Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Just wanted to thank this thread for inspiring me to finally give the series a watch. I'd only seen two full episodes courtesy of my brother before but never sought it on my own. I'm in the middle of s3 now; 1 and 2 were great but people arent joking when they say it gets a lot better. . Homer catapulting the rabbit and him excitedly pointing out "street crime!" to his kids were my favorite gags so far.

So I have a really vague memory of being a kid and coming across my brother watching one night. Homer fell down a gorge, ended up near a drainage pipe of some kind and finding this grisly looking skull with worms crawling around, and he let out this really disturbing scream. Was this actually in an episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Huh, in my head he was an adult and it was just a head; either way thanks for helping me out!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Homer of the Bat was pretty loving good; loved the bit with the mystery spot. I heard the player who said "It's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited" had a lot of trouble with that line.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

Is Homer of the Bat the one where Homer stumbles onto a shrine to Camazotz and gains bat themed super powers?

poo poo. I ain't editing it, though.

I can't believe they showed Bart using a gun but maybe it just wasn't taken seriously back then. The gag of the robber (I can't remember his name, surfer voice) about to run into Bart but getting stopped by the narrow alley, good god did I laugh

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Das Boo posted:

I like the Daryl Strawberry taunt that inexplicably succeeds.

"They're professional atheletes, this kinda stuff rolls right off his back!"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

How does Bart write so high on the chalkboard in the intro

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Can't believe I watched that whole thing, and I can't believe people earnestly enjoyed it.

I'm on season 5 now, had to rewatch the "Hello, Mr. Thompson" bit a couple times because I kept laughing too hard

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Did Kevin Michael Richardson voice Hook in anything before or did they just grab someone from their bench

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

At least you took a line and expanded on it

I'm almost postive their only thought was "what if prince became princess lol"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Das Boo posted:

I'm old and don't understand Roblox.
But also don't explain it to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXlauRB1EQ

If there's one thing you should know about it, it's this.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I think it predates Minecraft, I remember playing it for a bit in the 00s but time just feels fucky to me these days.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Das Boo posted:

Holy hell, no wonder the games industry is going to poo poo. This is what sells.

Yeah, it's a nightmare. Some parents just don't pay attention to what their kids get into. It looks kind of like a lego game, what's the harm?

Actually, a few minutes after I posted that link I found out they're being sued for something involving predators.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

I’m also reminded of Homer vs. Patty & Selma when Bart and Mulhouse are taking their time to get to school on extracurricular sign-up day and a classmate says that “if they don’t get here soon, it’ll be T.S. for them.”

Surprised that one slid by.

I don't get it.

I've reached Season 8 and it's definitely gone weird places but I wouldn't say any of it's bad. I'm curious what made Hurricane Flanders so divisive among fans, though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

Tough poo poo (the answer, not me telling you tough poo poo :v:)

Oh duh, thanks.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

Hurricane Neddy is divisive? First time I’ve heard of this episode being polarizing among fans. It’s got a lot of great gags and a solid plot.

Maybe I'm misremembering, I thought I'd heard of it being considered a starting point for bad Simpsons before.

Edit: Yeah, I've seen it compared to Principal and the Pauper, which I should be getting to soon actually.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Barney the hardcore alcoholic being the sperm donor of dozens of babies is up there for me

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I'm on season 10, the only episodes I can think of that I wouldn't want to watch again are Lisa babysitting Bart and when Homer meets Baldwin.

The turn into jerkass Homer was pretty jarring in how abrupt it is. Casually telling Lisa to shut up stood out in particular

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Hyrax Attack! posted:

the show’s compulsion to have every wacky townsperson pop up at events whether it made sense or not.

I noticed this too, along with them being an angry collective more and more.

Was Lisa the Skeptic the angel skeleton one?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Between the Maude death and the horse jockey episode I think I'm tapped out. Was a great run.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Oh, those clips are part of what got me to watch in the first place. I wanted to see it at its best afterwards.

I thought I'd make it to the episode with the vendetta kid at least but oh well.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yes, that was just kids having fun while the grownups were at church, I believe.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

American Dad's been really good in the last couple seasons. Worst it's been imo is the season when it moved to TBS.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's so weird -- MOST of the episodes from that season don't even suck outright imho, but the only ones that stand out as good to me are the one where Snot learns karate from that guy whose hero is (pre-president) Joe Biden, the one where the old actress thinks Stan is a reincarnation of her dead husband, and the one where Stan tries to be cool with college kids & fails miserably.

Then the next season is probably in the top three of the entire show for me.

Yeah looking at the list for 12 the only episodes I didn't like were Fung and the texting episode, but I guess those were bad enough to bring my view on the season down. White Porsche Christmas is one of my all time favorites for instance.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, around 2019, I think.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

On its own i like the idea, but since it's modern Simpsons I get the feeling I'd make the same noise as Bob does

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Data Graham posted:

"That's a very nasty question, you're a terrible reporter"

Beautiful

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Dog Doug's from Teacher's Pet, I think?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

IUG posted:

Italian Bob is only the first “bad” episode you’ve seen if you missed the jockeys episode.

I think this was around the episode I checked out on my first watch.

The episode where Bart buried all their Christmas presents was the other one that I remember heavily disliking.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

To shreds, you say

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

He doesn't sleepwalk through any of it, despite the poor material at times. None of the cast does.

Yeah late Futurama has its cons for sure, but voice performance isn't one of them

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fairly Odd Parents comes to mind as going on waaay too long and they even introduced a new main character and then quietly stopped using him twice

What character was this?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Call Your Grandma posted:

bart is the rude one
well yeah, his name is brat rearranged

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Annabel Pee posted:

The worst one of these live action things I've seen so far.

What the hell is that. And to think I still have 8 seasons to go. Checking next episodes description, "Bart takes in a talented homeless woman." Sure, why not.

Amazing how one can lurk this thread for so long and still find "new" stuff to gawk in horror at.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah like you could tell me the new episode is the best the show has ever been but I'd stop watching after hearing some of these voices. Especially Marge "gargles with razors" Simpson

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I thought the Martin gag was actually pretty funny, but I've only seen it as a tweet/screencap and I have to assume it's for the best that way.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That sounds like a person with a cold doing a bad Marge impression. Some of the others were literal death rattles. I forget which one it was but I literally gasped, and I'm not doing a bit or being hyperbolic with my use of 'literal.'

There was some clip itt where Marge grows wings and flies off with a dude who told Lisa to smile, yelling "the future is now" that sounded pretty visceral.

There's also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfiix-xHwPM

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ahhh! Francine! Seagulls! This time they could drive!

I really don't like seeing animals get hurt but AD mostly does it in ways that manage to tickle me, like the suicidal lemur or when Stan's hacking his way through the jungle to rescue his CIA students

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

One of my favorites is cursed old Stan sliding down the mountain on that bull. I was choking the first time I saw that.

Holy poo poo I'd forgotten about this when it came up on my last rewatch and it took me so long to stop laughing. The slow-mo berry chomp during the falling sequence was great too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Halisnacks posted:

I guess they get all of the “old people jokes” mileage they need out of Abe, Burns, and I guess Skinner’s mother, but on the rare occasions she popped up I would wonder why she was otherwise so absent.

Maybe Kavner thought doing that voice too much would gently caress with her throat or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

womb with a view posted:

don't forget the marge playboy tie in

Someone here once pointed out Groening put his name on that but refused to put his name on the Critic crossover episode and it still amuses me