Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Please add to the OP that Bloodborne is overrated and to take recommendations with a grain of salt.

overrated games can still be good.

I wouldn't recommend it to general people though because you have to be willing to fail like 20 times before you succeed once, ad nauseum and general people don't have that kind of tolerance, even if the setting is cool.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Haha oh man the posts in the PS4 Thread when it was announced and their was *some* gameplay footage. The second coming of Jesus

The Order could have been a really neat game. They just had a neat setting and didn't deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

acksplode posted:

:agreed: UC4 was my first Uncharted and I wasn't lost at all. I'm sure I missed some references and there were some scenes that were clearly meant to be nostalgic for long-time players, but I had a good time.

you miss out on Nate's development, mostly, and where he's come from, but it's not hard to enjoy as is. You just appreciate some more things if you've played the first three games, or even just the third.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
who is hyped for Knack 2?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is there a way to make the text in This War of Mine an actual legible size?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Crash is an absolute slog if you're trying to get all gems/relics/etc but why would you do that? Crash Team Racing is still probably my favourite kart racer, though.

SM64 might have been pretty cool when it came out, but it's totally outclassed by like every other Mario game since, so that doesn't get it much credit from me. I'd rather play any of the original three Spyro the Dragon games than go through SM64 again, and I've 100%ed all four. hell, anything involving the flying cap alone puts me off of picking it up again.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

LIKEINEEDTHIS posted:

this is so sad

Oh right i came here to say that FFXV is really a lot of fun even if i dont know why a prince in exile has to go toad hunting for someone who wont say a please or a thank you

I don't think he's really in exile--it's just that his home was invaded. it's not like he was banished though.

toad hunting was the worst, though, especially because there's a bug where one of them just straight up doesn't show up until you rest/come back the next day.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also Crash has a gimmick where you can't see where you're going - if a game were released today with that gimmick it would disappear into obscurity so fast.

that happens in like 2-3 levels per game, out of 25-30. I think every Uncharted game has one little section where you run into the camera. it's really not that big a deal.

e: I thought you were talking about running into the camera but maybe you're talking about the darkness gimmick? I don't really know

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/819696236135649284

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

FFXV was very good.

not only was FFXV very good, but World of Final Fantasy was very good too

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

See OP

Pretty sure you gotta sign up for their promotional/newsletter thing

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but where do you do that? I'm already opted in to the Sony marketing communications or whatever in the notification preferences on the store.

also with all the remasters and stuff coming out these days, where's the SSX trilogy one? I went back and played some SSX3 tonight and there's a game that would look absolutely stunning with pretty much no changes to game mechanics needed.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd love SSX 1, tricky or 3 on PS4 as a port, but there's only a small few games ported. It takes time and work, and there's licensing issues. No EA published games have yet been ported from ps2 to ps4, mostly Sony first party games but a few other publishers have agreed. But there's tooons of ps2 games and few have so far.

As for remasters, those take time and money and also have licensing issues, and EA would rather just crank out new SSX games instead. They've mishandled the series since 3 though so its probably gonna be awhile before we get another, although the 360 one was decent.

that SSX was great and I loved that you could literally wingsuit down some of the tracks in like 12 seconds.

nothing quite compares to that big mountain and the continuity of tracks in SSX3 though. *sigh*

e: it just kills me that of all things Crash Bandicoot is getting a remake (which, by the trailer I've seen, looks and plays much worse than the original) since Activision apparently has money to burn and doesn't give a gently caress, while other games are doomed to toil in obscurity forever.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 22, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

ah yes of all things one of the best platformers of all time is getting a remake, such injustice in the world

I like Crash Bandicoot a lot, but it doesn't even need a remake because it still plays and looks good as is (partially because of the cartoon art style), and as stated Activision seem to have made it worse in most ways. it doesn't benefit that much from a remastering.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

J-Spot posted:

You're not doing anything wrong but that reviewer must have been. It's been awhile since I've played but I could swear that every path could unlock a truth but there are multiple paths that can potentially unlock each. I'm pretty sure I unlocked the first three right away and then it took me a few tries to find a path that would get me the fourth.

every path can unlock a truth but there are like 24 stories and 4 truths, so you have to find the right ones to get the truths you don't already have. I'd guess he found one truth and either didn't realise it or just meant it took him forever to find a path that got him the second one and got confused. either way, you definitely can't play through the game once without finding a truth.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

haveblue posted:

Can you leave Hunter's Dream after it's on fire? I didn't think that was an option.

yes, you can still walk right over to a headstone and go wherever

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Until Dawn does cool stuff with sound and motion and is probably my favourite of it. the spraypainting in First Light is pretty awesome too though

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I wish you could just turn off that lovely light. It reflects off my TV screen and it's really annoying.

some people just tape over it. there were covers you could buy that were kinda popular for a while that had designs like Batman or whatever.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

They're on youtube. If you want the story to make sense, they're pretty important because the actual game's story is in shambles. But if you just wanna hit dudes with swords then whatever.

it's not the most explicitly told story in the world, but I dunno if I'd call it "in shambles". there are some things can be easy to miss, but for the most part the story is pretty simple. the bigger sin of FFXV's story is that it sets up a lot of things that don't go anywhere like Prompto (presumably because they ran out of time), less that they left too many things unexplained

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

:shrug: I think those both count as 'shambles'

Its a mess. A rose by any other name.

I dunno, I tend to think of shambles more as "plot elements are explicitly misrepresented" or "there's no way to tell what's actually going on", like certain parts of FFVII's translation. or "this event is absolutely unexplainable" like Cid's (or Rosch's, can't remember) sudden resurrection in FFXIII.

they could have added a lot more to FFXV, but it's not like the story is hard to follow

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Imagined posted:

Why is my $40 Roku stick a better media device than a $400 4th generation console by a global megacorp that's been making consumer electronics for 40 years. Seriously why does the TV & Video bit suck so badly? We had the Pro less than a week before I went back to using the Roku for my Netflix and Plex needs.

Possibly related to how Sony's main business is finance and yet they can't figure out how to make a store that takes money.

Still waiting for the one perfect TV box.

granted I don't use Plex but I don't get what the Roku has over the PS4 when it comes to Amazon and Netflix. every Roku I've used has been a laggy piece of poo poo, but I also haven't used the stick, so maybe they managed to make that one be not-terrible

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Imagined posted:

On Roku I can delete the poo poo I'll never use and not have to scroll down past 20 bullshit things to get to the stuff I do use, which I can also reorganize however I want, for one. For two, in Netflix the PS4 doesn't seem to automatically go on to the next episode for some reason? Even my 4 year old noticed that. Come to think of it the PS3 Netflix app did the same thing.

this is definitely a glitch or hidden setting or something, because I have no issues with that on Amazon/Netflix (I don't think it happened on my PS3 either, but it's been too long since I've used it to know for sure). every like 5 episodes it'll ask if I'm still actually watching the show, but that's about it.

you're probably right about the codecs thing because I remember reading about it being finicky with that kind of stuff back when the released their own media player, but I don't use my PS4 as a media server, so I wouldn't be able to say one way or the other.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sefal posted:

Got the same error as my eu (dutch) account. I'll try with an UK account?

I found this link, which may help

e: a bit late, I guess

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't notice frame pacing/rates AND I listen to audio as 128/192 kbps mp3s come fight me nerds

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
if you like more traditional turn-based RPGs, World of Final Fantasy is good

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

fridge corn posted:

i plan to get bloodborne as my next game purchase but I am fairly mediocre to bad at video games so I am scared :(

friend if you thought FFXV's battle system was hold O to win and couldn't figure out why it was a slog, you'll have fun dying over and over in Bloodborne without figuring out why what you're doing isn't working.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Disc Jam is pretty rad. I hadn't even heard of it before today. looks like another good month for PS+

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the only things Rocket League really has on Disc Jam are

(a) better matchmaking (though whether that's population or netcode I have no idea, and I assume that unlike Rocket League, Disc Jam isn't cross platform)
(b) the rate/variety of unlocks
(c) the variety of maps

but (b) and (c) are both fixable since they're working on new content and Rocket League has had a long time to build stuff up

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I like Disc Jam but as it stands it's a super sparse package. The characters are bland as hell, there's no AI modes, there's only one arena, and the unlocks suck. It's a good platform to build on but it needs more time to bake.

Also Rocket League was polished to a shine at launch. Disc Jam...isn't. Not even close.

e: I can't overstate how loving terrible the characters are. And they made the Japanese character a ninja because of course

yeah but nobody plays Rocket League for the AI modes.

the core gameplay of Disc Jam is good, even if it's not as robust, cosmetically. Rocket League is the better full product for sure, but fun-wise, they're both about equal in my book, and Disc Jam has a lot of room to grow

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
okay I'm going to give one more minus to Disc Jam. it's still a good game, but being able to win unlocks you already have is dumb when you have to "buy" them with the in-game points.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Norns posted:

Yeah notifications is chopped salad now.

maybe it's just because I don't play games with other people or something, but what situations do you have where you didn't just want the most recent notifications, or you needed to be able to go back and find some one from two days ago that was in a specific category? generally if I'm looking at it at all it's just to clear the most recent ones so they aren't marked as unread anymore.

did you really need those "Discover" alerts sectioned off?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

move along folks, no anime here

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
what was the last good demo, anyway? Nier's seems middling, and god knows the FFXV one turned people off of it despite the main game being much better. I used to play the hell out of those jampack demo discs back in the day (Tekken 2 where you only got to choose between Lei and Jun!), but I dunno what the last demo was that actually sold me on a game.

Loutre posted:

Over halfway through and I would like to update my opinion on the first Uncharted from "awesome" to "awesome mixed with a constant barrage of boring rear end shooting sequences"

Do the sequels improve on that aspect any? Everything else is peaches.

it's been said before and it'll be said again, but make sure you aren't playing them as cover shooters--they weren't meant to be played like that, and especially in the first one, the enemies can take a lot of bullet punishment before going down. you're meant to be running around, firing a couple shots from the hip, and punching enemies out before rolling into cover for a breather. if you still don't like it after playing it that way, then it's fine--the first one is generally thought of as the worst one by most people. the later games give you a lot more options for dealing with enemies, but overall the design philosophy is the same: keep on the move, run and gun is your friend.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I get platinums when they're not too tedious. Life is Strange is probably the easiest one I've ever done because all you have to do is find and take ten pictures every episode. I got the one for FF Type-0 and don't recall it being too bad either. I'll probably get World of FF and FFXV's eventually, and I got the one for Rocket League, though to be fair I cheated and did some of the more unlikely ones in private matches with bots or with my other controller.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I really tried hard to be cynical about Horizon's sometimes embarrassing level of earnestness, the over-seriousness of some of the world elements...but I couldn't keep it up. It's a great game. The devs obviously put a lot of effort into crafting genuine motivations and emotions for Aloy, and she's just such a wonderful character.

The environment and mech design are astounding, the music is beautiful, the writing is pretty drat good, and in general it just really fun to play in all the ways Witcher 3 wasn't.

yeah but I heard the mechs are red when they're hostile and green when they're friendly instead of you having to figure it out every single time by testing so the devs really missed a chance there to make something more organic

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Snak posted:

Well they're all hostile unless you hack them, so... What you're suggesting wouldn't exist.

I haven't played it but this was someone's complaint from a while ago

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah really the eye color changing isn't groundbreaking, but it is a good, non HUD way to basically do what every stealth/stealth lite game does. A very bizarre thing to complain about.

The exposition thing is a valid complaint. Aloy seems to think the player is too stupid to understand the plot points or gameplay sometimes and basically just speaks right over your stream of conscious. It's not a super big deal but I often find myself thinking "yeah I get it Aloy we just watced the same holotape"

to be fair, history shows a lot of gamers are idiots

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy poo poo did they finally fix the notifications part of the interface so notifications will ever go away on their own? It was comically stupid before where like, a message that a game update installed would stay there for like a month straight of playing that game unless I cleared new notifications manually.

I dig the new notifications feed. way simpler and easier to clear unread ones

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I have two 360 controllers with stick drift and one of the early model DS4s with some left analog stick issues (I have one of the newer ones that works just fine, though). my two PS3 controllers both work fine, and I've probably used those the most. my DS2s have a little stick drift but less noticeable than the 360 controllers.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/841317935838720001

I like that S-E just has a giant chalkboard wall where people can write good things that have happened

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I will always look fondly on that movie as the setup to a joke that took years to pay off in Life is Strange

this, only also I rewatched it a month or two ago and it was a perfectly decent movie in its own right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I finally checked out Deadly Tower of Monsters and it's exactly like playing a B sci fi film, and the commentary is pretty great

Real hurthling! posted:

No the us store has a meaningless likes system instead of stars. There is no dislike option

US store has stars if you go to the website, I'm pretty sure, because I know I've seen them