Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the blue camo navy uniforms are awesome too because if theres one thing you want to make sure of if you accidentally go overboard, it's that you blend in really closely with the water and are difficult to spot. gotta make your shipmates work hard to rescue you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

only very tangentially related to radio war nerd but nymag has some dumb article out about matt taibbi: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/10/what-happened-to-matt-taibbi.html not really worth reading except for this quote from ames.

quote:

Taibbi and Ames would have a bitter falling out; the two haven’t spoken in almost 20 years. Taibbi left The eXile several years before it folded in 2008, heading back to America to further his journalism career. Ames declined to comment for this story. “This sounds too depressing,” he said. “Good luck with it.”

lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Atrocious Joe posted:

was Taibbi ever chased out of a country like Dolan or Ames.

He really seems like the least cancelled eXiled alum by that metric.

not exactly, although the way ames tells of his exit from russia is pretty funny,

quote:

Shortly after Ames returned to Moscow, in early 2002, Taibbi left for Buffalo, New York, to start a new paper, The Buffalo Beast. Ames says Taibbi made it clear he didn’t want Ames’s help. According to some, it was Taibbi’s plan all along to parlay the Exile buzz into Stateside success. “[The Exile] gave him the Western platform he always wanted,” says Andrew Meier. Ames agrees. “I never thought I’d get anything of mine read. Matt never suffered from that worry. It was his birthright to be read,” he says. “He wasn’t ever comfortable with his own anger. Matt’s fate all along was to end up in a privileged space. He knew that and realized that if he could take an unconventional route there it would make him much more interesting once he arrived.” Ames claims that while he was gone Taibbi mismanaged The Exile, running it into debt and embroiling it in a libel lawsuit with Russian hockey star Pavel Bure after Taibbi ran a prank story claiming Bure’s then girlfriend, tennis player Anna Kournikova, had two vaginas. Ames says Taibbi pushed him to take on Bure, a hero among some of Moscow’s less humor-inclined underworld figures, knowing that it might endanger The Exile and Ames’s safety, even his life. “He wanted out of The Exile and he wanted out of my shadow. He was pretty clear that he wanted The Exile to go down,” Ames says.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

that review is kind of similar (not in a plagiarizing way just in the way that they both address some of the movies weaknesses) on the sports website defector, which basically said that dune wasn't very good because it was faithful to the plot but plot is like the least interesting thing about dune. compare

quote:

But even the original Dune novel is weird. It is a story about a group of space nuns who use eugenics to produce a boy who does so many drugs that he can see the future and ride a big worm and become the ruler of the universe. When you spell it all out like that, you get closer to seeing how Frank Herbert fits in the sci-fi tradition. He’s easy to miscategorize half a century on, because the visuals of Dune are what linger in popular imagination, since they are so often singular. But Herbert was less a successor to the grandeur of Clarke or the wonder of Bradbury or the almost erotic warmaking paeans of Heinlein, and more a contemporary of the outré, psychedelic—as John Semley so aptly puts it—pulp of a Philip K. Dick. Things didn’t always make sense because making sense wasn’t the point; you were supposed to be entertained, you were supposed to feel things, and you were supposed to come away altered in some way. Herbert’s Dune is not space Shakespeare, as so many of Villeneuve’s actors seem keen to play it; it is space opera, for all the low-rent and grimy and tawdry connotations that once-pejorative genre name implies. It is a battered paperback, not a prestige hardcover.

with

quote:

Given all this dullness, I was really looking forward to the sandworms. Sadly, it’s very telling that, in this film, the sandworms are dull too. They tunnel along in a very literal way, creating long sand tubes like gophers in cartoons, only gigantic. And when one finally appears, the most that can be said for it is, it’s quite large. Yep. A large, staid, dignified-looking sandworm comes up out of the sand, looming over Paul and his dull mother, Lady Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson). It then holds its pose photogenically, like a head of state getting one of those enormous magisterial portraits done to hang in the marble hall.

This is in keeping with the film’s stately “suitable for framing” aesthetic. But I can’t help but wonder what this Dune might have been had it chucked those handsome but cold visuals out the window and embraced a wilder look — the kind promised by Jodorowsky and delivered, apparently, by Lynch decades ago.

Because if you can’t get wild and crazy with a nearly thousand-page yarn about tripping on space peyote while riding giant worms in the desert, what can you get wild and crazy about?

they're right!

i still liked dune though.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid just got over rsv, fuckin sucks

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there are a few of dolans writings on the exiled (sadly not the exile which is very paywalled) website about his time in poverty

https://exiledonline.com/living-with-cons-and-paupers-in-canadas-arctic-waters/

https://exiledonline.com/tips-for-new-paupers/

and then this one which is written under a pseudonym but is also clearly dolan and one of my favorite things he's ever written: http://exiledonline.com/to-the-crows/

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i highly doubt they would do it but a fun coda to the civil war series would be a look at the harry turtledove southern victory series

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

feeling incrediby pissed off & betrayed that mark said antietam was the bloodiest battle in american history. not even the bloodiest battle in the dang war!

i am sure he misspoke and meant it was the bloodiest single day, but, nevertheless, i was wagging my finger

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ancestor of robert e lee lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

vicksburg rocks, i have been there many times. highly recommended!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i wonder how much of the august willich war nerd episode will be a repeat of the inebriated past solo ep that matt did

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

he has a very nice voice in my opinion

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sounds like they should have taken those quota agreements!!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

brian tane

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im glad mark is keeping the spirit of the schopenhauer award alive

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it sounds like they've had a lot of trouble getting permanent residence for dolan in NZ, and i can't imagine they want to live in the US, given that they haven't taken that option. there was also the failed attempt to get irish nationality. so... gotta wander the earth.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the exile was cool

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I remember when Mark was dejected about the fact he and Yasha weren't given credit for breaking the story on the Koch Brothers astroturfing the Tea Party. Maybe in a different world where Mark got to be a famous journalist he would take the same path, but he didn't. Instead he got to hit rock bottom addicted to speed in Kentucky, and since then he's bounced back as a family man and podcast darling.

ames becoming a normie family man and taibbi becoming a cancel culture guy is like the opposite of what i thought their trajectories would be like after the exile blew up, always makes me laugh to think about

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It seemed like Matt threw everyone under the bus in order to appease liberal media without realizing they'd never accept him. He seems super embarrassed by the whole saga, and does a lot of things out of spite for them.

makes me think this quote from a profile of ames/the exile from 2010:

quote:

Shortly after Ames returned to Moscow, in early 2002, Taibbi left for Buffalo, New York, to start a new paper, The Buffalo Beast. Ames says Taibbi made it clear he didn’t want Ames’s help. According to some, it was Taibbi’s plan all along to parlay the Exile buzz into Stateside success. “[The Exile] gave him the Western platform he always wanted,” says Andrew Meier. Ames agrees. “I never thought I’d get anything of mine read. Matt never suffered from that worry. It was his birthright to be read,” he says. “He wasn’t ever comfortable with his own anger. Matt’s fate all along was to end up in a privileged space. He knew that and realized that if he could take an unconventional route there it would make him much more interesting once he arrived.” Ames claims that while he was gone Taibbi mismanaged The Exile, running it into debt and embroiling it in a libel lawsuit with Russian hockey star Pavel Bure after Taibbi ran a prank story claiming Bure’s then girlfriend, tennis player Anna Kournikova, had two vaginas. Ames says Taibbi pushed him to take on Bure, a hero among some of Moscow’s less humor-inclined underworld figures, knowing that it might endanger The Exile and Ames’s safety, even his life. “He wanted out of The Exile and he wanted out of my shadow. He was pretty clear that he wanted The Exile to go down,” Ames says.

Taibbi left the Beast after only 18 issues and wrote a political column for the New York Press (where he became best known for writing the uproar-causing “52 Funniest Things About the Upcoming Death of the Pope”) and then moved full time to Rolling Stone in 2005. He tried to get back in touch with Ames many times, but Ames refused, because Taibbi “betrayed The Exile. The Exile was incredibly unique and fragile, and it was the only thing fighting the right fight, and when you turn on that, that’s it,” Ames says. “I don’t believe in giving people second chances.”

“I think he knows he became a mainstream caricature,” Ames says when I ask what he thinks of Taibbi’s Rolling Stone work. Taibbi won a National Magazine Award for it in 2008. Ames and Taibbi have not spoken since 2002.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

draftkings

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

been listening to the trueanon synanon series, tough listening, very distressing at times

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mark ames didnt go far enough when he wrote "gas middle america": http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=7533&IBLOCK_ID=35

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah i think the big issue is that either john or catherine or both of them don't want to live in the us. they've been married long enough that there shouldn't be any "married for papers" obstacles or suspicion in the way of getting her a green card. can't really blame them i suppose, too bad about italy.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

john dolans favorite poet is wallace stevens and,hell, same here

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

still less of a problematic fave than celine lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

tristeham posted:

he was my favourite writer at some point when i was in high school lol (never read the pamphlets and all poo poo though)

i still read journey to the end of the night every year or two lol, its a wonderful book and every reread i find something funny that i missed the last time around. great book. celine probably should have been executed after ww2 though.

just the idea of a guy who wrote pamphlets so shockingly and violently anti-semitic that the nazi propaganda chief in paris wasl ike "this guy is crazy and needs to take it down a notch" really beggars the imagination lol.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

makes me think too of like how there were SS guys who visited the serb and bosniak extermination camps set up by the independent state of croatia who were like "these croatian guys are SICK!!!"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i say swears online posted:

oh dear. age really creeps up on you, mark. staring at the departure board i accidentally mistook 'khartoum' for 'restroom' and now katherine has joined the janjaweed

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gently caress yeah

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a piece of writing i often return to because it makes me laugh is john dolan's review of a million little pieces, entitled, a million pieces of poo poo: https://exiledonline.com/a-million-pieces-of-poo poo/

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

hows john the oldest being born with the USSR bomb when I thought annibale grew up in fascist italy?

i think anniable talked about being in the italian army in the late 80s or early 90s, hes not a young man but not an ancient guy either

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

acoup is a fun blog to read for the most part

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the discourse around 300 when it came out was awesome, people were basically like "this documentary shows why we invaded iraq, which is to defend white civilization from the muslim hordes"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mark should post in cspam, i would protect him

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

he looks good

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

I think he looks good, and headline aside, he supports class first leftism throughout and points to idpol emerging after Occupy as weakening the left. It's just that the only people who will give you a platform to talk about that are the right.

matt taibbi thinks cops are working class so he is actually promotijng the ideology of being a dumbass

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Megamissen posted:

people talking about the fall of the soviet union as a victory for minorities is kinda maddening after learning how minorities got and get treated in the newly independent republics

it's very funny to see people talk about how the soviet union dissolved peacefully when in fact it was insanely violent, just not in any places anyone in the west cares about

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i am still way way behind on episodes and so just got to the soccer hooligan one. always nice to hear from aamer, hes a great guest

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ames and dolan are longtime fans of naipaul, heres something from 2011: https://exiledonline.com/why-the-american-right-never-liked-v-s-naipaul/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

the who and the what?

https://web.archive.org/web/2015080...a7dffdbb96ea75/

https://web.archive.org/web/2015080...555fb33191e6ef/