Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Yeah I also buy phones based on the fab process and the number of nits the screen produces, also to defend my purchase I will post a link to a samsung press release.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
There was some picture I saw of 3 galaxies, none of them had the same color it was great.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

mishaq posted:

hmmm yes, i love janitoring my piece of poo poo phone just like i love janitoring my piece of poo poo windows pc

anroid is bad but you must be doing something wrong if your windows pc needs janitoring

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
gnu/windows is free software

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

yes that one lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Larry Parrish posted:

Its less that I'm defending an android and more arguing that all major cellphone brands are incredibly loving bad

yes but at least you should get a phone that doesn't reboot when you call 911

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

MUST READ FOR XPERIA USERS! If the Twitter app still doesn't work then backup your phone and perform the software repair by connecting your phone to your PC with the usb cable. After that restore the backup from your PC or SD card and your good to go! Btw don't turn off or restart your phone after you reinstall Twitter or else the Twitter app won't work again!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

[–]crimeanmofoasdf 53 points 16 hours ago
This is worrying, only because I had credit card fraud for the first time ever right after buying mine. Just hoping it's not related to their apparent carelessness.
permalinkembedsavereportgive goldreply
[–]Audiman64 44 points 16 hours ago
Hmm, I had fraud on mine too. That's disturbing.
permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldreply
[–]crimeanmofoasdf 35 points 15 hours ago
Literally hours after purchasing I had fraudulent charges for cell phone related poo poo including tracfone service and asurion insurance
[–]squid267 36 points 15 hours ago
My cc got flagged for being part of a breach after buying the phone...

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the blob emoji were the only cool part of android really, as everything else on it is a garbage fire

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

My Linux Rig posted:

both terrible

no way

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
there is probably like 2 paying spotify premium users in Android, I can understand their position

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Celexi posted:

So after android split the payment part of Google wallet into its separate app android pay, they have now decided to put it back together again and rename it "google pay".
But you apparently still need both apps installed for it to launch, if you launch the standalone ones it tells you to open google pay instead.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

Generally speaking, updates remove bugs, but in the case of Google's 2016 Pixel XL, a new problem was introduced with the Android 8.1 update this January. When charging in certain circumstances, the OG Pixel XL will (dangerously) attempt to pull up to 40% more current than it has negotiated from the charger, repeatedly entering and leaving a charging state as the charger shuts off due to overcurrent protection.

quote:

The bug was initially reported to Google's Issue Tracker back in January, and almost two months on it doesn't seem to have been resolved.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/17/android-8-1-update-2016-pixel-xl-causes-potentially-dangerous-overcurrent-charging-bug/

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

a huwaei phone I had once had its stock flashlight app connect to the internet for unknown reasons.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Oh yeah I know but it wasn't comforting still as it could be fetching something from my google account to then export to china

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

https://www.amazon.com/BLU-R1-Cell-Phone-16GB/dp/B01H2E0KVA/

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

LastInLine posted:

it should be noted that youre looking at a specific subset of android users which is the group only interested in price

this group cares mostly about specs because its not like they can afford to shop based on how good an experience the device gives the user so they have to get the best crappy experience their $200 can buy and at that pricepoint some things like ram and software variant matter more than others

they dont mention the iphones performance for the same reason they dont mention the pixels or the galaxy s9 which is they cant afford one so it doesnt matter

they can afford a iphone se or a 6s

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Android updates haven't worked that way in a while now

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Sagebrush posted:

remember when they showed that google assistant that would call the hair salon or the restaurant for you and then it was never made available to the public because the entire thing was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

They have released it, it isn't available for gsuite accounts if that is what you mean

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I found out today that you can't rate apps in the play store anymore if you are using a gsuite account lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I had to replace the battery on a less than year old iphone after it started shutting down, my pixel works fine

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

sometimes I get a "data roaming" notification on my phone when I travel. i can't dismiss it, even when I go back to an area with coverage. i can snooze it, but it comes back an hour later, regardless of where I am. the only way to kill it is to reboot

anroid

That is more of your carrier loving up(sprint?) and it keeping losing signal and roaming, and you have the data roaming option off.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Actually from what I see sounds like you have a samsung phone lol

How to turn off Verizon's roaming notification
1. Go to "Settings"
2. Tap "Apps & Notifications"
3. Tap "Notifications"
4. Tap "Notifications" (yes, again, it's a new point, on her phone with a bell next to it)
5. Tap the three little dots at the top-right corner of the next screen
6. Tap "Show system" in the little menu that drops down then
7. Scroll way down to the entries called "Phone" (there are three of them on her phone)
8. Tap the third "Phone" entry (on her phone, it has a generic android icon next to it, not a telephone handset)
9. There you'll see "Verizon Roaming Status", but the switch will be grayed out (can't change it)
10. Instead tap the words "Verizon Roaming Status"
11. Tap "Importance"
12. Set it to "Medium" (=no sound anymore, but you'll still see the icon, a triangle in her case, in the status bar indicating that you're roaming) or "Low" (=you won't be notified at all when you're roaming)...we chose "Medium" and enjoyed the ensuing silence.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

rapeface posted:

last night i tried to open the camera on my pixel and it bootlooped for 5 minutes love that google having control of both the hardware and software allows them to have the same levels of polish that apple has

well, you're the person angry that google is taking away the "cool hacky parts of android" so you probably "hacked" your way into the bootloop

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

this is fake, no one has been able to redo it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
who knew a samsung phone was poo poo

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

If I buy this, is there any way it has all the radios needed to work on T-mobile? I'm done with phones that are bigger than the SE.

hard to tell, the specs I could find of it are from the model being sold in Europe, the verizon one doesn't list anything nor the palm website, if it is the same as the european one it will

quote:

GSM:
850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
UMTS:
850, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz
LTE (FDD):
Bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 17, 66

this lists it as having all the lte bands it needs for t-mobile, except the newer 600 mhz one

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

600mhz is mostly a coverage boost band, it carries further than the 850/900. If you're not out in the sticks you probably won't miss it.

tmobile also has 700 mhz which the phone supports, tmo has 700 mhz in same areas that it has 600 so they will be fine

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
they are still updating original pixel even though its past their official support time

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

The Management posted:

it was mostly a rigged demo and not a real thing.

it has been working for quite a while now

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

The Management posted:

the guy is an idiot etc but if I’m understanding correctly this means that google pay biometric authentication is a sham and not actually tied to the payment transaction.

Google pay doesn't have biometric authentication nor it claims to for payments, it does for sending money.

How it works is that up to a certain amount it can be used without unlocking and the bank is responsible if its a fraudulent transaction, over that limit the phone has to be unlocked and it is why it requires a screen lock

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
uhh, I am pretty sure a fingerprint works when you are asleep, so that wouldn't be an improvement

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

infernal machines posted:

sure, assuming you're willing to grab the person's hand or shove the phone under it and hope they don't wake up

most people won't wake up from that if you are slow enough.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

infernal machines posted:

and also doesn't require them to be conscious

uh that would be same even if it required open eyes, you can just open someone's eyes when they are unconscious lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah it is bad, but it is not really going to add any security to someone unconscious. Maybe when asleep, although a lot of people don't wake up if you open their eyelids when they are asleep

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't get it disabling the app entirely for a phone vs just disabling the fingerprint login. Could be that their app is so well made that they have no idea to block that per device and it just accepts using it on any device that exposes the capability which would be lol.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

not from this distance your honor

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

The MUMPSorceress posted:

lmao a bunch of gbsers in the tech support thread got their feelings hurt because I called anroid a poorphone

look at me I was trying to make fun of poor people and no one laughed with me, WTF?

You're better than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My pc uses less than a light bulb when idle and like a watt in sleep so that it updates itself when I am asleep