Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm playing Tales of Berseria and I'm deep in a hole of chaining battles and combos to get high Grade and learn skills quickly. I spent over an hour going two screens North then two screen south because I kept hunting down fights. Going from earning one skill point per battle to earning 5+ is a big part of this enthusiasm, but I know I should muscle through the story until the last two characters join my party.

I've also been playing Factorio after caving and paying full price. I beat the mini tutorial campaign and in my sandbox game I've just put together some electric engine processing which opened up drones and the logistics network, so now all I want to do is have assemblers making end products dump them into logistic chests so I can have a network of drones able to build anything and everything I need. Like trains and fluid processing before it, it will take a minute for me to wrap my mind around roboports work, but once I get some in roads it'll be time for me to expand into hostile territory before researching circuit networks and really going nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

There's a game that's been nagging at me, but I can't remember the title and I don't have a lot to go on. Maybe someone else's memory will be dinged by the rather vague description I can give. It was a Japanese game that I'm fairly certain was released for the PS2. It was an RPG, and I think it was in fact a tactical RPG. The story has some similarities to Demon's Souls, in that your character enters a kind of forbidden land that's been overtaken by hostile, demonic forces and sort of magically separated from the rest of the world, and the tone and atmosphere was rather similar as well. I recall the protagonist was female, but there might have been a choice between a male and female PC? There was also an LP up of it on LP archive, but I guess I didn't bookmark it. It's not an SMT game -- the setting was kinda medieval/renaissance-esque. There was also a main town hub with a good number of NPCs.

When you say Japanese, do you mean it never got a US release? Is it one on this list? http://www.gamefaqs.com/top10/2755-the-top-10-ps2-japan-only-games-you-may-not-know-rpg

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Shadow Hearts Covenant has a character whose special ability is the asking photos of things.

Rival Schools has a fighter who uses a camera as a weapon.

Mad Max has a great camera mode.

Michigan: Report from Hell takes place entirely through a camera's viewfinder.

But the standout choice for camera game has to go to my boy Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

PS4 Yeoman

PS4 Apprentice

PS4 Journeyman

*tearfully, but also proud* PS4 Pro

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Oh no, this game very few people have played is so much harder than the game everyone has had years to practice! It'll take like a week before someone uploads a series of SL1 naked/barehanded runs through each stage and people pounce on doomsayers for not "gitting good"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Phantasium posted:

You're already too late, people already figured out how to take out the super challenging boss from the demos in a single hit with no weapon.

Watch this space for my upcoming video, "NG+ Nobunaga Naked lvl 1 with dance pad"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMLkBf9Z_ko

e: Whoa boy, that's a bad thumbnail.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 6, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Verdict on nioh after 4-ish hours: Eh, it's okay. I don't really see where the praise it got in reviews is coming from, imo it's not hard in the fun way where the difficulty comes from enemy and area design. The damage between you and enemies is really imbalanced- standard enemy types are pretty easy even if they can stun lock you to death in one combo, and big enemy types and bosses are way overpowered and can kill you in two hits. There's no compromise. The combat is fun though, the multiple stance thing is a cool idea.

If I can get through the spiders I'll probably finish it. I regret buying it for 60 bucks.

I think there' more Ninja Gaiden in the formula than you were expecting. It also requires re-thinking how you approach combat, as Bloodborne has probably left you with some habits that don't jive here. Since there were three trial periods it's been possible for some people to practice Nioh's fighting style before being thrown into the game, which makes the learning curve a lot smoother. Your verdict reads almost exactly like someone who plays a Souls game for the first time: enemies are too hard and I die too often.

Here are some things to consider if you haven't already: Your equipped weight effects your Ki recovery and how much Ki is used when blocking. If you are wearing light armor, you want to be more evasive, and if you are wearing heavy armor, you can afford to block heavy attacks without getting stunned. Use your stones to single out enemies, and use your items liberally in general. Bombs seem plentiful and once you hit the limit (10 for basic, 5 for big) you can't pick up more. Put a point or two into Onmyo and Ninjitsu (Magic and Dexterity) so you can learn some self buffs like the elemental enchantments for your weapon and power pills, then use them on anything that looks remotely challenging. Pop them before walking into yokai mist. Use your Guardian Spirit ability liberally as well; it's triangle and circle when the circle in the upper left is full. It boosts your stats and provides some invincibility, and it fills up very quickly in between difficult fights (at least in my case). If you are getting stun locked mash out your Guardian Spirit, I've been able to activate it in between the second and third - and fatal - blows from a Yokai and it's a great life saver. Try a different weapon for a while. Don't worry about not being spec'd for it because respeccing is fairly cheap. Using different weapons builds their proficiency and earns you samurai skill points that you can dump into your preferred weapon. These points also get refunded during the respec, so don't worry about making mistakes. That said, the first abilities you should learn are the ones that effect all the weapon types because they offer boosts you'll be using constantly. If managing your Ki is tripping you up, practice with smaller combos and Ki Pulsing outside of combat. If you stack two elemental debuffs on an enemy it'll create a new debuff that really fucks the enemy up. This can be done by bringing a Guardian Spirit with a different element from your Onmyo enchantment, so keep that in mind if you hit a wall.

It's a lot faster than Dark Souls, maybe faster than Bloodborne. Getting in to do some damage and getting out to zone your opponent are key skills and it's easy to get carried away with a combo that leaves you without Ki to block or dodge. Even big enemies who can kill you in one hit have moves that can be exploited, it just takes patience.

But hey, if you still don't like it that's fine. There's going to be lots of good games this year.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Those are good tips, thanks. I'm glad you can respec because the game as far as I am aware did not tell me you can do that, so I've been weighing my stat choices far heavier than I probably should.

Yeah, I didn't know that you had played the demos so I'm sorry if that post sounded like I was talking down to you. You can buy the respec item at the blacksmith for 10k (the price increases with each purchase) and I'm pretty sure it'll be an item that can be found in levels, too. So go nuts with your levels.

In Training posted:

I'm glad Nioh already has a crowd dedicated to the GameFAQs style posting to killed thousands of people's interest in the Souls series immediately

Is this directed at my post, or is there a level of "git gud, it's so easy" that's floating around elsewhere? I think the worst are people proclaiming to have the one good build and recommends everyone else play the same way. All points into Strength, high stance Axe will probably get you through the game, but so will nearly any combination of stats and skills.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In Training posted:

Yeah I just meant the tendency for people to drop huge walls of text at a moments notice about how to play :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM

:)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

You can also press the Options button on any equipment or status screen and get a definition of what everything means. So instead of scratching your head about what "vs Yokai realm" means, the game will tell you in clear terms that it's your resistance to having your Ki sapped when standing in a yokai's impure circle. I think Dark Souls did that too, but there's a lot more granular bonus that equipment can confer in Nioh, and there's a page in the Status tab that lists all the active bonuses from equipment and Guardian Spirits. I don't know if that also includes the bonuses gained from earning titles or the kodama blessings, but it a cool way to review and see what synergies you've got going on. I found some light armor that made evading cost less Ki and it's really shaped my playthrough so far (just beat the bat caves).

It's a good game and I like talking about it. I'll be here all day.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I cannot deny the pleasure I get from killing a giant and letting my combo slice off his head, arms and legs while golden items spew forth from his corpse like an opulent geyser. I promise I'm not going to keep white knighting this game, but one positive that comes from the glut of items is that it helps get rid of the "vial run" part of Bloodborne's loop. If you go through a stage and hit a wall with the boss, and are now almost out of surplus elixirs, you can offer up all the trash to the gods in a very quick and easy way, and that will give you experience and items. It's a nice feature I've used in the demos and in the game so far, and even though I've only gotten 5-7 elixirs each time it's always been enough to get me through the stage. And if you do have to make a run for elixirs, you'll get more equipment that can be offered for better return on your time investment. The Nioh equipment loop has a rough start because you'll be examining everything you pick up until you have a full set of weapons and armor, but after that you can just hoover up what gets dropped and check it once and a while, like at a shrine, to see if you picked up anything better than what you're using.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Lobok posted:

Post what you want, man. Don't be self-conscious about discussing how cool a new game is. That's half the fun of these forums!

I think it's real cool guys.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I need to experiment with Soul Matching. I've put it on the backburner since I don't have a lot of weapons with abilities that can be inherited yet. Is there an incentive to start earlier?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I wonder if there will be smithing texts for the plate armor from the tutorial. It'd be a neat gimmick to keep glamoring all your equipment to be medieval-looking. For now I'll be content making every good helmet I find look like the London guard's top hat.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm brainstorming ideas of parenting books for gamers

Player Three Press Start

Min/Maxing Your Baby's Stats

You Must Gather Your Party: Social Primer On Child Raising Etiquette

Alistair to Zeromus: The Gamer's Book of Baby Names

What Should I Know Before I Play Peek-a-boo?

Feeding Macros, Remote Distractions, and 99 Other Ways to Get Game Time While Raising a Child

DIY Anime Crib Hacks

I might become a father this year. Ultrasound on Valentine's Day.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 8, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Ekster posted:

Princess Maker teaches gamers all they need to know about parenting.

Except how to dress them.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Having a playable demo that I enjoy makes me more likely to preorder a game. I wish there had been a demo for No Man's Sky.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

MMF Freeway posted:

Canadians are paid only in coinage so if they don't spend it soon it becomes hard to carry around.

You can't fool me, I'm familiar with Canadians and their habits. Although it is difficult to go about your business with a billfold bursting with these guys

Strip clubs in the great white north are a nightmare with all the feathers and squawking, and when you try and break a ten or twenty they give you change in the form of loons duct taped into pairs. It's a crazy country but god bless them.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CJacobs posted:

It is, I do it every time I go to Olive Garden :shrug:

Yeah, it's certainly being rolled out through larger chains of sit-down restaurants. They're at Red Robin and Applebee's too. Sometimes I'll forget I can use the machine so I'll look like a goober waiting for my server to bring me a check before they politely explain what the large black box I moved out of the way when I sat down is supposed to be used for.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

The united states sounds like a living nightmare

It's not so bad. It's getting worse in a hurry though.

I mean, uh, lol just lol if you aren't a white male Christian millionaire.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

bloodychill posted:

Texas summers, like most things about Texas, loving suck.

It's why I left for beautiful Ohio.

Oh god, is this what Stockholm syndrome feels like?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

What part of Scotland, what part of Russia?

The bad part, the bad part

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

i went to play in arcades last week for the first time and everyone was incredibly nice and friendly and coached me through every match vs great players and i learned way more than i could learn on my own so i'm gonna trudge to the middle of nowhere tomorrow in my city through a foot of snow and get a really sore neck hunched over in a folding chair for 5 hours to do it again

I'm in a pinball league and go to some tournaments where the same people I play with weekly are also competing. One thing I find really cool and I don't experience enough of is the sharing of knowledge that comes from social gaming events like that. There's a new pinball table based on Batman '66 and it's fun to watch someone play, notice something, then talk about what happened, why, and how to do it again. Or if someone is very familiar with a table and I'm not, I can ask for a pointer about what lights the multiball locks or what good scoring strategies are. Even if the person is someone I'm playing against that week, pinball always seems more cooperative than competitive since it's dependent on your own skill and knowledge.

There's a similar feeling that surrounds the Souls community, or the Nioh community for a very current example. Being able to take advantage of other people's knowledge and sharing my own adds a level of enjoyment that is hard to quantify, but it's why I get these games on day 1. In a month all the mystery will be gone.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

What is the smartest thing to do with the 3000 pieces of equipment I've picked up in the first few levels of nioh

Also is soul matching the only way to upgrade a weapon/is it best to do that or just forge something new

If you're outside of a mission you can disassemble your equipment at the smithy. Make sure you look through your inventory and equip what you like and lock (Square) anything you want to keep. In the disassemble menu you can check everything that's not currently equipped or locked with R2. Doing this will break down items into materials. You can use the Forge ->Tools menu to upgrade your materials' quality by combining lower grades into higher grades. This way you'll be flush with materials for when you want to start forging things.

I don't have much experience with Soul Matching but the way I understand it is that it's best for moving a bonus that can be inherited (it'll have a []->[] icon next to the bonus) onto a new weapon. It can also increase the level of existing equipment by matching your preferred, low level item with anything that's a higher level; the prefered weapon will increase in strength. Again, I haven't done that yet, I've been fine with the equipment I find. Forging is a bit of a gamble since using the highest quality materials doesn't guarantee the highest quality product, but if you get in the habit of disassembling old equipment you should be able to pull the lever several times until a purple pops out.

Note that you can also offer your equipment at shrines to get Amrita (experience) and some restoratives, but I would only recommend that if you are in the middle of a mission and feel like you are low on elixirs/just short of enough exp for a level. In general the materials are going to be more useful.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

One of them is that hypersexualized drawing of Strawberry Shortcake someone drew on the internet.

Not to bring up "What's Wrong With Japan" exhibit of that Bombergirl game again, but I think the "someone" you're referring to here is Penny Arcade. Maybe. I don't know how many hypersexualized drawings of Strawberry Shortcake there are on the internet but PA certainly did one.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm going to take a guess and say more than 2

I think the real (gross) question is: are there more hypersexualized drawings of Strawberry Shortcake characters -or- more sexualized drawings of the Strawberry Shortcake characters that try to draw them "on model." I don't think you can keep them on model and make them hypersexualized and I do not wish to debate this.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Ekster posted:

The internet has enabled all of the world's degenerates to mingle and bring their perverse art to ever deeper lows.

I guess you can call forum posting an art

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Dookieshed, huh. Like a craphouse? Poophut? Number 2 Lean-To?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

bloodychill posted:

Rosalina is an evolved star and Daisy is an evolved fire flower, obviously.

Whoa.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

For Honor ate up more of my Nioh time than I was expecting. It's a strange fighting game with light MOBA elements more than the Smite-like I think I was envisioning. Every mode has been fun and it has a multiplayer territory system like that Soul Caliber game so every match in some way helps a much larger battle. There a strange jankiness to the combat at times with the way characters go into their attacks or block, but I know a lot of that is just me not being familiar with the system. It feels like there a lot of depth in the fighting system that I won't completely glen until I watch some videos.

The wife also played through The Fire in the Flood yesterday. She liked it but we couldn't tell if the game could be turned off and continued from that spot later, so we did it in one long run. I thought there were a lot of non-gameplay affecting bugs and one that eliminated the biggest threat in the questline. Design-wise, I think it creates a wall with how resource intensive it is to defeat enemies which in turn limits the accessible resources.

How's everyone's morning?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The more I chop enemies up in Nioh, the more I wish it included the nunchucks from Ninja Gaiden. Something for Nioh 2, hopefully.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Pigbuster posted:

The sequel looks like it'll be 100 times worse in that regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn0RpK_PP_Y

I wish there was a release date for this yet. The wife destroyed the first game so I'm eager to be able to hook her up with the sequel.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I took a peek into the long-term investing thread to see how I could do more today to help out future me, and god drat it's like I jumped into the DotA2 thread right after a major patch. Just streams of acronyms I don't understand and percentiles that don't make sense that make me want to close the door and pretend I didn't see anything. I need a "Popular Portfolio Builds for Level 30 Idiots" article or something, likely followed by a "Respeccing After A Market Crash" article.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Erata posted:

I'm not sure what Sonic Mania is, but it sounds like a lot of big deals are going down in that market sector.

~.gif of Jim Cramer holding over-sized gold rings and mashing his "Buy" button~

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

I've given Idle Thumbs several tries over the years but I could never really get into it because their roundtable format was too open and disorganized, I much more prefer something with a more focused theme for each episode like Retronauts or Watch Out for Fireballs or even the gaming episodes of Laser Time.

That and since everyone on it works in game dev there's too much self-promotion or playing softball with anything anybody is affiliated with.

I'm listening to the most recent Vidjagame Apocalypse right now and it's a mess. It's like they never listened to anyone else attempt a "Best Games of All Time" episode, or at least didn't think the format out very well. For those not listening, four people each have a list of 10 games they want to suggest, but only 20 make it to the final list. I would think that going around and discussing each game first and then making the cuts after all 40 titles have been brought up is the best way to organize it, but in this they are making the cuts right after talking about a game, shunting it off in favor of other games sight-unseen.

To be fair I love to hate Chris Antista and the podcasts he does. I keep listening and I keep thinking he's terrible, but the rest of the LT crew is alright. The recent episode about being out of touch with pop culture was fun.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If your workplace has employer-matching 401k, max that out. If you don't have that or want to save more, park as much money as you can in an IRA (Traditional or Roth will be better depending on your long-term income curve). An index fund like Vanguard's is your best bet for set-it-and-forget-it investment as they will automatically diversify your risk while also having the lowest fees, which is where people lose the most anyway

Yeah, I've maxed my contributions and my employer will match them. I fiddle with it every six months or so, just to look like I know what I'm doing. That post was borne out of a Gizmodo article on apps that help save money, specifically the app Acorns which can round up purchases and invest them into a diversified portfolio once it banks $5. It can also take recurring investments, so I can do $7 a week or something and just have that build, then it reinvests the dividends. My bank has a similar round-up program but it tops out at $300 a year and only puts it into savings. I know that investing is to real key to making money grow, so hopefully this will help with that a little. In the future, all games will have vital content locked behind season passes; I'm just trying to get my wargame chest in order before those dark days arrive.

(First ultrasound was great, Waffle Jr. looks like a gummy bear)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Yeah, ok. ~takes financial advice from an actual dog.~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

an actual dog posted:

woof woof ruff bark woof

I'll concede that a phone app isn't going to be the best way to plan for my retirement. My employer and I contribute to a 401k (I'm pretty sure, although I work for the government and I think I saw something about their investments not strictly being a 401k? I'm hazy on the details), so I guess the real question I have is should I open up a separate traditional e:Roth IRA through Vanguard on top of my existing retirement fund? The only way I can contribute more to my 401k each month is by mailing in a check with instructions, and that's not going to fly for the long term. I hear Vanguard name dropped often, so if I can sort out how many portfolios I should be thinking about managing I would feel like I'm on a better track.

I know this is a gaming chat thread and I could take my questions back to the D&D subforums but since my investment knowledge is based on the Ehrgeiz RPG and Fortune Street, I thought I'd tap my peers' brains first.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 15, 2017

• Locked thread