Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
The other way to spin that if you're not hyper cynical is that the Seahawks gameplan crazy well to take away the opponents strength forcing the opposing team to beat the Seahawks with their weakest unit. Some teams rise to the challenge and some dont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Kalli posted:

Being Mixed Helps me Connect

Pretty sure I've seen a much better version of this about Obama.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/01/my-president-was-black/508793/

And it's Ta-Nehisi Coates so it's well written. Either way it's interesting that the same reasoning runs through both. Being raised by both black and white families allows them to connect with both sides and straddle the race divide. For Obama the Hawaii upbringing adds another element.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Most mixed race people I know feel rejected by both sides of their heritage. I guess it's cool that Dak and Barry feel differently, but I wonder how much of this is both sides laying claim to an already successful individual. (I'm haven't read the articles yet, so if the writers covered that then forgive me!)

Yea that's an interesting point. Coates definitely touches on that but I don't think he does a deep dive.

Ehud posted:

I am white and my family is mostly garbage human beings thanks for reading

Yup, same here. I could also just say my family has been in America since the Virginia colony and have lived almost exclusively in the Appalachians and now Florida. That also gets the point across.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Ehud posted:

I signed up for Ancestry and found a lot of interesting things. I found the divorce filing for my great grandfather that I was named after and the reason for divorce was "gross neglect and extreme cruelty"

:hellyeah: pieces of poo poo all the way down the tree

We found out the reason one branch of my family that moved from Oklahoma to CA during the dust bowl ended in OK in the first place because my great great grandfather murdered a dude in South Dakota for messing with his brother and then fled to OK to hideout. We're a real classy bunch

All I got out of the ancestry poo poo is that once upon a time my ancestors had an adventurous spirit and then once we got here we just loving stopped. It's depressing.

Kalli posted:

Half chinese, half french-canadian stock that slowly migrated south to Rhode Island over a couple hundred years.

So yeah, I'm a banana. It's my people's word, we can use it.

Legit have never heard that term before which is surprising since I was enlisted and I thought I'd heard every racial slur at this point.

Blarfk posted:

1. Irish

2. Off Monday

3. I'm going to LA for the long weekend for the first time, what should I do in LA?

Get food! It's LA, the best thing about the city is the food scene.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 11, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

a new study bible! posted:

u forgot the pro bowl

They're doing the skills stuff this year, right?

Because: is must see tv

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

This quote makes Mike Gundy look like a real piece of poo poo:

quote:

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy -- who had visited the police department and asked to look at photos of the victim, according to the arrest report -- kicked Hill off the team. "We try to stress as much as we can to these guys, there's just certain things right now that society frowns upon," he told reporters.

drat societal norms.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

We had an ice storm in the DC/Baltimore area a couple of weeks ago. This was the outcome. https://youtu.be/Ea4mVMXj9hw

Do not drive on ice. Full stop.
also do not drive in DC poo poo's like Mad Max here god drat

Truth. Driving on the beltway is a risky proposition in the best weather. loving DC traffic and Maryland drivers.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Within the US the DC metro area is the worst I've seen but nothing ever holds a candle to places like India and China.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

buddhanc posted:

China traffic bros ITT. Was an expat in Tianjin for 4 years, death by insane taxi seemed inevitable. No one pays attention to lanes, speed limits, etc. People drive on the wrong side, constant honking, and a sea of bicycles everywhere you go.

Anyways, I hope the games are actually good and competitive this weekend.

Holy poo poo, Tianjin is where I was at when I was in China for a summer. It was the most insane traffic I've ever seen.

So we only have the one game today, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Detroit_Dogg posted:

You would stop talking to your brother altogether? Jeez

Yea that's a bit much. I'd just be a dick to him about making my relationship extra difficult.

• Locked thread