Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I just ordered this bird feeder! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Clear-Window-Squirrel-Proof-Bird-Feeder-Window-bird-feeders/32434113812.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hug in a Can posted:

you're absolutely right and as someone who isn't a career activist I give my capitalist ca$h to organizations that combat human rights violations like this! :cool:

and in the meantime, check out this dope bracelet :coal:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32388066975/32388066975.html
I'm going to get 2 and wear them stylishly

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Gothic-Men-Jewelry-Titanium-Steel-Bird-Head-Skull-Pendant-Necklace/32652137844.html

i'm thinking of something like this!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Last year, in Portland, Oregon, a mother squirrel made her nest in our chimney. When the babies grew large enough, they fell into our fireplace. I have caught five (5) squirrels with rose handling gloves and tupperware containers in the last year, my housemates four (4) and six (6). I told my housemate we should have kept one and tamed it or made it an example to its brethren, but she said no. She later said I was right.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I paid like $10 for this on amazon and it's great. Mine has lasted more than a year now.
folding pill case:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Who...2599636102.html

there are so many pill cases of all shapes and kinds!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Pick posted:

Yeah I still don't get how China can have like 10 different ways to post crap, but e-Packet is by far the best.
You guys, the FABRICS.
:swoon:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm starting regular seeds today and planning a weird seed order from Ali Express right now. Curious about what will grow? Put the link here and I'll probably buy it and we'll see.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Is it possible to import seeds online legally? If you bring them with you IRL they have to be declared and a customs person has to check them.

It depends on the kind of seed, i accidentally ordered live brussel sprouts from the Philipines (on amazon) once and they got seized.

My understanding is that usually what they are looking for is foreign *soil* though, on the seeds or what not, so ordering seeds (not live plants) is the way to go. I'm okay with some of my stuff getting held up and I'll look for a legal import list.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

I'd not be the least bit surprised to find that a lot of these obviously fake plants are just a way to smuggle illegal drug plants into the US. Like a guy hands you a slip of paper on a street corner and it just says "Aliexpress - titty gourds" or "blue strawberries" and you buy a gross of them to start a weed farm or opium business.

well, i ordered $20 worth of weird-seeming plants today, let's see what happens!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

unpacked robinhood posted:

Film yourself tasting the weird stuff you manage to grow, call it a Lettuce Play

This is a Good Pun.

I think the breast gourds are intended to be ornamental but we shall see. My partner was very surprised when I told him about my seed purchases yesterday. Let's see how surprised he is when they grow!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I've been calling myself Wren Ali Seed all week. We'll see what grows!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Beep.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bea...2598311419.html

Boop.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Viv...2784855727.html

Beep.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nob...2501504065.html

Boop.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wom...2599916536.html

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My see through birdfeeder came and it's amazing! Timmy the titmouse came to visit today!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Gable Oak posted:

Well, then I have no idea what I did to piss off the gods of Chinese exports. :-(. Mine just says, "For security reasons this process can not be continued.To make sure your transaction is secure, please provide us with documentation by clicking My Appeal for further verification." Documentation being crazy phishing-sounding things like, "take a photo of your credit card, driver's license, and bank statement." I am 100% certain it's legitimately AliPay, but I'm not sure if it's more or less comforting that only a subset of us are getting selected for further documentation.

I've never had to do anything extra. I'm using a Visa associated with my bank.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Pick posted:

Honestly, all I ever gave them was my address and my debit card # :shrug:.

Me too, but a credit card number.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My seeds came!!! I'm going to start that Wren Ali seed thread based on your suggestion! Thank you! I'll link once I get it going.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Just make sure you find and link some sort of seed identification site or grow them in a separated area; certain plants are not only invasive but actively harmful to the environment, like the mentioned Kudzu (which is a plant that suffocates trees, creates Co2, and burrows roots into the ground while growing a foot a day).

They are in containers separated from our regular garden! Do I have to talk to a mod in GBS before starting a Lettuce Play thread?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Shoot, I already messaged a mod, so I'll wait for him to get back to me before I post! But four pots are planted and I only know whats supposed to grow out of one!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Anyone try ordering cheap chinese mystery seeds? I thought my favorites were the seeds for plants that were biologically impossible.

Nice photoshop, guys.

Then I looked at the seeds for aquarium plants. Seeds for moss? Does moss even grow from seeds? And then I found the lowest effort fake seeds.

Seeds that grow plastic plants. :aaaaa:

What do they even send you if you order plastic plant seeds? Just sweep the floor and mail floor grit?

A while I bought a bunch of packs of mystery seeds, PMed a GBS mod about starting a thread to see what grows, never heard back. I think Pick also has seeds that are coming in well!

Then I moved my partner from NC to MD on April 1st, so I haven't been around. I could get started this weekend though! I'd be happy for more than one of us to grow random stuff together!

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 14, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Woden posted:

Is it even legal to buy seeds like that and not at least declare them?

Yeah, I think you have to have a special permit to import soil or live plants with soil.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Lol I have several relatives that work in forestry and I have to hear about Asian invasive plants, animals and etc constantly so I will gladly narc you all out for a hearty chuckle jk I won't actually narc you out but please be careful with your unlawful plant haul

I'm growing everything in containers rather than out in the garden soil. Thanks for the reminder though!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I accidentally deleted this bookmark and missed you guys! Hi friends!

Seed report:
Blue strawberries are coming in nicely. Tit gourd seeds may be duds. Mystery seeds are coming in, still don't know what they are. Checking my order history is cheating. :colbert:

This is my bathroom storage in new apartment. These baskets are from Ali Express:

And I got one of those triangular iridescent bags for a friend for a graduation gift and she is delighted to be a newly fledged social worker with pink and purple hair and a sparkly bag. :3:

Gotta catch up on this thread and make some big (less than $20) purchases!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Why is it the things you want the most show up last, and the things you're relatively "eh" about show up super fast

Cognitive dissonance?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Maybe as you wait for the thing, you want it more and more, so the longer you wait, the more you want it. (Not a totally serious answer to not a totally serious question, I thought)

Oh, here's the listing for the baskets:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Col...2782492352.html

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 9, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Cognitive dissonance probably isn't the right term, but there's something like confirmation bias there. Chances are the order the objects the arrive in is more or less random, but because you're anticipating some items any delay for those is more noticeable. And vice versa, the disappointment is exaggerated when it's not the item you wanted and your brain lets those memories form the basis for a pattern that isn't there.

Yeah, you are right. I had written confirmation bias first, and then thought cognitive dissonance might be a more approachable (and silly) idea.

Oh no I meant "in order of original desire when ordered," which is why I was confused

I was just expecting answers like"impatience" or "that's how the universe is," "cognitive dissonance" kinda threw me lol

:glomp:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I got a dress and it doesn't have any weird smell! And it seems to be fairly well made! And it fits! Holy poo poo!

Hurray! Wear it in good health, my friend!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

treiz01 posted:

Can't wait to hear about the first injury that comes from sticking one of these up your rear end!

Those ones specifically? I just got the regular fidget spinner article for you. http://www.focustimes.org/boise-idaho-man-rushed-hospital-fidget-spinner-became-stuck-anus/

quote:

A 27-year old man from Boise, Idaho has been rushed to hospital after a fidget spinner became lodged in his anus. Surgeons were forced to operate on the man to remove the device, which had become stuck after he used it inappropriately.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think we can test to see if it's calcium chloride fairly easily though, let me wake up and think about how to test it.

Edit: I'm buried in work, will circle back around to this later.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 17, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I somehow ended up finding this:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Duh Ugh posted:

Link, please? I must know more about this masterpiece.

My wife is going to hate me...

I got you, fam: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rea...2471692099.html
17 colors!

Edit: Oh, thanks HiaC, that's what I get for not updating before responding!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Krakox posted:

Gender is dumb but I'd like to know if men or women wear this more often

I'll be interested to know how this garment turns out!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My hops seeds arrived! Soaked them overnight and planting today, once I fix some tomato trellises that were hit hard in a storm.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Of all the things I've ordered, There were three things I was extra excited for when I placed orders.

One arrived about a week ago, late-ish but nbd.

Other two haven't arrived yet. Everything else has. Might be due to weight/bulk, but I swear this is some kind of phenomenon with ordering from China.

Or it's confirmation bias

When you order things, could you please pm me how excited you are (0-5 or 0-10 are both fine), and then pm me again when they arrive? We can set up a tiny study together. :science:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Whoops I accidentally discarded this the other day. New version of Awful App keeps loving me over.

I don't know exactly when I'll be ordering again but I will definitely do this. 10 point scale for nuance. I'm curious too, and yay, easy science.

No problem, I'm here to help. Also probably an approximately dollar value would help analysis. If more people are interested I'll set up a little google form to record this info.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I ordered both of these dresses. The quality is much higher than I expected. The material is really nice.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Joh...2805988517.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/L-5XL-ZANZEA-Retro-Womens-Round-Neck-3-4-Sleeve-Tunic-Baggy-Solid-Casual-Party-Beach/32807881680.html

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

H&M is Swedish so we get it without all the overseas tariffs.

e: Holy loly the women on the US H&M website are like twice the size :laffo:

ee: Even the plus sizes.

Yeah, I'm in the US. I shop at H&M but haven't seen any linen blend maxis where I am. :shrug:

I like breezy dresses for the DC humid roasting subway platforms to freezing AC inside transitions.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 4, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MPGS:
We can still name it after you. What should we call it?

Mocking Bird posted:

My friend in Baltimore currently has an enormous goldfish pillow en route to him to be his phd study buddy, and also some floral totebags because I forgot to change the address back :cripes:

Awww. Study buddies (and good friends) are important!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I just received seeds I didn't order as a gift for ordering seeds. None of the seeds are labeled, but everything I've ordered continues to be what I did order.

I checked the mystery seeds against some pictures of seeds of some illicit substances and no dice.

Gonna go post pics in the plant thread. A mystery!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Very good germination rates, seeds seem to be what was advertised. Just got back from a trip so I'll check my newer seedlings soon!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hm my seedlings were overwatered while I was gone. Will report in about weirder seed-to-plants in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Sorry if this was already posted...

Any recommendations for grow lights?