Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm optimistic about this, since it's DeNA involved and they can actually make good gatcha games (unlike say, Gumi).

The fact that it's not just button mashing like Brave Frontier and their ilk is good. Mini-SRPG maps sounds like a fun little thing.

It'll ultimately come down to how useful the lower star units are and if the gatcha rates are anywhere in the realm of sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cheetah7071 posted:

My suspicion is that due to the insanely high pool of available characters (compared to something like Fate/Grand Order where the pool to draw from is relatively limited) they can crank up the chance to get something good/popular fairly high without moving the chance to get something specific outside of whaling range.

Or they could just make the gacha a neverending stream of rolfs and martys I guess

Yeah this is true. They could make it so that there's a set of rate up characters, but make it like 6-7 of them each set, then give the 5 stars a decent rate. That way you have a decent chance of getting something good, but if you want a specific character you're not guaranteed. (Which is what FFRK does)

Of course, the player will actually have some control over what they pull for, since you can pick and choose which of the three types of unit you pull for for a set.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't think weapon equipping is going to be a thing in this game.

Characters are given an innate color based off their main weapon/magic type in the regular FE games, I think any "equipping" will be skills and other passive stuff.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Really?

Huh, I wonder how that's going to work then.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

But what if it's a good phone game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rolling gatcha confirmed.

Also lol at you being unable to see what color units you get until after you commit orbs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cheetah7071 posted:

Key thing here is that there's multiple gachas, which contain different character pools. There was also an "appearance rates" button so maybe you can actually judge just how absurdly rare your favorite is.

That's generally how it works in gatcha games yeah. They have special event pools with "rate up" units in which if you pull on the Gatcha and get a high ranking unit you're much more likely to get one of the advertised units.

As for showing the drop rates they actually have to do that due to Japanese gambling laws.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Since the game has a rolling gatcha it seems I want to know how many pulls it takes to get a 5 star guaranteed. That's important for budgeting reasons.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah I guess the main edge for 5 star units will be things like Brave and Killer weapons rather then raw stats.

Edit: Yeah this is going to be it. According to a translated twitter Q&A (https://twitter.com/FE_Heroes_JP):

"You can boost the rarity of a hero by training them to Level 20+ and consuming items. Each time their rarity increases, their level and stats reset to the Level 1 stats for the new rarity."

Note they say nothing about weapons or skills. So yeah, a formally 1 Star Lucina will probably have the same stats as a native 5 star Lucina, but while 5 star is rocking the Parallel Falchion, the 1 star is still using an Iron Sword.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 31, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's looking like Europeans :argh: are getting it first.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Looks like all ranged attackers in this game are 2 range, not just bows.

Honestly that's probably better for balance.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It looks like Roy's my boy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Second roll, no 5 stars. 4 star Chrom and Robin though.

I think I'll do one last roll to try and get Lyn before saving up for event banners

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Considering my boy Roy has gotten absurdly good level ups in general, it wouldn't surprise me if higher star units have better growth rates.

Edit: It costs Stamina to change your skills? :psyduck:

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 2, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So, uh, I don't see any way to up the Stamina from the base 50.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tae posted:

My opinion is that brave weapons are rear end because the -5 speed basically makes your unit hugely likely to die on the opponent's turn and you don't have enough movement options to make offense that much better

Probably better once levels are high enough to make up for the Speed Penalty.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Peachfart posted:

I got roy. he is 5 star, is he good? i dont like how insanely anime the game is but I wanted to ask first.

Roy's pretty good. Not absolute top tier it seems, but he's pretty good at damage. With Binding Blade he gets +2 DEF/RES on the enemy phase, and can increase Weapon Triangle Effects.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah I'm convinced 5 star characters have better growth rates. This is the second perfect level I'm gotten for Roy and all his levels are good ones.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Biggest complaint is that I can't rearrange units before starting the map.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

m.hache posted:

So can some 3* upgrade to 5*? Is this similar to games like Final Fantasy:BE where units can be awakened to 5*?

Yes.

Clawtopsy posted:

Also, it seems the representatives of your Friends randomly appear in your lobby, and when you touch them, they give you small gifts.

A Nino just swung by and gave me feathers. What do feathers do?

You use Feathers and the items the Training Tower stages give you to upgrade units to higher star values.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Like every other gatcha game there will be special event stages (likely under the Paralogs section), which will probably also supply orbs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Clawtopsy posted:

hooley dooley it takes 20,000 feathers to take someone from 4* to 5*

I think the more badges you chuck at them the less feathers it takes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So looking looking at looking at Cain it seems his gimmick is to charge in, murder something with his Brave Sword and then use all his defensive skills to survive.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cheetah7071 posted:

There will be new content roughly every two weeks, according to the website. might be relatively small though but even a single 5-map chapter is 15 orbs once difficulties are factored in.

Wait where is this info on the site.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Roger Explosion posted:

Oh hey, so three rolls for characters and I get three 5-star Takumis in a row that I can't even merge for whatever reason. You know what game I'm never spending money on ever again? loving this one. :argh:

It's weird but you have to select the character the select the absorbing or absorber slot.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I have a 3 star Gunter who just won't die ever and murders everything. It's hilarious.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zotix posted:

For as many people playing this game, that's actually... Not that good. In 2013 PAD was pulling in 6-7m per godfest. I'm sure many other mobile games have eclipsed that since.

Why are you comparing an event in in a game already established for a year to a game's first day.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Corrin's the main character of Fire Emblem Fates. He/She (you can pick their gender) can turn into a dragon. You usually get a dragon character or two in FE games, Corrin's the first time they're the main character

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If you get a 5 star stop re rolling sheesh.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

inthesto posted:

3* to 4* promotion is 2000 feathers, 2* to 3* is 200

idk if 1* units even exist in this game

The characters you get from the easieat Special stage is 1 star.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nasgate posted:

Also lmao, 3->4 is about 2k and 4->5 is 20k

I think 4 star is probably enough for most imo.

Like, the Lord characters have special 5 star weapons, but most units tend to simply have slightly stronger versions of their 4 star weapon as their 5 star skill, and the stat difference between 4 and 5 star allegedly isn't much.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They're melee mages in this game.

Since all ranged attackers 2 range only here, having a RES targeting melee unit is a niche.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If you're going going to re roll do so until you have one 5 star.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So is Effie supposed to be this untouchable wall of slowly approaching death?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Correct. If a unit dies they don't keep the exp they got that map

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stat ups are fixed.

From what people gather there are a handful of different stat distributions with stat totals within 1-5 points from each other per character.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Really glad I got a 4 star Robin now.

Clarste posted:

Takumi also loses to Takumi since you're not a stupid AI, so there's really no need for a Takumi counter in the meta.

Unless, of course, you don't have a Takumi.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cheetah7071 posted:

It's a faithful remake of a game from before designers knew how to make good games, it has ugly art, and features possibly the worst method of recruiting characters in the entire history of gaming--you access gaiden chapters by having below 15 units remaining alive in your army. The idea being that you would follow the assumptions the designers of the original FE1 made, that you wouldn't restart for dead people, and would refill your ranks with the copious lategame prepromotes. The gaidens take it a step further, by giving you additional experience and characters if you're doing really poorly, but it means that if you want to play those maps or recruit those characters, you have to send your entire army into the meatgrinder.

I think you mean subject them to the Trial by Devil Axe. :black101:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm not letting Tharja get laid

Not even for BLOOD AND THUNDER! (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Barte never was the same after Karla died.