Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

So... how did the Malibu Stacy car become 20 feet tall?
At least that's consistent with the original Transformers cartoon. Soundwave and Megatron did that all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Funny thing about Norman Bates is, they actually did retcon his relationship with his mother in Psycho 2. At the end, after everybody's done trying to gaslight him and put him back away, a side character named Emma comes to the Bates house to tell Norman that she was his real mother, and that Norma Bates--the one he killed and impersonated--was actually her sister. He immediately whacks Emma in the head with a shovel and she takes Mother's place. Then in the next movie it turns out Norma was his real mother after all and Emma was a deranged aunt.

I was never a fan of The Principal and the Pauper, either.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

Hey, Moe, whatsamatta? You no talka wit you accent no more.
Please, please, ixnay on the Ohammar-may.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's that Super Eyepatch Wolf video essay about how the fans have been doing better with The Simpsons than the showrunners. I'm not gonna parrot the video but it echoes the sentiments I've felt for a while. Simpsons has a unique cultural cachet and I think they could do something really cool if they wanted to. They always get press whenever they give another auteur animator the couch gag, but it would be cool if they had a sideshow where they give an animator/animation team/what have you, a chance to make their own episode from the ground up. Their own art style, even different voice actors if they wanted to. They could treat it like they do the Treehouse of Horror episodes and not worry about continuity or even having to make sense.

Something to inject some life into the series.
I honestly had similar thought when I saw that "Serious Flanders" episode. If they want to do noncanon riffs like Superman's "imaginary stories" from the Silver Age, that'd still more interesting than the bland, labored almost-humor they've been doing. Now I'm wondering what a Masaaki Yuasa episode would be like.

*EDIT* Also a friend sent me this:

https://twitter.com/davidbcooper/status/1500922700444876801

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

Bart's canonical middle name is Jojo.
Oh snap.

Hm, The Simpsons in the style of a Jojo OP...

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

With the slow death of the Saturday Morning/first-run syndicated cartoon broadcast market since the early 2000s, I'm sort of wondering if there was anyone left that ever transitioned from the more or less 'kids cartoon' market to something like The Simpsons. I mean, I'm pretty sure even Seth MacFarlane did writing for some Cartoon Network kids stuff in the 90s before getting Family Guy into the shape it eventually became.
I know you said "Anyone left," but the late Sam Simon was a writer on the 1979 Filmation version of Mighty Mouse.

Along with Paul Dini, interestingly enough.

Scott Shaw!, who worked on, let's see... apparently every American cartoon ever... also did storyboards for an episode of Family Guy's original run, and absolutely hated it.

Scott Shaw! posted:

When I'd suggest some sort of minor gag... [the director] just looked at me and, deadpan, asked "why"? The designs of the characters were murder to draw, so bland and expressionless, but I was somehow expected to get more "acting" out of them. Believe me, Peter's model sheet poses for "happy" and "depressed" looked practically identical! I was told not to add eyebrows, not to distort eye-shapes, not to draw "cartoony" poses...but still, somehow, creating "acting". Yeah, right.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My dream disaster project is a Dune musical myself.
What gets me is how in Japan, seemingly any successful anime gets a stage musical--Saint Seiya, Prince of Tennis, Sailor Moon, friggin' Death Note.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

timefly posted:

They were just listing the jokes to illustrate how dense they are and/or how quickly they come in that scene.
I was talking about this with a friend just a few weeks ago WRT the "Die Bart Die" scene. It's a whole series of gags building on each other, like the show is "Yes, and"-ing itself, and trusting the audience to get the joke (especially the "No one who speaks German..." line).

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

mactheknife posted:

the mel gibson episode is bad but it did give us the dog with the shifty eyes which i still reference all the time

"It was symbolism! He was mad!" runs through my head constantly.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I was just thinking lately that Scooby-Doo has shown considerable staying power. A lot of it seems to be how it plays with its formula. Some versions follow it completely, others play around with it or subvert it or parody it, but the formula is always the reference point. Whatever happens, there's always a foundation to fall back on. At the end of the day, basically everybody knows what a Scooby-Doo plot is. It can always be renewed for a new generation because it'll always be new to somebody.

Or maybe I'm just on my third beer. Anyway.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Das Boo posted:

All I know from new Scooby Doo is that version where Shaggy dumped Velma for Scooby and she's still pissed about it. It sounds more sordid than it plays out, but that's exactly how she puts it.

And it's loving hilarious.
Personally, I loved when the gang teamed up with Harlan Ellison, playing himself, to rescue H.P. Hatecraft; also when they devoted a whole episode to a War of the Gargantuas homage.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I've only seen one clip of Scooby Doo and Kiss, and the entire thing was a big love letter to Jack Kirby. So I'm curious about the whole thing.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Raised by relatively permissive Catholics, and not only did they let me watch The Simpsons, my dad taped every episode. Meanwhile my best friend at the time definitely was not allowed to watch it. His family didn't even own a TV for a long time.

A few years ago there was a great article on Megan Phelps-Roper, who grew up in Westboro Baptist Church, but gradually unlearned what they taught her and left it. The most surprising thing about it for me was that Westboro didn't control their kids' media whatsoever. They went to public school, read Stephen King, watched TV, just like everybody else. They were so assured in their beliefs that they didn't consider any of it a threat. It's just that part of what made Megan leave was that she loved the movie Clueless, and was devastated when Brittany Murphy died.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The Simpsons arcade game has a kabuki actor as a boss (because apparently Channel 6 shoots a lot of jidaigeki shows), and I like to think he's Disco Stu before he rebranded.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Finally watched the Treehouse of Horror, and I'm sorry guys, but I didn't hate it.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

What I want to know is, what is Rocky and Bullwinkle's place in the modern landscape?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

For no particular reason, the other day I wound up thinking about "Homer's Triple Bypass," and how Lisa's immediate response to the situation is to research the condition and the surgery. Just struck me as a really nice character moment for her.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Gotta love the head-twist in the Tracey Ullman-style clip.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/977294738767339520

(most of these cartoons were after my time, so I'm afraid I can't join in the Hey Arnold love.)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Just the other day I watched Patrick H Willems' video dissecting Lemon of Troy as the perfect Simpsons episode.

I prefer Flaming Moe's, personally.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I wonder how many people think the Flaming Moe's song was a pure Simpsons invention and have never heard of Cheers
The real challenge is who out there gets the Shelley Long references.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

So she literally has no non-stereotypical hobbies, great. I'm surprised they didn't name her Ebony or Noire or some poo poo, lol.
Duckman already covered that territory in the 90's: a character named Ebony with clothes and hair right out of a 70's blaxploitation movie. Then at the end, Duckman asks her about it, and her answer is simply, "White writers."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Street Fighter is a terrible Street Fighter movie, but a great GI Joe movie, and worth watching for Raul Julia alone.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

Quite literally every “joke” is pointed out, explained, reiterated, and then pointed out again.
The Whiffenpoofs bit alone could have been trimmed to three lines.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Das Boo posted:

Like PostNouveau said, it has something to do with songs netting you more residuals. I don't exactly understand how it works, but I've heard coworkers on the writing/producing end joke about a few times now.

I get the sense it's like Gene Roddenberry writing lyrics for the Star Trek theme so he could claim royalties.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

It's hard to top a song that actually gets you in hot water with the city of New Orleans.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Dixville posted:

There are so many things like this where I was exposed to something through the simpsons as a kid and totally missed the joke. I was just thinking of one today, I always heard the words geodesic dome in that Kwik e mart song and it wasn't till years later I learned what the hell he was talking about. I thought it was something about a decent dome so I thought that was why it was funny or something. I don't know I was like 8 years old. I remember my mom also finding it amusing that I would sometimes laugh at things in the simpsons just because of the comedic timing and the way you could tell certain things were punchlines, and I didn't actually know why it was funny, I just laughed anyway.
On that subject:

https://twitter.com/cogentanalysis/status/1178814240523788293

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

We are probably at the stage where you have to intentionally expose your kids to early Simpsons for them to get it, sort of like sharing your favorite book. I probably get more jokes about 50's and 60's TV just because I watched a lot of Nick at Nite as an 80's kid, plus I have a geeky dad. If anyone says "Would you believe?" my brain will go straight to Maxwell Smart.

But then, you never know when something will experience a revival. I certainly never would have predicted Columbo being possibly the one thing the Internet agrees on. Heck, the first thing I heard on the radio was Rick Astley, and I thought about how remarkable it was that a song about how much he just loves commitment got memed by the Internet into 21st century relevancy.

For the record, my cousins have been going through it with their kids (5 & 11), and according to them, 22 Short Films About Springfield is the best one.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much all boomers will claim they used to be hippies in an attempt to not seem like TOTAL squares, but Helen and Jake actually having been hippies who went full-on yuppie (though pretty much every flashback suggests their personalities and ideals haven't really changed) gives them a pretty useful flexibility.
I read an article recently that pointed out that while 60s rock was embracing peace anthems, and didn't really start to get seriously anti-war until the 70s, there was also a wave of highly successful "support the troops!" country anthems at the same time. And it was by and large the same people listening to both.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

It had the start of a good joke when Krusty's gag gets only crickets and says "At least the crickets got it."

But then they had to go "And they're the toughest insects to please!"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Imagining a version of the Key & Peele Urkel sketch, but about the Simpsons.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I remember noticing that back in the episode with Jack Black running a comic store. Instead of a three-act story, it was really three stories segueing into each other.

I will admit that Alan Moore's "You liked how I made your favorite superhero a heroin-addicted jazz critic who's not radioactive?" and Dan Clowes' Batman fanart do occupy free space in my head.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

On the other hand: Tracey Ullman is free.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Last week I was catching up on the new season of It's Always Sunny, and thinking it was doing topical episodes right. Just introduce a subject, and see how these characters respond to it. So when the Gang is introduced to the concept of inflation, we get Mac and Dennis trying to start an inflatable sofa business, and Charlie investing in 35-year-old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Pies. It works much better than when the characters are just mouthpieces for whatever the writers support or oppose.

So I'd like to think the Futurama writers will take that approach.

I'd like to.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Sunny is unfortunately not immune from that, though it's mostly been very good about it. One particular episode that stands out to me is Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool from two seasons ago. It's, IMO, one of the worst episodes of the show because the characters are not acting like themselves at all and are clearly just playing strawmen for things the writers wanted to complain about.
That is exactly the episode I had in mind as a counterpoint, and probably would have brought up if I weren't phone posting at the time.

Alan_Shore posted:

Futurama? Satirising historical events? Well I never!
Satirizing is one thing. Satirizing well is another.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I'll admit it, I might be into a Marvel Letter Column movie.

A movie about the 70s or 80s Marvel Bullpen could probably work in general.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Today I learned Married With Children went 11 seasons.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Hadn't seen it before, and when It started with the general industry/dog incorporated joke, I was like oh that's a pretty decent dumb joke, maybe this won't be so bad, and yeah the jokes just sort of stopped and there was just this seemingly endless stretch of "oh look and epic cardboard box for fight, how whacky!". Really should of just had it as a two second background gag later in the episode or something.
Looking back, the giant cardboard fort feels like a Phineas and Ferb premise that wound up on the wrong show.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

White Light posted:

I like how the original joke for the simpsons doesn't even make sense anymore. They're yellow cause Matt wanted to make it seem like people needed to adjust the color knob on their television set, now it's that way Just Because.
Funny thing, for a long time, as an ignorant kid, thanks to the color scheme in Captain N, I would adjust my set when playing Mega Man so that he'd be blue and green and not blue and blue. Then Krusty went into that "blue-haired goon" rant, with clearly blue hair on my screen, and I realized I'd been doing it wrong most of my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I watched all of Monty Python when I was a teenager because al of it was up on Youtube in those days. I enjoyed it, but I could see how a whole lot had depreciated from not just being from a foreign culture, but from being from another era and not being on TV. So much of Flying Circus focused on the idea of being designed to blend in with with other TV, so presumably a lot of viewers would tune in at the middle of an episode and be very confused.
That was actually sort of my impression when I finally watched through all of it. While I largely felt it held up, I took their approach as, basically, "What if BBC programming just broke," so I imagine a lot of it makes more sense if you happened to be watching the Beeb back then.

If a single word pops to mind about modern Simpsons humor, it's "slideshow." Not even a Powerpoint presentation, but actual, physical slides. Like that Burns-at-Yale clip that was posted a while back. "Here's a thing about Yale. Here's another thing about Yale. Here's a thing about the Whiffenpoofs. Here's another thing about the Whiffenpoofs." And so on.