Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hybrid Heaven was the best game on N64 and the best RPG of the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like the old shooters because you get to spend every minute of your play time having fun, instead of watching cutscenes or listening to dialog and thinking about how fun the game might be once it lets you play.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just found out that speedrunners of Super Mario Galaxy use a technique named the "Wet Nut Jump" to bypass much of the game which has immediately made Super Mario Galaxy the most underrated game of all time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I know that Super Mario Galaxy is overrated, but no one is giving the Wet Nut Jump enough credit.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://smo-speedrun.fandom.com/wiki/Nut_jumping

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The next billion dollar Indie game will be a spiritual sequel to Shut Up And Jam Gaiden where you travel through time to assemble a team of the Greatests of All Time. By the end you travel to Neo-Olympus with greats such as Wayne Gretzky, Yogi Berra, Zinedine Zidane and Muggsy Bogues to put a stop to Zeus and the rest of the Olympics once and for all.

I know this because I am already halfway done with the script.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

You can't have a small less popular thread in the game forum as it's too busy. Which kind of sucks for smaller games. I'm not bitter my poor Slipways thread didn't take off or my Storybook Brawl thread just had me in it. Noooooo not at all!

There is a stickied thread in the games forum that is nothing but a list of all of the game-specific threads in the games forum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952822
If you post them there so the OP can add them to the first page then more people will see them!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

sebmojo posted:

I finally finished crysis 2 and it was fun, the story was agreeably twisty for a simple videogame, and there was some solid Peter watts biohorror in there

I haven't played that game since it released in 2011 but I still remember it as the last good singleplayer FPS I played.

edit: I have also very much enjoyed watching Amazon's marketing team change the copy on their ads for New World throughout the day. It didn't take long before they started just saying "Everything you've heard is a lie, come try for yourself!"
I've never wanted to see a game crash and burn more than New Worlds

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 29, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

!Klams posted:

Oh really, why what does it do? (I've finished the first one, and don't necessarily agree with you, but definitely understand where you're coming from)

It adds a bunch of new zany vehicles to get around in, more action-based missions and shooting, a race mode that lets you race cars around the map, a way to just launch cargo to its destination instead of carry it, and it lets you build ramps to use to do tricks with your motorcycle. If you think this is a fakepost you're wrong

I didn't like the base game so it sounds like maybe it would be fun because it gives you tools to avoid the parts I didn't like (endless walking, climbing videogame mountains, going a long-rear end distance then realizing this route won't work, being slowed down by encumbrance, poor navigation systems in general, crafting, nothing to do for 99% of your playtime) but from what I hear those parts are all there really is to the game lol

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 1, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

But also one day I had an 8.5 hour supercut of all of the Death Stranding cutscenes running in the background and it gave me a weird sense of dread and unease all the way through and there's nothing about them I would be interested in seeing again so I guess it doesn't sound fun after all. Everything about that game just seems like an immersive fever dream and I mean that in the worst way possible.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Pathfinder games are the best CRPGs ever made if your brain is big enough to handle more than 'read text and click enemy haha'

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I actually unironically believe they are the best CRPGs ever made but I only ironically insult people for not liking them, you can like whatever you want

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They're the only CRPGs I have ever played that actually feel like they are about the roleplaying aspect and developing a character who is going on a grand adventure that includes more than the usual videogame trappings of "pick good or evil, cast strong spell on enemy, gently caress your companions and read linear narrative". They're also the only good CRPGs that have even attempted injecting anything more than what was found in Baldur's Gate 1 into the mix in the form of adding other systems to engage with the world and plot, like kingdom or crusade management, even if they're not great. They are the only contemporary CRPGs that do not have "streamline and simplify" as a cornerstone design philosophy which owns. They both do fun and non-stereotypical things with alignment and morality and they just feel like they were designed with a kind of love that goes beyond sales figures. They are the only CRPGs that have ever successfully implemented both Real Time With Pause and tabletop-authentic turn based modes that can be switched between on the fly which gives you the best of both worlds - fun turn-based tactical fights for things that are difficult and breezing through in real time for the things that aren't. They have more content packed into them than any other CRPG I can think of and they are truly an evolution of the isometric CRPG genre.

But they are hella dense and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to put 100+ hours into one of them to make it to the end of character creation.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 2, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The new Pathfinder game owns because where Baldur's Gate went "Hey you're the child of baal" and told you a 200 hour story about the child of baal, Pathfinder goes "Hey what extradimensional power are you the child of?" and then it takes the one you pick and runs with it for another 200 hours where you resolve the problems of the game world within the trappings and context of the diety you aligned yourself with.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Super Metroid was cool but I have never understood what people saw in Metroid Prime. I never bothered to try any other Metroids after playing them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

https://twitter.com/TurboJehtt/status/1449499315970314242

Unpopular opinion: speedrunners are creating a new pro-communist sexual archetype and that's the real reason that girls don't like me

This video is a much better way to read that post than reading that post:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1449634335166959618

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

Cheating at multiplayer games is awful but sometimes it gives us good stories like this

For anyone who finds this entertaining I highly recommend reading up on "MUGEN Cheapies":
https://mugen.fandom.com/wiki/Cheapie

I promise it will be one of the most bizarre and fascinating video game reads of 2021. It involves a tier list of MUGEN character types that were developed in an escalating bid to create the most devastatingly-unbeatable MUGEN character possible. I will spoil this one for you, which is not even the final form:

Frost-tier Cheapies, which are upgraded versions of Omed-tier cheapies in terms of coding. These cheapies use C# rather than M.U.G.E.N's standard C as their programming language, and can have a varying amounts of .exe files at their disposal. These cheapies are the first on this list to be considered malicious by disabling the task manager.

I don't know if it's real or fake but :shrug:

quote:

Controversy
Due to not functioning at all like regular characters, their inability to be K.O.'d through normal means and that they cannot be controlled by the player, among other things, cheapies have been the subject of dispute outside the cheapie community.

More recent cheapies (known as Postman, Secretary, malware or virus characters) use external .exe, .bat, .vbs, .dll and/or .ini files to remove characters from the user's computer, but can also disrupt the system by removing important system files and causing it to behave erratically. Because of this, the MUGEN Database stopped allowing further cheapies to be added to its articles to prevent the risk of malware characters being on the site.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 2, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

galagazombie posted:

Online matchmaking is what really kneecapped modern day co-op. When you’re put together with rando’s who you have no rapport with and because you are put with new people every match cannot build a rapport with. And the dev cannot guarantee you have a mike or indeed anyway of actually communicating with your teammates. You can’t actually design the game around collective problem solving or coordination because the players might not actually have the means to do so.

Even competitive shooters suck because of matchmaking. Having distinct Counterstrike servers with their own regular playerbase and names to watch out for every night was fun as hell

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I quit Nier Automata after my first playthrough when I found out that your reward is to do the whole same thing again except as a different weaker character with a few changed lines of dialog, and that people say you didn't actually play the game really if you don't do that loop like 4 times. Then I spoiled the story for myself and it turns out it's all extremely predictable and the things I assumed in the first 30 minutes of the game were true, like all of the humans being long dead and the war being pointless and it's basically a retelling of I Am Legend

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 3, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I fail to see the comparison between automata and I am legend.

• There was a war between humans and robots
  • The robots won and the humans are long gone
  • now you are a robot that belonged to the humans and had the mission to protect humans, so you go around slaughtering robots
  • you find out that the robots have their own society and emotions and intelligence and are essentially the new form of dominant life
  • You realize you were the monster all along

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It also did essentially the same thing Spec Ops: The Line did which was try to make the player feel emotionally responsible for the digital, pre-programmed lives of simulated designated enemies in a videogame by... telling you how much they didn't deserve to die after you killed them? But because their inclusion in that game and that sort of storytelling means that the purpose of their entire existence is to be killed to drive an emotional point, you were helping them fill their existence's only purpose by killing them, which is what their creators intended for them, so...? I don't know, both of those beloved games totally failed to resonate with me because they work under the presupposition that the player can't differentiate intelligent life from simulated pixels with rudimentary AI.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

Do you just not understand the idea of a written story? I won't defend the game story (it's boring) but saying you don't by into it because the characters are pixels is like saying you don't buy into a book because it's all just words and lines anyway, man.

It's not about the story being "bad" so to speak, it's about the fact that both of them are lauded as these deeply resonant emotional experiences that transcend the art of videogames but... what?

Spec Ops: The Line is a pretty standard and generic military shooter where you move through linear levels and kill all of the enemies on the way. Sometimes an event will come up where there are like a lot of enemies in a building and your handler says "Press X to use White Phosphorous grenades to kill them all!" and then you Press X and the enemies all die, and then there's some voice lines about how terrible you (the player) are for just following orders like that and allowing all of those people to suffer with horrible painful weaponry. Many players think the game is deeply emotionally resonant because doing that made them feel deep emotional anguish and regret and it made them question their willingness to just follow orders and question their place in the story, but are you loving kidding me? Maybe it's because I've been playing videogames since the 8-bit era but I'm sorry, you can't give me a videogame where my linear, must-be-completed-to-progress task is "Do X" and then tell me I'm a terrible person for Doing X and expect it to actually hook me emotionally. It's not like I had a choice, the game isn't designed to let me find a peaceful, non-war-crimes way to resolve the conflict.

But here's the thing - I followed those orders because it's the only way to progress in the videogame, which is a simulated environment with no repercussions, where I do not need to worry about harming anyone because there's no one to harm. So okay you can have a story about my character feeling bad about it but that's an entirely different kind of experience and narrative that is best not told in a videogame, because it's a story about a specific predetermined character and their emotions instead of about the player.

Gaius Marius posted:

Well one the humans were gone before the robots ever showed up. Two everything else you said is wrong except the machines having their own society.

Maybe the game should have told its story sometime within its runtime instead of requiring 4 repeat near-identical playthroughs to find that out, lmao

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 3, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oh I absolutely agree and you're right, a game doesn't need a player-centric story and telling linear stories in videogames is good and fine. It's specifically the story of "You need to question what you've done! How could you just follow orders?!" in a medium where there is literally nothing to do except follow the developer's orders that is dumb.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So that's what the title refers to :thunk:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Bushido blade was so goddamn good

it was the last good fighting game

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

nvidiagouge posted:

Not really. The way you acquire and spend a lot of the Civ resources you manage is fairly automated. My food feeds directly into my cities and creates pops, it doesn't collect into this massive pool of multiple other resources I have to constantly build storage for across the galaxy. Then there's the other non-tangible resources like empire sprawl and admin capacity that also require more resource producing buildings and also here's a bunch of buildings that only serve the purpose of converting one resource to another at an inefficient rate. It's overly complex compared to either spending time and production or gold to get things in Civ and building things that convert resources instead of producing them is just more busy work.

This made me think of Industries of Titan which is a city builder/management game with a really cool aesthetic and sounds like it would be a great game, except literally the entire gameplay loop is mine tier 1 resource -> refine it to tier 2 -> refine that to tier 3 -> build things.

A tier 1 resource translates 1:1 to a tier 3 resource, it just takes time to convert it. A tier 3 resource is exactly the same as a tier 1 resource, but it counts as 25 times as many. All of your resources are finite. So there is no reason to ever, under any circumstances, use tier 1 or tier 2 resources. They exist for the sole purpose of being refined as the only gameplay loop.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 12, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played the poo poo out of Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2. I bought each one on multiple platforms and played through each one like 4-5 times, and beating a game much less replaying it is incredibly rare for me. I was more excited for DS3 than anyone.

Except I literally forgot that I beat Dark Souls 3 until I looked at a list of bosses last month and went "Oh, I remember all of those, I guess I did beat it." There was nothing memorable about it - none of the environments, NPCs, weapons, or bosses stand out to me and I can't even remember them without looking them up.

The combat systems had slowly mutated over time and over subsequent games but it just sucked in DS3. Shields were neutered and enemies were given tons of huge, sweeping attacks that came out extremely fast which forced you into a few distinct playstyles like "parry everything" or "roll in, hit once, roll away". It wasn't even 'difficult' so much as your avenues of approach to attack enemies had been minimized and constrained so much so that you would have to "git good" (e.g. learn perfect parry timing or memorize attack patterns and opening timing to weave a calculated amount of attacks in between dodges), instead of "git good" it was more like "learn to become a round peg so you can go in the round hole". Every method of player power from the first two games was heavily nerfed, like poise, heavy shields, weapons with huge reach, etc. so it felt incredibly constricted and guided into a specific playstyle.

The only memorable enemy was the big rat/cat thing that was maybe a mimic or something and I think showed up one time in the entire game?

Anyway, Dark Souls 3 was an incredibly bad game and completely misunderstood what made Dark Souls games good and it was disheartening because of how good the first 2 were. It felt like the entire thing was pandering to Dark Souls Youtubers and people who liked to pretend they could be Dark Souls Youtubers.

edit: The thing that made DS1+2 so good IMO is that they were essentially games of observation, situational awareness and waiting for the right moment to strike. They were games about being a timid knight in a big clunky suit of armor and cowering in your booties but eventually winning via cowardice and patience, whereas Bloodborne and DS3 feel like they're trying to be serious action combat games and whiffing in the wake of actual good serious action combat games like devil may cry, bayonetta, ninja gaiden, etc. Sekiro was alright because it tried to do its own thing but doesn't hold a candle to DS1/DS2. Elden Ring looks dope though.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 16, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dark Souls 3 is fundamentally different in that it nerfed the poo poo out of shields which dramatically changed everything about the game and the pacing of its combat for the reasons discussed in my last post

e: I think it did anyway. It was all so forgettable that I can't remember but if I remember right there wasn't a single shield that was even worth using because they all had their stability tanked so low that it just blows out your stamina to block a hit

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 16, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I would play it again to remember what I didn't like about it but last time I tried that (last month) I didn't even make it to the first post-gundyr boss before I remembered that I hated it an uninstalled.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Video games and what makes them fun is incredibly subjective and I won't judge anyone for liking Dark Souls 3 but someone on this page was praising its art direction and that is incredibly wrong and very upsetting to me.

Check out this Google Image Search for "Dark Souls 3", if you squint really hard you can see at least 4 different colors

Almost everything in the game is some shade of yellow or orange. Everything that is any other color is blue, and also incredibly desaturated and dulled out.

Check out this Google Image Search for "Dark Souls 3 bosses":

Almost every single one of them is indistinguishable at thumbnail size. They are all vaguely humanoid, wearing vaguely similar armor in similar colors, carrying large weapons. They all follow the exact same palette logic: bright yellows/oranges, dull blues, lots of greys. Almost every boss has long flowing white hair.

Check out this Google Image Search for "Dark Souls 3 environments"

Are you surprised yet that every single one of them is yellow, orange, and blue? Are you surprised that, despite being screenshots from scattered areas around the entire game, every single one looks like the exact same environment?

See the screenshot at the bottom with bright green effects? Yeah, that's from a mod. If it's not blue or yellow, it's not a Dark Souls 3 art asset.

Well it's at least got some cool enemies, right?

Haha no, and I'm sure you're not surprised - every single one of them is a tall, skinny humanoid in yellow or blue armor. In this entire field of screenshots the only one whose profile stands out at a glance is... the one with angel wings, which is from a mod.

Now compare it all to the same searches for Dark Souls 2. Here's Dark Souls 2 environments:

Oh, look at that! Different environments have different color palettes. There are greens and pinks and purples and reds. Despite all of the environments featuring ruins, they each have a different aesthetic and ambiance and they stand apart. Everything looks fantastical. They have different lighting and moods.

Or Dark Souls 2 bosses:

Sheesh, there's hardly a humanoid among them! They all look different, they have different sizes and silhouettes. Different colors make appearances and they each have their own mood.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 16, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Criticizing a thing's art direction by amalgamating several still images into a composite in order to compare color palette usage is in fact very normal and not "next level" at all.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I found the worst article about video games to ever exist and now I feel sick
https://www.fandom.com/articles/skyrim-dungeons-dragons-dnd

"If You Love ‘Skyrim’, You’ll Love D&D. Here’s Why!"
  • because D&D and Skyrim both have multiple classes
  • They both have side-quests
  • You can play a Skyrim campaign in D&D or even pretend Skyrim is part of D&D

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The part that makes me feel sick is imagining the kind of person who loves Skyrim so much that they would put together a D&D group and then surprise everyone with an announcement that they will be playing a Skyrim-themed campaign, and would then probably want to run the same campaign over and over for 10 years.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

Watching someone else replay video games for pretty much any reason other than getting better at the video game or solving a puzzle or something proves you to be subhuman.

I know someone who tried streaming for a while and when I told him I didn't really understand the concept of watching people play video games he said "You must have been an only child, huh?"

No, I wasn't, and that's exactly why I don't want to spend my time watching someone else play a videogame

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rutibex posted:

i see you have never read Infinite Jest

lol but also that's something I've been trying to explain to people about that book for ages and that sums it up very succintly.

It's a book where you have to pass a skill check to get all of the content, but also a book designed around not needing to pass every skill check

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

james joyce invented the soulslike genre by writing the original dark souls of books: all of his books.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In that you're going to experience endless death every time you try to read them and they're most impressively enjoyed using a DDR pad

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

kntfkr posted:

ulysses is straight up unreadable

sorry you failed the skill check bud. I passed it and wow I can see how brilliant this is, and I got 13XP from reading it :smug:

INELUCTABLE MODALITY OF THE VISIBLE: AT LEAST THAT IF NO MORE, thought through my eyes. Signatures of all things I am here to read, seaspawn and seawrack, the nearing tide, that rusty boot. Snotgreen, bluesilver, rust: coloured signs. Limits of the diaphane. But he adds: in bodies. Then he was aware of them bodies before of them coloured. How? By knocking his sconce against them, sure. Go easy. Bald he was and a millionaire, maestro di color che sanno. Limit of the diaphane in. Why in? Diaphane, adiaphane. If you can put your five fingers through it, it is a gate, if not a door. Shut your eyes and see.

Stephen closed his eyes to hear his boots crush crackling wrack and shells. You are walking through it howsomever. I am, a stride at a time. A very short space of time through very short times of space. Five, six: the nacheinander. Exactly: and that is the ineluctable modality of the audible. Open your eyes. No. Jesus! If I fell over a cliff that beetles o'er his base, fell through the nebeneinander ineluctably. I am getting on nicely in the dark. My ash sword hangs at my side. Tap with it: they do. My two feet in his boots are at the end of his legs, nebeneinander. Sounds solid: made by the mallet of Los Demiurgos. Am I walking into eternity along Sandymount strand? Crush, crack, crick, crick. Wild sea money. Dominie Deasy kens them a'.

Won't you come to Sandymount,
Madeline the mare?

Rhythm begins, you see. I hear. A catalectic tetrameter of iambs marching. No, agallop: deline the mare.

Open your eyes now. I will. One moment. Has all vanished since? If I open and am for ever in the black adiaphane. Basta! I will see if I can see.

See now. There all the time without you: and ever shall be, world without end.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 8, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

apparently halo infinite has an ending after all :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played 2 hours of the halo infinite campaign and two of these three things are actually in the game:

1) A woman named Whispers who always speaks in a whisper
2) The line "It'd be a great idea if we were in outer space, but this is more like... inner space."
3) Enemy voice lines when they kill you talking about how they're bored of killing you so much.