Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That sounds a lot like Steve Blum as Hal.

There's got to be some kind of corollary that once your voice cast goes up above a certain number of actors, Blum just kind of shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

So, if I understand correctly, the host of this is a pro wrestler who does this as a side gig for fun. Who are the other people with him? Also wrestlers?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jimmy Hats posted:

Comic books are batshit loving insane

The Injustice tie-in book is batshit insane by comic book standards, especially if you're at all conversant with modern DC. It was seriously the best book DC was putting out for the first couple of years it was being published, but then it switched writers and things went downhill. The original writer is doing the new comic, however, which begins next month.

Technowolf posted:

Holy poo poo Hal's an idiot.

It's funny. There's been a bit of a flip among comic book fans lately, where people have gone back to older comics and noticed that Hal has always been an idiot, or at the very least, is prone to being featured in stories that revolve around him being stupid and more than a little accident prone. (The first comic in which John Stewart participates in an adventure with the Justice League takes place because a general alert goes out while Hal is in the shower, and Hal promptly slips on a bar of soap and knocks himself into a shallow coma. The ring proceeds to scan him, determines he'll be fine, and goes to grab John so he and it can answer the alert.)

As far as DC itself is concerned, however, Hal is the Greatest Green Lantern of All Time, although the writer that was the most insistent about that has stepped back from the comics.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jimmy Hats posted:

Isn;'t the art in the injustice comics like wildly inconsistent from page to page?

Also this batman face

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/batman-catwoman-face/

That's the face that somebody already posted about, where the inker and colorist botched the job, so the original artist retouched it for the trade paperback release.

The art isn't all that inconsistent, since all the various artists have the same basic style. Due to the pace of the releases, one per week, there's a whole team of guys who take turns drawing the book.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Technowolf posted:

Wasn't there an arc where the Justice League had their secret and super identities separated somehow and it was Eel O'Brian (Plastic Man's secret identity) was the one who got poo poo done and pushed people to start fixing things?

Yeah. Some weird deities were listening at the wrong moment and decided to grant the JLA their wishes, which separated each of them into two people, except for Wonder Woman and Aquaman, who don't really have "secret" identities. Each of the new halves started going slowly nuts in their own ways (Bruce Wayne didn't have an outlet for all his psychotic anger, Green Lantern didn't have any of Kyle's creativity and just hit everything with giant murder weapons), but Plastic Man's"civilian" half was a perfectly self-aware, murderous criminal. His Plastic Man side had his sense of humor, but none of the attached competence.

Plastic Man under Mark Waid was actually a really interesting character, and some writers since then have highlighted how dangerous and smart he actually is. It's weird he just dropped off the planet after the "New 52" reboot.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I hear Power Girl is going to be one of the premium skin for supergirl? What's the difference between the two characters

Power Girl is one of those DC characters who's been systematically hosed with by generations of comic-book writers, to the point where a concise summary of her history is virtually impossible unless you deliberately ignore a lot of things. Part of it is because she's a legacy character from the period of time where there were a few different concurrently-running alternate universes, which they went to great pains to undo and consolidate, and then proceeded to bring back in a big way in the 2000s because of creator nostalgia.

Power-wise, at the moment, she's basically Supergirl, but Power Girl's older, arguably smarter (she ran a scientific research firm in her civilian identity, or she did before the "New 52" thing), much less patient, and has a hair-trigger temper. She also has one of the most notoriously fanservice-y costumes in modern superhero comics.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

LeSquide posted:

At one point, she was an Atlantean!

I almost mentioned the "allergic to artificial sweetener" plot, but decided that was a downward spiral.

I'm actually really interested to see what Netherrealm is going to do to Power Girl's costume. Given some of their previous sartorial disasters, I'm expecting it to either be a vast improvement or somehow even more revealing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Keep in mind that one of the links says this guy is going to be an alt skin for her

It's possible they're planning on using the female Wildcat, which would be a relatively deep dive, but Ed Boon's enough of a DC nut that it wouldn't surprise me. She debuted in Crisis on Infinite Earths, so she's not that obscure.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Somebody--it might have been a goon in BSS--edited that sequence of panels to include the phrase "Fill my hole, Superman," and every time I see those panels, I forget that was an edit for a second.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

That said, Black Adam's super move is rad as hell

It's going to be fun going through story/arcade mode with him and watching him blow the same pyramid to fuckery eight times in a row.

There's probably a really aggravated work crew that keeps having to put it back together to protect the tourism industry, but no, here comes Black fuckin' Adam and whatever tights clown he's pummeling this week--

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Which part of this is the part where there's a Superman from The Actual Real World With DC Comics and Everything who turns evil and tries to kill his writers or something

If I remember correctly, it goes something like this: one of the dozens of alternate Earths before Crisis on Infinite Earths was "Earth-Prime," which was basically the real world with the inclusion of Superboy. That Superboy ended up as the sole survivor of his universe during the Crisis, and went out like a baller at the end of the series by sacrificing himself. He did so alongside a couple of other "orphaned" characters, such as Alexander Luthor (a heroic version of Lex, from a universe where he was the only superhero) and Earth-2's Superman (a version of the character who'd been around for decades, had married Lois, and been allowed to age; his existence was an attempt to reconcile the presence of a Superman in various WWII stories as well as their current output).

Fast-forward to Infinite Crisis. Nobody actually died as a result of that sacrifice, and those characters are becoming a little unhinged due to isolation; they've spent the intervening period trapped together in a pocket universe. At the same time, in a bit of meta-commentary on the trending in '00s-era DC, Earth-1 Superman and Superboy are both extremely concerned about how dark and gritty the superheroes are becoming. Alexander is also quietly manipulating them both; Superboy's still pretty naive and Superman's concerned for Lois, whose health has been in steady decline due to old age.

The plan, such as it is, is to restore the multiverse. Superboy and Alexander think it'll help them make a "perfect Earth," while Superman thinks a return to her native timeline will help Lois recover. At the end of the resulting shenanigans, which is something like six massive threats to the universe occurring simultaneously, Alexander's dead (shot by the Joker), Earth-1 Superman and Lois are dead, and Superboy Prime has gone more or less completely nuts in an extremely meta sort of way, which has ranged from being barely veiled commentary on the comics industry, the DC Universe, and its fans to being not veiled commentary at all.

Alexander did manage to restore the multiverse, however, as this is the start of the "52": the DC Universe consists of fifty-two separate, alternate Earths, which includes the old Wildstorm universe (Gen-13, the WildCATs, the Authority, etc.) and the Crime Syndicate of America (literally a mirror universe where all the heroes are evil, the villains are good, and humans' hearts are on the other side of their bodies).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I just watched a 25 minute video explaining Superboy Prime because of that dudes post and HOLY loving poo poo when did DC comics go full-bore hyper-violent insanity? He is basically at the core of all of DC's comics most convoluted story lines and is Goku-can-go-cry-himself-to-sleep levels of overpowered basically.

It's kind of a long story. Basically, the crop of writers who defined the DC Universe in the 2000s were all pretty prone to shocking levels of bloodshed. You can trace this back to a guy named Dan Didio, who was deliberately trying to create comics aimed towards an audience of continuity-obsessed 45-year-olds, and to Geoff Johns, a writer who combined a deep love and familiarity with the minutiae of the DC Universe with a tendency towards explicit ultraviolence. Many of Johns's most well-known stories are accessible, entertaining, and gruesome as all hell, and often create a massive sense of mood whiplash.

(Johns used to write a book called JSA, about the Justice Society of America, a team of World-War-II-era heroes and their successors and descendants. In one notable issue, the B-plot involved a teenage girl having fun as she designed her first costume and adopted a heroic identity. The A-plot was about a team of Nazi supervillains seeking out and murdering the descendants of various WWII heroes, which included a scene in which one of them used super-speed to liquefy a child, which took place on-panel.)

As a comics history side note, a book came out in 1999 called The Authority, by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch, which began something that some people call the "widescreen" trend. Basically, the idea was that working in superhero comics means you have an unlimited special-effects budget, so there's no reason not to turn all your dials up to eleven; the Justice League shouldn't be fighting a group of masked goons in an abandoned warehouse when they could be fighting a super-powerful team of Martians all over the planet. Some writers responded quite well to this, such as Grant Morrison; others went way, way over the top and made a mess. With guys like Johns, that meant that there was no reason why a villain would simply kill one random bystander to establish he's a threat, when instead, he could fill a morgue.

Eventually, this led to Infinite Crisis, which was, above and beyond absolutely anything else, an attempt by Johns to undo a bunch of changes that had occurred in the DC Universe over the course of the last twenty years or so. A bunch of characters were brought back from the dead, such as Barry Allen and Jason Todd, and a bunch more were messily slaughtered.

As for Superboy Prime, he's kind of interesting in a way. You may have noticed that a lot of people online will talk about "Pre-Crisis" vs. "Post-Crisis" Superman. This is because Superman was reinvented in the '80s, which reestablished what was and wasn't canon about his history (i.e. whether or not he spent time as "Superboy" when he was a kid, whether or not Jonathan Kent was still alive, etc.) and both reduced and reexamined his powers. The earlier versions of Superman, from comics' "Silver Age," were so powerful that he was difficult to tell stories about; he could casually travel through time, circle the world in a couple of seconds, sneeze hard enough to destroy solar systems, and so on. The idea behind the reboot was to bring him closer to Earth and make it so various enemies could actually pose a threat to him.

Superboy Prime, on the other hand, is explicitly the pre-Crisis version of the character. He spends a lot of his time on-panel, particularly in Infinite Crisis, talking about how good life used to be and how great it could be again if people would just shut up and let him get his way. He's a barely-veiled metaphor for the Silver Age nostalgia that his author had spent years trying to bring back... but because of his author's other tendencies, Superboy Prime was also a remorseless killer who was more than a match for the modern Superman. He spends the back half of Infinite Crisis murdering Z-list characters one after the other and complaining that it's not his fault; simply being forced to exist in the dark, gritty modern DCU is making him into a psychopath.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Netherrealm-style Wonder Twins would be an interesting choice, since it'd basically be a stance system where the girl turns into an animal and the boy is some weapon made of ice that the animal is wielding.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've always wondered, which of the Green Lanterns is actually the most popular? Like, I guess Hal Jordan must be well-liked but all I ever hear/see is people mocking or complaining about him being a putz.

If you're an old comics grognard, it's Hal, because he was the Green Lantern from the '60s onward.

If you're a little younger, it's Hal or possibly Guy, although Guy's predominant character trait has always been "lovable rear end in a top hat."

If you're a lot younger, it's probably Kyle, who had some really good stories in the '90s, but DC got taken over by big Silver Age fans in the '00s and sidelined Kyle for Hal.

If you're a DC Animated Universe fan, it's John.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I feel like a lot of these super moves are just refugees from the NRS Fatality folder.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Gosh, I am so excited for this game. I want to play another fighting game in the mean time but I don't know what else I am interested in at this point. I guess I can play Injustice 1 .

Play MKX. A lot of the characters in Injustice 2 are partially inspired by various MK characters (i.e. Sonya and Black Canary), so you'd be getting a bit of a leg up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

So who are all those characters who got their heads blown off in this week's comic?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jimmy Hats posted:

Wait, Harley killed Lobo?

If you aren't familiar with the comics, it's probably useful to point out here that pulling Lobo's head off is not enough to kill him.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Constantine in a fighting game should have exactly two attacks: a weak punch that does no damage and flicking a half-smoked cigarette at somebody. When the fight starts, a timer with a random duration starts ticking down, and the challenge is to KO Constantine before whatever plan he set into motion takes you out.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Is Firestorm in the comics the same two dudes as in the TV show or are they just going with the TV version since it's the most well known?

It looks like it's Jason Rusch driving with Martin Stein in the co-pilot's chair, which is what it was in the comics the last time I looked. He's a college student with a complicated relationship with his dad.

Jax from "Legends of Tomorrow" is based on a relatively obscure supporting character from Firestorm's old book in the '80s. I assume they used him because they needed a character who had more of a relationship with Ronnie Raymond.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm disappointed they went with the vacuous sexbomb New 52 design for Starfire. It's easily the worst costume she's ever had.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Just read the latest issue of the weekly comic.

Well, Ray Palmer's gonna die. I have kind of a bad feeling about Barbara, too, since she isn't in the game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I wonder if Sub-Zero's intro animation will still be him narrowly escaping Scorpion's death blow.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I was touched when Superman proposed to Batman at the reception.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm a little disappointed that Vixen is a reskin for Cheetah, but I suppose that's better than Vixen not being in the game at all.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

EDIT: And for anyone curious about the voice actors on the game

Wow. I'm not sure how they managed to avoid Troy Baker being in it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Hey, cool. Megalyn Echikunwoke is the same actress who plays Vixen in the "Arrow"-verse.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

If anything she should have been a clone alt-of Beast Boy, since her powers are closer to his than they are Cheetah's. If BB was going to turn into different animals to attack, she could just have an animal-glowing-silhouette around her human character model.

If my understanding of Vixen's powers are correct. My only exposure to her comes from Justice League Unlimited. Also, assuming BB was one of those silhouette's from the DLC teaser. I've heard rumors he was one of them, so if I'm wrong ignore this post.

Beast Boy is dead as hell in the Injustice universe, on-panel and everything, but I suppose the DLC doesn't necessarily have to be story-compliant.

IIRC, Vixen pulls from the morphogenetic field, or the "Red," to acquire animal traits as powers, much in the same way Animal Man does.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Is Deadshot known for anything but jobbing?

He's been one of the breakout characters in a couple of different "villain protagonist" DC series, he's had two well-regarded solo books, and he and Waller are the only real core members of the Suicide Squad. At this point, his origins as a throwaway Bat-villain are more or less forgotten.

His daughter Zoey was introduced in his 2005 limited series, and she shows up in his arcade ending.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ending thoughts: They might almost be better off going from Superman's ending than Batman's. That sets up a major threat from the jump and keeps Superman from being a cartoon villain who just keeps coming back.

What's going to be fun is when they start having to come up with obscure characters because Tom Taylor's already killed everyone else. I'm surprised we haven't seen Wildstorm characters before now; Grifter and Midnighter in particular are practically made for this kind of system, and Midnighter and Apollo would be useful inclusions in a game where Superman's evil and Batman's a mind-controlled drone.

HebrewMagic posted:

Who's dick do I gotta suck for playable Spider Jerusalem

Oh, it's not just one dick. It's that the first one is Warren Ellis's, and since his every cell is 90% whiskey, you'll be too drunk to notice what happens next.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

A strange compulsion hit me and I did a very silly thing with a dummy account and a gorilla mask. Here is a tiny clip of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkKRet2i5TU

If you don't know who I am parodying, god bless for not knowing the dregs of the FGC. I don't know why I did it but once the thought hit, it had to be done.

I wish I'd come up with "LowTierGrodd" as a handle.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

injustice wonder woman is so messed up it makes me feel kind of bad that theres no proper wonder woman video games or anything to counterbalance it. i hope the next DC fighting game isnt in the injustice universe so we can get some proper wonder woman

I went back and watched the original game's story mode, and the scene where she recruits all the Amazons to her side with one speech is some proper-rear end Wonder Woman.

There's got to be something in the background of Injustice Wondy that they've never gone into, the same way there's a lot different about Injustice Superman's background.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

Two opinion based questions: firstly, does Catwoman look like she's based on somebody? I feel like she is but I can't place her, same with Wonder Woman, though I think WW might be Lynda Carter.

I suspect that the facial animations were done by putting an actual actor in a motion-capture suit, which means you might recognize whoever played her. I'm having a hard time finding out who if anyone was the model, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

I really like this green arrow is the comics one similar

Injustice Ollie is very much the "classic" Green Arrow. The currently-running comic owes a lot more to the "Arrow" TV show. Ollie is younger and the book's surprisingly grim.

Much like William Riker, Oliver Queen is much more enjoyable when he has a beard. You might check out the 2000s run of his comic; the first arc is very continuity-heavy because they had to bring him back to life, but after that, Brad Meltzer takes over as the writer and it's an easier, more fun read.

Unlucky7 posted:

The thing about Injustice is that Superman's downfall is less from his decision to kill Joker and more a complete failure of his own support system. Batman is kind of a real crappy friend (And I wish this got a bit more play), and Wonder Woman is literally the devil on his shoulder enabling his worst impulses.

Yeah, IJ!Wondy is way more martial than the typical Diana, even right at the start. There's a story there that nobody's gotten around to telling. Maybe her earliest adventures in "Man's World" went worse for her.

IJ!Superman has also got to be way less tested and experienced than a typical canon Superman would be. Brainiac never came to Earth before IJ2, and Lex's a good guy. That's a good 50% off the top of a typical Superman's workload, to the point where I'm not even sure what other villains he'd be fighting. Toyman?

And yeah, this is very much Batman at his most paranoid and distrustful, who has learned almost none of the lessons that the main DCU comics Batman had to get pummeled into him over the course of several years. You can see that in the mirror match fight in the first Injustice's story mode; IJ!Batman is used to acting unilaterally, while the main universe Batman has a lot more faith in his allies and teammates.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Edit: So with the whole Brother Eye thing - is that from Futures End? or was brother eye before that?

Edit again spoilered it even though it's not really a spoiler but some people haven't gotten the game yet.

Brother Eye goes back to a book Jack Kirby created in the '70s called OMAC, One Man Army Corps. It showed up later during Infinite Crisis (I think) as Batman's way-too-easy-to-hack surveillance satellite.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Xeremides posted:

Constantine has plenty of tools besides manipulation. Gold knuckles for punches, his legs to dick kick or oval office punt, his revolver, holy water bombs, his holy shotgun, and that flamethrower thing he has. On top of that, his special ability could be drawing non-egyptian inspired seals or sigils in the air that grant random status buffs to self or debuffs to enemies. His ult could be summoning Trigon, whispering into his ear while pointing at you, after which he'll lean against something, light up a ciggy, take a drag, and grin as Trigon mollywhops the everliving poo poo out your enemy.

It has been an established trait of the character for more than 25 years that John Constantine could not fight his way out of a wet paper bag. He routinely loses fistfights with completely ordinary people.

He'd be a great protagonist for a series of horror games with a heavy investigation element, but he's totally out of place in a fighting game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

What other things have the watchman appeared in

They had that Saturday morning cartoon for a while.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

fadam posted:

I know there's a meme on SA about Red Hood being lame but I have a hard time imagining anyone watching that trailer and not thinking its rad as hell.

Injustice is a peek into a universe where standard edition angry King of Atlantis no-beard Aquaman is actually pretty baller, so all rules are suspended.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jason should blurt out "Not again..." if he's hit with Joker's super.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Huh. Evo 2016 runback match at Combo breaker.

Jimmy Hats posted:

She's just there because she's a wonder woman villain and the movie is coming up

You know, I would have said she didn't have a lot of villains who'd be good in a fighting game, but after seeing what they did with Scarecrow, I'm genuinely curious how NRS would design Dr. Psycho.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wouldn't Beast Boy be an absolute nightmare to code and render in 3d?

Theoretically, if they made it so he only shapeshifted briefly as part of special moves, the way Ivy or Hal will whip plants or constructs out of nowhere for a second before they disappear, that wouldn't be too terrible. It's still enough that I doubt they'd do it, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Spawn seems like somebody's dream rumor. If there's anybody on that list I do believe, though, it's Black Lightning. He's got a show coming out in the fall and I want to say he was in the comic briefly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

majority if not all of those interactions are extremely non-specific. sounds like they just recycled a lot of generic responses that could be deployed at any character. I didn't hear a single character mention Jason's name but that's to be expected from DLC characters post-launch. still, I expected at least a little more effort for their DLC cast.

It seems like the voice actors' strike really hurt this game in particular. It's not just the DLC characters; there's a lot of recycling going on in the out-of-the-box cast's lines as well, particularly vs. Darkseid.

• Locked thread