo and button mash through fights with a bit of a movement gimmick. i dont get the appeal

I'm really curious how you interpreted that game as a collectathon. Nothing from either the first game nor the demo indicates that at all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Waltzing Along posted:

Could you explain how the boss fights are different between BB and the rest of the souls games?

I know the trash mobs are different in that you want to be aggressive rather than slow and deliberate. But the boss fights? Aren't those pretty much the same?

In terms of the controls. Are the games all pretty much the same? Or is there something different in BB? Same basic control scheme, right? Just a different strategy?

Since you are an expert, please explain to me how these games are all so different.

Not trying to be an rear end (this time) but I genuinely want to know what is so different. If I were to go down a list of checkboxes, I check almost everything the same in each except the one for how to deal with trash mobs. And I guess setting, but the setting still feels the same as the other games.

The entirety of Bloodborne is a tempered, paced aggression. Boss fights are no different from trash mobs in that sense.

That said, I also don't think it's that different from a normal souls game. It's basically just a faster version of the shieldless playstyle.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Feenix posted:

Also: I've seen almost every single person who is playing Gravity Rush 2 say that it has a terrible slog/slow start. Exactly when does that end? I just did the Forbidden Zone trials and it definitely got a LITTLE better as I was doing those.. but wondering if it really *blossoms* at some point or if it just kinda plays more or less about as exciting as it does right now?

I don't agree with that sentiment, I loved the game from the first minute. That said, I'd say the breakaway point they're referring to is when you reach Jirga Para Lhao.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Unlucky7 posted:

How is Gravity Rush 2 structured? I am still working through remastered (which is why I am not just checking out the demo) and while it's fun, it was obviously made for a portable (Not too much to do except collecting gems and missions). And the reviews make me think that there is not much difference between that and the sequel.

The overall structure is pretty similar to the first game, but it has a lot more challenge missions with a lot more variety to them, and it has a ton of sidequests. Additionally, there's a "Treasure Hunt" online component, where you'll randomly receive photos of treasure chests in the world to search for.

Jirga Para Lhao is also more interesting to explore and has a lot more variety in its environments than Hekseville did.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Feenix posted:

The camera issues more or less have me ready to send it back to gamefly, but as I arrived at Jirga Para Lhao I started enjoying gathering the overworld crystals at least.

When do I get treasure hunt stuff? That sounds like my bag.

The camera definitely takes some getting used to, but once you get a hang of it it isn't too bad. It can get kinda iffy in tight corridors, though. Thankfully, that doesn't come up too often.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Samurai Sanders posted:

For me it's only a problem when I am in gravity mode and trying to run on non-floor surfaces. It sometimes swings around like crazy and also won't freely move in some directions. There's little practical reason to do that anyway though. Sometimes I wish the game didn't even have that feature.

Yeah. Generally if I'm having camera issues it's because I'm using the gravity slide in a place where I probably shouldn't. The vast majority of the time the camera is fine.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Feenix posted:

Only anytime you land on the ground.

Or fly near a structure.

Yeah, nah, not in my experience. It's totally fine.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TFRazorsaw posted:

I thought they paid From Software to make it. I was mistaken.

EDIT - I'm not even calling Bloodborne bad, for the record. It's just felt like Sony's first party efforts have had a number of titles that were hyped up that proved to either be unsatisfying or had major issues in recent years.

From Software developed it, but there was significant input by Sony in the development and, as mentioned, it's Sony published. Basically the same situation as Demon's Souls.

Naughty Dog is actually first party. Maaaaybe second party if that distinction matters, but even then I'm not positive on that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SamBishop posted:

Exactly right on the first part, but Naughty Dog is a wholly owned SIEA studio. They're as first-party as it gets. From would definitely count as second-party for Bloodborne and Demon's Souls (in Japan, at least), since they're independent, but made the games exclusively for PlayStation systems.

Yeah, I've never been entirely clear on what constitutes Second Party or what exactly Naughty Dog's status within Sony is, hence the hesitation there. Thanks for the clarification!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Soul Glo posted:

This is all semantics but, to me, horror games are meant to scare the player and put them at a disadvantage. I can't really remember parts of the games I mentioned that set out to do that. Disturb, maybe. Souls/Bloodborne put the player on equal footing with the enemies.

I can certainly think of a few areas in Souls or Bloodborne which have a legitimately creepy atmosphere (the Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls is a great example of this), but yeah. Souls and Bloodborne are action games first and foremost.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm gonna buy it again and play through it three more times because It's my favourite Ys.

It's my favorite Ys game too, but even I'd never play through Hugo's story again without a good reason. Don't do that to yourself.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Am I missing something, or is the (Nioh) Tachibana Muneshige optional boss insanely difficult?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bombadilillo posted:

I think its a come back later type of fight. You can just go back to the region whenever you want.

Or embrace the rock.

I probably should have done that. Instead I bashed my face against that wall until I beat him.

That boss feels like it requires you to play perfectly, because if you gently caress up at the wrong time you're just dead, immediately. If it dealt significantly less damage and had significantly less health it'd be really fun, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Real hurthling! posted:

I looked it up on some message boards. Turning off cec doesnt fix it its a samsung feature called something like auto focus that current firmware doesnt let you toggle.

This is a bad solution, but have you considered an HDMI switch?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

BECOME AS GODS

BECOME AS GODS

I also just played through that part of the game.

Goddrat, that was good.

Edit: Ahahah holy poo poo, a message from Square Enix PR. The exact text isn't interesting, but that's hilarious.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 18, 2017

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

2 was a mix of good and bad features. I never liked being able to teleport everywhere and wish it hadn't made it into 3. Some of the QOL stuff was good though.

I am so, so happy that DS1 is the only souls game that doesn't let you teleport everywhere from the start. I would be happier if none of them did.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

I don't hate that they let you teleport everywhere after the first one. It makes sense. It also killed how satisfying it was to open major shortcuts and how cool it felt to get the ability to fast travel to major bonfires though. It also just made me feel like I treated the games with less gravity which was something I really liked about demons and Ds1

I'd be okay with long distances between bonfires with appropriate shortcuts, I just strongly dislike that DS1 doesn't let you warp at all until lategame.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

I can't wrap my head around persona either.

It takes its concept and executes on it very well through its presentation, solid gameplay, and good writing. It's particularly known for having very well written characters.

It's...not that complicated?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

I've started 4 like 3 separate times and felt like there was zero entertainment value in it. Play 15 hours is a pretty hard sell.

I'm not saying it's bad and I want to enjoy it but I can't get past how unappealing it is to me.

I'm pretty sure whoever said "play 15 hours" was joking. That said, it's okay to not like a good game. It's just silly to act like it's some mystery why people like it, I guess?

There are good games out there that I've deliberately avoided or just not bothered with beyond the intro because they didn't appeal to me, too. For example, I'll never play Titanfall 2 because I can guarantee that I won't enjoy it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

First person shooters are extremely boring.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

unlawfulsoup posted:

Naw man, dude can't try a game unless he is 100% sure he will enjoy it. If he wasted 30 minutes of his life on TF2 he would be setting humanity back god knows how long.

Don't be weird.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am not the one with impossible standards.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

unlawfulsoup posted:

But whatever floats your boat, I hate anime and ended up enjoying Persona 4 and it sort of broadened my horizons. I am not a fan of gothic horror at all and Bloodborne is arguably my favorite PS4 game. You don't know how something really is unless you are willing to try it.

I'm not unwilling to play games that are outside my wheelhouse. I played through and enjoyed DOOM, for example. I just know that I wouldn't enjoy Titanfall, chill out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

Honest question. It's totally fine to not like any kind of game that doesnt appeal to you, but what about first person shooters puts some of you off? Is the perspective? The shooting?

I wish I knew, honestly. They're just very boring, and I can't really explain why.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DoctorGonzo posted:

Thank you.

Also its there a way to play the others personas? i only have the ps4 with my right now, not my gaming pc

The only way to play older Persona games without your gaming pc is to buy a PSTV or a PS3. A PSTV is cheaper and has access to the better versions of 3 and 4

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bombadilillo posted:

What system are they on?

Persona 1 and 2 are PS1 games. Persona 3 and 4 are PS2 games that are available as PS2 classics. Persona 4 Golden (the improved version) is only on PSTV and Vita. Persona 3 portable is a PSP game.

DoctorGonzo posted:

i also left my ps3, what version of persona 5 should i buy?

PS4. You have that on hand, after all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DoctorGonzo posted:

I havent played any Jrpg

It's probably a pretty good introduction to the genre, but a lot of what those games do is pretty unique to them. Regardless, it's an exceptional game that you should absolutely play if you have any interest at all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Uncle w Benefits posted:

All of the goon weebs on my PS4 friends list are balls deep in some Persona 5.

It's a JRPG/dating sim mix, right? And there's been 4 other JRPG/dating sim games previously?

Persona 1 and both P2s were totally different games. Persona 3 introduced the modern formula.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Wait, how old is the fortune teller? For some reason I thought she was around the main cast's age.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

Yeah, I feel like it would all be fine unspoilered in the Persona thread.

I don't read that thread, but I generally prefer spoiler bars for character or story details in that sort of game for a few months.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SettingSun posted:

I personally don't consider anything but things directly tied to the plots of the game spoilers but I respect everyone's opinion on the matter enough to edit what I said. Sorry.

Social link character details are absolutely spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shadow225 posted:

As someone who wants to try N:A, if you claim that you need to beat the game before it gets good, the game is not good.

A couple things. First, I think it's good from the start, but the plot doesn't really hook you until B, maybe the start of C. Second, you haven't actually beat the game until you get ending E. The other endings are more like act breaks.