Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what's 1.5 bringing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I e gotten the synths and it's just an unfun slog of having your space stations blow up with no way to stop it until a timer based event fires. gently caress that crisis.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ITs been a while since I checked in. Do we have any ETA on the next big patch? I've been itching for a game, but it seems like a lot of changes were floating around a while ago.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

He was the best part of a terrible movie, definitely.

Nimoy or Cumerbatch?

The answer is both

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

They really need to just gut out armies entirely and make them a module on a "troop transport" class ship that you build. Kind of like the specialized modules on science ships now. You can have your bone stock survey thing, or you can have one of the fancy pants archeological suites that you research the tech for while buying support from the caretakers. Same thing with transports: start out with standard <species name> army, then have unlockable options for droids, gene warriors, xenos, etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Have troops be a global resource sort of like manpower in other paradox games. You build troops and they go into a pool. When one of your fleets is sieging a planet it pulls the required troops for the invasion from this pool to conduct the invasion. Have ground troops more of a resource rather than units that heal back over time, so if you're conducting a big war with a lot of invasions you'll certainly end up losing troops and needing to be building more of them to replace. This would also make better troop types and tech important and meaningful because it means you might only lose 4 armies over a war instead of 12, saving you minerals from not having to re-build as many armies, and also saving you on army upkeep since you don't need to maintain such a big pool in the first place.

God this. It's just silly that I'm able to put off invading the neighbors until I get whatever non-basic soldiers, build up enough armies that I can overwhelm any ground defense, and then never build armies again because they never get destroyed.

edit: unfortunately this seems like the big kind of mechanic change that won't happen until we get a Stellaris 2

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Did the last patch fix the cheevos or are they still broken?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I've been playing that giant Star Trek mod recently and holy poo poo I am LOVING the way it's handling ships. The short version is that they massively jacked up the fleet cap cost of each type as well as cranking up the mineral cost of building them. Tier 1 poo poo ships take 2 cap and cost ~250 minerals, for example.

The end result is that fleets feel much more like a group of ships that you actually care about rather than a stack of disposable commodities that you really only end up paying attention to the annual cost of replacing attrition.

Does anyone know of a a mod that does something similar for the base game?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

quick question: did they ever fix the mod achievement notification?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

The mandates are both super boring and actually disincentivize building modules after you've satisfied the agenda. They desperately need a re-work. More variety, maybe only push for research stations if there are unused resources nearby or something. I avoid playing democracies because, while the influence is nice the micro it involves is annoying and boring.

Just ignore them. You can overcome the negatives by just supporting your candidate of choice once. It's nice, free influence if you're going to do it otherwise but if it's a hassle just gently caress it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

quick question: did they ever fix the mod achievement notification?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So how broken is 1.6.1? I'm kind of feeling like another game but I'm also wondering if I want to deal with it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

Also people poo poo on missiles all the time but until mid game they work just fine, and by that time you can shift away if the other side is fielding a bunch of point defense. Late game they might be perfectly fine against some enemy setups as well, I haven't done a ton of checking with it.

Missiles are bad because of a fundamental fuckup they made in how they work. If a ship fires a missile and itself gets destroyed, the missile de-spawns. What this means is that the enemy can destroy your ships with lasers or guns and take no damage from the ship they destroyed. It makes missile fleets way less effective than they should be.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Trast posted:

Even though I am enjoying the game I am hesitant to get the DLC now on tje off chance some of them get included in the bundle later. Does that tend to happen with the monthly bundle or is it one good game and half a dozen bjllshit indi games?

DLC goes on sale every once in a while, but it's always older DLC and usually about the time they release a new one. I don't think I've ever seen a humble bundle with just DLC absent the core game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

More planets. Even a poo poo rock with no improvements will have 4-5 tech dealies and basic labs are cheap as gently caress. I don't bother with research stations early game unless it's a 5+ one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

They're great but better later when you're not mineral crunched. It's the early game where tech disparities gently caress you the most.

Not a one size soliton of course. If you made a race of sedentary slow breeders whelp

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Libluini posted:

How long does it take for you guys to complete the precursor-chains now? After Utopia, I got my first completed chain, but since then, nothing. Mostly my chains go through 3-4 anomalies before just stopping. Once in a blue moon there may be 1-2 additional anomalies spawning, but generally after the first century nothing happens anymore.

Is this a bug or are precursor-chains just taking a lot longer now?

I'm going to guess bugged. I"m not seeing any past the 2nd or 3rd event any more.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I've never seen that chain :(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The tutorial is adequate. You will stil end up looking up random poo poo to figure out for example ideal ship builds but it's not as opaque as ck2 or eu4

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Flak

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lol

I finally got to do the What Was Will Be quest line.

I had just finished ascending my pops to all be synths three months earlier. Having your home world turn into a tomb world is no biggie when you're immortal machines

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nalesh posted:

What'd be a good race setup for the first one by the way? Mod traits are fine.

Also would it be possible to go space america in this? Going to war with other factions and liberating them to make them friends? :v:

The environmentalist (or whatever, the one that gives you less consumer goods requirements) trait is obscenely over powered right now. Intelligent is also pretty decent. You can take weak without too many problems to give yourself a few extra points to play with, doubly so if you give yourself syncretic evolution as an empire trait. The long lived trait is also useful for keeping your leaders around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gently caress it, here's a screen shot of my latest species from my most recent play through. This worked INSANELY well.

The non-adaptive bit doesn't hurt much if you run syncratic evolution, as your buddies won't have it. They might not be bright but they're good enough for shoving out the door in a colony ship. Militarist with conservationist works obscenely well for cranking out a big fleet fast and winning an early war. Use your brain dead evo-buddies as cannon fodder. Once you conquer a neighbor you should have a whole different type of ecosystem opened up for colonization.

edit: if you really want to easy mode it start with missiles. They're really good early game when everyone's loving around with corvettes. Transition to ballistics for mid game and a mix of stuff for late game.

Or just start ballistics. That works really well too. I just hadn't done lasers since launch and wanted to dick around with them again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The screen about whether or not achievements are possible is broke as gently caress. Chances are that mod screwed it up for you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

TTBF posted:

That's a shame. I guess I'm done with achievements then because there's no way I'm going to stop using this mod. I have no idea why they patched in an auto-explore research instead of just unlocking auto-explore from the start.

It comes up pretty early. I've never really noticed it being an issue since the last patch.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

That looks significantly more interesting than what we've got now

Yeah.

One thing I would really like is some tweak to how the gently caress they kick off. As it stands every single game I am getting the unbidden. As far as I can tell there are a couple of main reasons for this:

1) synthetics are annoying and easy to avoid. It looks like they are addressing this, which is good.

2) the engine tech that starts the unbidden crisis isn't exactly rare and holy poo poo it's over-powered compared to other modes of transport. It's uniformly better and, once you get a large empire where you might need to move your fleets across space quickly, almost necessary.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

No kidding? Huh. Is there anything I can do to tip the balance?

I've played maybe 10 games through to completion since the last expansion and gotten unbidden every single time.

Edit: no mods so that's not the hang up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hezzy posted:

Well poo poo. Can I cheat to get the shields?

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer now. The shields and the reactor are just so obviously superior to everything else in it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

I get what they're going for with thr Fortress rewards, but given how many there are maybe they should consider making it two randoms from the list instead of just one.

And also make the Automated Dreadnought less garbage thanks.

Eh, I kind of think the dreadnought is in a good place. I mean, it's garbage if you're rolling up on it with a 100k fleet but if you take it on with a 25k fleet (which is doable) then it's a solid addition to your armada. By the late game I just park it at my homeworld in the museum fleet along with whatever ancient shipyard and gas giant recovery ships I've still got kicking around, but it's got a really solid role up until you start facing off against 100k death balls.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ulmont posted:

The only problem with the dreadnought is you can't upgrade the drive. Considering I'm never happy until I have jump drives but usually get the dreadnought well before that, that's a bit of a problem.

Eh, not really. By the time I'm grabbing jump drives I'm far enough along that i can peel it out of my 100k doom stack with 15 battleships and just park it in the museum fleet along with all the other old, free poo poo.

The bigger issue in my mind is how obviously superior to everything jump drives are. I grab them every single game and I think that's a big part of why I never see anything but the unbidden.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Xarn posted:

Got ~140 hours of gameplay and haven't met swarm yet, someone help. :v:

It is probably partially because I research jump drives as fast as I can, but they are too good not to... and when I spent one game just waiting around without researching jump drives and with stagnant empires turned off, still nothing.

This is what I've been saying since forever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Forewarning, long rear end rambling post.

Anyone have any tips for sticking with a game? I have a few things that hold me back from actually getting to end game. I think I have like a few hundred hours and have never gotten to an end game crisis. I always get bored first. Basically:
-I can't not micro or min/max. I don't do it to the 9th degree but I abhor sectors and constantly have to play building games on planets. I'd rather not have a sector if it's planet's are going to count against me for unity and research but I can't trust it to compensate. I'll sacrifice for roleplay, but even still.

-I like to roleplay. I like to keep my fleets, planets, etc named and pick some certain suboptimal choices if it fits the people I'm playing. This gets to be a bitch late game when you just don't care because you're approaching stomp mode and most events don't affect you or you've seen them. I fall into the Paradox pit of not reading any flavor and just clicking buttons.

-End game feels sloggy and bad. Fleets feel totally temporary and ephemeral. Essentially just a physical manifestation of your minerals per month.

-It feels binary. I've won EUIV and HOI battles/wars I shouldn't have, and I feel like I have strategy and control. Paradox always has doom blobs but a shitload of flavor and nuance gets folded into Fleet Power and it sure seems like 25k always beats 20k. Also, as with any Paradox game at launch or near it, you cannot go tall.

-Altogether, combat is more opaque than HOI4's naval combat, I swear. I haven't read the wiki or guides and I would like not to because part of my fun is figuring it out, but drat. I don't know how to figure out if certain classes are effective or not. Moreso are the effective for the cost? Are the fighters and bombers helping? Etc etc.

I think my next tactic will be to play a smaller galaxy. I've always played larger because I'm hoping that mid game will feel more akin to other Paradox grand strategies (it never quite does). At the same time I'm worried I'll be too powerful, too fast. Other than that, I'm at a loss. I might disable some of my mods that add extra ship classes and stuff. I absolutely love the addition flavor and options but that might just be adding complexity that's unnecessary.

I want to like the game more but gently caress if mid to mid-late doesn't bore the poo poo out of me.

Sectors have been improved a lot. If you want to min-max the way to do it is to build up the planet how you want (don't need the upgrades for the building types), throw it into a sector, and tell the sector AI to not redevelop.

I get what you're saying about the fleet sizes. IMO they made a bad choice when it comes to how expensive ships are. There's a great star trek mod out there and one of the best changes it makes is way, WAY upping how much ships cost. THis leads to smaller fleets and losing a ship actually feels like a big deal. A battleship (Galaxy class if you're federation) costs upwards of 8k minerals, for example, rather than the 1500 or so in vanilla. Smaller, more capable fleets go a long way towards making you actually give a poo poo about your ships.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Well that's a first.

I just had humans spawn as a FE

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Huh. Another thing I didn't know could happen. My post-robot transcendence race from my last play through just cropped up as a newly discovered faction way late game. As in robots with the same name I picked when I got to rename myself.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nuramor posted:

So, just ignore the planets natural resources? At what point does that become feasible. Or do you just do that from the beginning?

Well, it helps if the planet that you're specializing has a ton of the resource you want in the first place, but for the most part just consider them bonuses. With the right buildings for +10% production you can frequently get more of your chosen resource than the natural resources.

I mean, some planets make it obvious. That size 16 with two betharian stone? Yeah, it's going to just make a fuckload of energy.

edit: the one real wrinkle is unity since those buildings are one per planet. I generally max out my unity buildings then pick a theme for each planet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I did a pacifist/spiritualist/something else run a few games ago and it just annoyed the gently caress out of me. As soon as I could I supported my empire in going full spiritualist at the expense of pacifist.

Some of the bonuses are nice but gently caress foreign policy becomes a nightmare. I tried the liberation / vassal integration route but even as a huge empire I was knocking off a groups of 1 and 2 planets from neighbors and they would never agree to vassalize. It just ended up with me surrounded by a bevvy of small powers who then all joined into a loving alliance closing off vassilization forever.

I will admit, though, my first non-pacifist war to smash that alliance and take my long overdue spoils was pretty fun.

Right now I'm having a LOT of fun abusing the gently caress out of the +minerals and -consumer goods empire abilities. Minerals are by far the most important resource until the mid game, and going forward they are still a major issue. Putting industrious and conservationist on your species is great, and if you play a hive mind and add ascetic it gets nuts. You will just run the gently caress away with the early game and by the mid game you're just a juggernaut.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ulmont posted:

I don't quite get this part - I can reliably peel off 5 planets and have them accept vassalization immediately.

I was constantly at -10 or so on the vassel request thing. I could never, ever get it to happen. The game kept saying that "population" was the huge issue even when I was a 15+ world empire with full planets trying to get a one-planet nation to accept me as their overlord.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

What were the other modifiers?

Really there should be a larger positive modifier for newly liberated empires to become a protectorate or vassal of the empire that liberated them. If they don't they're pretty much guaranteed to be steamrolled in 10 years. Or worse, they accept someone else's offer before you. :argh:

It's been a while and it was an ironman save so I can't flip back to look at it, but off the top of my head it was a huge + for having liberated them, a smaller + due to them just generically loving me, a large - due to population, a really tiny + due to being threatened, and then the base -50. It was annoying as hell.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Staltran posted:

Building silos is pretty tedious too, especially if you want to make use of the adjacency bonus. And how often do you want to keep more than 20K minerals on hand, anyway?

Probably not the right game for people who mind tedium too much anyway

Late game you need that high cap for some of the mega projects.

. . . unfortunately the only project really worth a drat is the sensor array, and even that isn't a must have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

binge crotching posted:

Humiliate of course being a codeword for murder.

I'd say getting murdered by a bunch of space foxes is pretty humiliating.

• Locked thread