Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I feel like for as long as Bisping is champion, we need to have this quote:

“Let me put it like this, I’ve sparred with Luke Rockhold recently and let’s just say, I’m the unofficial Strikeforce champion."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Fat Twitter Man posted:

For whatever reason people didn't really admit Rockhold's flaws and limitations as a striker even after Vitor punked him. You can't really just write it off as "TRT" when a guy's entire striking game is shut down like that.

(I have now made two posts in a row about Vitor and don't know how I feel about that)

Rockhold wasn't shut down really. Vitor was moving well which made it hard for Luke to get anything going, but at the same time Vitor wasn't really doing much better on the feet. Both guys were getting countered on when they tried to close the distance, so we got a bunch of staring and tepid leg kicks and spinning poo poo until Vitor's spinning poo poo actually landed and stopped the fight.

Also I consider Vitor's late career resurgence as a result born out of PED usage - I don't think he would've been able to commit to the kind of training needed to develop a well-rounded kicking game in a 3-4 year period without having loads of drugs that helped him with recovery.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Tsyni posted:

I think TJ gets all hot and bothered again and gets beaten by Garbrandt. I just want champions to win, I don't care who. Defend a belt for the love of god, is all I ask.

if defending a belt were easy it'd be called jiu jitsu

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

The more I think about TJ + Bang and their kickboxing formula, and the way garbrandt attacks, Im leaning towards a KO a little bit. Not sure for which guy. Probably garbrandt

TJ leads with his head a lot (trying to bait for a counter) and I think this is a bad idea against Cody.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

Also Valentina is getting talked up as Nunes' next challenger, but I think Pennington has earned her shot imo

Pennington is clever but iirc injuries have been nagging her forever. Also Miesha Tate stinks and is now physically shot so I don't put too much weight into Rocky beating that rear end.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

In general, I do not take wins over "ranked WMMA bantamweight" to mean anything because the fighters in the division are so flawed. This is a case where the fighter with 2 wins on free TV main events should get the shot over some nobody.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

Got to say I'm a bisping fan which is why it's going to be so bittersweet when Yoel Romero brutally KOs him after cheating a bunch.

:ssh: if we're lucky bisping will cheat a bunch too

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Rigel posted:

This podcast with Alex Jones has started recording, and Eddie Bravo is apparently there too. No way I'm listening to that shitshow.

ahahahahahahaha

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

cung le getting beat up never gets old

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

he almost looks like some kind of realistic animated practice dummy in that gif with the way he's stumbling around providing the minimum possible resistance

if only he let the punches pass underneath him, neutralizing their momentum

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Thrifting Day! posted:

I have a sore back today after a gym session.

Could someone please explain to me the correct deadlifting process from end to end?

quote:

1.Walk to the bar. Stand with your mid-foot under the bar. Don’t touch it with your shins yet. Hip-width stance, toes out 15°.
2. Grab the bar. Narrow, about shoulder-width apart. Arms vertical from the front-view, hanging just outside your legs.
3. Bend your knees. Keep going until your shins touch the bar. Don’t move the bar. Keep it over your mid-foot.
4. Lift your chest. Straighten your back. Don’t move the bar. Don’t drop your hips. Don’t squeeze your shoulders-blades.
5. Pull. Take a big breath, hold it and stand up. Keep the bar against your legs. Don’t shrug or lean back at the top.
You’ve finished your Deadlift when you’ve locked your hip and knees.
6. Return the weight to the floor by pushing your hips back first. Bend your legs once the bar reaches your knees. Let the weight of the bar pass underneath your hips, neutralizing it. Don’t bend your knees first or you’ll hit them with the bar.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Trast posted:

I'm fine with that. The only thing I can see hindering her is some weird grudge Dana might have for her since he's still tight with Ronda.

Dana does not have a grudge with Miesha at all

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Rigel posted:

Apparently replay is currently available in Nevada, who knew?

The UFC installed hardware for instant replay at MGM or Mandalay Bay during Keith Kizer's reign, and upon seeing all the extra monitors he got really mad and unplugged them all.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Tsyni posted:

What about that other judoka who trained with Rousey or something. I remember her being bigger than Ronda and seemingly badass, maybe was training MMA. Younger too I think? Saw an interview with her but i can't remember the details.

You talking about Kayla Harrison? She's years away from being good and also she's big.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

Marina Shafir is a "Horsewoman" that did judo with Ronda growing up. She is bad at fighting, currently with a 1-2 record

Kayla Harrison is signed to WSOF, but hasn't fought yet

Marina is pregnant as hell.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Rigel posted:

Might be useful information for WME. If it does, say 100k buys, then they will know that is the amount of buys they can expect from ANY UFC PPV with a title in the main event. Going forward, they can then tell their stars that the first 100k doesn't count for anything, and they get PPV bonuses based on how well they can beat that number.

Pretty sure PPV points work on a sliding scale of buys already.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I miss fatherdog already.

This wouldn't happen if Nitro was on Tuesday :colbert:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

He's right, that fight sucked.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Captain Log posted:

If you don't know a bride who has missed dress weight you don't get invited to many weddings.

or all your friends are fat

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

or opened up a steak house

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

or recently fired mike dolce

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Captain Log posted:

The keyword here is, "friends." I at least have some that are breeding.

I'm not sure what you are boasting about here, but I'm sure it's not as cool as you think it is.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

LHW is a goddamn garbage fire and UFC doesn't even care to try and fix it. https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/830218748195909638

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cloOJMNjNE

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Rigel posted:

The UFC hasn't confirmed it, but ESPN is reporting that Jedrzejczyk will fight Andrade in Dallas at UFC 211 on May 13

Cool fight

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I'm hoping Hendricks at 185 will be a good and fun thing.

he's too short to be fighting there

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I am on a plane and I can tell you that Joe Rogan wrote a one page fluff piece about Valentine's Day for American Airlines' magazine, American Way.

He still managed to work in a conspiracy theory.

gonna need a photo

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

it'd be funny if floyd managed to get a GNP stoppage

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

Changing the subject from boring as gently caress to vaguely perturbing,

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQe-NhbBzf3/

Either Kelvins taking his diet srsly or hes on the juice?????

he looks the same, maybe a bit fatter

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

If name changes didn't cost 500 dollars I'd change my name to "Big" Kelvin

Work Friend Kelvin

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

gsp will win- tyron will win- if gsp fights tyron? the fans will win :greencube:

let the great performer do his flip in front of you and tell me you won't smile and be entertained then

gsp vs. tyrion woodley might be very bad and boring

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

tesilential posted:

Almost everybody had a size advantage against BJ, that was kinda his thing. But anyways what would Bendo actually do in that fight? His striking sucks and I don't see him being able to hold down or GnP BJ Penn. I mean Pettis outgrapped Bendo in both fights. BJ would have boxed him up.

Body kicks, leg kicks, punches to the thigh, confuse BJ with his luxurious flowing mane, Benson Henderson defeats BJ Penn via split decision (48-47, 49-46, 46-49).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Thats just his sister, or a series II genetically identical but xx clone from the same government program.

Cloning is unethical and I think it is unconscionable that there is another Sage out there causing envy and lust now for all genders.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Frog Princess posted:

As a straight-ish man I would rather have sex with Sage than that ugly sister.

gently caress Yeah, it's been a while since we talked about who personally we would gently caress.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Sage and Colby are really perfect and I would love to become good friends with them

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

At that point in time, the UFC was only doing like a dozen-ish cards a year with plenty of room to grow. Now we're sitting on ~card a week and they're losing prospects and names to other orgs.

I already don't give a gently caress about most of any given card and I'm a fan.

If I had to guess, WME plans to run way fewer shows.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Rigel posted:

re: the "fewer cards" thing, I don't think it'll be much fewer. They'll probably go away from having Thursday/Friday/Saturday cards, or 2 cards in one night where there's an international one during the day and something in Vegas at night, but we'll probably still have an average of 3.5 events per month. They still need to have volume to sell for the next TV deal.

I think the cards will be a lot shorter and more stacked on star power. Also probably they'll have fewer PPV's but more TV cards.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

hendo is the greatest

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

chaleski posted:

Browne is similar to Overeem in that they immediately throw all fight IQ out the window as soon as they get tagged and instead skitter around helplessly

skittering around helplessly is browne's MO, not a consequence of getting punched or anything else.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Ehh...I am not imprezz by your wealth manage ment, and I look forward to teach you how to invest in the near future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

GSP has been away for a LONG time and we don't know what kind of shape he'll come into in 2017. If Conor can enforce a similar kind of distance that Nick did (I'm skeptical, but it's possible), he could create problems for GSP.

• Locked thread